Adding Extra Bose Speakers??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005 | 06:50 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Arrow Adding Extra Bose Speakers??

Hey everyone...

Alright, well as most of you know, the Bose speakers are self amplifyed...My 97 CL still has the OEM Bose stereo and I was thinking about adding more speakers to it. (Same OEM Bose speakers from another CL, just installed into mine)

What I dont know is if it is possible to add extra Bose speakers to the existing OEM Bose system... (im clueless when it comes to audio and electrical)

Would there be any issues to adding more Bose speakers? Am I right to think that because the speakers are sely amplified, that means its an easier install?? Do you just install and run the wires to...?....where??....
Old 08-10-2005 | 07:17 PM
El Presidente

one question.

WHY?!?!
Old 08-10-2005 | 07:57 PM

Because I can get the tweeters for cheap and I'd like to add them in the rear (under the back window) to get better sound in the rear....(theres only 6 speakers in my 97 CL...2 front tweeters, 2 mids in the doors and 2 on the rear deck by the rear window...If i can get these tweeters for cheap and add them in the rear, that would help with the sound...

So theres your anwser...now my question is...can it be done???
Old 08-10-2005 | 08:01 PM
El Presidente

more speakers does not equate to better sound
Old 08-10-2005 | 08:06 PM
VP Electricity

The Bose system was designed as a system.

THat means that there is just enough amp to drive the load present.

If you like the Bose sound... but want to add more Blows speakers, you will definitely CHANGE the Bose sound since it wasn't designed to have extra speakers, and possibly blow up the amp.
Old 08-10-2005 | 08:14 PM

ohh shiitt...so your telling me if I want more speakers, I need to change out the whole system? I just cant add another set of tweeters????
Old 08-10-2005 | 10:16 PM
VP Electricity

You CAN do whatever you want to.

If you're asking me if it will work, I say that if the Blows speakers don't sound how you want, get NEW speakers, not MORE speakers.
Old 08-10-2005 | 10:42 PM
Cosmic Cowboy

Originally Posted by elduderino
You CAN do whatever you want to.

If you're asking me if it will work, I say that if the Blows speakers don't sound how you want, get NEW speakers, not MORE speakers.

The perfect answer
Old 08-11-2005 | 04:46 PM

wow.... ok nevermind. All i was wanting to know was if it is possible to add another set of Bose speakers to the already existing bose system, without screwing anything up or ruining an amp or speakers or anything....

I didnt need you opinion on if you like BOSE or not....
Old 08-11-2005 | 08:18 PM
Pro

Spraying Lysol on Sh*t doesn't make it smell better!
Old 08-11-2005 | 08:53 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by Acura3.0CL
wow.... ok nevermind. All i was wanting to know was if it is possible to add another set of Bose speakers to the already existing bose system, without screwing anything up or ruining an amp or speakers or anything....

I didnt need you opinion on if you like BOSE or not....
You asked for free advice, and I gave it to you. A little opinion with your free advice doesn't need to make you break out in hives.

Look, aftermarket amps are usually stable to a 2 ohm load - that is, two 4 ohm speakers in parallel.

4 ohm speakers are the typical speaker impedance in car audio.

But a factory amp is not built for 2 ohms. Why? BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO HOOK UP MORE SHIT TO IT! It is made to handle the load it was designed for AND NO MORE.

Will it blow up? I don't know. BUT IT COULD.

And the answer I gave you had less to do with my feelings for Bose and more to do with a tried and true rule of audio: If you don't like the sound of a speaker set, get some speakers that you DO like the sound of, instead of MORE of what you already don't like.

But for all I know, you're hearing "Blah blah Blah BOSE blah blah blah".
Old 08-12-2005 | 03:22 PM
Drifting

It probably will not "BLOW". But you could possibly overheat the amp if you run an extra set of speakers in parallel to the factory speakers. As eldu said factory amps arn't meant to be driven at low impedances. You could run them in series, but that will take away half the power from your first set of speakers.