Aftermarket upgrades in my '04

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket upgrades in my '04

For those of you interested in upgrading the speakers and amp in your "04, here is what I have done so far.

I purchased a single 4-channel speaker-to-line-level converter from davidnavone.com I even called him an he was very helpful in helping me to select the one I needed for my application.

I replaced the front speakers with a set of Focal 165V2 components. I placed them in the factory locations. The tweeter was easy while the driver was more of a challenge. I thought it would be the opposite. The tweeter grills in the dash pop out easy with a very small flathead screwdriver (I thought I was going to have to take the dash apart). After you pop them out, just unclip the wire and pull out the tweeter. I had to cut some tabs that hold the factory tweeter in place to get the Focal tweeters to fit snugly. I then electrical taped the stainless steel mounting prong (comes with the Focals) to the back of the tweeter and wrapped several times along the prongs to add a little thickness (fork side up). This allows for holding the tweeter in place in the tweeter holes in the dash. They hold very snugly without screws. In addition, you can see all the way down to the floor when looking from the top. You have to use a flashlight and cut the glare with your hand because you have to look through the windshield. Just unbend a wire coat hanger and fish it up from the floor to the hole, tape the wire on the end of it and then pull it down. It was easy.

On the other hand, the midrange drivers were tough. After getting the door panel and factory driver out (not too difficult), I had to do a little cutting of the hole as it was too small for the Focal midrange drivers. This was the case even with using a 3/4" spacer. I was fortunate to already have some tin snips. Once mounting the driver, I attempted to place the door panel back on but it would not go on. This was because the speaker now sticks out too far. So, I had to cut the trim that sticks out on the back side of the door panel all the down. Even after this, it still would not go on right. So, I had to slightly reposition the speaker to line up perfectly to get the door panel on. This does not sound so bad, but installing these speakers was an all day affair. The tweeters took just over an hour, while the doors took the rest of the day. I still am a little uncomfortable as I feel that the door panels are hitting the speakers, but of course there is no real way to tell. I might attempt it again with some smaller spacers and see if they will work.

I replaced the stock sub with an 8" Kicker in the factory location. It does sound better than the factory one. However, at high volumes with low bass notes, it rattles the back dash quite a bit. I need to remove the back seats and see what I can do about dampening the rattles. Otherwise, as it is right now, I get pretty good low midbass response from it without rattles.

I am using a Soundstream Rubicon 355 5-channel amp. There is only 4 channels of input on this amp and it is rated at 25Wx4 and 75Wx1 at 4 ohms. This is actually more than enough power. I am only using the sub channel and 2 front channels now. The center and rear channels are still connected to the factory amp. I am planning on replacing the rears with a set of Focal coaxials soon and then will tie into channels 3&4 of the Soundstream amp.

In summary, to rate how much the sound improved over the factory with what I have now using 0 as the factory system and 10 as the most ideal or optimal improvement that can be obtained, I would give it a 6. The signal from the factory deck is quite clean and doesn't have that typical chararcteristic sound of other factory decks I have done similar things with in the past (like the music is coming through plywood or something). The frontstage just opened up so much more. You can hear the high end with great detail and the midranges are night and day better. I had to tweek the tweeter level settings a bit to get it right. There are 3 settings on the crossovers -0, -3, and -6 dB, which I ended up using -6. I think once I replace the rear speakers and eliminate as much rattle as possible from the rear deck, it could go up to an 8 or even a 9. So, I am pleased. I still have fader control and can optimize the sound depending on what is playing. A 10 for me would probably be to put a box in the trunk with a single 10" or 12" and replace the center-channel speaker, but that just isn't going to happen. I might do a little fiberglass work and see if I can seal the rear deck from below which should improve the low end of the 8" sub.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice speakers!!!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Seems like a nice clean system. Post some pics if/when you get some.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by AcuraX2
Seems like a nice clean system. Post some pics if/when you get some.
I would, but there is nothing really to show. The speakers are all in the factory locations. Once I build the amp rack, I will post a pick of that.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Where did you install the amp? Trunk?
Old 03-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by jayhawk
Where did you install the amp? Trunk?
Yes. I just finished the amp rack today. Well, it is 95% finished. I just need to close off the top. I mounted it vertically on the passenger side all the way to the rear of the trunk.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:24 AM
Advanced

Is there a special line level converter? Do you get a "pop" sound with the sub when you turn the car on and off?

How did the stock speakers look? Are they cheap?
Old 03-08-2004, 06:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by BLACK VELVET
Is there a special line level converter? Do you get a "pop" sound with the sub when you turn the car on and off?

How did the stock speakers look? Are they cheap?
No there is not really a special converter. There can be differences in quality between converters. No I do not get a pop sound when I turn the car on and off. Yes the stock speakers are cheap.