Aftermarket Radio, factory Navi and Carputer

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Radio, factory Navi and Carputer

Ok everyone, I need some help. I just bought a 2003 Acura CLS 6 speed with Navi. It came with a Vsokolov's Navi+ unit to allow the stock oem navi to accept the signal coming out of the car computer. XM is connected to the car computer and thats how it runs on the navi. This is a plug and play. I am new to this carputer stuff. Here is the problem, the video screen from the carputer does not cover the whole screen on the factory navi. Could that be the plug and play video converter or the carputer. Also, I want to change out my radio to an aftermarket Alpine radio that I already have. Will that be a problem with the factory navi, anything special I need to do. I am giving the carputer back to the original owner and he is going to build me a new one. Any suggestions on what to get for it, like graphic cards, memory, and is there any way to get it to work with the touch screen. Right now, I have to use a remote for the carputer and I can still use the touchscreen for navi and ac. I have a little switch to flip between the navi and carputer.

Any help would greatly be appreciate.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the carputer screen off to the right or missing about a 1/4" of the screen?

I don't see any solution to using it as a touchscreen. You don't need anything crazy on the carputer except the basics and maybe a bigger hard drive.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Racer

The carputer has some space on the left of the screen and a little bit of space on the right of the screen, the whole picture is in the screen theres just gaps all around the picture. Here is a pic of it.

Last edited by AcuraCl1; 02-21-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Racer

Also here are the specs on what he suggested for the new carputer, would you do anything different.
VIA EPIA M10000 Mini-ITX Mainboard
512 MB DDR266 (1 DIM) RAM or 1GB
60, 80 100 GB 2.5" IDE Laptop Hard drive
IDE to Mini IDE (2.5" hard drive) cable
Some type of case
USB powered slim DVD drive
Snap-On Miniature 12v DC Power Supply - 200w
ATI Wonder RF Remote & receiver
Old 02-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Intermediate

I just received my Cappuccino PC (http://www.cappuccinopc.com/cappuccino-gx1.asp) that I am going to connect to the factory Nav in my 2001 CL-S. I am unsure exactly the route I will take, but thining of putting the PC in the center console and have the switch for pc or nav like you have. I do not believe there is a way around the remote unless you use a secondary touch screen. You should check out www.mp3car.com. They have a tremendous amount of information there on carputers. Those specs seem pretty much in line with what I have seen at mp3car. Some have added wireless and GPS is pretty cheap. iGuidance or MS Streets and Trips may cover areas where the factory nav does not. Keep me updated on your progress and I will do the same.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AcuraCl1
The carputer has some space on the left of the screen and a little bit of space on the right of the screen, the whole picture is in the screen theres just gaps all around the picture. Here is a pic of it.

Yep.. Just as expected.. The unit is from Vsolokov a former vendor of the site.. His units seem to all have that problem.. Poor quality if you ask me..

I highly suggest you jump on the unit from DomofNavwithTV (Dom). He has a GROUP BUY GOING RIGHT NOW and it is $125.. Higher quality, better technical support and better customer service.. It also has a extra input for a backup camera..
Old 02-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Racer

Thanks, I will definately do that.