About to buy a TSX... questions on audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:16 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to buy a TSX... questions on audio upgrade

I am going to pick up a TSX in the near future. I've been reading this forum and found tons of good info on the stereo. It looks like I am going to keep the head unit, upgrade the speakers and install a new amp. I'd appreciate any feedback from users on the following:

1) Where is everyone installing their amps? I am going to go with a 4-channel setup w/o sub. Will a JL slash fit under the seat?

2) Component speakers - my plan is to install a nice set of components up front and coaxials in the back doors (leave the 6X9s off). Curious what components you guys have had success with up front? I like a more laid back sound, would like the tweeter to be mounted close to the midwoof, and have been looking at JL Audio and CDT so far. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

I need my truck space, which means no subwoofer, so I would like some decent midbass out of the speakers.

K

Last edited by krugorg; 02-27-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Good plan. Just get Mercman's harness to hook up the JL and you're good to go!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Advanced

For a laid back sound, I'd avoid any components that have metallic tweeters...silk tweeters tend to be a lot smoother. To my ear, the titanium and aluminum tweets sound harsh and overly bright. There was a JL set that I heard at a car audio shop that sounded fantastic (the ZR 650, I believe), smooth but very detailed and nicely balanced (there was an impressive amount of punch, too, for a fairly small cone). They also make a coaxial version that you could use for the back doors. A lot of people mistake brightness for detail, but those speakers (like MB Quarts) tend to lose something in the midrange.

As to the positioning of the amp...from what I've seen on here, most people tend to mount the amps on the back of the back seat. There really isn't a ton of space under the seats, and I would think it would have to be a pretty small amp to fit under there.

By the way, I know you said 'no sub', but CDT makes some 6x9 subs that could possibly fit on the back deck. To be honest, I've not checked the depth on them, so I'm not positive they will fit with the trunk torsion bars, but it's worth it to check them out (there is also a how-to on this site for eliminating the bars and installing struts).

Os.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:51 AM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
neothymium tweeters!

Hertz
Rainbows

Although you may need a lot more power to feed those. but Would be nice if you used the JL's 450/4 and ran the Hertz/Rainbows active!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:45 AM
Professional Newbie

If you're picking up an '09 all bets are off. However, if you're getting '04-08 there is an unbelieveable amount of helpful info around here.

I'm sure there will be plenty of help for the '09ers, but don't expect to find it as soon as you get the car.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:17 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for the posts, guys. I hadn't heard of Hertz or Rainbow yet, so I will definitely check them out. I was leaning towards soft dome tweeters after extended listening to my existing Focal setup, though, the brightness (even after the tweeter power reduction) could have been mostly because the tweeters were in the A-pillars of my TL.

Thanks for the tip on looking at woofers for the 6X9 holes. I seem to remember some posts indicating the back deck was prone to rattle?

Bummer on the lack of room under the seats. I thought the fold down seats in the back would be good for occasional "cargo" hauling, but maybe I am deluding myself thinking this is an SUV!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:19 AM
5th Gear

Oh yeah, and I was looking at a low mileage 06-07 or maybe a '08. When is the '09 going to start showing up at dealers?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Professional Newbie

Originally Posted by krugorg
Oh yeah, and I was looking at a low mileage 06-07 or maybe a '08. When is the '09 going to start showing up at dealers?
The '09 should start showing up within the next couple months I'm sure. There's a huge thread about it somewhere on the forum, I think it's in "Car Talk." It's a very different car than the current generation TSX. I, along with most it seems, much prefer the current generation.

You should also certainly check out Morel speakers. They are extremely well made and are very efficient yet can handle lots of power. They're Israeli designed and manufactured, so no made in China nonsense. I have them in my car and they sound amazing.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Osmodious
By the way, I know you said 'no sub', but CDT makes some 6x9 subs that could possibly fit on the back deck. To be honest, I've not checked the depth on them, so I'm not positive they will fit with the trunk torsion bars, but it's worth it to check them out (there is also a how-to on this site for eliminating the bars and installing struts).

Os.
supraken is running the CDT 6x9s in his rear deck. He didn't mention having a fit problem but did say that they are underpowered running off the OEM HU. Here is his thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/recommendations-experience-amp-tsx-6x9s-357083/
Old 02-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Advanced

I would definitely think that the CDT 6x9's would need additional amplification...the stock amp is only putting out something like 18 watts (there's a post somewhere in which someone measured it).

As to rear deck rattles...the primary offender seems to be the CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Light) housing. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell what will rattle in your particular car until you actually pump some bass in it...then you can do some investigation and remedy it.

Here's a link to the discussion about the next-gen TSX (which should be coming in April, after it debuts at the NY Auto Show)...
https://acurazine.com/forums/moderators-only-20/

Of course, nobody knows anything about the sound system in that car, yet (not details, anyway)...although I believe they will be switching to that same option strategy as the RDX, MDX, etc...a base model and a 'Tech Pkg' which will have the DVD Audio surround system (can't even imagine what's involved in upgrading THAT kind of a deal).

Os.