06 TSX Dom's Navi Box Completed with Hard Drive Player - Finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:35 AM
who dat lil kid?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 06 TSX Dom's Navi Box Completed with Hard Drive Player - Finally!!

Hey guys. I got my replacement from Dom yesterday and I had some spare time today. First off, I would like to thank Dom for his fast customer service! Replaced a bad unit right away! Dom, the new unit works great. Connected my existing wires and plug and play. Thanks again Dom!

Anyway, I don't have time to go through the whole install, but I ran extra wires from the OEM Navi to the driver side seat. I bought a 6ft serial extension cable and ran a power/ground wire to the front also. It made it a lot easier to connect my audio and video cables. All the wires are hidden under the all season mats. Doms unit is underneath my driver seat. Since I had a 06, I used the AUX input in the armrest, which to my surprised, sounded great! You wouldn't even know it was running off a line instead of directly off the factory cd player! The Hard Drive player plays Divx, xvid, avi's, dvd's ripped to the hard drive, mp3's and wav's. Its great. 100gb of storage at a touch of a button! Again, sorry for the sloppy write up, if there are any questions, just reply or PM. Also, I would like to thank Jonesi and Dom for their help. Thanks!!

Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats..!! Looks sweet..

More info on the hard drive please..
Brand? Model? How's it hooked up? Do you have a keyboard to access? How do you control it?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Congrats..!! Looks sweet..

More info on the hard drive please..
Brand? Model? How's it hooked up? Do you have a keyboard to access? How do you control it?
he has a thread in which I asked all that
Old 03-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by huckleberry
he has a thread in which I asked all that
Nice... Thanks for the link..
Old 03-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by buste2
Anyway, I don't have time to go through the whole install,
Looks like you didn't have time for a proper, clean install either.
i mean don't trip on them wires lol
but works for you, congrats!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Banned

Nice... Thanks for the link..
<-- lazy
Old 03-29-2006, 02:30 PM
who dat lil kid?

lol...all the wires are under the panels. I just took pictures for reference. Jonesi, the brand is:

Vantec Avox Jukebox

its controlled my remote, just like a normal aftermarket cd player. its hooked up by reguler audio video cables. White, red, and yelow RCA's. Yellow to Dom's box, red and white to the AUX in the armrest. DC power by car charger, I have to find a way to power it by hardwire, but since its only 5v its kinda hard. any suggestion on that anyone? its a 100 bucks for the unit, but you have to buy or supply your own laptop hard drive.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

Looks good buste... a few questions...

Is that Dom's unit's switch in that picture of your AT? Is that mounted somewhere?

The remote looks a little clunky for that unit? Do you have problems finding buttons while driving?

The review I read on it says that it doesn't support playlists or random play, but it was pretty old. Is that still the case?

How is the UI speed...starting up...navigation of the songs/movies, etc?
Old 03-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Pro

There are over 20 different brands that make these types of drives. Lacie makes one but is kind-a $. There are tons of 'made in china' brands for less than 100$ (without the hd) just run a google search.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:07 PM
who dat lil kid?

Originally Posted by smite
Looks good buste... a few questions...

Is that Dom's unit's switch in that picture of your AT? Is that mounted somewhere?

The remote looks a little clunky for that unit? Do you have problems finding buttons while driving?

The review I read on it says that it doesn't support playlists or random play, but it was pretty old. Is that still the case?

How is the UI speed...starting up...navigation of the songs/movies, etc?
That is Dom's unit's switch. If you look at the pictures, the wires are there for reference for everyone on the board. Everything is hidden under the mats and panels. The switch is mounted underneath the steering wheel. Its very clean, I guess I can take pictures of that too.

The UI speed is very fast. But I guess that would depend on the hard drive you get. I have a toshiba 100gb 5400rpm in there so its pretty quick. You can create a playlist if you want to. I just have everything organized. All the files are separated in individual folders. Music, DVD's, and Video's. For example, in Music, I have albums in their old folder, and etc. But also, there is a tab for playlist and you just click and drag whatever you want and save the playlist. For random play, you can just hit play all.

The 'remote' you're looking at is the actual unit
If you have any aftermarket cd player, like pioneer, kenwood, and jvc and etc, the remote is the same size. I'll take pictures of it when I get home, I'm at work at the moment.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Since the unit is hidden anyways are their any units that accept the standard desktop hard drive?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by buste2
The 'remote' you're looking at is the actual unit
If you have any aftermarket cd player, like pioneer, kenwood, and jvc and etc, the remote is the same size. I'll take pictures of it when I get home, I'm at work at the moment.
So ya I guess I'm a bit confused here. Looking at the pictures in the gallery of Vantec's site there appears to be the unit itself (black box) as seen in the TSX cubby in your picture. There is also a picture of a seperate grey remote with a whole lot of buttons. So I don't see what you mean when you say the remote is the actual unit?

More pictures is always better.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:14 PM
who dat lil kid?

Since the unit is hidden anyways are their any units that accept the standard desktop hard drive?

Jonesi, there is one that uses a standard desktop hard drive. Its by Galaxy. I'm not sure what the model it is, but you can find it on supermediastore.com and search galaxy. Its not really better, its really huge, and you can't hide that sucker!

Smite, I'll take better pictures later maybe. I'm off work at 7pm central so it'll probably be late. Also, I didn't know you was refering to the manufacturer's website, the remote isn't that big...but if it is, its a trade off for how small the actual player is and no worries of any skipping since its hard drive base instead of DVD's or CD's...