TSX: aftermarket amp + speakers w/ factory headunit

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017 | 05:17 PM
Instructor

aftermarket amp + speakers w/ factory headunit

ok i知 totally a noob when it comes to stereo installs and how everything works. after doing quite some reading, i知 still unsure on how everything works in the 1g tsx.

my plan was to keep the factory headunit, but replace the speakers w/ alpine type r coaxial 6x9s in rear deck, and alpine type r components in front doors, and a 300x4 jl audio amp. i read that the factory amp is 8 channel or something... anyway, my question is - if i use the new 4 channel amp, will i lose the rear door speakers? also, will my sound or frequency be full range, or would i need an LOC in addition to the amp? i wasn稚 planning on getting a sub unless the bass is not better at all.

thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2017 | 09:36 AM
10th Gear

I am not sure if the 1g TSX uses the same ELS audio System as the 2G TSX, 3G TL, 2G MDX or 1G RDX. If that is the case I have been doing something similar on my 2g MDX. I replaced the 4 door speakers and added an aftermarket amp. I kept the center, sub and satellite rear speaker on the stock amp.

Note: I have only tried this on my 2G MDX ELS audio System

For this set up I tapped the stock amp output 4 door speaker output into a LOC into the aftermarket amp. I would be nice to tab the head unit output for a cleaner signal, but according to this post you will lose the ability to control volume among other things. I you want to add a sub, keep the rear speaker on the stock amp. Use two channels of the aftermarket amp for the front doors and bridge the other two channels for the sub. Just make sure that the your TSX uses the same or a similar system to mine.