alternative ipod mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004 | 01:45 AM
honk not beep

alternative ipod mount

So far what i've seen on the forums is that the ipod mounts are going in the center console. From what I've read a couple people put it underneath the hu, so here are my pics from my install

The compartment that once contained "this is not an ashtray". I took that red thing out by brute force with some pliers.

Pic of the compartment open

I dremmeled the back of the compartment to fit the dension ipod docking station in it.

Pic of the front view.. the dremmeling wasn't completely even but oh well, no one will see it anyways

Rear pic of the hole

Another pic of the hole

Pic of the ipod mounted. Note i have a little piece of styrofoam so the ipod would be easy to slide in.

zoom in pic

final pic
Old 11-16-2004 | 09:05 AM
Racer

no offense, b/c i probably couldnt even attempt to pull anything like this off, but it doesnt look too good... Its a good idea and attempt, but it just looks sorta sloppy. It might have looked more 'finished' if the red thing was still there and you just drilled a hole through that as well? just my , but good idea none the less...
Old 11-16-2004 | 09:41 AM
Racer

btw, (can we say thread jacking); I just installed my blitzsafe in my car and ran a icable through the side of the console and up through the armrest. I dont like it this way because having the plug on top makes it an awkward position to hold the ipod at. Id rather have it in that console above the red ashtray so the plug is out of my way when using the ipod (if that makes any sense...). Problem is, I dont want 7' of icable. Is there ANY cable (preferably Monster) that is sold at maybe 2' or 3'? Id prefer 2' if anyone knows. If Monster doesnt make one, im willing to take just about anything.

Also,just to make my threadjacking complete, does anyone know how much Acura sells the rubber matt that goes at the bottom of the arm rest storage bin, off the top of your heads? Im assuming it costs about $5, but being the way the world works, Acura probable has a $45 price tag on it...

Thanks and sorry
Old 11-16-2004 | 09:42 AM
Racer

Im post-happy today... What are all those wires hanging down from your glovebox?
Old 11-16-2004 | 09:52 AM
honk not beep

Originally Posted by mrcenzo
no offense, b/c i probably couldnt even attempt to pull anything like this off, but it doesnt look too good... Its a good idea and attempt, but it just looks sorta sloppy.
Urg.. ouch *stab through heart*. Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion . But for all the people who have actually installed the dension ipod mound there are some real problems in placement. When you place it in the center console, it's difficult to get to for passengers and the driver. When you use a proclip mount, you expose it to people outside who might jack it. The thing is in how that compartment in situated, you can't see any hole or even the mount because of the angle of the inner compartment.

It might have looked more 'finished' if the red thing was still there and you just drilled a hole through that as well? just my , but good idea none the less...
Yea it's impractical to drill through the red thing because i didn't like the felt of the inside. Also I hated seeing "not a compartment." But anyways my rationale of putting it there is that that red compartment really didn't do anything anyways except hold my change. Oh and the wires to the right are my speaker wires and my ps2 wires.
Old 11-16-2004 | 09:57 AM
Racer

actually, the more i look at it, the better it looks. I keep forgetting you cant see the hole. i think its just the exposed styrofoam that im noticing... Maybe you can glue a cool golf ball down there for some support . Anyway, i just posted in another thread about that icruze thing from Monster. you should go take a look at it. im going to try and sell my new blitzsafe and icable and try that out, bc as i said, im not a big fan of the way my armrest install came out.

p.s. you getting the new slim ps2?
Old 11-16-2004 | 10:51 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

actually, the more i look at it, the better it looks. I keep forgetting you cant see the hole. i think its just the exposed styrofoam that im noticing... Maybe you can glue a cool golf ball down there for some support . Anyway, i just posted in another thread about that icruze thing from Monster. you should go take a look at it. im going to try and sell my new blitzsafe and icable and try that out, bc as i said, im not a big fan of the way my armrest install came out.

p.s. you getting the new slim ps2?
Very nice idea, I think it could just use a little polishing and it'd look very professional. The syrofoam isn't too hot, but w/ couple touches it'd look great.
Old 11-16-2004 | 12:44 PM
Drifting

you could cover the styrofoam in some type of cloth like felt or something and then place it back in there
Old 11-16-2004 | 01:00 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Looks pretty good...Just needs a little finish. I would replace the styrofoam with some foam padding or something. I think you can get this at craft stores. I know someone did a mini ps2 install in this forum using stuff like that and it matches the interior.

Plus the styrofoam could potentially start flaking off over time and you would get white shit everyhwere.