Serious Electrical Problem with My 2011 ZDX Advance

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 80 Posts
Serious Electrical Problem with My 2011 ZDX Advance

OK, folks, I wanted to lay this out here in case anyone starts to have a similar problem. So far my dealership and Acura corporate are telling me my case is unique, which I hope is true.

Over the July 4th weekend, in Las Vegas with my family on the ZDX's first road trip, my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. I got warnings about the IDS, ABS, SH-AWD, power steering, and power brakes. I pulled over, stopped the car and started it again, and the warnings went away. The next day the same thing happened, but that was the day we were driving back to Los Angeles anyway. After one stop-and-restart, we made the long drive with no warning lights.

The very next morning they all came on again, so I went straight to the dealership. They took the car in, claimed they diagnosed it as a weak battery, replaced the battery, and sent me on my way.

The next morning all the lights came on again. Back to the dealership, and this time I think they took the situation more seriously. They actually did check each of the affected systems, which reported they were fine, so then they started tracing the electrical connections between them. They found one connector in a wiring harness under the rear seat with a loose pin, so they replaced that connector and called it good to go.

I was good to go, for about two more weeks before all the same lights came on again. I went back to the dealership, and now they were really puzzled. They involved Acura corporate who said they've never seen a problem like this on the ZDX. Their solution was to replace the entire wiring harness that essentially connects all the driving-related sensors throughout the car (the faulty connector was part of this harness). That apparently involves essentially taking the entire interior of my car apart. This process took two weeks, because the mechanics aren't used to working on ZDX's, the process itself is so intensive, and the wiring harness was backordered.

I was supposed to get my car yesterday, but late in the day they called and said the corporate rep also wants them to replace the computer that controls the IDS. I guess there's a disagreement here--the shop foreman at the dealership feels the wiring harness should do the trick, but corporate said that all the warnings I experienced are actually routed through that one computer. Of course that computer is also backordered and will take another two weeks to arrive.

For the first time in my life I actually researched lemon laws. I'm not going that route yet, but just the fact I had to look into it bothers me. We were also supposed to take the ZDX on another road trip to Monterey next week, but now the ZDX will still be in the shop so we'll be taking our RDX. No big deal, except that, even if the ZDX was back, I might be afraid to take it on a long trip again until I get some confidence they've actually fixed the problem. I have never in the past had to worry that an Acura was going to leave me stranded.

So like I said, I share this here so that if someone else starts to see the same thing happening they can know it's not a unique problem. I'm hoping it's more like the thread we had here over a year ago with the shattered back window, that was apparently a one-time thing and not a systemic design flaw. In the meantime, wish me luck! I *love* my ZDX, and hope I can soon put this electrical gremlin behind me!
The following users liked this post:
jdscott (08-06-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm kinda surprised the dealer didn't give you a loaner ZDX (maybe 'cause it wouldn't look nearly as nice as yours?). Our ZDX has been at the dealer here in Memphis for 10 days for some post-accident electrical gremlins that they had some trouble diagnosing and they gave us a ZDX loaner. Give the dealer a call since it's Acura's inventory control problem and nothing you did to cause the initial symptoms.
And no, we haven't had anything like this on our ZDX. It sounds like a one time problem that will hopefully be resolved with the harness and computer switch.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
Sorry to hear about the troubles! Hopefully they get everything worked out for you and you don’t experience this down the road again. I’m kind of curious how many tech's out there have experience working on the ZDX, since there’s not much on the road to begin with. Not saying it's a difficult vehicle to work on, just rare.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
We all know the ZDX is rare, but what about the MDX? Doesn't it share most of the electronics with the MDX?

And luckily I haven't had any issues like this happen - only the spurious low battery warning.

I'm surprised that they didnt give you a ZDX or at least an MDX as a loaner.

Good luck with your situation, I hope it works out for you.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

They did give us a ZDX (Tech) as a loaner. It's just not *ours*, and they also limit the miles we can put on it so we can't take it up the coast. It's pretty filthy and beat-up (like most loaners seem to be) and lacks the blind-spot warning system and adaptive cruise control that make our Advance model such a pleasure to drive long distances.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

They just called to tell me the computer is completely unavailable and won't be in until September 3rd at the earliest. They offered to have me pick my ZDX up or to keep the loaner; I told them I'll pick mine up tomorrow. My challenge will be: if there are no problems with warning lights in the next month, do I let them change out the computer anyway?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
lemon that car

tell them to replace the car
Old 08-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I think you should pursue Lemon Law if possible - I would recommend you to lawyer up - companies seem to respond better to lawyers.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I'd get your car back, take it in for the computer replacement on the 3rd and see how it goes. It sounds as if they want to replace the computer "just to be sure."

But I'd also ask what they're willing to do to comp you for your inconvenience - maybe free service for 4-5 years or an extended warranty for free or something of that nature.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
if you can, avoid loaners. they are mad dirty.the amount of dirt, mucous, food, vomit and love juice is too much to be healthy.

as for lemon law its your call. if you get it back and there is no problems, you can choose to keep it. if you however feel that taking it apart may cause issues (rattles, damage) then it's your right to pursue lemon law.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Got Beach?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd have them replace the electronic/computer part, just to be sure about it.

Most lemon laws are based around three strikes for the same prob, right?

You're at two fixes. If it does it again after the next fix, lemon that car and make them eat it.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DJ Iceman,
Bummer!! Hopefully this is an isolated issue, and that the harness/computer replacement solves the problem once and for all. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
DJ ICEMAN,

Just wondering how things were going with this problem.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:54 AM
Burning Brakes

I drove the car for a couple of weeks after the harness repair with no recurrence of the problem. We're still waiting for the new computer module to come in, but I'm now out of the country for a few weeks so not driving the ZDX (nor available for that repair, if the part arrives).
Old 09-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
if you will listen, you do not want to own a car with lot of plastic parts removed and replaced. in few years things start falling apart.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

Question

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
I drove the car for a couple of weeks after the harness repair with no recurrence of the problem. We're still waiting for the new computer module to come in, but I'm now out of the country for a few weeks so not driving the ZDX (nor available for that repair, if the part arrives).
DJ Iceman,
Do you have any updates this situation with your car? Did the problem get resolved? Just curious......
Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far so good. I'm up to about 5,500 miles and at 10% oil, so I'll be in for scheduled maintenance soon. It was just before Christmas that the dealership finally called and said the new control unit had arrived, but I told them I was leery of replacing it since I haven't had any problems since they changed out the wiring harness.

I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed, but it appears they found and fixed the problem.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Burning Brakes

OK, that's weird. That's actually my post but it came through as "Iceman" and not "DJ Iceman"...
Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

That's good news - let's hope that it's not a ZDX issue but just a one-time fluke. For you, it's back to enjoying your ZDX!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
That is good news, thought we had lost you, Oct to Jan was a long spell.