Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

Couple of repair questions/issue with an 03 Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 04:42 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couple of repair questions/issue with an 03 Type-S

Hey guys, I have an 03 Type-S with a couple of things that need to be repaired or fixed.

First is the Driver's side leather seat. The area where the airbag is on the side of the seat, the leather has started to tear, and on another place down on the side of the lower part of the seat, there is some tearing too. I don't know if this is because the previous owner never used any kind of leather conditioner or what (by the way what is a good thing to use to keep leather seats in good condition? Im using black magic leather conditioner, stuff look like mayonaise!)

Anyway, I want to know what the most cost effective way of fixing this would be. I want it to look decent, but I don't want to pay a thousand dollars to the dealer or whatever it would cost to replace it. Should I just patch it temporarily to stop the spread? Or would I be able to take it to some kind of car interior/leather upholstery place and they would be able to repair it or make it loook good?

My second questions is the little black trim pieces below the windows.. not sure what its called, the black paint/rubber layer is starting to crack and flake off... I What is the best thing to do to fix this or replace these? And what causes this? I also noticed the black trim on the tear side windows is starting to discolor and fade slightly. Anything I can do to fix this or prevent further damage?

Thanks much!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:47 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by NateDawg
Hey guys, I have an 03 Type-S with a couple of things that need to be repaired or fixed.

First is the Driver's side leather seat. The area where the airbag is on the side of the seat, the leather has started to tear, and on another place down on the side of the lower part of the seat, there is some tearing too. I don't know if this is because the previous owner never used any kind of leather conditioner or what (by the way what is a good thing to use to keep leather seats in good condition? Im using black magic leather conditioner, stuff look like mayonaise!)

Anyway, I want to know what the most cost effective way of fixing this would be. I want it to look decent, but I don't want to pay a thousand dollars to the dealer or whatever it would cost to replace it. Should I just patch it temporarily to stop the spread? Or would I be able to take it to some kind of car interior/leather upholstery place and they would be able to repair it or make it loook good?

My second questions is the little black trim pieces below the windows.. not sure what its called, the black paint/rubber layer is starting to crack and flake off... I What is the best thing to do to fix this or replace these? And what causes this? I also noticed the black trim on the tear side windows is starting to discolor and fade slightly. Anything I can do to fix this or prevent further damage?

Thanks much!
for the seats id say you just buy a set of used seats. it'll be easier then having a shop redo your seats
Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by aphan
for the seats id say you just buy a set of used seats. it'll be easier then having a shop redo your seats
What do you think is the best source for some good used seats? Online? Ebay? Salvage yard? Or is there a specific place that deals in stuff like that.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 PM
I can divide by zero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
For the seats, there's really not easy "low cost" solution. Even used junk yard seats are going to be a bit pricey due to the whole airbag thing. Even something from Katzkin is going to run you over 1,000. Pretty much you're going to have to dig and find something.

As far as treating the leather in a spray on form, I've always tended to prefer Lexol. If you have a horse stable supply store, you can buy it cheaper at larger quantities there (used for the saddle hide leather a lot). The cream types always tend to do a better job at penetrating the leather and richening it up. I just don't have the time or patience for cream application.
The following users liked this post:
NateDawg (02-13-2012)