Installing 2-way remote starter. DIY or outsource?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Installing 2-way remote starter. DIY or outsource?

Hey guys,

I bough a remote starter. In the weather i live in, it's a must. Summers are hot, winters are freezing and a remote starter is very useful.

I bought a Nordic NS2000. This includes a bypass module. It comes with a geek squad installation but their service centers are located 1h away and their hours are everything but accommodating.

I wanted to install the system myself, but I wanted to know if anybody here attempted the project themselves. I found a few threads dating from way back.

Here is the kit, with install diagram.

Do you advise i be patient and let bestbuy install the system, or does it look more complicated than it actually is?
Old 10-19-2015, 10:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Depending on your level of experience working with a digital multi-meter, soldering iron, and working on your car, then do it. I used a Clifford remote start combo and XpressKits DBALL2 module, just because I know in the future I'd be able to get replacement Clifford remote controls easily, not sure how difficult it will be for you to get replacement remote controls for that Nordic system. It took me about 3 hours to complete the install and test the system before buttoning up the dash.

But since the installation was included with you purchase, then go ahead and let Geek Squad install it.
The following users liked this post:
polish_pat (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chief wiggum
Depending on your level of experience working with a digital multi-meter, soldering iron, and working on your car, then do it. I used a Clifford remote start combo and XpressKits DBALL2 module, just because I know in the future I'd be able to get replacement Clifford remote controls easily, not sure how difficult it will be for you to get replacement remote controls for that Nordic system. It took me about 3 hours to complete the install and test the system before buttoning up the dash.

But since the installation was included with you purchase, then go ahead and let Geek Squad install it.
Thanks for your feedback. I was actually denied installation by geeksquad. In canada, we had both Bestbuy and Futureshop, which was the same but in red and not yellow, both used geeksquad. Some futureshop and bestbuy store were literelly 10 feet away from each other, they closed down all futureshop stores recently and only kept the bestbuy stores. The problem is, bestbuy dont sell remote starters, they also dont have many car install shops left as most of them closed with futureshop. When i bought this, i was told it would be installed at no extra cost. When I called to book the appointment, they said the bundle was only valid at futureshop locations. I obviously complained telling them as long as they sold this product, they should honor what written on the box. The tech told me to call headoffice. I'm waiting for a call back, but if i win my point, the install shop is a 1h drive, which is a hassle. I'm not afraid to install this myself, i have all diagrams and I use a voltmeter every day at work. My only problem is this comes with a 2 years warranty which is only valid if the geeksquad certificate of install is signed. My original plan was to install this myself, as i've heard horror stories with bestbuy install quality.

I chose this kit because it was not too expensive, it was reliable, programmable by connecting your laptop to a comm port, it was sophisticated enough to allow all functions my stock remote has, plus a bunch more, and allowed for expansion modules such as viper smartstart, drone mobile and a bunch of others. Its 2 way, came with bypass module included, had a battery anti-drain system and the remote is supposed to last a few years on a single charge.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:07 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Not a fan of letting people work on my car but the remote stater was installed previous to me buying the car from the owner. Installation is fine, they could have done a better job at hiding the remote starter module. Otherwise, installation included, I'd say let them go at it.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:04 PM
Intermediate

It sounds like it might be difficult for you to get Geek Squad to honor your installation agreement. Since you have all the equipment and wiring diagrams, I don't see why not tackle this task on your own.

What year is your TL?
Old 10-19-2015, 01:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chief wiggum
It sounds like it might be difficult for you to get Geek Squad to honor your installation agreement. Since you have all the equipment and wiring diagrams, I don't see why not tackle this task on your own.

What year is your TL?
05 with navi, but as I said, the ONLY reason why I'm still waiting for that call is because of the warranty. If not, I'll let out consumer protections laws, which are some of the most aggressive in the world, take care of their breached agreement.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:35 PM
Intermediate

Here's a wiring diagram for your car.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2005 Acura TL.pdf (1.16 MB, 300 views)
Old 10-19-2015, 03:00 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,008 Likes on 14,512 Posts
sub'd
Old 10-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by polish_pat
Some futureshop and bestbuy store were literelly 10 feet away from each other, they closed down all futureshop stores recently and only kept the bestbuy stores..
only half of the future shops closed down, the other half converted to best buy

if you're comfortable with wiring I'd give it a shot.
Know what wires to splice into, splice into them, connect the module, bada boom bada bing.

Much better than working with exterior mod DIYs and deal with chunks of rust and rounded bolts/nuts.
The following users liked this post:
polobunny (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Much better than working with exterior mod DIYs and deal with chunks of rust and rounded bolts/nuts.
I didn't even know they were bolts, I just thought they were big rivets.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
only half of the future shops closed down, the other half converted to best buy

if you're comfortable with wiring I'd give it a shot.
Know what wires to splice into, splice into them, connect the module, bada boom bada bing.

Don't know what province you're in, but in Qc, futureshop and bestbuy were like a street corner and a stop sign...everywhere there was a Futureshop, there was a bestbuy walking distance away

Like this:

and this

and 2 more only in a 10 km area...which was ridiculous if you ask me
Old 10-19-2015, 05:09 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by polobunny
I didn't even know they were bolts, I just thought they were big rivets.

Originally Posted by polish_pat
Don't know what province you're in, but in Qc, futureshop and bestbuy were like a street corner and a stop sign...everywhere there was a Futureshop, there was a bestbuy walking distance away
It was kinda funny, I always wondered why they were next door, too.
It was nice taking advantage of the store "exclusive" sales and walking over to the next store if the other was sold out.

Out of the handful of Future Shops in my city, I can only think of one that is side by side, but yes, many of them were side by side closed down, whereas the ones that didn't have them side by side converted to best buy. (Canada-wide, 66 closed down, 65 converted)
Old 10-19-2015, 05:39 PM
Racer

It's absolutely the worst possible business decision ever. I meant how did that meeting go? "Ok team, does anybody have an idea on how we can improve sales?" "Euhh, what if we opened the exact same store right next to our existing, but change the color theme and call it something else?" Boom, sales volume doubled. I hope those VPs were all fired.