Forum Suggestion: Subforum for DIY's

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:13 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subforum for DIY's

have a subforum devoted only to DIY's...
Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I like the idea, and it is already implemented in some of the model forums like CL (first gen) and RDX and is appropriately called "DIY & FAQ". I like the idea of every model, every generation having a DIY sub-forum so that people can immediately begin contributing DIY articles for any model, ranging from basic tasks to more advanced tasks.

The current implementation of the DIY also includes FAQ. IMO, adding the FAQ to this sub-forum makes it a little harder to find what you're looking for. Personally I would have had a DIY only sub-forum and left out the FAQ portion. Simply because you have people asking basic to technical questions in multiple areas now. It would also make it easier to find the DIY articles. And there is no reason someone couldn't still ask a technical question about a DIY article in the top-level area of a model forum or in the DIY thread itself. I understand that some of the questions pertain to something becoming a DIY article, i.e. there was a question in the first gen cl DIY forum asking how to remove the dash. That is a good example of an FAQ of a DIY. But people may interpret FAQ to mean an FAQ about the model in general, not that it's an FAQ pertaining to DIY (hope that made sense).

What do you think ?

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 09-16-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Team Owner

Just thought of one thing. Regarding the Wiki idea in another thread. A Wiki for DIY is a very good thing.

When DIY's are made, if there's one thing that's common between all DIYs it's that a step is forgotten, a picture is needed to further describe what needs to be done in a step, the instructions for a step aren't easily understandable and need to be updated, the DIY needs to be modified for different trims of the same car, etc.

All of these minor changes make it hard for a DIY to exist in a thread format, but putting them in a Wiki makes it much more friendly. Again the same problem arises as what I mentioned in the WIki thread, Search. We want people to use the search feature, but if we create a wiki, hopefully searching on the forums will produce results for the wiki and forums.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I like this idea as well for the 3G TL section. We currently have a sticky with a link to our DIY section which is easy to search by section for a DIY. Perhaps those DIY's can be moved to a DIY section within the model forum? It may create less work for a moderator as well. Not having to put the DIY in the sticky. Of course we will have to keep the DIY section clean by deleting duplicate DIY's, etc.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 633 Likes on 281 Posts
I think we need to hear from csmeance on this one, as I know he's been working VERY hard to create a garage type thread for each of our model subforums recently.

I'll see if we can't get him to reply in here

cheers,
robb
Old 12-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
I agree. I think that would also be a great idea!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Team Owner

I've sent a PM to csmeance about the thread to get his input.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
I've sent a PM to csmeance about the thread to get his input.
Thanks for the heads up!

A DIY section would be great! Much less work would be required since I have to sort through 10-20 pages a month at a minimum to find DIY's and it's a bit time consuming.

I'm all for the idea of having one, maybe it might turn more people into DIY'ers and post some more DIY's up as well!

I do have a few concerns though:
1. Searching, in all honesty the search function doesn't help out much sometimes and I have to think of other creative means to find something.
2. Duplicates
3. Quality of the DIY's

1+2 might be solved if I go in and have a "master" thread kind of like the 3G garage and update that every-so-often so people can just to Ctrl+F or Command +F and find something. #3 might be resolved by having some sort of rule system though on DIY's like having pictures or something of the nature.

All-in-all, I think it's a great idea and might help clean up a bit of the clutter in the 3G garage that I've slowly been working on.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I hate to bring this thread back from the grave, but did this ever get implemented and I'm missing it?
I've been in the Honda scene for years and had several different Honda model cars, each seemed to come with a different related forum. A lot of the them have had DIY sections. They have been very helpful for getting to know the new and unique modifications that pertain to that specific model (such as frankensteining parts from other cars).

I see the linked thread that was mentioned afore hand, and it's very helpful, but a dedicated section would also be nice.

Just my .02 cents
Thanks,
Nick