Alternator whine using SNHOND3

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 05:53 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator whine using SNHOND3

Hello to all on the board. This is my first post as I just picked up the TSX 2 weeks ago.
After reading all the FAQ's I could find, I ordered the SNHOND3 to interface my Delphi Sky-Fi XM Radio. I must say it is a great improvement over the cassette interface in the old Saab!
I took the precaution of installing the Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator (very necessary), but am still left with a small, but slightly annoying amount of alternator whine in the signal. It is present whether or not the Sky-Fi is powered on. Has anyone else encountered this?
The audio cables are mounted on the right side of the center console (not inside of it) under the moulding and enter the interface from the rear right side as there is an easy to use opening. The GLI is mounted very close to the SNHOND3 interface.
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 08-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by big eric
Hello to all on the board. This is my first post as I just picked up the TSX 2 weeks ago.
After reading all the FAQ's I could find, I ordered the SNHOND3 to interface my Delphi Sky-Fi XM Radio. I must say it is a great improvement over the cassette interface in the old Saab!
I took the precaution of installing the Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator (very necessary), but am still left with a small, but slightly annoying amount of alternator whine in the signal. It is present whether or not the Sky-Fi is powered on. Has anyone else encountered this?
The audio cables are mounted on the right side of the center console (not inside of it) under the moulding and enter the interface from the rear right side as there is an easy to use opening. The GLI is mounted very close to the SNHOND3 interface.
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Might be a stupid question...but most ground loop isolators need to be installed in a certain direction. Usually the male ends go toward the source. They are meant to plug int female head units or different source leaving you with the female side to install extension RCA's. If you have the male ends plugged into the soundgate, then it may be backwards. I know it would be if you used a PAC SNI-1 and a few others I know of.

HTHs,
JT
Old 08-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Instructor

Where is the GLI placed? Try and place it as far away from the center console. You might want to try under the steering wheel. I have the same problem as you. Right now the GLI is underneath the glove box. I just haven't had time to move it.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by coasterlvr
Might be a stupid question...but most ground loop isolators need to be installed in a certain direction. Usually the male ends go toward the source. They are meant to plug int female head units or different source leaving you with the female side to install extension RCA's. If you have the male ends plugged into the soundgate, then it may be backwards. I know it would be if you used a PAC SNI-1 and a few others I know of.

HTHs,
JT
actually that is not true at all, all a GLI is is a 1:1 ratio transformer that isolates the source from the unit it's plugged into.

if you install a GLI you need to make sure its located far from ANY electrical source.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bass Mechanic
actually that is not true at all, all a GLI is is a 1:1 ratio transformer that isolates the source from the unit it's plugged into.

if you install a GLI you need to make sure its located far from ANY electrical source.
SNI-1 is not 1-1 transformer
it has 1-1.3 gain. put it in backwards and you lose gain
also if you put it in backwards and need the chassis ground it also will ground the wrong side.
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/sni1.htm

Also the radio shack version has not so good freqency response. Very old school style when they all used to cut out all the bass.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:20 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks to all for the good ideas so far. THe RS GLI has male RCA's at each end and is not specific as to installed direction. First, I will try moving the wiring to see if the whine is due to proximity to the source. Next, will try better grounding on the Soungate adaptor as suggested by others.