Looks like the 2016 ILX Aspec front is a thing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 08:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah that black trims really makes it look bad, your photo of it made it look better than the website though lol.

I get what you saying sk, M package, A spec, blah blah they're pretty much the same. A rear diffuser might help but who's to say it's not how acura "claims" their A spec for the TL was aerodynamic? If you compare them the only difference is suspension and a rear diffuser from what you guys posted?
I dunno but I thought of oem suspensions being a bit overpriced for what you get unless the m package is a full coil over setup or something.
The following users liked this post:
iamitman (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
The aspec on the ilx most definitely is not functional like the BMW M diffuser.

And the a spec ilx had absolutely no performance benefits unless the wheels are maybe .5in wider.
So BMW claims are true, but Acura Claims are false? What is your logic? BMW can't do any wrong?
The following 2 users liked this post by iamitman:
07Acuradude (04-06-2015), skd2k1 (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by iamitman
So BMW claims are true, but Acura Claims are false? What is your logic? BMW can't do any wrong?
Acura doesn't claim the ilx aspec front lip has performance benefits. Only the tl aspec front lip is claimed to. That's my logic genius.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
^I haven't seen a press release regarding the ilx aspec kit, so as far as I know acura hasn't officially commented one way or the other. I would assume that the ilx aspec kit has been tested in a wind tunnel and provides a similar function to the 3g tl aspec kit.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
while M sport is basically what Aspec is for Acura but there are a few key differences and some of these differences are not even mentioned on the website:

Exterior: Instead of add on pieces, M sport gives you full sport front, rear bumper and side skirt. You can ONLY get staggered 225/255 in M sport RWD

Interior: M sport steering wheel, sport seats, black headliner, M shifter, SPORT gauges (shows Hp and torque) and sport lighting (Orange to white)

Performance: Sport+ only available ein Sport and M sport, M sport suspension (lower and stiffer), M sport (4 piston F, 2 Rear) Brembo brakes. M sport wheels, additional oil coolers for M sport only.

There is also the M sport accessories (Exhaust, even bigger Brembo brake M Performance Kit (35hp and 30lb of torque), Carbon fiber parts and others)

So you can say A spec and M sport are similar but BMW put a lot more than just a small add on lip kit. The difference is so big that many would not have gotten the F30 without M sport.

No one is going to drive fast enough to even feel any downforce or aero difference, if there is even any. But when offered a sport trim like V Sport, F Sport, M sport or Aspec, at least there should be something really exclusive for these trims.

V sport - it has the looks and the power!
F Sport - LFA inspired gauges
M sport - Above
A Spec - ??

Last edited by oonowindoo; 04-06-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Suzuka Master

M Sport:BMW::A-Spec:Acura except for the ILX.

A-spec up until now has meant some sort of performance extras. However the ILX gets no performance extras. EVEN IF the aero kit provides better wind tunnel results that is still HARDLY enough to equate itself to the upgrades the A-Spec TL got over the base TL.

A-Spec ILX is a slap in the face to the A-Spec badge as it has no performance features over the non A-Spec. It is more or less an ILX California... See TL California for reference.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
So you can say A spec and M sport are similar but BMW put a lot more than just a small add on lip kit. The difference is so big that many would not have gotten the F30 without M sport.

No one is going to drive fast enough to even feel any downforce or aero difference, if there is even any. But when offered a sport trim like V Sport, F Sport, M sport or Aspec, at least there should be something really exclusive for these trims.

V sport - it has the looks and the power!
F Sport - LFA inspired gauges
M sport - Above
A Spec - ??
you will pay more for a bmw, so you ought to get more.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

M Sport:BMW::A-Spec:Acura except for the ILX.

A-spec up until now has meant some sort of performance extras. However the ILX gets no performance extras. EVEN IF the aero kit provides better wind tunnel results that is still HARDLY enough to equate itself to the upgrades the A-Spec TL got over the base TL.

A-Spec ILX is a slap in the face to the A-Spec badge as it has no performance features over the non A-Spec. It is more or less an ILX California... See TL California for reference.
I don't think it's a slap in the face. would you rather no option for front and rear aspec add-ons at all?
Old 04-08-2015, 03:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4cruizn
I'm ok with everything except that black accent on the hood.

That black thing is an add on (maybe a bug shield?), I just bought a 2016 A-SPEC Premium and looks nothing like that.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by skd2k1
I don't think it's a slap in the face. would you rather no option for front and rear aspec add-ons at all?
The pre 2015 ILX has front and rear add ons as well they just didnt call them A-Spec.

Id prefer if they kept it like that. They have the ILX. Then they have the ILX add ons. End of story. No need to rebadge it as an a-spec when it doesnt live up to what the a-spec for the TL was.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by aspec2016

That black thing is an add on (maybe a bug shield?), I just bought a 2016 A-SPEC Premium and looks nothing like that.
Can I ask why you bought an A-Spec without the A-Spec kit? How much did the dealer want to charge you to put the A-Spec kit on what is supposed to be the A-Spec ILX?
Old 04-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
^The 'Aspec' ILX doesn't come with the 'Aspec' kits...

It's silly.

But it's another way for them to make their money.

And I feel like the black piece was plasti dip or something the dealer came up with to look different/ more aggressive..
Old 04-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Timmy18
^The 'Aspec' ILX doesn't come with the 'Aspec' kits...

It's silly.

But it's another way for them to make their money.

And I feel like the black piece was plasti dip or something the dealer came up with to look different/ more aggressive..
Agreed x4
It would be an interesting conversation between the sales rep and I:
Rep pulls an A-Spec out of storage...
Me: Where is the A-Spec kit?
Rep: This is the A-Spec ILX.
Me: I know but where is the A-Spec kit?
Rep: The A-Spec includes the side spoiler and rear deck spoiler.
Me: What about the A-Spec front and rear pieces?
Rep: Those cost extra. We can add them on if you'd....
Me: So you want to sell me the ILX A-Spec WITHOUT the A-Spec kit?
Rep: Well sir, the A-Spec ILX doesn't come with the full kit...
Me: So the ILX A-Spec doesn't come with the ILX A-Spec kit?
Rep:
Me:
Old 04-08-2015, 10:20 PM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Can I ask why you bought an A-Spec without the A-Spec kit? How much did the dealer want to charge you to put the A-Spec kit on what is supposed to be the A-Spec ILX?
Im just not a fan of the add on bumper panels. I like the wheels, rear spoiler, driving lights and interior that come with the A-Spec.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by volnedan
This is the body kit accessory, not the A-spec standard bumper.

But I do agree that the black accents look out of place.
Can can you tell me if that is the standard rear lip spoiler or is that the one that came with the a spec kit, I'm not sure if there's a difference. Ty
Old 11-28-2018, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts
USDMJON, with you 100%. I think there never should have been an a-spec option for the ilx. I own a 2015 2.4L ILX. Having the option for the accessories to add on was perfectly fine. Acura should have left it at that and if anything came up with a type S version of the car improving the overall of the car performance and looks...kinda what the first gen had with the 2.0 vs the 2.4L (minus the looks part lol)