TL: Advise needed in getting new in-dash dvd/navi

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advise needed in getting new in-dash dvd/navi

I own a 99 Acura TL, I'm looking to upgrade the stock unit crapy radio for an aftermarket one. I've being searching around but there are too many to choose from. I also know that I need adapter to make it work property on my car, and with the steering wheel buttons. Plus my stock subwoofer won't work with it..

Some of the features I'm looking for are:
7" touch screen
decent speed
3D navi will nice but not required
Easy navi upgrade
Voice assistance using car speakers (music fades when voice comes in)
$600 budget, maybe a little bit more

Help would be appreciated...
Old 10-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Crutchfield.com... Pick your car, and you can narrow down the list with the options on the left hand side...
Old 10-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Go to a car stereo place and find one with the features that you want. If it's an independent shop (not a Best Buy or any other chain), ask the owner/salesperson what they personally have in their car, then go listen to it in their car.
Whatever you choose from there, go home and shop ebay for the same brand and model numbers. You'll probably save $200-$300 doing that. If you can do your own install, that's another $100-$250 easy.
Now my 2 cents worth... You need to decide if you want tech features or sound quality. You won't get both on the same unit for your $600 target price. For example, an Eclipse HU has terrific sound quality but their nav is about 3-5 years behind Pioneer and Kenwood. Pioneer owns the technology for Navteq (nav software) so their units are obviously built for it but they don't have the best sound reproduction. Also, good luck upgrading the Eclipse nav software, it's expensive. Pioneer/Kenwood and some others have upgrades available through downloads. Just a few things to think about.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Advanced

I contacted Crutchfield via chat on their website. What they have to offer for my budget was the Clarion NX409 for $600 with the adapter to make it work, holder case, instructions, and instructions included. It seems good but a 6.5" screen won't look as clean with those buttons on the side, and it has a robotic voice for directions. I forgot to ask if the I could listen to music while using the navi. A lot of them that cost over $800 can't do it.

Going to an independent electronic place it's a good idea. I'm leaning towards Navi, and user interface quality. Not for sound that much. So maybe I'll look into some Pioneers.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ACRIIGHT
Go to a car stereo place and find one with the features that you want. If it's an independent shop (not a Best Buy or any other chain), ask the owner/salesperson what they personally have in their car, then go listen to it in their car.
Whatever you choose from there, go home and shop ebay for the same brand and model numbers. You'll probably save $200-$300 doing that. If you can do your own install, that's another $100-$250 easy
Now my 2 cents worth... You need to decide if you want tech features or sound quality. You won't get both on the same unit for your $600 target price. For example, an Eclipse HU has terrific sound quality but their nav is about 3-5 years behind Pioneer and Kenwood. Pioneer owns the technology for Navteq (nav software) so their units are obviously built for it but they don't have the best sound reproduction. Also, good luck upgrading the Eclipse nav software, it's expensive. Pioneer/Kenwood and some others have upgrades available through downloads. Just a few things to think about.
You do this, you're an asshole... You go into a shop, take up their time to make a good educated decision, and then walk out and leave them empty handed... That's just a dick move. If you're going into a shop to talk to them and seeking their advise and taking up time that they can spend with people that are actually going to spend money, you better damn well buy something from them... I'm sorry dude, but that's just a dick move...

As for Pioneer sound quality, I know of quite a few people running Pioneer hu's for more sq style installs. Given, most of these guys are also over 150db, but they are still running active front stages, and don't listen to the stereo that loud for daily. They turn the subs down and with units like the 800/880 PRS, the SQ is great... Not sure which Pioneers you've been listening to...
Old 10-03-2009, 12:56 AM
Drifting

Pioneer has excellent sound quality from the HU from my experience with them. I have a AVH-P4000DVD.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
kenwood makes better entry level nav unit's
Old 10-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mattastick
You do this, you're an asshole... You go into a shop, take up their time to make a good educated decision, and then walk out and leave them empty handed... That's just a dick move. If you're going into a shop to talk to them and seeking their advise and taking up time that they can spend with people that are actually going to spend money, you better damn well buy something from them... I'm sorry dude, but that's just a dick move...

As for Pioneer sound quality, I know of quite a few people running Pioneer hu's for more sq style installs. Given, most of these guys are also over 150db, but they are still running active front stages, and don't listen to the stereo that loud for daily. They turn the subs down and with units like the 800/880 PRS, the SQ is great... Not sure which Pioneers you've been listening to...
So do you buy every car that you test drive? That's my point. They are salespeople, hell I'm a salesman, but you have to understand that every person that comes through the door is not going to buy.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Drifting

So do you buy every car that you test drive? That's my point. They are salespeople, hell I'm a salesman, but you have to understand that every person that comes through the door is not going to buy.
That is true. Same goes for everything you look at, you don't buy all of it. There's nothing wrong with saving some money and buying the same product elsewhere.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Drifting

I understand that, but most people don't go test drive a car just for shits and giggles. I have a buddy that does, but he's an asshole too.

I have nothing wrong with saving money, and not supporting shops, trust me. I haven't bought anything from a shop in well over a year and a half. But I don't go in there and waste their time, especially when I know they have customers coming in that are going to spend money there. I understand that salespeople are there to help, but don't go in and blatantly waste their time...
Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Advanced

I did a lot of research online, but it is not the same to read something online than to actually test it and experience it before the purchase.

However, I had to change my decision in buying the aftermarket navi. I went to my local acura dealer to buy transmission oil, when I asked the salesperson if he had the front lip for my 99 TL. I ended up buying it for $400! They order it from Atlanta, only had two left in stock.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by spoTLess
I did a lot of research online, but it is not the same to read something online than to actually test it and experience it before the purchase.

However, I had to change my decision in buying the aftermarket navi. I went to my local acura dealer to buy transmission oil, when I asked the salesperson if he had the front lip for my 99 TL. I ended up buying it for $400! They order it from Atlanta, only had two left in stock.
Damn $400 for a front lip? Should've used that money on a nicer HU or something. Was it in your car's color at least?
Old 10-05-2009, 11:07 AM
10th Gear

I just installed a Alpine HU in my TL 01, turned out great, looks stock but wasn't easy to get it there!!! I used a double din screen and a option of a two different Nav systems. I have a Blackbird and a NVE 852A, the 852A isd currently what I am using but may change it this week, but the head unit is a IVA W200, the upgraded systems have better equipment but i was on a budget as well. But i have an awesome friend and a hell of a mechanic and looks and sounds awesome
Old 10-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by '03TL-S
Damn $400 for a front lip? Should've used that money on a nicer HU or something. Was it in your car's color at least?
nope, it wasn't even my color. I don't even remember what color I bought it in. I just needed to have it. My fiancee fliped out on me lol. But since I had the money and I didn't know any other place to get it from, then I just swiped the my card and just like that I make it mine

I can get an aftermarket navi/dvd player any time! But the 99-01 front lips are rare.

Last edited by spoTLess; 10-05-2009 at 08:35 PM.