CL: Aftermarket Headunit - Engine noise of Front Speakers Only

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 08:53 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Headunit - Engine noise of Front Speakers Only

Hi! I recently installed a Kenwood 501 stereo system into my Acura CL type-s. I bought aftermarket wire harness and dash kit as well. I am now getting what seems to be engine noise on my front speakers only. Removing the RCA for the front speakers from the back of the head unit completely eliminates the noise. Would also like to note the noise is not present when my car is on Accessory and does not increase when I turn up the volume. (I can drown it out but I'd rather not be blasting my volume 24/7) Most forum posts I have found suggest grounding all the RCA jacks to base of the headunit and/or directly to the body of the car but I have done both of these and no improvement. The fact that it is the front speakers only leads me to believe it might have something to do with the stock amp but i am not sure
Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 03-12-2017, 10:27 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
It is more than likely the stock amp. The components/capacitors are failing which is common for that unit. Since you've already replaced the HU you might as well go ahead and install an aftermarket amplifier as opposed to getting the stock amp modified with better internal components.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCL (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 03:06 AM
3rd Gear

Hey, thanks for the quick response. I am also planning on installing a sub and amp in the trunk. Would it just be a matter of running another set of RCA from the new sub in my trunk to the two front speaker RCA on my wire harness? And if so, do I need to worry about ohm values or anything between the new sub and the speakers?
Old 03-13-2017, 03:15 AM
3rd Gear

sorry "another set of RCA to the new amp" not sub
Old 03-13-2017, 08:40 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I recommend gutting everything and starting new. This would include running running new RCA's from the back of the Kenwood HU. Use the "sub out" plugs and go directly into your dedicated subwoofer amp. Subwoofer ohm/impedence values are only applicable with your amp in this scenario so just make sure your amp can handle the load your going to put on it. If you need amp and subwoofer suggestions I'm sure alot of people here will have recommendations including myself.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 PM
Cruisin'

great thread, thanks