06 back up cam teaser

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:18 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 back up cam teaser

soo. with all the excitement with an 06 navigation system freshly installed, i went ahead and got a harness made by etonek for the navi unit that will hook up a backup cam when the car is placed into reverse... this only works for 2006+ since there is a new port... anyhow i found my friend who had a friend that works at frys.. and rushed over to see what cams they had.... im currently broke lol so i bought a 32$ which after discount came to be like 22$ ... my car is asm so i decided to use a lil touch up paint.. check out what i have so far.. i'll finish up in the morning so you can see what it looks like...

bought this one!

stock color.. [assembled] ((yes im working on a pizza box))

take it apart! [just unscrew everything]

painted rim of lens

paint the box

another angle (dont paint the middle... lol)

reassemble

screwed into the plastic piece under the trunk lid.. [where the button to open is]

another view

i had to use different screws than what came with the kit because i do not want to drill into the actual trunk.. only the plastic liner... i first tried to break off the included screws.. but since i have no dremel. the piece i broke off was still to long... [just search for new screws..]

luckily right now i just got back in before the rain... i'll get you guys some pix tomorrow morning!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 big concern: is that a backup camera or a security camera? you are going to want a backup specific camera, which flips the image horizontally so it corresponds with how you turn your car. Otherwise you might dizzy yourself / be disoriented as you turn reverse right into a spot and everything slides off to the left instead of right.

Also, you might not want to angle the camera toward center so much. Most of these style camera offer up to a 120degree view, which is more than enough to compensate for an off-center mounting point. Once again, it just goes to being disorienting while watching the resulting image on the navi screen vs. pointing it straight back. If its angled that much it will seem more like you're turning when you're just going straight.

*edit*: also, if its an indoor cam, it might not do too well in the rain. Sorry to be such a party pooper!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:07 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Angry

Originally Posted by Reach
1 big concern: is that a backup camera or a security camera? you are going to want a backup specific camera, which flips the image horizontally so it corresponds with how you turn your car. Otherwise you might dizzy yourself / be disoriented as you turn reverse right into a spot and everything slides off to the left instead of right.

Also, you might not want to angle the camera toward center so much. Most of these style camera offer up to a 120degree view, which is more than enough to compensate for an off-center mounting point. Once again, it just goes to being disorienting while watching the resulting image on the navi screen vs. pointing it straight back. If its angled that much it will seem more like you're turning when you're just going straight.

*edit*: also, if its an indoor cam, it might not do too well in the rain. Sorry to be such a party pooper!
reach...
you suck. LOL
well yes i noticed the flipped image.. i'm going to flip the cam right now. lol.
as far as rain goes.. we will see . LOL it just rained after i had it installed last night.. lmao.... and for the 120 degree view.. they have interchangeable lenses available.. lol
Old 06-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice, I still need to do this..got dom's unit but need to buy a cam.

Note: find the macro button on your camera for the closeups
Old 06-28-2007, 12:53 PM
2006 ASM tsx

ok wow. failure. lol this sucks!

haha. ok so i flipped it. now the cars are rightside up... only problem is that the car thats on my right is now on my left... LOL
ok lessson learned..
buy a back up camera. lmao.
least i only lost 24$ not 34$... hmm if i can take the paint off i can just return it... =(
Old 06-28-2007, 12:54 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Originally Posted by rza49311
Nice, I still need to do this..got dom's unit but need to buy a cam.

Note: find the macro button on your camera for the closeups
i used macro.. but i guess my camera is pretty old =/
Old 06-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vthree
...problem is that the car thats on my right is now on my left...
That's what I was talking about. Save your pennies and get one of the really good ones in the $130 - $200 range. Its well worth it for size, image quality, reliability, etc.

In the meantime, you just bought yourself a $24 webcam.