Alpine VehicleHub - must have if you have navigation

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heard back from Peripheral (AAMP). They claim they aren't working on anything specific for the VHub (I wonder why Alpine put them on the list then).

The Closest thing they pointed me to was the Nav-TV RGB2 device, wihch is one of those devices that many people have that allows TV to be watched on the OEM Nav screen. Basically you'd connect the video out on the VHub (assuming it has normal composite output) to the RGB2 device and it'd just display it on the OEM screen via a toggle switch, in place of watching TV or DVD or something.

I'm beginning to think that the VHub isn't as specialized a product as we though. i.e., from the marketing materials it sounds as though it's for alpine OEM Nav systems ... but it seems to just be a input box that you connec to a generic rgb converter that connects to any screen available.

-vasu
Old 05-04-2005, 09:00 AM
tsxer

i found the list- it is pac, nav-tv, aamp, dietz, and Tv on NAV. i dont think it is really implied that there will be v-hub specific adaptors- just a piece to convert video to work on the existing screen, so adding sat radio/ipod/changer/dvd will use the display with the v-hub remote for control....also, this fax says that v-hub is shipping now.......
Old 05-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Cruisin'

Im not so sure this is only to get video to the NAV screen. If you look closely at some of the text in the Spring 2005 catalog, it is referring to also using the factory stereo for the audio too.

At the top of VehicleHub page...
"...lets you easily connect a wide variety of Alpine and other components to your vehicle's original monitor/audio system..."

In Rear Seat Entertainment
"...They can make source selections independently, when using an Alpine touch screen monitor, and enjoy the sound over the factory system speakers or via headphones..."

Just a thought...
Old 05-05-2005, 03:39 PM
3rd Gear

I just talked to my Alpine dealer in RI. The V-hub will begin to ship in July 05...no definates in price though.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Racer

Well you can already get these things on ebay for $230 and up...

Problem is ... $230 for vhub, $400 for navtv adapater, $100 for ipod adapter

That's $730 to get this thing working, assuming you already have an audio aux input and an ipod ready to go.

And for taht price, you get display on the nav screen, but no steering wheel controls, no touchscreen controls, etc, you're stuck with using a remote control, which is just as bothersome to use while driving as an ipod.

Sigh.

-vasu
Old 05-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vasu
And for taht price, you get display on the nav screen, but no steering wheel controls, no touchscreen controls, etc, you're stuck with using a remote control, which is just as bothersome to use while driving as an ipod.

Sigh.

-vasu
Well that sucks. I don't know about you guys...but steering wheel controls are key. Having to fiddle with a remote is just more of a distraction...especially because you most likely will be using this more often to skip tracks, search specific songs, find different playlists.

I currently use a remote for my dvd player...but that isn't so bad b/c the main purpose it serves are Power, Play, and Stop. Another remote would probably be too much for me. But then again....that's just me
Old 05-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Racer

If it doesn't allow one to use the touchscreen controls, it's worthless, especially at that price. Plus, it doesn't come with a dock for the ipod, which is my favorite part about the IceLink. Anything above $250 for ipod integration defeats the purpose, IMO. Too bad... the VehicleHub was sounding pretty good for a while.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:17 AM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

What I've been told by the Alpine GM in Canada, is that the unit is still under developement. That this unit is supposeto have ALL versions of software for ALL vehicles to integrate to. And yes, the crappy side of it is that you have to find a 3rd party that makes a cable that will adapt to the Vehicle Hub, which can't be guranteed for all car models. I was also told that this unit does ONLY VIDEO no audio. I questioned that many times. As well I was told it does not do touchscreen integration. This unit is purely for video source input. No audio, no touchscreen, no extra options. Its general form of the unit is that its a universal unit that CAN work with all vehicles, with the right application of a 3rd party adapter. Its not what its hyped up to be. As well, I don't know how all these ebayer's are getting them, because they are still in production of them. Either they were the prototypes or something, but it will not be released til late summer.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Racer

Maybe it's still in development and production for Canada? Cause alpine usa said it was shipping and I could order one from a distributor.

-vasu
Old 05-11-2005, 03:02 PM
tsxer

NEWS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alpine Electronics Ships Solution For Oem Integration
By CS&P Saff
Posted on May 11, 2005

Email this article
Printer friendly page

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. announced it is shipping its OEM the new VPA-B211A Vehicle Hub Interface Adapter.

The Vehicle Hub enables consumers to integrate Alpine’s aftermarket video, navigation and multichannel sound, while preserving the appearance and functionality of their factory radio display.

"This is a breakthrough product for the aftermarket. We are giving consumers a way to add aftermarket products and new sources to their vehicles and alleviating any concern for sacrificing the look or functionality of their factory system," said Stephen Witt, vice president, Brand Marketing, Alpine Electronics. "The Vehicle Hub creates new opportunities to add aftermarket products into vehicles where this had previously not been possible."

The Vehicle Hub connects to the existing in-dash OEM video display via a third-party manufactured, vehicle-specific adapter available at authorized Alpine dealers. The VPA-B211A has an Ai-NET input, a dedicated navigation input and two auxiliary inputs. This allows for the addition of a wide array of Alpine products. Alpine1s Interface Adapter lets users bring their iPod into the vehicle with the ability to control the iPod1s playback. The Vehicle Hub also gives users the choice of adding either Sirius or XM Satellite Radio service into the vehicle. By adding a center-channel speaker and subwoofer, plus Alpine's digital processor and controller, the factory radio speakers can be used to create a multichannel sound system.

The Vehicle Hub lets users integrate a rear-seat entertainment system based on Alpine1s DVD player and stand-alone touch-screen monitors. By installing the monitors in the rear-seat headrests, the back-seat passengers can control the DVD player through the monitor1s touch-screen capabilities.

Alpine1s award-DVD-based navigation system is also available as an add-on component through the Vehicle Hub.

All of these products are controlled via the included remote control and incorporate Alpine1s proprietary graphical interface, which is shown on the factory radio display.

Alpine1s VPA-B211A Vehicle Hub Interface Adapter is available at authorized Alpine dealers for a suggested retail index of $300.

www.alpine-usa.com
Old 05-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you still need the Navi converter and blitzsafe to use this though.....I could be wrong.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Cruisin'

So does anyone have an update on this VehicleHub?
Old 06-10-2005, 07:15 PM
B A N N E D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

THIS IS A PEACE OF JUNK DONT WASTE YOUR TIME VIDEO MUTIPLE VIDEO INPPUTS COME WITH ALL THE NAVI-DVD MODULES OUT AND IF YOUR REALLY LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO INTERGRATE ALL OF YOUR DEVISES PERFECTLY
RUN THE FACTORY SPEAKER OUT PUTS TO A MULTIMEDIA MANAGER WITH A SMALL AMP JUST TO DRIVE STOCK SPEAKERS THEN YOU CAN PLUG IN ALL DEVICES WITH OUT LOSSING ANY FUNCTIONS ................EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH THE MONEY
Old 06-10-2005, 07:17 PM
B A N N E D

And Ofcourse You Wont Gain Touch Screen Integration...........tech Not There..............looks To Be Far Far Off
Old 06-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Cruisin'

I'm not that concerned with being able to use touch screen, but it would be nice to be able to use the steering wheel controls and for the info to display for an MP3 jukebox (such as Ipod, but not necessarily Ipod), and Sirius Sat.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Racer

you'd get text display for the ipod and sirius, but no steering wheel controls. you'd need to use a wireless remote to control it
Old 08-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Called and talked to an Alpine Dealer near me and he said he could order but doesn't have one in stock, $299. I talked to him over the phone so I didn't get as much info as I would have liked but I am gonna take a ride down and see if I can figure some stuff out. I would like to find a place that has them in stock so I can check it out and see what it really is. I had my hopes up for a while but I think I will end up going with the Neo adapter so I can keep my steering wheel controls. I am just afraid that I will mess something up with the OEM Nav that I will be installing in a couple weeks.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snowman81
Called and talked to an Alpine Dealer near me and he said he could order but doesn't have one in stock, $299. I talked to him over the phone so I didn't get as much info as I would have liked but I am gonna take a ride down and see if I can figure some stuff out. I would like to find a place that has them in stock so I can check it out and see what it really is. I had my hopes up for a while but I think I will end up going with the Neo adapter so I can keep my steering wheel controls. I am just afraid that I will mess something up with the OEM Nav that I will be installing in a couple weeks.
Any updates on this?!?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:56 AM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

How will they make it compatible with so many different stock navs...?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:55 PM
'03 CL-S 6spd Navi

Originally Posted by Stevestr
Any updates on this?!?
Does anyone have this system installed, or have seen it. Comments?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:11 AM
Racer

i think a lot of people have passed on the notion of this thing. Originally, the marketing for it made it seem that it was some box you plugged into OEM Alpine navigation systems and it gave you a new interface and ipod, sat, tv, controls etc.

What it turned out to be was stupid. Instead it's an expensive box that you need to splice into your nav screen input, which itself is another expense, and you still need an aux input adapter .. and after all that hacking/splicing/etc, you can't use touch screen controls, instead you have to use a remote with a wired IR eye that you mount somewhere.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Instructor

For vehicle hub to work you need:

Aftermarket Video-to-nav conveter
Blitzsafe adapter or FM modulator of some sort for sound.

I talked about doing this with my audio guy for a while, I wanted to do a ps2 on it with sirius and IPOD, it was getting close to 1000+ bucks so it really wasn't worth it, maybe a future project!
Old 11-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by glott
For vehicle hub to work you need:

Aftermarket Video-to-nav conveter
Blitzsafe adapter or FM modulator of some sort for sound.
$150
and
$90

Not bad..

But losing the touchscreen function while using it... :shakehead
Old 05-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Does anyone know what happened with this product ??? did they find an adaptor for our eom nav? pls let me know
Old 05-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

If it was everything it was hyped up to be you'd see Alot of people with this in there car.. Instead I don't know one member with it..
Old 05-25-2006, 07:59 AM
Advanced

Is it possible to state some alternatives for this product other than the 600$ avelctronics unit?...I ve read that there are products you can buy and then have to splice into the nav wires in the kick panel but i was trying to find an identical product that would work without splicing for the same cost as this alpine. Also in the 06 tsx theres the rca inputs in center console ...would this eliminate the need for the fm modulator or blitzsafe/sondh3???
Old 05-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by no more si
Is it possible to state some alternatives for this product other than the 600$ avelctronics unit?...I ve read that there are products you can buy and then have to splice into the nav wires in the kick panel but i was trying to find an identical product that would work without splicing for the same cost as this alpine. Also in the 06 tsx theres the rca inputs in center console ...would this eliminate the need for the fm modulator or blitzsafe/sondh3???

What are you trying to do first and foremost..?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Instructor

you still need a video to nav converter for the vehiclehub anyway