Bought one set of rear arms, turns out they aren't good, looking at another set now.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 10:21 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I'm just mentally preparing myself at this point as I'd be doing it myself. I haven't touched the trailing or leading arms yet, and those are pretty corroded/seized on there. I may just get an angle grinder at that point and cut them in half and unbolt the remaining from the knuckles. There's just no way I can cleanly remove them from the subframe. Maybe if I order some Kroil from Amazon and just soak it for days, but even then there's no guarantee of it coming out smoothly.

I have a listing saved of a pretty clean one in that price range. My two worries would be removing those heavily rusty trailing/leading arms, and dropping the exhaust that has probably never been unbolted in 190k miles..

Those two things aside I can knock this out in a couple hours as everything else is new. I just know something will heavily go wrong when I touch those two things that I fear the most.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I think losing sleep over it is probably going to be worse than when you get under there and find a solution.
Not tryna be a dick but this scenario is precisely why if there's any chance in hell for me to...I do all my own stunts.
Most techs are not skilled or lack desire or pride in their work. If someone is gonna give it a go it might as well be
a guy that cares most if MY car is okay when it's all done.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
Angle grinder will only work in certain areas and not certain other areas. Believe me, I have been down there and watched someone do it in real time. You will need a sawzall with a long blade, that's the only way to get in between the frame and the bushing sleeve to cut it out. An angle grind's disk is not flexible like a sawzall blade. And second, you will need to pre-spray all the bolts with penetrant, many days continuously in a row, or it will be a real battle. Get yourself new bolts for every single connection point. And you will need a serious rear end alignment after that.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:22 AM

trade it into carmax
Old 08-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by t-rd
Angle grinder will only work in certain areas and not certain other areas. Believe me, I have been down there and watched someone do it in real time. You will need a sawzall with a long blade, that's the only way to get in between the frame and the bushing sleeve to cut it out. An angle grind's disk is not flexible like a sawzall blade. And second, you will need to pre-spray all the bolts with penetrant, many days continuously in a row, or it will be a real battle. Get yourself new bolts for every single connection point. And you will need a serious rear end alignment after that.
Like I've said, 90% of it is already new bolts from when the lower and upper adjustable arms went in. And when I say I want to cut it out, I'm not talking from the bushing. I want to cut the actual arm in half as I'd order new ones for that as well. I can get the half removed from the knuckle, but I can give two shits about what is still connected to the old subframe. To be honest I'd probably go back to all non-adjustable arms with this.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
trade it into carmax
I mean it's honestly crossed my mind at this point, but I'm so close to being done with it, and I've already invested too much to just get rid of it.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Advanced

Yeah... I think I'm gonna put a hold on that rear subframe swap and deal with what I have now. I took the car back to the shop and they let me get it on the lift for 5 minutes to take some pics. The first pair of pictures isn't too bad, it's the second pair that will show why I'm not doing it.

Lateral arm rust/bolts rust:

Exhaust practically welded together by rust:

I'm not sure what the going rate of this car is nowadays, but I'm not heavily contemplating selling it seeing how it's in an acceptable driving condition. Not perfect, but not bad either.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:16 AM

I was kidding...
fix it and enjoy.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:59 AM
Advanced

My biggest hurdle of fixing it now would be those exhaust bolts to drop the exhaust, there's just no way of getting those bolts out of there.

The only other thing I can think of is cut the exhaust a little bit after that where the piping is perfectly straight, and either put an exhaust clamp to bring the two together when I go to reinstall, or take it to an exhaust shop. I don't have experience with either of those options.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:49 PM

every problem has a solution. all it will take is either time, or money. figure out which one you have more of and get after it.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:36 PM
Advanced

Well I guess there is some kind of light at the end of the tunnel.

Took it to an exhaust shop 10 mins away that has really good reviews. Explained what was up, what I wanted, and asked what can be done.

To put it simply they got loose those old rusted over nuts you see, and put new nuts on with antiseize to make the removal a painless process for me.

In the end they didn't even charge me for anything, even after insisting I pay something.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:29 PM

that's what I'm fuckin talkin about!
That's great! So they didn't charge you for an hour of labor and they basically made a customer for life that will probably get others to go to them.
That's a feel good story!
Old 08-07-2018, 10:18 PM
Advanced

I'm honestly still surprised he got it done, and it was so fast as well. It took him maybe 10 minutes to come back in and say it's all ready to go for when I need to remove it.

Now the situation currently is: Do I DIY the subframe myself (already purchased and have done such a job on my old S2000), or do I take it to the shop and get it done for $375 out the door in labor.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:31 AM

Yourself.
Learn the lesson, don't trust others to do what you can do yourself correctly.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Everything is starting to ship out. I also said fuck it and purchased some factory non-adjustable arms from RockAuto, including new trailing arms. Alongside those arms I dropped another $60 on bolts, this time for the lateral arms and main subframe bolts, among other bolts that are old and I want to replace.

I'm keeping the upper adjustable arms though cause A) Finding replacements are damn expensive and B) I still have the old stock arm I'm going to match it to again and tell the alignment guys to not touch it.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:07 PM

I had the upper camber SPC single arm...if I were going through everything you did though, I might consider just leaving well enough alone and keeping stock spec with just the toe bolt
Old 08-08-2018, 08:31 PM
Advanced

The upper adjustable arm is just as good as a stock arm when I make it stock length and keep it there, right? Regardless all the alignment shops near me were damn clueless at my whole aetup, which is a big reason I'm mainly going back to stock everything, and that one adjustable arm at stock specs.

I was also looking at the Harbor Freight electric impact wrench to just remove the bolts to speed up the process, but I'm not sure how useful 200 ft lbs of tq would be in this application. I know there are electric impacts in the $150-200 range that have 600-700 ft lbs of tightening, and 1,200-1,400 ft lbs of loosening so 200 ft lbs seems a wee bit low.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
Just let them adjust the upper arm if needed. Maybe your rear springs are sagging.

And you won't be able to get it perfect.

They SHOULD try not to adjust the uppers unless they need to....but they might need to, is what I'm saying. The stock toe adjuster also adjusts camber.

With new arms, it should all be in spec unless something else is worn or bent.

And again...make sure you don't tighten those bushing bolts for any of the arms with the wheels up in the air. Or you'll be buying arms again in a few months.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:14 PM
Advanced

Just when I thought things were looking good, everything comes crashing back down.

I've been noticing a weird pop lately in the front end, so tonight I decided to took in my wheel wells with a flash light. To put it simply, I find this with my passenger side front control arm:

Bought one set of rear arms, turns out they aren't good, looking at another set now.-yrhmzdr.jpg

My drivers side looks like this:

Bought one set of rear arms, turns out they aren't good, looking at another set now.-o3wyasd.jpg

Now before I lose my mind at this point, please tell me this is simply the wrong sized bolt/missing spacer on the passenger side and not the fact that the hole in the front subframe has been enlarged where the bolt is meant to go through the bushing.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Both sides have the wrong nut, with missing cam plate. These aren't my pictures but you get the idea. Both sides should have a locking nut with a nylon insert, with a cam plate with a dial on it. I've never seen the bolt completely taken out, but I believe the hole is big for the eccentric bolt to move freely. I really don't know what hillbilly did this job for you. I suggest you buy the right parts first, before driving back to a good place to get this looked at. Get 2 new OEM eccentric bolts and nuts, GO TO AN ACURA DEALER to get the parts and ask a tech in person about this. It looks like, they cut the bolts off, but slapped on some regular 2 bolts and 2 nuts, and the nut on one side is WAYYYYY too small. You should always be prepped with extra bolts when suspension work is being done. I pre-bought these same bolts and nuts in the past for the same work.

Once again, reference this thread I posted before: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-t...-864705/page2/

Old 08-09-2018, 12:31 AM
Advanced

That's the rear subframe which I already have on the way, the discovery I just made has to do with the front subframe.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:56 AM
Safety Car

The front position on the TL likely comes with a press-in nut.

I'm guessing your original bolt rusted in place and someone just removed the original nut and replaced it with a hardware store part.

See if Acura sells the correct nut seperately.

Whomever owned or worked on the car before you seems very hamfisted.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:31 AM

Brolando is still one of my favorites on this site.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:49 AM
Burning Brakes

OMG... W T F.... I can't seem to keep up with your suspension issues. You better go and get your full refund from the hillbilly place. Same deal for the front. That looks like the inboard side of the triangle lower control arm. You need at least OEM bolts. There might have been welded on nut on the frame, but I don't recall now. Look at the OEM diagrams on https://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/ and study them carefully.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Advanced

I went ahead and ordered the OEM bolt, washers, and nut I need.

Looking at it from just that angle, the hole simply looks enlarged. I don't know what the OEM bolt/washers can do if the bolt will still be moving around on the inside.

Ugh what a dumb fucking mechanic that guy was to do this much damage.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:44 AM
Advanced

Yep needs a new front subframe, it is bent on the other side as well.

I called up the mechanic and even showed up to his shop, but of course he denies everything and refuses to do anything about it.

What a shitty fucking situation
Old 08-10-2018, 02:27 PM
Safety Car

well...did he bend the subframe? if he did, then you can bend it back. he's only a man (or woman).

How is it bent?
Old 08-10-2018, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Looks like a mixture of bent & torn up. Do you know if the 07 08 TL-S models can take subframes from the base 04-06 models?
Old 08-23-2018, 07:41 PM
Advanced

As a final update:

Old 08-23-2018, 08:03 PM
Burning Brakes

What was all done at the end of this story??
Old 08-23-2018, 10:32 PM
Advanced

Front and rear subframe, new rear OEM control arms, and new rear leading arms. For everything that was done on my car within a 7 (maybe 8 week?) period:

Front End
Subframe & 3 motor mounts (1 came practically new with the replacement subframe)
Lower & upper control arms
Inner & outer tie rods with new steering rack boots
Ball joints
Brembo calipers
Swaybar end links
Radiator & radiator fan

Rear End
Subframe
Upper adjustable control arms
OEM lower control arms
Leading arms
Swaybar end links

With the shocks & springs as well as front axles being changed last year, practically everything underneath the car suspension & chassis wise has been refreshed. New OEM bolts also went in for everything that was changed.

Last edited by LightKiosk; 08-23-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:58 PM
Advanced

I always noticed my steering wheel was more sensitive turning one way than the other, so I did a simple test. I locked the wheel all the way to the left, and I locked the wheel all the way to the right.

I learned that the wheel stops much shorter going to the right compared to the left. If I had to say, I'd pin it as 45 degree angle locked to the right, and almost 90 degree angle locked to the left.

Is this an alignment thing, or am I just overthinking it?
Old 08-29-2018, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LightKiosk
I always noticed my steering wheel was more sensitive turning one way than the other, so I did a simple test. I locked the wheel all the way to the left, and I locked the wheel all the way to the right.

I learned that the wheel stops much shorter going to the right compared to the left. If I had to say, I'd pin it as 45 degree angle locked to the right, and almost 90 degree angle locked to the left.

Is this an alignment thing, or am I just overthinking it?

Did they center the steering rack after/whilst replacing the subframe?

I assume no, judging from your post.

Last edited by BROlando; 08-29-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:20 PM
Safety Car

Do this.

Center the steering wheel so that the drive wheels are "straight ahead".

Turn to the right lock. Count the turns.

Re center the wheel to straight ahead.

Turn to the left lock. Count the turns.

Same? Or different?

Is that the test you already did?
Old 08-29-2018, 01:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BROlando
Do this.

Center the steering wheel so that the drive wheels are "straight ahead".

Turn to the right lock. Count the turns.

Re center the wheel to straight ahead.

Turn to the left lock. Count the turns.

Same? Or different?

Is that the test you already did?

Yup that's the test I did. Here's some pics of the wheel at full lock both ways to demonstrate visually that it stops at different angles.

Bought one set of rear arms, turns out they aren't good, looking at another set now.-j2izlyo.jpg

You can see where the S badge lands relative to the speedometer trim as a reference point.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:13 PM
Burning Brakes

The question is, did you get an alignment done on the car? You need a 4 wheel alignment after changing out the front and rear sub frames. The entire suspension setup moved.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by t-rd
The question is, did you get an alignment done on the car? You need a 4 wheel alignment after changing out the front and rear sub frames. The entire suspension setup moved.
That is after the alignment.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:24 PM
Burning Brakes

If the turning radius is about the same going right or left, and car tracks straight, I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:51 PM
Advanced

The turning radius is not the same. Turning one side is obviously more sensitive compared to the other, combined with the steering wheel like that, leads me to believe something either wasn't installed properly or aligned properly.

I'm going into the shop tomorrow that did my front subframe as they want to look over it.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:57 PM
Safety Car

I see the angular difference.

So it was a fraction of a turn off.

Someone done goofed on centering the spline and the rack.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:19 PM
Advanced

Yep, now comes the awkward talk of getting them to redo it... as that's probably quite a bit of labor.

Quick Reply: Bought one set of rear arms, turns out they aren't good, looking at another set now.