Alternate Speakers to DX6

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 01:54 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternate Speakers to DX6

Just got my TL-S and searched all over for some DX6s to mod. Unfortunatley I could not find any. I had some nice JBL 603s in my integra and I remember that they were a short throw speaker and fit without cutting out the back shield.

They had the same eletronics as the stock DX6, so I applied both of the mods discussed here.

The results were fantastic. I now have full treble range from dull to bright and they are crystal clear with no distortion.

I now love my modified stock setup!
Old 05-21-2003, 09:22 AM
Intermediate

Did you just sub out the speakers or do a more complete job including the amp?

George
Old 05-21-2003, 10:29 AM
6th Gear

Just the speakers. The stock amp runs them fine. Very clean and distortion free up to full volume. Bass does distort on John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom" but was crisp with Madonna, Ricky Martin, Bowie, Thomas Dolby and some other new albums I tried. I am a very happy camper. These speaker are also discontinued though. Might want to look a the current JBL 3 way 6.5s...
Old 05-21-2003, 10:34 AM
6th Gear

Thanks to all those who did the great work documenting the DX6 Mods. I found all my parts at the local Frys. Fountain Valley may be out of stock for a week or two.. I cleaned them out on a few of the parts... Mods and testing took a few hours as I initially disabled the (3rd speaker on the 3 way) ultra tweeter. Final config was to leave it connected.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:52 PM
Racer

The Image Dynamics CTX 6 coaxes fit using the exact same methodology as the Polks. You can get them from www.mmxpress.com
Old 05-26-2003, 02:15 AM
Pro

jwillsey,
Glad to hear that the mods worked for you! As you have shown, the mods that I did to the Polk DX6s can be done on any coaxial speaker that has access to the simple crossover cap. I'm sure that there are some better sounding coaxials out there than the DX6s, but I stumbled onto them as they were being sold dirt cheap and the fact that they fit the factory hole pattern and the ease of which the mods could be performed is why I pushed them so hard.

It's not as good as a complete system upgrade, but is sure does beat the hell out of the stock Blose!

Thanks for the report and thanks to bozz for another speaker option to use instead of the DX6s.

Southbound