4 Gauge Cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002 | 04:28 PM
Instructor

4 Gauge Cable

Has anyone run 4 gauge cable for their amps? Which grommet did you penetrate the firewall with? The one behind the brake booster is nearly impossible to run 4 gauge through I think. Anyone have any tricks or tips?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
Old 07-16-2002 | 01:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

I ran 4 gauge down the left side through the big grommet in the firewall. It was a piece of cake actually. Start by poking through from the inside of the car with a flat screwdriver. Then use a stiff piece of wire (even a coat hanger will work) and press it through a little bit. Go to the engineside of the firewall and find your wire, and start to guide it straight up (2 people will make this go even faster) and then go back inside and push the wire the rest of the way, but be sure NOT to push it all the way through!! Now take your 4 gauge and put at least 8-12 inches along side the wire. Use GOOD quality black tape (3M super 33 is the ONLY tape I ever use) and tightly wrap the tape around both the 4 guage and the wire so that its grabbing on tight. Now here is the kicker that will make it pull back through (first be sure that you have taped up to the very end of the 4 gauge so that it wont bind when you pull it back through the grommet) use some Pure Silicone spray (not WD40 which will start to make the black tape come loose) and spray the 4 gauge cable liberally (put some towel underneath it so you dont get overspray all over the fender or the engine compartment and make a mess! - you should be using a fender cover anyway ) then go back inside the car and pull the wire through, slowly but evenly. Viola! the silicone will make the 4 gauge slip right through with the greatest of ease.
BTW, there is a real nice spot to mount a circuit breaker near the front of the left shock tower, on a bracket that you can make for about $1, and it will share a nice 10mm bolt already used to mount another sensor. No extra holes to drill and its tight, secure, out of the way, and wont get wet. This will also put the breaker within 12 inches of the battery. One of these days i will take a picture of mine because after considering all possible locations for about 45 min. when i did mine, I cant think of a sweeter spot you can mount it.

Have fun
:smokin:
Old 07-16-2002 | 05:48 PM
Instructor

What silicon spray do you recommend?
Old 07-17-2002 | 12:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

any brand of pure silicone spray will do. I dont recall what brand i have, but its in a black spray can just like WD40 and it is sold on the shelf in most auto parts stores right next to where they sell WD40. The product should say something like "Pure Silicone Spray" on it. Again, if you use WD40 it will start to make the electrical tape come loose and its no fun to pull your pull wire through and find that the 4 gauge wire got left behind on the other side of the grommet!