TL: Aftermarket HU Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014 | 12:34 PM
1st Gear

Aftermarket HU Help

Hi everyone. This is my first post to Acurazine though I have been referencing the forums for DIY help for a couple years now. I'm not completely unfamiliar with car audio, but I still have a lot of questions to get the optimal sound in my 2003 Acura TL. I have a crap 2000 watt Sound Storm amp and a beautiful old school 12" Kicker solo baric and JL W3 in my trunk. My oem HU recently burned out on me (too many burned CDs apparently) and I am ordering a Kenwood Excelon receiver. I know this question has been asked but I'm still having trouble understanding exactly what cables/adaptors I'll need integrate the stock Bose with my new HU and subs.

Do I simply need the PAC-HON adaptor? Or should I bypass the Bose amp (which often kills a lot of the power to my subs) and just run RCA cables to my subs? Thank you.
Old 06-30-2014 | 08:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kanash
Hi everyone. This is my first post to Acurazine though I have been referencing the forums for DIY help for a couple years now. I'm not completely unfamiliar with car audio, but I still have a lot of questions to get the optimal sound in my 2003 Acura TL. I have a crap 2000 watt Sound Storm amp and a beautiful old school 12" Kicker solo baric and JL W3 in my trunk. My oem HU recently burned out on me (too many burned CDs apparently) and I am ordering a Kenwood Excelon receiver. I know this question has been asked but I'm still having trouble understanding exactly what cables/adaptors I'll need integrate the stock Bose with my new HU and subs.

Do I simply need the PAC-HON adaptor? Or should I bypass the Bose amp (which often kills a lot of the power to my subs) and just run RCA cables to my subs? Thank you.

Wow, where to start. Well, welcome to the site... I am not familiar with the adapter that you mentioned, but typically those adapters are for connecting your amplifier up to a factory radio. You should use a this forum to search the installation of an aftermarket radio, bypassing your Bose amp (trust me, do that), you may want to replace your Bose speakers, as they are old too, and the power from your new radio may make quick use of whatever life they have left. You can use the power from your new radio to run the speakers, or buy a small 4 channel amp. I would also run new RCAs from your sub out (on the new radio), as your subs won't work at all if they are connected to your factory radio/sub/amp. Are you running separate boxes for your JL and Kicker? Its kinda odd to have 2 completely different subs sharing trunkspace. Good Luck!