1st Gen Sub and Speaker Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gen Sub and Speaker Inquiry

Ok I need your expertise.

I own a 1st GEN TL. I want to add a 10 inch sub and possibly upgrade the speakers using the exisiting stock head unit.

Question:

1) Where can I tap the remote wire from the amp to act as an on/off switch-to the fuse box? or to the back of the head unit? ( I basically want my sub to run off when i turn off my radio)

2) Does anyone have the size of the speakers in our 1st Gen TLs. I have a few 6.5 speakers and i was wondering if i can use them to upgrade my speakers.

Thanks for the help in advanced!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tommytl
ok i need your expertise.

I own a 1st gen tl. I want to add a 10 inch sub and possibly upgrade the speakers using the exisiting stock head unit.

i recommend an audiocontrol lc6i if you are ok with analog processing (line driver/signal processor to help bring the source signal up to a higher voltage allowing the amp to do less work, resulting in less distortion)

best bang for buck is < 500 watts rms (true rms i.e. Jl slash, pg ti.2 etc) on 12" for both db and output. Be aware a proper sealed unit will outperform an improperly tuned ported enclosure every day so don't go full honda-tard on it.

question:

1) where can i tap the remote wire from the amp to act as an on/off switch-to the fuse box? Or to the back of the head unit? ( i basically want my sub to run off when i turn off my radio)

lc6i handles all of this (utilizes the speaker inputs as a remote signal as well). Also, you will need something to bring the signal to rca output otherwise you need a speaker level input amp (a new fad among cheaper units, i believe sony has a 6 channel that does processing and can be bridged at the rear two....for 400 id try it against jl's 5k system pricetag (which is worth it if you give a shit)

2) does anyone have the size of the speakers in our 1st gen tls. I have a few 6.5 speakers and i was wondering if i can use them to upgrade my speakers.

speakers are 50 bucks on sale for a decent set, just buy what fits.

thanks for the help in advanced!
ty