TL: 2002 radio anti theft code ... AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 radio anti theft code ... AGAIN

The latest twist on the radio code issue with 2002 TL 3.2 is that there is now a developing flaw that makes it impossible to unlock the radio. 1 + 6 + power does not yield a serial number. "u no" is displayed. Confirming the serial number on the bottom of the unit with the anti theft code card and with Acura confirm the correct code was entered. Acura supplied and alternate code. Acura recommended disconnecting the antenna. I tried with the antenna disconnected. Nothing worked. error1...error9.

I purchased the service manual for the Pioneer radio and identified the anti-theft functionality is programmed into a Rohm BR9010 eeprom. According to the Rohm datasheet, the BR9010 eeprom has a data retention life of 10 years. Apparently, my eeprom lost its programming.

I took the car to the dealer. They wanted $65 to "diagnose" the problem. I asked them what type of diagnosis they would do and expressed the concern that they didn't have an electronics test bench, so would just confirm the radio didn't activate and then tell me I needed to buy a new radio at some undisclosed price. I said that this was excessive.

I called Acura HQ and spoke with a customer service rep who opened up a ticket. She said I must bring the radio in for diagnosis before she could address the issue. (An aftermarket radio starts at not much more than $65, so considering the problem, this is an expensive request.)

I told her that I had diagnosed the issue better than the dealer would and that I simply wanted my concern and datasheets reviewed by an engineer. She said "no" you must take it to a dealer for diagnosis.

At this point, it's a $65 extortion charge to get the process moving so I can listen to my radio again with no certainty of a positive outcome.

After a few days of calling in HQ with more information, I finally called the dealer again and asked them to diagnose the radio issue. I mentioned that I had the radio out and wanted to know if I could just bring the radio in for diagnosis. The service representative laughed and said "we don't repair radios. We just assess that they are broken and tell you how much a replacement will cost." They said, "sure, we'll take your money. Put the radio back and and will certify that it doesn't work for you for $65."

I have contemplated just paying United Radio or somebody $249 for a refurbished unit or a "flat rate" repair. However, the service representative confirmed that if it's the eeprom, then all the radios were built at about the same time so would all potentially have the problem.

The Customer Representative and Acura HQ said that she would not accept my diagnosis that the radio didn't accept a code after going through all their recommended steps. She said that she would not offer a complimentary diagnosis thereby waiving the $65 fee for telling her the antitheft code was not working, as she would not refund the money if the diagnosis was exactly as I stated.

I explained that this is extortion of $65 to access Acura's "process." I explained that had Acura made everybody aware that the radio would cease to be acceptable after 9 years thereby rendering a multi-thousand dollar stereo system inoperative, I would have reconsidered buying the car in the first place.

They were very unmovable. I explained that after owning Hondas for 20+ years and that I would be in the market for a new vehicle very shortly that the position she was taking was alienating me and that I would not consider buying an Acura. She assured me that I was "entitled to my opinion." And that Acura well understood that you can't make everybody happy.

So be it. To have Acura take the position on what is clearly a design flaw demonstrates that they are simply an automobile manufacturer and nothing special at all.

Because of the flaw in the use of an eeprom to provide "security" there is no assurance that any factory type replacement radio will not exhibit the problem in the near future. The security is futile as with the VIN and the serial number, you can get a code from Honda directly. So, it's just like a lock on the screen door. It's only meant to inconvenience the owners and won't stop a real thief.

The conclusion is that to begin the process of getting Honda to review the problem, then are demanding $65 for "diagnoses" which everybody admits is just a matter of saying, "yup, it won't take a code." When, I really just want to turn my ^%&^% radio on after the battery cable loosened up, and nothing more. This is a stupid shakedown by a greedy company.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:49 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me after I swapped out my battery. I called my local Honda and Acura dealerships and they were also charging me $65 to have it looked at. I then went to a mechanic that took a look at it. He got the serial number from my stereo and made a few phone calls. Within minutes, he had the code and unlocked my stereo, for $30. Still, it was pretty annoying. I kept my code just in case this happens again, which I'm sure it will.