Alpine Type R 15"

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 09:59 AM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alpine Type R 15"

Any comments on users from these subs or have heard about Alpine Type R 15's Dual 2 Ohm?
Old 01-31-2005, 01:47 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by yunginTL
Any comments on users from these subs or have heard about Alpine Type R 15's Dual 2 Ohm?
I am currently running a pair of Type R 12's DVC and they thump really hard and tight and loud. They are very good sub for the $$ and very clean and tight. The place I bought my sub (the installer) had one 15 Type R in a seal box and it was really loud. I like the base so much that I felt like selling my 12's for a pair of 15's.

Did you buy them yet?
Old 01-31-2005, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant even count the number of type R subs i have replaced. it's not that they dont last, it's that they have a horrible frequency responce.
if your considering buying new subs, consider another brand there are a lot of subs that are a lot better than the type r subs.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:19 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

You know it is true their is always something better but you have to pay for what you get. But don't get me wrong I just think for the $$ spent on the Type R's are really worth every little penny and more. IF you are blowing your subs..either your box is not built correctly or you are way over powering the subs. Pretty much you can blow any subs if you over power them or turn up the volume til it distorts which will damage your subs. It could be many reason why your Type R's blew but I had mine for over 2yrs and they are still running like new.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ed99
You know it is true their is always something better but you have to pay for what you get. But don't get me wrong I just think for the $$ spent on the Type R's are really worth every little penny and more. IF you are blowing your subs..either your box is not built correctly or you are way over powering the subs. Pretty much you can blow any subs if you over power them or turn up the volume til it distorts which will damage your subs. It could be many reason why your Type R's blew but I had mine for over 2yrs and they are still running like new.

oops! let me rephrase. i myself have never owned any type R subs but i have had many people come to me with a pair asking me to build them a box to make them sound good. after showing them a responce graph and explaning why they sound like A** they usually end up selling them on ebay and hooking them up with somthing that has a little better sound quality.
i havnt personally seen any of them blow up, fortunatly in all cases it was simply a matter of people assuming the box they were installed in was the culprit for the poor sound quality.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:31 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by Bass Mechanic
oops! let me rephrase. i myself have never owned any type R subs but i have had many people come to me with a pair asking me to build them a box to make them sound good. after showing them a responce graph and explaning why they sound like A** they usually end up selling them on ebay and hooking them up with somthing that has a little better sound quality.
i havnt personally seen any of them blow up, fortunatly in all cases it was simply a matter of people assuming the box they were installed in was the culprit for the poor sound quality.

The thing I find about these Type R subs is that if you want SQ and SPL go with a sealed box. I had mine in a sealed enclosure and they pound really tight and hard. Just out of curiosity I built a ported box and they were awesome for SPL but loses the SQ. It depends what you want but overall I stuck with the sealed enclosure as I think these subs run better in a sealed box.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ed99
The thing I find about these Type R subs is that if you want SQ and SPL go with a sealed box. I had mine in a sealed enclosure and they pound really tight and hard. Just out of curiosity I built a ported box and they were awesome for SPL but loses the SQ. It depends what you want but overall I stuck with the sealed enclosure as I think these subs run better in a sealed box.

your right the responce curve is flatter with this sub as is the case with most subs in sealed boxes. the reason these subs have poor SQ is for 2 reasons.
1. they have a heavy cone a heavy cone is reccommended for sealed applications. but you need a medium to strong motor to drive it or you will get distortion. if you run too much motor you will have an overdamped speaker.
2. the motor as i said before its weak. in a ported box you need a light weight cone and a powerfull motor. the type r has neither.

also the compliance of the driver plays a large factor in the way the driver behaves in each application.
the reasons are that in sealed applications it is good to have a low free air resonance or FS because when you load the sub in a box the Fs will go up dramitically.
in a ported application you can tune the enclosure and effectivly change the FS of the speaker/box system so FS isnt as important but the light weight cone and less mass to move helps with transients.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:48 AM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i plan on runnin an MRD-m1001 amp for each sub in a sealed box...any1 have suggestions on powerin them and the box for them to go in?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:52 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

i plan on runnin an MRD-m1001 amp for each sub in a sealed box...any1 have suggestions on powerin them and the box for them to go in?
Nice that is a 1000watt mono amp correct. One of my buddy has one of those and that amp really cranks out some really good raw power. Those 15's DVC type R subs are power hungry so you will definately need to run them 2ohm mono which should put out 1000watts 500/per sub. I would go with a sealed enclosure as I think will sound better. That is an awesome combo and your system should sound really loud. Post some pics once you completed your install.