Sacramento Meet #5 - Saturday August 18

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 07:10 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well bring your balls and maybe we will hit the lanes...

Originally posted by H4mm3rm4n:
<STRONG>Bwahahaha! I used to be a PBA member, in fact. And maybe I will show up in a bowling shirt, you schizznuttzes. :p

Hey, J1m, howz the bass (thumpa-thumpa!) sound now?

I filled out the form and sent my check for the full complement of Zaino stuff. Hope to get my car fully Zaino'd before Meet 5.0. </STRONG>
Old 08-03-2001, 07:12 PM
Racer

WAY WAY WAY more BASS then I need. So I have to turn it down. Shakes the $h1t out of my CL. But sometimes it's cool to turn it up!

<STRONG>Bwahahaha! I used to be a PBA member, in fact. And maybe I will show up in a bowling shirt, you schizznuttzes. :p

Hey, J1m, howz the bass (thumpa-thumpa!) sound now?

I filled out the form and sent my check for the full complement of Zaino stuff. Hope to get my car fully Zaino'd before Meet 5.0. </STRONG>
Old 08-04-2001, 01:10 PM
Racer

Well see you guys there.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:34 AM
Racer

WOW we sure ate up the day chatting about our rides. It was fun tho. See you guys in 2 weeks. I will send pics to Mike soon. L8R
Old 08-05-2001, 12:39 AM
My other car is a 350Z

Yeah it was cool to see everyone. Glad Gary made it so we could check out the look of his car with the Comptech drop on stock wheels & rubber.

Now I must have springs!!! Maybe Koni's too...hehe...

[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: H4mm3rm4n ]
Old 08-05-2001, 04:09 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to see everyone today, welcome Gary, it was nice meeting you. Yes Mike it is time for springs, i agree. Maybe you'll surprise us by meet #5. See you all then, and let's drive !! I like the idea of the gold country, who's gonna pick the road and lunch stop ?
Old 08-05-2001, 05:01 AM
Racer

Hey you guys.(Mike, Glen & Justin) You need this. Look here: http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=8&t=000390
Old 08-05-2001, 05:11 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by q2killer:
<STRONG>Hey you guys.(Mike, Glen & Justin) You need this. Look here: http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=8&t=000390</STRONG>
Thanks for the tip Jim, i'll probably have to take a pass right now. My funds for mods are tied up now with the AEM and my 15k service. Maybe Mike will get that tax check and he can scoop those springs up.
I'll try to get back to you asap next week on the camera accessories. In the meantime i'll get the model you wanted ordered, and hopefully have it in time for meet #5.
Old 08-05-2001, 01:04 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Edub-TL:
<STRONG>Whoa.. do you sell camera equipment??

I am actually in the market.. but I am having trouble deciding between Digital or SLR..

What do you guys think?

Cannon Powershot G1 or Nikon N80 with a 28-80 F2.8 lense??

Right now, looking for good prices on either.. kinda leaning towards the digital right now.. but it's another $60 for a 64MB memory card..

Any advice would be great. Thanks. </STRONG>

The Nikon, definitely. I have the N90s and I love mine. I also have the Coolpix 990. Nikon simply makes better cameras and better glass.

Anyhoo.. see you bums on the 18th.

L8t
Old 08-05-2001, 02:47 PM
My other car is a 350Z

<STRONG>Hey you guys.(Mike, Glen & Justin) You need this. Look here: http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=8&t=000390</STRONG>
Thanks for the heads up, J1m...I posted a reply in that thread. I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 08-05-2001, 04:11 PM
Advanced

I guess I snooze I lose.. "Sprungs"

It was good seeing everyone. And agian welcome Gary..

Who knows? Springs? Exahust?
Old 08-05-2001, 04:27 PM
Racer

Yes Welcome Gary. It was nice to see your ride next to Mike's for a comparison. It basically shows that everyone needs to lower their car and get it out of 4X4 mode. See you guys on the 18th.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:08 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Jacobian:
<STRONG>

The Nikon, definitely. I have the N90s and I love mine. I also have the Coolpix 990. Nikon simply makes better cameras and better glass.

Anyhoo.. see you bums on the 18th.

L8t </STRONG>
Jacobian, glad to hear you'll be at the next meet. See you on the 18th.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:15 AM
Subie Dubie

<STRONG>

Thanks for the heads up, J1m...I posted a reply in that thread. I'll keep an eye on it.</STRONG>
I saw your post, did he reply ? Too bad he already got rid of the Koni yellows, that would have been a good package deal. See ya.
Old 08-06-2001, 01:06 AM
My other car is a 350Z

No word on the springs yet. Still in a holding pattern.

On the subject of springs...it looked to me like Gary's car with the Comptech springs is lower than what I have seen on other cars. Check out these before/after pictures of a car with stock rims/tires and Comptech springs:

Before

After

What do you guys think?

Old 08-06-2001, 01:14 AM
My other car is a 350Z

Here's some wheels I am thinking of for the future. Let me know which ones you guys like/dislike and why.

SSR Competition

SSR Integral

SSR GT1

5zigen 5ZR-S

Old 08-06-2001, 01:29 AM
Subie Dubie

<STRONG>No word on the springs yet. Still in a holding pattern.

On the subject of springs...it looked to me like Gary's car with the Comptech springs is lower than what I have seen on other cars. Check out these before/after pictures of a car with stock rims/tires and Comptech springs:

Before

After

What do you guys think?

[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: H4mm3rm4n ]</STRONG>
Yeah, the gold looks nice after the drop, just right. It appears that Gary got a bit more of a drop, or is it just an optical illusion. Maybe we should have measured the gap versus ours.
Old 08-06-2001, 01:32 AM
My other car is a 350Z

Glenn, do you have any idea how much height adjustability you can get with Koni Yellows? That may be the ticket we need to get the perfect looking drop.
Old 08-06-2001, 01:38 AM
Subie Dubie

<STRONG>Here's some wheels I am thinking of for the future. Let me know which ones you guys like/dislike and why.

SSR Competition

SSR Integral

SSR GT1

5zigen 5ZR-S

[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: H4mm3rm4n ]</STRONG>
Mike, i like all of them. The GT1 might be the best, Tire Rack carries them all and you can go online and see how they look, but i still wish i could see them on the car first.
Even with that said, i might still go with the 5zigen. Decisions, decisions !!
Old 08-06-2001, 02:09 AM
Racer

There was a shadow on Gary's car in the wheel well. Which made it look lower to me when I saw it but I did not look further.
Old 08-06-2001, 02:20 AM
Subie Dubie

Hey guys, i was just on comptechusa.com, and i noticed they had a forum with some extra info on our cars. Go to their site and click on wwwboard, then click on "on to the forum".
There's a section for most Acura and Honda models including the CL-S. Updates on the supercharger, dyno info etc. Just thought i'd share that with you.
Old 08-06-2001, 02:58 AM
Subie Dubie

<STRONG>Glenn, do you have any idea how much height adjustability you can get with Koni Yellows? That may be the ticket we need to get the perfect looking drop.</STRONG>
Mike, i just checked the Koni site, and the Tire rack site with specific link to Koni yellows and neither one mentioned height adjustment. I do believe from everything i've read that these are the ones i'm going with. They appear to be THE best.
Old 08-06-2001, 04:20 AM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Originally posted by Red Rider:
<STRONG>
but i still wish i could see them on the car first.
Even with that said, i might still go with the 5zigen!!</STRONG>
You're lucky I'm bored tonight..

SSR Gt1

5zigen 5zr-s

Mike,
My vote goes for the SSR GT1.. they seem to look like they are lighter.. If you have the $$$, get the GT3!!
The 5zigen 5zr-s do good too..
The other SSR wheels don't look that good while parked, but they do look okay when moving..

You're talking 18's right??

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: Edub-TL ]
Old 08-06-2001, 05:16 AM
My other car is a 350Z

Damn, nice Photoshop work Eric!

If I went with the GT1's, I'd almost surely go with 18" wheels, probably at 225-40. The length of the spokes on the GT1 seem to visually stretch the diamater of wheel and demand an 18" size.

The 5zigens look sweet also, but I still like's the GT1's the best. And the GT3's like nice, but not that nice for those $$$!!! How about getting bored again, Eric, and Photoshopping the SSR Comps and Integrals for me? And can you make the car silver?
Old 08-06-2001, 01:53 PM
Racer

Nice PS job there Edub. Now you know you shouldn't have done that. Cause everyone is gunna put in requests now!!!
Old 08-06-2001, 03:57 PM
GRF
Advanced

Fisrt of all it was a pleasure meeting you guys, Mike, Red Rider, q2killer, Norcal-S. Thanks for the warm welcome. It was great seeing all your great mods. Sometines my car looks lower than other times. I think it depends on the ground. There could be a slight bump right where your wheels sit on therefore it pushes the wheel up. Although I do think my car sits lower than the gold one with the stock wheels and tires. My car didn't have that large of a gap before I lowered it. After hearing the sound system mods with q2killer and Norcal-s I'm leaning in doing something. I don't need two subs though, just want to enhance the bass just a little. I think one will be good enough with an amp. Love those cat back exhaust though, was that an easy install? Is it just bolting it on to the existing flange?
Old 08-06-2001, 04:48 PM
Racer

Yes the Comptech Exhaust just bolts on and it is an axle-back exhaust. Does not take much time at all. But they are pricey. Took about 15-20 mins for my install.

Originally posted by GRF:
<STRONG>Fisrt of all it was a pleasure meeting you guys, Mike, Red Rider, q2killer, Norcal-S. Thanks for the warm welcome. It was great seeing all your great mods. Sometines my car looks lower than other times. I think it depends on the ground. There could be a slight bump right where your wheels sit on therefore it pushes the wheel up. Although I do think my car sits lower than the gold one with the stock wheels and tires. My car didn't have that large of a gap before I lowered it. After hearing the sound system mods with q2killer and Norcal-s I'm leaning in doing something. I don't need two subs though, just want to enhance the bass just a little. I think one will be good enough with an amp. Love those cat back exhaust though, was that an easy install? Is it just bolting it on to the existing flange?</STRONG>
Old 08-06-2001, 08:52 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

<STRONG>How about getting bored again, Eric, and Photoshopping the SSR Comps and Integrals for me? And can you make the car silver? </STRONG>
Mike,
Email me a silver CL pic with at a similar angle as the one above is.. front or back, doesn't matter, but one that shows both wheels at a slight angle.. I'll do it when I get home tonight..
Old 08-07-2001, 02:45 AM
Subie Dubie

<STRONG>

You're lucky I'm bored tonight..

SSR Gt1

5zigen 5zr-s

Mike,
My vote goes for the SSR GT1.. they seem to look like they are lighter.. If you have the $$$, get the GT3!!
The 5zigen 5zr-s do good too..
The other SSR wheels don't look that good while parked, but they do look okay when moving..

You're talking 18's right??

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: Edub-TL ]</STRONG>
Thanks Edub ! My car looks pretty good with both !
Old 08-08-2001, 10:05 PM
My other car is a 350Z

For us suspension-challenged dudes (you know who you are!)

I got a quote of $416 (labor only) to install Comptech springs and Koni shocks fron Niello. They also quoted 8 hours. That seemed very high to me. Their price for the Comptech springs was $395. This sound like the list prices they quoted me. I didn't ask about discounts.

Comptech springs from www.autocarparts.com are $295 which includes shipping. The Koni yellows are $292 for a front pair and $292 for a rear pair for a total of $584.

I called Motorsport Dynamics and was given a quote of $150 :-) to install the springs and shocks, and $75 for an alignment for a total labor cost of $225. This is well under Niello's list price of $416 which didn't include the alignment. They are supposed to call me back regarding pricing and availability for buying the shocks and sways through them.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:15 PM
Racer

I had my springs installed @ Neillo and it cost me $700. Which is about $300 for the install.

Motorsport charges by the hour, PERIOD! Their quote of what... $150 is under 3 hours for install. Not really possible. And I would not want them to rush on it either. So labor would be alot more just to start out. You must not have talked to Ed. Last I talked to them they have never done an Acura CL so I wouldn't want them to "experiment" on my car.

Neillo when they did mine. They included the alignment and warranty with the alignment too. And ask about discounts. You should get a very minimum of 10% off which is about $30-40.

Or you can buy the parts and then take them to Neillo to have them installed???

Just my $.02.

<STRONG>For us suspension-challenged dudes (you know who you are!)

I got a quote of $416 (labor only) to install Comptech springs and Koni shocks fron Niello. They also quoted 8 hours. That seemed very high to me. Their price for the Comptech springs was $395. This sound like the list prices they quoted me. I didn't ask about discounts.

Comptech springs from www.autocarparts.com are $295 which includes shipping. The Koni yellows are $292 for a front pair and $292 for a rear pair for a total of $584.

I called Motorsport Dynamics and was given a quote of $150 :-) to install the springs and shocks, and $75 for an alignment for a total labor cost of $225. This is well under Niello's list price of $416 which didn't include the alignment. They are supposed to call me back regarding pricing and availability for buying the shocks and sways through them.</STRONG>
Old 08-09-2001, 01:38 AM
My other car is a 350Z

<STRONG>I had my springs installed @ Neillo and it cost me $700. Which is about $300 for the install.

Motorsport charges by the hour, PERIOD! Their quote of what... $150 is under 3 hours for install. Not really possible. And I would not want them to rush on it either. So labor would be alot more just to start out. You must not have talked to Ed. Last I talked to them they have never done an Acura CL so I wouldn't want them to "experiment" on my car.

Neillo when they did mine. They included the alignment and warranty with the alignment too. And ask about discounts. You should get a very minimum of 10% off which is about $30-40.

Or you can buy the parts and then take them to Neillo to have them installed???

Just my $.02.

</STRONG>
Jim, thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't post here if I didn't want everyone to chime in with their $02.

You're right, I didn't speak to Ed, but the guy I spoke with sounded like he knew what he was talking about. After reading your response I'm not quite sure what to make of the discrepancy in the price quotes I got. I'd like to get the work done at Niello for warranty reasons, but their price just seemed way too high. On the other hand, Motorsport Dynamics price seemed to be a bit low. But then I saw another post somewhere in the forum by the Acura_Service dude who said the standard labor hours for springs was 3.2 hours, so Motorsports was low, but not that low. I have no experience with their work, but Glenn speaks highly of them, so I'd be interested in his feedback as well. I'll call back Motorsport and ask to talk to Ed, and see what kind of response I get.

I'm gonna post on the Car Talk forum and ask what people think is a reasonable $$$ and time to install springs and shocks. At this point I think I'm gonna order the stuff from www.autocarparts.com, because no one can seem to bit their prices. While I'm waiting for the stuff to arrive I'll figure out where to get the installation done.

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: H4mm3rm4n ]
Old 08-09-2001, 01:39 AM
My other car is a 350Z

<STRONG>

Mike,
Email me a silver CL pic with at a similar angle as the one above is.. front or back, doesn't matter, but one that shows both wheels at a slight angle.. I'll do it when I get home tonight.. </STRONG>
Eric, thanks for the offer...unfortunately I don't have a good picture of my car at an angle like Red Rider's. I'm trying to obtain a nice quality digital camera so I can get some mo betta pix of my car.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:23 AM
Subie Dubie

<STRONG>

Jim, thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't post here if I didn't want everyone to chime in with their $02.

You're right, I didn't speak to Ed, but the guy I spoke with sounded like he knew what he was talking about. After reading your response I'm not quite sure what to make of the discrepancy in the price quotes I got. I'd like to get the work done at Niello for warranty reasons, but their price just seemed way too high. On the other hand, Motorsport Dynamics price seemed to be a bit low. But then I saw another post somewhere in the forum by the Acura_Service dude who said the standard labor hours for springs was 3.2 hours, so Motorsports was low, but not that low. I have no experience with their work, but Glenn speaks highly of them, so I'd be interested in his feedback as well. I'll call back Motorsport and ask to talk to Ed, and see what kind of response I get.

I'm gonna post on the Car Talk forum and ask what people think is a reasonable $$$ and time to install springs and shocks. At this point I think I'm gonna order the stuff from www.autocarparts.com, because no one can seem to bit their prices. While I'm waiting for the stuff to arrive I'll figure out where to get the installation done.

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: H4mm3rm4n ]</STRONG>
Mike, after reading the posts i think it might be best to purchase from autocarparts and have Niello do the install. Ed also told me that they have not done a CL-S, and maybe Jim is right about having them experiment on yours. They do great work, but it may be smart to stay with your dealer. Maybe you can negotiate the labor down some.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:28 AM
Subie Dubie

<STRONG>

Eric, thanks for the offer...unfortunately I don't have a good picture of my car at an angle like Red Rider's. I'm trying to obtain a nice quality digital camera so I can get some mo betta pix of my car.</STRONG>
Mike, i can get you a hell of a deal on Sony digital cams. I've got one on order for Jim.
Let me know, i'd love to help you out. I will get it at cost, and no tax !!
Old 08-09-2001, 03:52 AM
Racer

That is 3.2 Hours just for the springs. What about the Koni's?? Those will be more in labor...

<STRONG>

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: H4mm3rm4n ]</STRONG>
Old 08-09-2001, 04:22 AM
My other car is a 350Z

Originally posted by Red Rider:
<STRONG>

Mike, i can get you a hell of a deal on Sony digital cams. I've got one on order for Jim.
Let me know, i'd love to help you out. I will get it at cost, and no tax !!</STRONG>
You know, I could never resist an offer like that!!! I'll email you at work with what I'm looking for. My only criteria is that it has to take pictures of silver CLs that look as good as red ones...
Old 08-09-2001, 02:09 PM
Racer

Hey Mike, you can check out mine which I ordered through Glen if he has it before Meet 5.0. I am getting the Sony DSC-P50. It is a 2Megapixel Camera, but you will need some accessories for it after you buy it. They also make some others too that are very nice but get pricey very quick. Check out sony.com and their CyberShot Cameras.

<STRONG>

You know, I could never resist an offer like that!!! I'll email you at work with what I'm looking for. My only criteria is that it has to take pictures of silver CLs that look as good as red ones... </STRONG>
Old 08-09-2001, 06:02 PM
My other car is a 350Z

Jim, I'm thinking about the pricey DSC S75 and a big fat 128 MB flash memory stick.

Glenn, you've got mail!
Old 08-09-2001, 07:37 PM
Racer

WOW 3 Megapixels. Cool. I decided that I did not need that high of resolution pics and settled with the P50. But still a really nice camera. Better than what I have...

<STRONG>Jim, I'm thinking about the pricey DSC S75 and a big fat 128 MB flash memory stick.

Glenn, you've got mail!</STRONG>

Quick Reply: Sacramento Meet #5 - Saturday August 18