Paint peeling on Roof- 2015 TLX

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:22 PM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Paint peeling on Roof- 2015 TLX

I was washing my 2015 TLX (purchased 8/2014, currently has 57,000 miles) the other day, and noticed that there is significant paint peeling within the small grove at the rear of the roof, where the roof meets the rear window. This isn't just a small area, I'd say 40% of the paint in that grove is peeling (pictures included). I called the dealer where I purchased the vehicle, and I got someone in the service department, when I explained the issue, she told me that they don't handle warranty work, that I should call their body shop. I knew this was BS, but I did what I was told. The body shop laughed, but told me to bring the car over, they would take a look, then get in touch with the dealer to see what could be done. A week goes by, I contact the body shop, he says he emailed the service manager, but would email him again. Now two weeks have gone by, and nothing from the service manager. I contact Acura customer service, and setup a case # to deal with my issues. Two days go by and I get nothing, so I called them today, and they apologized for my dealer experience, but the paint warranty is 4 years/50k miles, and since I'm at 57,000 miles I am out of luck. So please, someone tell me how this is normal (the paint peeling), that I spent 43k on a TLX advance, just so the paint can start deteriorating 3 years and two months after I purchase the vehicle. This is my second Acura (first I owned from 52k to 160k), and will be my last. Not only was the dealer completely non-responsive, but Acura customer care isn't even interested in looking at the photos of what's going on with the vehicle.
My hope with this thread is to let people know that this could be an issue, and that Acura is perfectly happy to lose me as a customer, as that is what I informed customer care.
Good luck everyone-
Attached Thumbnails Paint peeling on Roof- 2015 TLX-starkey-6-.jpg   Paint peeling on Roof- 2015 TLX-img_3403.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jerome Davis (08-13-2020)
Old 11-08-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
to me; it looks like the back window was replaced and someone jabbed tools in that crevice.
agreed that it shouldn't happen on a fairly new car, 2014 as a 2015 model.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:30 PM
9th Gear

The rear window has not been touched, the car has not been in an accident. I am the original owner, body shop man said this was a defect from when it was painted at the factory.
justnspace (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,585 Likes on 6,631 Posts
ACS should assist with this.
Drock2005tl (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 12:33 PM

Def. paint defects, as you can see it lifting behind the glass...
Old 11-08-2017, 12:37 PM
9th Gear

I couldn't agree more, which is why I contacted them. I was extremely disappointed with their response, since I'm still 10 months within the warranty (time), cause this issue was not caused by driving, but because my commute is more than most, Acura is taking the easy way out. It really is a shame to lose a repeat customer this way.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Drock2005tl
It really is a shame to lose a repeat customer this way.
the writing on the wall has been there since about 2009. Dont tell me you bought a 4G, then now a 5G?
Old 11-08-2017, 12:50 PM
9th Gear

I sure did, however in my defense the 2005 TL was a damn good car, and no paint peeling!!! I did make the mistake of buying the 2015 right off the truck, first advance the Sanford, FL dealer got. But the 2014's were so ugly I couldn't buy one of those.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
There is a chance the glass was replaced, for whatever reason. You have no idea how many cars get bumps and bruises and shit broken during transport. Dealerships fix those on the regular, upon arrival. However, I wouldn't expect them to cheap out on the installation. They would obviously replace with OEM pieces, but it could come down to who is actually installing them. There would also be zero paper work you could find regarding a repair. A new car isn't yet owned by anyone, and hence nothing gets addressed to the VIN. The dealership doesn't have to report a thing.

Either way, regardless of whatever the cause is, I agree, I think Acura customer service will take care of you. At least they should. Dealerships are a different breed, altogether. However, Acura itself will make the ultimate decision. I don't see why they would deny you.

Last edited by TacoBello; 11-08-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:07 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
I'd blast them on social media and attach pictures if neither the dealer of Acura customer service takes care of it. They'll be more inclined to provide a fix due to the negative publicity. That's completely unacceptable for a car still under warranty. Seems like the dealer is too lazy to even take a look. Maybe try a different dealership.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
I'd expect that if I were purchasing a 1985 Dodge Daytona, but not from any model made in at least the last 10 years.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by honda_nut
I'd blast them on social media and attach pictures if neither the dealer of Acura customer service takes care of it. They'll be more inclined to provide a fix due to the negative publicity. That's completely unacceptable for a car still under warranty. Seems like the dealer is too lazy to even take a look. Maybe try a different dealership.
As unfair as it might seem he is no longer under warranty & hasn't been for seven thousand miles. Why it seems unfair (or stupid) is paint has little or nothing to do with miles driven. However it has a lot to do with how long its been on the car. Just some schlocky people play games with the letter of the warranty rather then common sense. Should be an automatic "customer good will fix".
Old 11-08-2017, 07:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by svtmike
I'd expect that if I were purchasing a 1985 Dodge Daytona, but not from any model made in at least the last 10 years.
Maybe the robot goofed & sloshed too much widow adhesive in the channel then a fixer used to much or never cleaned up the solvent used to remove it.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Not sure about the USA, but in Canada rust perforation is 5 years / unlimited mileage. No idea why it's a problem, car is new with no accidents.
https://www.acura.ca/owners/standard-warranty
Old 11-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
That looks terrible. I'd definitely keep contacting Acura about it until they actually do something.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:04 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Must not be original paint because Acura's are known for their Best in Class Paint Quality™ where it will shine for years.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:00 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Sounds like the Acura I know.... try any way possible to deflect responsibility for the quality of their cars and not fix it. I'm surprised you didn't get their standard response... 'oh that is normal. All our cars are that way'

What part of the country do you live? Is the car parked outside?
Old 11-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Maybe the robot goofed & sloshed too much widow adhesive in the channel then a fixer used to much or never cleaned up the solvent used to remove it.
I was thinking of the old silvers and blue-grays that would peel off in sheets or just evaporate in the sun. But yeah definitely looks like something went wrong installing the window.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:21 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Let me ask a few questions:

What condition is the rest of the car in? Is it absolutely perfect with no door dings or scratches?
How often do you return to the dealer for service? Just recalls or all the maintenances?
Is the car garaged every night and weekends or is left out all the time?
Does your car have a good coat of wax on it? Or do you never wax your car?
Do you live in an area where there are factories that pollute the air and consequently might cause acid rain?

Make sure you read page 5 of your warranty book about how Acura handles claims for out of warranty repairs. My warranty manual (as someone else already pointed out) states 5 years and unlimited mileage for rust. In other climates Acura adjusts certain parts of the warranty.

I do not believe this would fall under the rust warranty as the rust must be completely through from the inside out. Surface rust is not covered at all. It should fall under the new car warranty being 4 years or 50,000 miles which ever comes first. Paint is one of those subjective things especially when out of warranty. As a former service manager for 20 plus years, I can't remember ever warranting paint beyond the warranty. There are just too many possibilities.

If it were my vehicle, I would try my best to get it covered, but then after being denied, I would clean the area and apply some touchup paint and then wax it and forget it. It might take me a total of about 15 minutes work. I don't really think this would be a deal breaker should I go sell the car in the future. Yes, I drive a 2015 TLX advanced.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:00 AM

^your first set of questions are null.
the paint is lifting behind the glass.

so, the OP uninstalled the glass, decided to uncare for that channel...then reinstall the glass?
I dont think so.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by justnspace
^your first set of questions are null.
the paint is lifting behind the glass.

so, the OP uninstalled the glass, decided to uncare for that channel...then reinstall the glass?
I dont think so.
We don't really know without a full inspection what the cause of the problem is. What we do know is that the OP waited until 57,000 miles to try and make a warranty claim. The other questions I asked are what the service manager and zone rep makes notes of on whether or not to help someone who is out of warranty. So, they are not quite null.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:06 AM

Hey, I'm the first one to call out people with their shitty paint up keep.
but without taking the glass OFF, there's no way paint can peel like that. as stated, looks like some one jabbed tools there.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:42 AM
Banned

looks like some one jabbed tools there.
I agree with you about looking like some one jabbed something in there. To me it looks like someone used an ice scraper too aggressively. Actually, the ice scraper theory sounds highly probable as when the back is covered with ice and snow, it’s difficult to know where the ice/snow ends and some people get aggressive with the scraper. But there are other possibilities such as carrying things (ex: like a carpet or such) on the roof to cause this damage. Chemicals could also cause it. If the pictures were of higher quality I might be able to tell better. Again, without a full inspection, these two low definition pictures are not enough to go on to make a determination of what caused the problem. We could guess all day, but the people who inspected the car at the Acura dealership made a determination after an inspection. Granted they could be incorrect, but I would not challenge their decision with two low resolution pictures and my above questions unanswered.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:06 AM
9th Gear

Update.....The car is kept outside, but I take very good care of it. I have done all of the maintenance myself, except for the bad wheel bearing that was replaced under warranty. I don't let the dealer do any maintenance because it's way over priced. That said, there is no mention in the owner's manual that the car is required to be garage kept in order for the paint warranty to be valid.
Acura Customer Care sent me a follow up email in regards to the fact that the dealer has not returned any emails. I took the opportunity to showcase my frustration and disappointment that acura customer care would not even consider looking at the photos of the issue, and I attached photos to the email. I have received a reply that customer care is going to perform a "second review", and asked me to send them the body shop estimate for the repair. They are reviewing it now, and they will let me know an answer. This is fairly good news, although they haven't said either way whether they will cover it. Still sucks that I have to go to these lengths just for them to consider covering the cost of a factory defect, and that's not my opinion, that is the opinion of the dealer's body shop that inspected the issue, and provided the quote.
Also, I live in central Florida, and I don't even know how to use an ice scraper. This car has never seen ice before.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:11 AM
9th Gear

Crashmaster, I will say that I didn't "wait" 57,000 miles to tell the dealer of the issue. I wash my car weekly, and noticed it then. I have always wondered why there is no weather stripping in that crevice, so I have noticed the area before, and the paint has not started to peel until recently. In the month since I've noticed the issue, it has gotten significantly worse. I wondering if it started to bubble a long time ago, I just didn't notice because of the crevice location. Still don't think the paint should peel at this point in the life of the car.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:23 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
I worked as an OEM supplier quality manager several years back in Detroit. I was primarily in GM North American assembly plants. There is the possibility your car was damaged during assembly or prior to delivery. Auto assembly plant paint repair is not uncommon. Back on the 90's I was always amazed how much re-painting GM was doing, especially at Cadillac Detroit-Hamtrack, and the Lake Orion Mi plants.

I would really be surprised if Acura did not take care of you after investigating. If the car was damaged in the plant, Acura/Honda Corp should have that information.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Banned

Yes, guessing can often make you look silly if you don't know all the facts.

Keep chugging along with Acura. My only suggestion would be is to stay calm with them, be polite, and at the worst if it seems like you are going to lose, suggest that we split the cost. Acura knows that the $400 or $500 estimate split in half is still a win win for everyone.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:04 PM
9th Gear

Another update, Acura customer care called me today, and they will be taking care of the entire repair (repainting the roof). I've been in contact with the dealer, and have setup the appointment. Little more work on my end than I thought it would be when I first started all of this, but I'll take it nonetheless. I'll give props to Acura customer care, glad they looked at the photos.
Curious3GTL (09-05-2018)
Old 11-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Drock2005tl
Another update, Acura customer care called me today, and they will be taking care of the entire repair (repainting the roof). I've been in contact with the dealer, and have setup the appointment. Little more work on my end than I thought it would be when I first started all of this, but I'll take it nonetheless. I'll give props to Acura customer care, glad they looked at the photos.
Good for you. Nice to see them step up.
Drock2005tl (11-10-2017)
Old 05-28-2018, 06:54 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I'm the first one to call out people with their shitty paint up keep.
but without taking the glass OFF, there's no way paint can peel like that. as stated, looks like some one jabbed tools there.
paint is peeling off my 2015 tlx around back window.. Still under warranty, lets see how Acura handles this. They took pictures and have to head off to Honda Corp. They say it has to go to body shop. Will take one week to hear bck from Honda. This paint peeling is real and a problem with Acura. Let me know if you need any help from me. One more thing, never will I ever buy another Acura.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

Unhappy

Originally Posted by rallen3342
paint is peeling off my 2015 tlx around back window.. Still under warranty, lets see how Acura handles this. They took pictures and have to head off to Honda Corp. They say it has to go to body shop. Will take one week to hear bck from Honda. This paint peeling is real and a problem with Acura. Let me know if you need any help from me. One more thing, never will I ever buy another Acura.
I also have a peeling issue around the back window of my 2015 Acura TLX. I took it to the dealer and they are repairing under warranty. I am the second owner.
'Dealer service manager said he has seen this before but rarely.

I also have an issue with the windshield, rear window, and side window glass. It appears there is a lamination problem. The appearance is as though there is oil all over the glass and it can look blurry in bright light. There is definitely a safety issue and I am waiting to hear if Acura will replace under warranty. It seems Acura would have recourse with their auto-glass supplier.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:52 PM
3rd Gear

2015 TLX paint peeling follow up

Originally Posted by rallen3342
I got the car back from dealer. The body shop had it 3 weeks. The repair looks good. They had to put clear coat over an expanded area. Acura dealer tells me that repair has a warrantee as long as I own vehicle. I was advised to wait 90 days to wax. I had a TLX loaner the entire time. This is in Delray Beach, FL. The body shop claims it took so long because Honda USA had to come and remove back glass.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

It depends on the Acura dealer and there relationship with Acura. They are covering 100 percent of my 2015 Acura TLX rear window paint repair. I was told by several dealers that is is a known issue that effect a limited number of cars and it depends on your relationship with the dealer and there relationship with Acura. I have a good dealer and did not have to push much. The cost is about 2000.00 to repair correctly. My car color is Blue and found Out that iit seemed to be the Blue cars effected by this defect.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:37 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
resurrecting an old thread. MDX warranty has been extended to 8 years for paint because of the same issue on diamond pearl white.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:36 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Same for 2015 TLX's in Blue (Obsidian and Fathom). 8 year warranty. TSB issued 8/2019 and posted in TSB section
Old 10-17-2019, 11:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In September 2017, with only 53K km (33K mi), I have had the similar peeling paint issue on my '15 TLX V6. Back then, paint was peeling off the rear right window frame. I brought this issue to the dealer and they scheduled an appointment to get it repainted at an external body repair shop. This was done under warranty.

Two (2) years later, in September 2019, I found out in the same week that Acura (Honda) had posted a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) # 19-033 regarding this exact here above mentioned issue. TSB precises:
"This warranty extension only applies to 2015 TLX vehicles painted B-588P Obsidian Blue Pearl or Fathom Blue Pearl.

The exterior paint around the rear glass may peel off. American Honda is extending the warranty on the paint of the affected vehicles to 8 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limit. This warranty extension does not apply to other paint issues like rock chips, scratches, bird droppings, sap, wraps, dents, collision damage, client-induced damage, etc.

Do an iN VIN status inquiry to see if the vehicle is eligible. American Honda will update this bulletin and the iN VIN status when this warranty extension on affected vehicles has expired.

This warranty extension only applies to factory-applied paint. "

Accordingly, I understand Acura will not honor warranty on the repair, since it's not a "factory-applied paint".

Still in September 2019, in fact it was the very next day that I found the TSB, with 75K km (47K mi), I found out that the paint issue is coming back and the paint is peeling AGAIN and, this time, ON MULTIPLE CAR PARTS.
  • Bottom left corner of the rear window
  • Left corner of the trunk lid
  • Front Right Fender
  • Front Left Fender
I went back to the dealer. Once again, I was told they would contact his body paint shop to get this fixed…. ….. …… it's been almost four (4) weeks and I yet haven't got any response back from anyone (repair shop, dealer, Acura, Honda).

FYI: This 2019 paint issue was discovered in September but may be dating before September, because I don't really use the TLX anymore; it's parked, waiting for Honda to make a move regarding the unfixed Vibrations (VCM/Torque Management issue) and Transmission (jerking, sluggish. etc.) issue, OR until the Court will hear my case. Also, I have a 7yr/200K kms extended warranty on this car.

I guess the questions remaining are:
  1. Will Acura/Honda fix this paint issue?
  2. Will Acura/Honda fix the repainted job that was made in 2017, or will my TLX not be covered under TSB 8 years extended warranty after they'll have the entire car repainted ?
  3. Will I buy another Acura/Honda product?

1. TLX '15 Blue paint peeling from fenders

Last edited by One4AL; 10-17-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:06 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by One4AL
In September 2017, with only 53K km (33K mi), I have had the similar peeling paint issue on my '15 TLX V6. Back then, paint was peeling off the rear right window frame. I brought this issue to the dealer and they scheduled an appointment to get it repainted at an external body repair shop. This was done under warranty.

Accordingly, I understand Acura will not honor warranty on the repair, since it's not a "factory-applied paint".
Yikes! So you're saying they won't repaint under warranty the area that was repainted - under warranty, two years ago, by a profession body shop of their choosing - because it wasn't factory-applied paint, despite quality issues and TSBs with this paint?? That's brutal and a lame excuse for customer service. Here's what I would do in your shoes: I would politely but firmly remind your service adviser about the previous repaint job, performed by a shop of their choosing, under warranty, because of the known issues with the factory paint. Presumably this 3rd party shop of professionals (such that Acura chose them) knew how to apply paint as well as the Acura plant. Using the same paint obviously resulted in the same peeling issue after two years. You could also ask the body shop what their warranty is and maybe write a statement on a letterhead saying this Acura paint is obviously defective to show your service adviser.

I can't believe you have to explain this. SMH.

Originally Posted by One4AL
Still in September 2019, in fact it was the very next day that I found the TSB, with 75K km (47K mi), I found out that the paint issue is coming back and the paint is peeling AGAIN and, this time, ON MULTIPLE CAR PARTS.
  • Bottom left corner of the rear window
  • Left corner of the trunk lid
  • Front Right Fender
  • Front Left Fender
I went back to the dealer. Once again, I was told they would contact his body paint shop to get this fixed…. ….. …… it's been almost four (4) weeks and I yet haven't got any response back from anyone (repair shop, dealer, Acura, Honda).
These are new peeling issues that were never repainted? So Acura will cover them? But they're arguing over covering the window frame? My God. So obviously ask what sort of warranty comes with 3rd party repainting of these parts. And seriously, after this pathetic excuse for customer service, I would see how your lawsuit plays out, trade this thing in before any of the peeling paint is visible and move forward with your life hating Acura.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:26 AM
Intermediate

When I first showed to the Acura dealer, I was told by Acura they would repaint it regardless what the TSB says, but so far, noone dared to contact me in 4 weeks since I declared this reoccurring issue. The TSB seems pretty clear to me : they don't do second jobs on the same spot, nor does it apply to the entire car. Ford had the same policy regarding a paint issue on my brother's Ford Escape; they never repainted a second time.

That said, I hope they'll soon fix it, as per said by Acura, to prevent further deterioration (winter are harsh in Montreal), or buy back the car at current value (which is what my lawyer and I proposed to Honda in a Court document). Once the car will belong to them, I won't care if they repaint it or sent it in for recycle. Remember that an original car paint is (read: should be) by far better than a repainted paint, and this is why car manufacturers don't apply warranty repaired job.

Look closely at your BLUE TLX's paint because, as I did, you may find paint issue elsewhere than only around the rear window.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:05 AM
1st Gear

I'm doing battle over peeling paint on my 2014 RDX. Dealer said Honda USA will "do me a favor" and cover 80%., If I had an MDX it be 100% I call BS. Drove my original paint '68 Mustang (83K original miles) over to the dealer yesterday to inquire if paint technology had changed much in the last 50 years? His jaw kind of dropped and he said, "you might have a point" We'll see.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:36 PM
8th Gear

Have the same issue on my 2015 TLX, Bellanova white, I've own the car for about 61 months.

I was told my warranty is out, since it's 4yr 50k miles. Dealership said they will forward the pictures to regional to see if they can do anything. I'll wait and see.

Last edited by RaiNt83; 11-11-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Paint peeling on Roof- 2015 TLX