Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

2002 RSX-S engine bouncing over rough road

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 RSX-S engine bouncing over rough road

Hey guys and gals

I bought a 2002 rsx type s about a month ago as a dd/beater opposite my 2004 TL.

Now I know the ride quality should naturally be a bit rougher compared to my TL but this RSX seems pretty ridiculous. If I'm in a gear accelerating and hit a bump the engine revs go Crazy jumping all over the place. Ithe only occurs while in a gear over a bump. If I'm accelerating up a smooth road the engine pulls along just fine and when I Rev the engine in neutral or with the clutch in at a stop it's also very smooth. I really need some help diagnosing the problem.

The suspension appears to be all stock with the only mods done to it being anice Aem v2 intake and an RS-R cat back exhaust.

I've taking it to a reputable independent Acura mechanic in my area. They suggested engine mounts, found they were loose, tightened them, but I'm still getting the problem

Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks everyone
Old 01-08-2015, 07:55 AM
acura master tech

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
well motor mounts would be my first guess. the front and side mount are the first to go. check your grounds, and front sturts are pretty week in the front.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:52 AM
Jeff

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
i am willing to bet your front motor mount is torn, it is a very common problem. if not that one it could be any of the others as well. OEM mounts blow, literally
Old 03-03-2015, 07:16 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Given your motor mount, shocks, suspension, sway bars, rod ends, cv joints, rack/pinion and tires are all right and tight. You need to give the throttle a break over the bumps. You cannot control the tcs or tsc with the on off relay like you are able to in your TL. T

The rsx will automatically alternate power from the right and left tires independently to gain control in inclimate conditions. Similarly attempting to punch the throttle over buckled assault and spaces in concrete; the rsx will attempt to gain traction forcing power from one side to the other. This is why you feel your car "jumping". If you give full throttle in the rain losing traction you will again feel this symptom.

Try not engage VTEC unless you have a smooth dry surface, if you can't help it and still want to do it over the bumps and in the rain without the engine "jumping", simply ease off the throttle as you anticipate or feel the the car distributing power from right and left. Also never give full throttle from a stand alone start.. Roll into full throttle from greater than 5 to 10 miles an hour.. You will accelerate much faster, gaining all the traction possible.
The following users liked this post:
Sageeee (03-16-2015)