Alternator rewinding...those with systems read :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay here's an update guys. I talked with Gus (my guy I've been talking to) and he didn't give me any pricing answers aside from "oh yeah it'll be less than $400". So I talked to Tom (owner) hoping to get answers. I didn't get too many answers either...what I need now is for anyone interested to SPEAK UP.

List your first name (full name in PM later so you guys don't have to post all your personal info on here...I'll let you know when I need it), you car model and year, and then go look for your alternator and read off the DENSO and any other numbers you have on it. For instance, for my 2002 TLS I have CLG69 DENSO on my alternator. That's the number I need.

This week we're taking care of all of it, so I need everyone who even might be interested to do what I said above. I can't get a pricing until I have everyone in, and the pricing will be different for different models, so I can't get it priced until I know something.

Any other updates I will let you guys know, and sorry to throw you all around, but I'm being thrown around.

Austin519
Old 01-26-2002, 05:17 AM
Banned

Okay guys another update...96TL you will be the one I'm mainly talking to as everyone else is quiet on this thread. I talked with Wrangler NW as well as Ohio Generator again. I'm going to send in my alternator I believe Monday, I just deposited some cash so I can go ahead and do this. I haven't seen anyone post their Denso numbers or anything, so I don't have any specific prices, but expect around $400. Wrangler NW quoted me $750 retail, $550 wholesale, and $490 for a 10+ groupbuy...so screw them. We're staying with Ohio Gen. So per their instructions, they want mine first, work on it, then get everyone else's. Plus they feel that after they work on mine and return it, I reinstall it, and being a EE/Comp. E, after I test it, they will have earned everyone's trust and you all can do it. So that's that. Anyone still interested let me know. 96TL I want acknowledgement from you...and I'm PMing jens right now to find out about his guys.

Austin519
Old 01-26-2002, 02:50 PM
Ex-Mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, OK, so now our factory alternator IS gonna be rewound or are they giving us a new one? Will the upgrade be the same as the other shop? 180 amps? How long will it take to be done? Any warranty? Enough questions?
Old 01-27-2002, 03:37 AM
Banned

96TL:
Lots of questions, not many answers.
1) Hmm, OK, so now our factory alternator IS gonna be rewound or are they giving us a new one?
-Depends on what your alternator is, is what they said. Mine will probably be rewound. Older ones will probably be replaced. That is why I HAVE TO HAVE your Denso number (go grab it off your alternator...you should be able to see it easily enough, I did).

2) Will the upgrade be the same as the other shop?
-Yes it will...the difference is that the other shop would only do replacements, Ohio Gen. does rewinds and replacements, and so if you can get a rewind it will save you cash, but at the same time you will have a backup with a replacement (but it's like keeping a backup for your stock alternator...these are no more likely to burn out so a backup is not needed).

3) 180 amps?
-Yes

4) How long will it take to be done?
-24 hour turnaround...so you send it in say, Monday, they get it Tuesday, they get it done by Tuesday or Wednesday...they Send it off and you get it Wednesday or Thursday, so it's a 24 hour turnaround...but with shipping it's a 2 day or 3 day ordeal.

5) Any warranty?
-1 year no questions asked warranty.

6) Enough questions?
-Nah

Austin519
Old 01-31-2002, 07:43 PM
Pro

Austin,

Hey, sorry it took so long for my reply. I have been way too busy lately. Just wondering if you guys ever ended up finishing this deal. Did you guys get replacement alternators or have your re-wound? What did it cost you guys?

Bryan
Old 01-31-2002, 08:01 PM
Banned

autophile1:

Actually not done yet And 96TL is going to kill me, but I'm waiting till this weekend to send it off...that way I don't have it there over a weekend where they can't work on it but my car is dead. So mine is going off this weekend. The total cost is abotu $350-$400 max...that's assuming I believe they have to replace your alternator entirely.

Austin519
Old 01-31-2002, 09:28 PM
Ex-Mod

Originally posted by Austin519
And 96TL is going to kill me
C'MON MAN! HURRY UP! Just joking. Take your time Austin. I know how it is. Just let me know whats going on.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:41 PM
Banned

Okay guys...I removed and shipped off my alternator...the thread about that is below...anyone interested in doing this find out how to remove your alternator below:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=32562

I've officially shipped it off now, so we'll be done with this all soon. Cheers guys,

Austin519
Old 02-06-2002, 11:08 AM
Banned

Okay another update....got a call at 11AM from Tom today...I don't think I mentioned how nice of a guy he is. So, he told me they were done with the alternator (<24hr turnaround) and were ready to ship it back to my place. So I should have my alternator by Friday....

The good news:
They were running it at 190A, with a max output of 200A!!! That's an increase of 66% over stock! Woohoo!!!

He said that the final price is $450, and may flucuate SLIGHTLY for others. Whoever is interested, now is the time for you to contact Ohio Generator. Call (330) 875 6677, ask for Tom, and tell him who you are and that you're Austin's friend from the Acura forum and you need your alternator rebuilt as well. He'll probably want your Denso # on the alternator...but if you send it in, then well they'll have it anyway. But if you want immediate pricing over the phone that's what they'll need. I suggest anyone interested do what I did this weekend. Take your alternator out Sunday night (per my instructions I posted), ship it off USPS express overnight Monday morning (higher chance of overnight, because it's guaranteed only for 2 day) for $35-$40 (instead of $100 with Fedex), they'll get it Tuesday and have it done Wednesday and ship it back 2 day to return Friday.

CALL THEM GUYS, that means you 96TL, ZodiakTL, digitalgm, and autophile1. I will be PMing all of you to remind you. I'll let you know when I get it back and installed. Cheers,

Austin519
Old 02-08-2002, 09:03 PM
Banned

Another update....the damn alternator is stuck in Memphis, TN and is supposed to be here tomorrow (Saturday). I had to give them hell just to get an assurance that it'd be here then...they were going to say Monday otherwise. Ah well...hopefully I'll have it tomorrow, reinstall it, and give results.

Austin519
Old 02-08-2002, 11:49 PM
Ex-Mod

I spoke with Gus again. He said he's not supposed to deal directly with the public and I'm gonna have to either find someone who wants to become a distributor, or go through one of their current distributors. I have to call back and get a definite answer from him. He wants to speak with you and Tom about it. I dont think I'll be getting this done anymore. It doesnt sound good. Plus now if I go through a distributor it will cost me more money and it will take longer to do.
Old 02-09-2002, 12:46 AM
Banned

96TL:
What the he||. This really pisses me off. First they say "oh yeah, we can definitely do it...groupbuy? Great sounds wonderful! Then they start backpedalling. I don't understand this dude. They said they could give wholesale prices and be OK...wholesale being $450 or so. I'll have to get them to talk to Tim about this...that's what I'd suggest you do as well...go tell them to talk to Tim, set him up, and get it done. This is total bull****!

Austin519
Old 02-12-2002, 04:14 AM
Banned

Okay...yeah...if I could embody FedEx in a person I would strap him to my wall and torture him with all sorts of dull knives...oh man. Love that great FedEx promise...we'll guarantee two day...that is, unless we have a problem that would cause the package not to get there in 2 days, then it's not our fault.

This is almost exactly what I just heard on the phone a few hours ago (F=Fedex,A=Austin):
F:"Yes, Austin, we see your package left Louisville, OH on Wednesday."
A:"Right, it was shipped then."
F:"Yes sir, and then it arrived at our Memphis, TN station."
A:"Right...and you haven't had any updates since then (I was told this before)."
F:"Yes, that is correct."
A:"Right...and that last update was 5 days ago...on the 7th right?"
F:"Uh huh."
A:"And it's now the 12th...and you're saying you don't know where my package is...would this be grounds for a refund?"
F:"Well there was an ice storm, so our guarantee doesn't extend."
A:"I was told it was a brief 2 hour ice storm in TN that delayed the package."
F:"Uh huh."
A:"Does a brief 2 hour ice storm delay a package 3 days?"
F:"I don't know."
A:"Do you know where my package is."
F:"Well I told you it was last scanned in...<I interrupt>."
A:"Yes on the 7th I know...do you know if it's in TN?"
F:"It could be."
A:"But it could be somewhere else?"
F:"Sure."
A:"So you have no !@#%^*) idea where my package is?"
F:"Well it was last scanned in...<ARRRGGHHH!!!!>"
<click>

So basically I want to KILL FedEx...one person told me straight, and I appreciate it, and said...
"No we have no clue where your package is. It was probably packed in with a lot of non 2 day freight that also was delayed, as most of our packages are non 2 day, and they aren't going to unpack that huge group of packages until they have to...so you'll be waiting for awhile...it sucks, I know...but welcome to FedEx."

That's also almost word for word...man I just love it when people do their jobs WRONG!

I want to show the puke smilie on the word FedEx...but it always shows up as :p uke: (that's puke but the : and P make the stick out tongue smilie)

Austin519
Old 02-14-2002, 01:43 AM
Banned

Update...well I put the alternator back in...loaded it up...hit 200A output...DAMN THAT UPGRADE WAS WORTH IT. I'll post pics tomorrow. For those that want to do it...Ohio Generator says they have to have a guy to deal with...so I can go get a vendor license and they will set me as the vendor for anyone interested....or we can convince Tim to...more later...

Austin519