[WORKING!] Hacking the GA-NET (IEBus) to get touchscreen coordinates

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 06:24 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. Thats code you don't see every day!

I hope we get to talk sometime soon, maybe you can help me better understand whats going on in it.

I am still curious as to what parts of the packets are not being sent over RS232 because the size of the sample data doesn't match up properly. (See post above)

By the way, here is the original C source that I recieved from Dave last year. Maybe it can help you. Just keep in mind, its running over data that was sampled at a much higher rate than the IEBus actually runs at.

IEBus.c

Last edited by angrycamel; 06-21-2007 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Intermediate

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a little while, but I thought I ought to get talking with all of you.

I've been working on learning more about the IEBus myself and have built my own board to aid in the sniffing activities. I have yet to get the firmware working quite right, but hopefully I can get something figured out soon.

I also have 10 of the uPD72042B chips I got as samples from NEC via some of my hookups at work. Once I know more about how the bus is currently used, I hope to get my board talking on it too.

If I get the board working, I'd be willing to build & sell a few to others interested in grabbing data. I don't have Navigation in my TSX, so I wouldn't be able to gather any of that data myself.

I also have some projects in mind to use this interface, but I won't go into those just yet.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:27 AM
-Mike

this thread is killing me!! I can't wait
Old 06-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by calcbert
I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a little while, but I thought I ought to get talking with all of you.

I've been working on learning more about the IEBus myself and have built my own board to aid in the sniffing activities.
You rock. Glad to hear that so many people are finally getting into this! Now I just need to buy an Acura again so I can participate more than just software.

So... since you have been learning about the IEBus, you must know by this point that the IEBus chips require a unique address. That is one thing that I never fully figured a way around (other than not using the IEBUs chips and doing everything via a sniffing board).

Take interfacing to the touchscreen from a stick navigation system for instance...
The stock navigation controller sends the XY to the navigation computer via the IEBus. The packets are addressed with a master->slave like in all IEBus communications. So if you want to intercept the packets that are coming from the stock touchscreen (0x183 on the 04 TL) going to the stock navigation computer in the trunk (0x131 on the 04 TL) then you would have to not only set the address of your IEBus chip to 0x131 (in order to masquerade as the navi computer) but you would also have to stop the packets from going to the navi computer (which is still running and unaware that there is an impersonator on the bus trying to recieve its packets). If you did not stop the touch event packets from passing on by your module once you have had your way with them, then the stock navi computer would still recieve them and the clicks would still happen on the software that happens to be running.

So how would you tackle that? Would you set your IEBus module to stand in the middle and prevent ALL packets intended for the navi computer from getting to it when your module is enabled, simply to trap your touchscreen events? If so, what about all of the other devices that talk to the navi computer regularly and would not be able to reach it because you would have the man in the middle grabbing all the packets?

I hope this makes sense... its some of the things that have been on my mind that will need to be answered before a working module (that uses the IEBus chip) is possible.

Now with all of that said, if you want to trigger on events from the IEBus without having constant interaction like you would need with touchscreen integration, you could just have a comparator like spider set up that simply sniffs the bus, decodes the packets, and sends them up RS232 to a PC in the car to be understood by software eventually triggering an action on that PC.

Just some food for thought, let me know what you think.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:05 AM
Intermediate

Some more results from using a CleverScope today...

My TSX head unit definitely appears to be address 0x100, the XM receiver 0x119. After each message of some kind of command, the other device will reply with a "0x80 0xC2" acknowledge. I have also decoded the "Big Tracks" channel name and "Police" artist name within packets (as plain ASCII) thus far.

If you can manage to acquire a CleverScope, I'd highly recommend it. The storage memory is DEEP, such that I can store 4.5 seconds of 2 10-bit sampled channels with samples every ~2us. I'm borrowing this one from work for now, but get more and more tempted to buy one.

Do one of you have a working hardware & software platform to decode the packets and print them on a serial port? That's what my board is supposed to do, but my software needs some optimization to keep up with the pace of the bus.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Cruisin'

Yes, it is quite unfortunate that the IEBus chips available do not have a "promiscuous" mode to them. It makes it quite hard (if not impossible) to have them being a one stop sniffing and generating solution. Realistically, we would need to develop our own chip/solution similar to the comparator that just listens to everything. We could, however, use the chips to SEND messages on the bus as we could program the Address on the chip before sending the messages.

I recently purchased the Car2PC module. Supposedly they have an open API and you can hook it up to the IEBus and receive all the packets that you want. Again, the problem being that you need a solution that will listen to ALL packets and not just the ones that it addressed to it.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Intermediate

Does the Navi touchscreen / computer use the same bus as the head unit, XM, tape player option, and MP3-CD player option, and Honda Music Link option?
Old 06-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Cruisin'

I don't know for a fact, but I'm pretty sure it does.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:23 AM
Instructor

Does the Navi touchscreen / computer use the same bus as the head unit, XM, tape player option, and MP3-CD player option, and Honda Music Link option?
I am looking at the ETM for the 06 TSX (the car I used to have) and it shows that the entire audio system routes through the IEBus. That includes the entire audio headunit which connects the Steering Wheel Controls (Volume/Channel/Mode), Cassette Player, CD Player, MP3 Player, and XM Reciever.

My TSX head unit definitely appears to be address 0x100, the XM receiver 0x119. After each message of some kind of command, the other device will reply with a "0x80 0xC2" acknowledge. I have also decoded the "Big Tracks" channel name and "Police" artist name within packets (as plain ASCII) thus far.
Can you post your full data stream? I can probably help you decode the rest of it, or at least it will be onother set of data that I can test my class with. Actually the more data you can give me sniffed from the line, the better I can do at decoding it. Since you have the expensive scope, grab as much as you can (at the stock frequency) then just label each sniffed data stream with what you actually did to produce it. Like click AC on or change stereo mode or turn up volume.

Originally Posted by TokyoJoe
I recently purchased the Car2PC module. Supposedly they have an open API and you can hook it up to the IEBus and receive all the packets that you want.
Keep us updated as to what that thing can do. It sounds interesting if it can simply sit there and decode a stream of IEBus packets for us.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Advanced

Could this help? This is an IPOD/IE-Bus sniffer for the toyota's version of IE-Bus...which will probably similar to our Acuras.

http://www.softservice.com.pl/corolla/avc/ipod.php
Old 06-28-2007, 02:06 AM
Instructor

Lightbulb Great find!

Thats a great find! Thanks. They seem to be doing exactly the same thing that we are in regards to sniffing the IEBus (AVC-LAN), only they are a bit further along.

If anyone has the resources, I would suggest putting together the PCB from that site and sniffing in an Acura with it. It would be nice to finally have a database of a bunch of events and all of the unit addresses.

Man, I wish I had my car still, this is killing me!

By the way... if anyone would like a custom harness to connect into the IEBus without splicing wires, email me and I can make it for you.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Instructor

I have looked around quite a bit on that site and even talked to Marcin in emails. He has suggested a very simple schematic for a starting point. Below is the schematic and a picture of it in action from _Alex_.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:07 AM
Instructor

Post Another great IEBus project page!

This was posted in the forums over at softwareservice.com.pl:

http://www.sigmaobjects.com/toyota/

The guy who wrote the code, Louis Frigon, did an excelent job writing AvcLanDriver.c! It is very well documented and well organized throughout.

This firmware combined with the basic hardware concept posted above, is a complete top to bottom implementation of an IEBus universal controller card basically. With a little bit of customization and an API for the PC, you could easily have a system up and running that could do anything you want on your car's IEBus from the click of a button on your PC... or as in the original purpose of this thread, I could grab touchscreen coordinates and use them to control the mouse click location on a CarPC.

This is a great bit of code, so thanks to Louis for posting it online for the rest of the world to learn from.

For those whoe don't want to bother reading through all of the code just to get an idea of its capabilities check this out from the top of the source file:

PHP Code:
      /*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name         :  AVCLanDriver.c

Description  :  AVC Lan driver for Toyota devices.

Author       :  Louis Frigon

Copyright    :  (c) 2007 SigmaObjects

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                AVC LAN Theory

The AVC bus is an implementation of the IEBus which is a differential line, floating on logical
           level '1' and driving on logical '0'. Floating level shall be below 20 mV whereas driving level 
           shall be above 120 mV.

The diagram below represents how things work from a logical perspective on the bus.

A rising edge indicates a new bit. The duration of the high state tells whether it is a start 
           bit (~165 us), a bit '0' (~30 us) or a bit '1' (~20 us). A normal bit length is close to 40 us.

|<---- Bit '0' ---->|<---- Bit '1' ---->|
           Physical '1'      ,---------------,   ,---------,         ,---------
                             ^               |   ^         |         ^
           Physical '0' -----'               '---'         '---------'--------- Idle low
                             |---- 32 us ----| 7 |- 20 us -|- 19 us -|

A bit '1' is typically 20 us high followed by 19 us low.

A bit '0' is typically 32 us high followed by 7 us low. A bit '0' is dominant i.e. it takes
           precedence over a '1' by extending the pulse. This is why lower addresses win on arbitration.

A start bit is typically 165 us high followed by 30 us low.

AVC LAN Frame Format
           Bits Description

1   Start bit
            1   MSG_NORMAL
            12  Master address
            1   Parity
            12  Slave address
            1   Parity
            1   * Acknowledge * (read below)
            4   Control
            1   Parity
            8   Payload length (n)
            1   Parity
                8   Data
                1   Parity
            repeat 'n' times

In point-to-point communication, sender issues an ack bit with value '1' (20 us). Receiver 
           upon acking will extend the bit until it looks like a '0' (32 us) on the bus. In broadcast
           mode, receiver disregards the bit.

An acknowledge bit of value '0' means OK, '1' means no ack.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
      #include <avr/io.h>
      #include <avr/interrupt.h>
      #include <avr/wdt.h> 
      #include <stdio.h>

#include "GlobalDef.h"
      #include "USART.h"
      #include "AVCLanDriver.h"

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                            Local Functions
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

static void         SendStartBit void );
      static 
void         Send12BitWord word data );
      static 
void         Send8BitWord byte data );
      static 
void         Send4BitWord byte data );
      static 
void         Send1BitWord bool data );
      static 
bool         SendMessage void );

static 
word         ReadBits byte nbBits );
      static 
bool         ReadAcknowledge void );

static 
bool         HandleAcknowledge void );
      static 
bool         IsAvcBusFree void );

static 
AvcActionID  GetActionID void );
      static 
void         LoadDataInGlogalRegisters AvcOutMessage msg ); 

Last edited by angrycamel; 06-30-2007 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Smile

I finally broke down... I am buying an '04 TSX with Navigation Monday or Tuesday of next week!

I have already started ordering the parts I need to put together my first sniffer. Once I get it working I plan to produce a database of commands from the bus to go along with the controlling software written in C#.NET. I am writting that software in a way that will allow you to plugin different databases of commands for a particular car type.

We'll see how it all goes...
Old 07-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Instructor

Talking An 04 TSX with Navi

We picked up the new TSX a couple days ago and I will be ordering the parts I need tonight!

I'm excited to be able to work on this project again.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Cruisin'

Congrats on getting the TSX and back in the game!

Man, at this rate you'll have it all figured out before I even have my carputer in. I've got the power and remote turn on and grounding all done for the computer, but I still have to rip up the dash and put in the computer. Unfortunately I'm going to be out of town for the next two weekends so progress will be slow.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Instructor

A quick update on my progress...

I have been working, over the past couple of weeks, to put together my carpc. I wanted to have this working before I built the IEBus serial sniffer so that I could just use it to save the serial data rather than a laptop (since I don't own a laptop).

It is put together now and I am just working on getting the power back to the trunk from the battery. Has anyone else run power from their battery to the trunk in a 2004 TSX? I am unsure as to where I go through the firewall. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Thanks,
AC
Old 08-05-2007, 12:08 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by angrycamel
I have been working, over the past couple of weeks, to put together my carpc. I wanted to have this working before I built the IEBus serial sniffer so that I could just use it to save the serial data rather than a laptop (since I don't own a laptop).

It is put together now and I am just working on getting the power back to the trunk from the battery. Has anyone else run power from their battery to the trunk in a 2004 TSX? I am unsure as to where I go through the firewall. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Thanks,
AC
yo man ya.. on the other site.. you know where..
theres a diy for an amp install..
you can go thru the large grommet on the passengers side.. push a the wire thru and it'll wind up right in the middle of ur dash

then from there go all the way down the side under the trim!
Old 08-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Question

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply vthree!

I found the thread you are refering to and it looks like a great tutorial however there is one thing that I have noticed from a lot of the pictures I am seeing of other peoples power cables...

Does it have to be one of those really fat bright blue or bright red wires? I went up to RadioShack and bought myself one of each of these to run power to my trunk. Please let me know if I am about to get myself into trouble by using these products rather than some expensive and colorful cabling.

This is 10 gauge hookup wire: (product page)

This is the fuse holder of which I plan to install inline... not sure where though (product page)

This is the fuse I have installed into the fuse holder (Product Page)

Thanks in advance for any feedback on my wiring plans.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:48 PM
-Mike

soo...is this moving forward....?

i dont really understand the hightech knowledge?
Old 08-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by yungwunn911
soo...is this moving forward....?

i dont really understand the hightech knowledge?
Yes, the project is moving forward. I am currently installing my carpc, and once that is installed the next step is to start development of the IEBus serial sniffer posted further up on this page.

Once I have that working, I will resume development of the .net application that will run on the carpc and let me control things that use the IEBus. Such as: switching to the carpc from the stock system using stock buttons in the cars console, having the touch events on the stock screen control the mouse clicks on my carpc, and enable an aux input so that I don't have to buy an after market audio input module.

Keep in mind that most of what I listed above, I believe to be technically possible, however it remains to be tested so who knows if it will all work. I hope so!!
Old 08-05-2007, 01:17 PM
-Mike

GREATTT. I love it.

I have an old PC that i would love to transform into a carPC so ill be in line for this product if you do decide to market it!

goodluck, keep us posted.

-mike
Old 08-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by angrycamel
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply vthree!

I found the thread you are refering to and it looks like a great tutorial however there is one thing that I have noticed from a lot of the pictures I am seeing of other peoples power cables...

Does it have to be one of those really fat bright blue or bright red wires? I went up to RadioShack and bought myself one of each of these to run power to my trunk. Please let me know if I am about to get myself into trouble by using these products rather than some expensive and colorful cabling.

This is 10 gauge hookup wire: (product page)

This is the fuse holder of which I plan to install inline... not sure where though (product page)

This is the fuse I have installed into the fuse holder (Product Page)

Thanks in advance for any feedback on my wiring plans.

10 gauge should be plenty good. What are you using for your carputer/power supply? Don't forget you'll also need a ground and possibly a remote turn on wire. FYI, when you install the inline fuse you should put it as close to the battery terminal as possible.

Where are you planning on tapping into the IEBus?

Last edited by TokyoJoe; 08-05-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up Thanks for the input, 10 gauge should work fine!

I am using an M2-ATX 160 Watt PSU.

The Jetway motherboard pulls very little power... I don't remember the details but when I calculated the total power usage of the PC it was around 70-80 Watts including the components such as optical and hdd.

Using this chart that I found, and the following formula, I am feeling a bit better about using the 10 guage wire. I guess these are the things that I should consider when deciding on the thickness of the wire, right?

If I used the full output of the M2-ATX (160 watts) then it would be (AMPS = Watts / Voltage) 13.3 amps = 160 watts / 12 volts.

I would estimate the distance of the run from the battery to the trunk after tucking everything away would be somewhere around 15 feet.

So that leaves me at the bottom row in the 13-16ft. area... thats a yellow square so I should be fine with the 10 guage. I was just about to go out and buy some of that really thick and bright colored glittery wire too, go figure!

Last edited by angrycamel; 08-05-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Instructor

Post Missed your IEBus tap question

Where are you planning on tapping into the IEBus?
I have a PNP harness I built that plugs in at the back of the Navi unit in the trunk. Exactly like the PNP harness for Dom's video converter, only it is for hte IEBus lines rather than the RGBS lines. It has two wires that pull from that to the module to provide the +/- of the IEBus.

Like this...

I am tapping in at the trunk because that is where the carpc will be. I will most likely have my IEBus sniffer mounted inside of the Netvista case that my motherboard and PSU are mounted in. I just need to figure out how to make custom mounting posts for it in the case. (anyone have any links they could recomend for doing that)

PS - My wife just got back with the car, so as soon as the engine bay cools a little I will begin my wiring through the firewall. Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited by angrycamel; 08-05-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Talking Finished wiring power to the trunk...

Thanks to everyone who helped out today. I got the wiring all finished up a few hours ago and I even took pictures to help the next guy that comes along and is as clueless as me. You can find a full write up (18 pictures) at my site, here. I followed the tutorial posted over at that other Acura site that vthree mentioned.

Here is an example of one of the pictures from the write-up.

I will be working to get the carpc finalized this week and will attempt to put together some sort of mounting bracket for the ceiling of the trunk (like the navi computer). If anyone has done this already and has some pictures/advice, please post.

Thanks,
AC

Last edited by angrycamel; 08-05-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Cruisin'

I checked out your picts from the install. Pretty good work. 2 things though that I noticed:

1) It looked like you used a Spade connector for your battery cable. That should work fine, but I personally would have used a ring terminal That way you know that sucker isn't going to pop off. Theoretically with a spade connector the nut could get loose and your cable would pop off. The chances of that happening though are probably pretty slim.

2) I saw that you had pictures posted of your power cable run, how about your ground cable and remote turn on?
Old 08-06-2007, 11:05 AM
2nd Gear

Does anyone have a pinout diagram for the pnp adapter?

I'm wondering what all the different inputs to the nav system are. If anyone can point me in the right direction that'd be great.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Instructor

1) It looked like you used a Spade connector for your battery cable. That should work fine, but I personally would have used a ring terminal That way you know that sucker isn't going to pop off. Theoretically with a spade connector the nut could get loose and your cable would pop off. The chances of that happening though are probably pretty slim.

2) I saw that you had pictures posted of your power cable run, how about your ground cable and remote turn on?
1) Good suggestion. I added it to the write-up. I will let mine stay as is for now since I just finished it, but I may go back in the future and change it.

2) I ground to the roof of the trunk and the M2-ATX will turn the computer on automatically.

Originally Posted by xdvd
Does anyone have a pinout diagram for the pnp adapter?
I can take a picture of the manual when I get home. I know I did at one point in the past, but I couldn't find the file. I will be back home in a couple of hours, so I will do it then.

Last edited by angrycamel; 08-07-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Post Acura Connectors

I put together some illustrated documentation of the five navigation unit connectors. The documents are in PDF format and include the pinout information as its found in the 2006 Acura TSX ETM.

I will post links to these in the HowTo section of my site as well so more people than just xdvd can get some use out of them.

• Connector A (20-Pin Navigation)

• Connector B (14-Pin Navigation)

• Connector C (8-Pin Navigation)

• Connector E (2-Pin Navigation)

• Connector F (5-Pin Navigation)

(If you do not see all of them, be patient, I am still working on a few and they will apear here when I upload them to the server)
Old 08-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Instructor

Cool CarPC is built and tested

I finished building the carpc this evening and it will work great for testing the IEBus sniffer. Its pretty bare bones for now (just windowsxp on an 3.5 hdd). I fully intend to revisit my carpc setup to make it all I ever wanted it to be sometime after this project has something solid. But first, I just wanted something to use for testing the IEBus sniffer in the car. All I need is a serial port, so it will do just fine for now! I plan to get a wireless mouse and keyboard to make development a little easier and the video will pump out to the navi screen.

Now that the PC is built and the power is run from the battery to the trunk, all I need to do now, is build some custom mounting brackets to mount it to the roof of the trunk (like the navi computer). That is what I will try to work on tomorrow afternoon.

I have included some pictures below of what it looks like. Thanks to TokyoJoe for pointing me in the right direction to build custom mounts for the PSU.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to say that I am eagerly watching your process, you made quick work of that carputer! Looking forward to your results and further learnings.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reach
Just wanted to say that I am eagerly watching your process, you made quick work of that carputer! Looking forward to your results and further learnings.
Thanks for the kind words

Judging by the number of views for the thread it seems like a lot of folks are watching. I hope we are able to make something of this!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Advanced

Some more than watching!

I've been watching this one for a looooong while! Actually, I've scoured up and down the 'net looking for how to use the touchscreen with a carputer. That guy with the TL did a heck of a job, but there's just no way I can take apart the nav screen to do what he did (no time, no patience, few skills!).

My dream is to use a Mac Mini and get one of those little brackets that 20 different companies make to hang the thing next to the nav unit in the trunk. I was going to just go with a Griffin PowerMate (or that new controller I can't remember the name of) to do a kind of poor-man's iDrive, but realized it'd be a huge compromise...hence the desire for the touchscreen interface.

Why a Mac Mini rather than one of the multitude of itx or other mini PC's out there? No religious thing or anything like that...it's just a great little all-in-one bundle, you don't have to screw around with weird powersupply issues (someone makes a DC adapter directly for it) and I use iTunes for music anyway (on both my PC's and Macs), so why not? Buy a new CD, start up the car, pop the disc in to automatically rip, pull the disc out...easily updated library! Besides, in my experience Macs are much better at suspend/resume than PC's...

Now if I could only find a bluetooth trackball, I'd go ahead and build it now with the plan of installing touchscreen capability when it's all set (I will pay good money for that, by the way. Not TOO good, mind you, because I'm poor, but reasonably good!). Though trying to control a tiny pointer/cursor while driving is not my idea of a good time...

Here's another question for somebody out there...has anyone found a video interface that does NOT require you to use either composite or s-video on the computer? (i.e. a VGA input) I can't seem to find a clear answer on that here or at mp3car.com...most people seem to go with a Dom's or something similar.

Another question...has anyone thought of REPLACING the existing monitor with a higher-res touchscreen version? I can only imagine the technical hurdles involved, but I'm sure it can be done...might not be worth it, but is a 50,000 watt car stereo worth it, either?

Last edited by Osmodious; 08-13-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Cruisin'

Keep in mind that the "PC" power supplies do more than just DC. Probably the biggest reason to use something like the M2-ATX is that it has all of the logic to prevent a deep drain of your battery. If you just hook up a plain ol' DC power supply to your Mac and have it hooked to constant power (i.e. your battery) then you might be coming out to a dead car, especially if you let it set for a couple of days.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:53 AM
10th Gear

If you just hook up a plain ol' DC power supply to your Mac and have it hooked to constant power (i.e. your battery) then you might be coming out to a dead car, especially if you let it set for a couple of days.
Osmodious is going to need either a CarNetix P1900 or P2140 + MacPac power cable kit to power the Mac mini. The M2-ATX won't work since it has a standard ATX power plug. The Mac mini has a proprietary power connector that only CarNetix can provide.

Also, FYI, here is a great link to other Mac mini car computers...
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/maccar/
Old 08-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Yup...the P1900. I was just too lazy to look it up yesterday!
:-)

I had thought about picking up an older iBook, maybe one with a broken screen, but ultimately I just like the form factor of the Mini better. I can get one of those under-desk mounts and attach to the back deck, or put it IN the car somewhere (and run a video line back to the nav unit, I guess...unless there is a way to splice in right at the screen). Whatever, there are a few different options!
Old 08-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Instructor

Talking Ok, back on topic guys...

I have completed the schematic of the sniffer and have ordered all of the parts I will need to breadboard it. For anyone interested in following along, I have attached the schematic below as well as the parts list that I ordered from digikey and sparkfun.

There isn't much to the circuit, but it includes the audio in and out plug for enabling aux input for those cars (mine) that do not have it already, as well as an RS232 port for getting the IEBus packets over to the PC. I borrowed from a couple of different places to put this schematic together. One was Marcin's and the other was from Louis. Louis has been a great help over the past couple of days answering questions via email. I will be providing feedback to him and updates to the base firmware that he enhanced from Marcin's original code.

I can't wait for the UPS guy!
Old 08-15-2007, 06:54 AM
10th Gear

Great info! Keep up the good work.

A couple of questions:
1) You show "Power" coming in on JP2, however, you go through a 2.2kohm (R8)resistor to Vcc. Is this "Power" input providing Vcc for the sniffer board, or is there some other Vcc node that you have not shown? If the former, will R8 not provide too much voltage drop to maintain a solid Vcc (+5v)?
2) On the max232 you show Vcc connected to V+ on the chip through a *series* 1uf cap (C8). Did you not really mean to have the cap in parallel with Vcc for bypass?

Sorry if I've missed something basic here...
Old 08-15-2007, 07:15 AM
-Mike

i'm not too sure whats going on, but im assuming that you made the board that will all you too hook up a computer and use OEM touchscreen monitor to use it.....

right?

If so, and you are succedssfull, are you going to be making some runs for people to buy off you?

-mike

Quick Reply: [WORKING!] Hacking the GA-NET (IEBus) to get touchscreen coordinates