Auto High Beam

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 02:46 AM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Auto High Beam

Hey Guys, I'm having issues enabling the Auto high beam function on my 2018 Hybrid. I've followed the exact steps listed on the owners manual & watched the YouTube tutorials but still have no luck.

I have the car in Park, low beam function on, set to auto function, I hold the high beam function (pulling towards me) for 30seconds and see the Auto high beam light blink once. Ive done this 10+ times and still have no luck. From the dealer the Auto high beam was enabled but somehow I have disabled it. Any tips would be great

Thanks
Old 09-21-2018, 05:34 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid so I am assuming they function pretty much the same.

My Observations:
  • Will not display the Icon or engage Auto High Beams unless it's almost completely dark, early dusk it will not show up
  • If you have anything mounted on your dashboard, such as Radar Detector, Dash Cam, etc, and the sensor gets reflections from that device it will turn off the Auto High Beam Icon.
    • I have had to relocate my Radar and Dash Cam to the right off the Rear view Mirror.
    • The sensor for the HB if your in front of your MDX and facing the Windshield is the bottom right side of the sensors/camera. (The big rectangular tunnel looking part)
      • Try not to locate anything directly underneath or toward the driver's side of the vehicle.
  • If you use your High Beams manually by using the "Flash to Pass" by pulling the turn signal switch toward you, it will alternate the Auto High Beam feature on and off.
  • I expect the issues you are having are in the first 2 bullets above.
Let us know what you find. This was one of the most annoying features I found to debug, but once I relocated things on my dash it works as intended and I have grown to allow it to do it's thing. Sometimes it seems to not turn off quickly enough for oncoming traffic but I rarely get flashed a reminder they are on, so I am trusting it more and more.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ddswv
I have a 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid so I am assuming they function pretty much the same.

My Observations:
  • Will not display the Icon or engage Auto High Beams unless it's almost completely dark, early dusk it will not show up
  • If you have anything mounted on your dashboard, such as Radar Detector, Dash Cam, etc, and the sensor gets reflections from that device it will turn off the Auto High Beam Icon.
    • I have had to relocate my Radar and Dash Cam to the right off the Rear view Mirror.
    • The sensor for the HB if your in front of your MDX and facing the Windshield is the bottom right side of the sensors/camera. (The big rectangular tunnel looking part)
      • Try not to locate anything directly underneath or toward the driver's side of the vehicle.
  • If you use your High Beams manually by using the "Flash to Pass" by pulling the turn signal switch toward you, it will alternate the Auto High Beam feature on and off.
  • I expect the issues you are having are in the first 2 bullets above.
Let us know what you find. This was one of the most annoying features I found to debug, but once I relocated things on my dash it works as intended and I have grown to allow it to do it's thing. Sometimes it seems to not turn off quickly enough for oncoming traffic but I rarely get flashed a reminder they are on, so I am trusting it more and more.
I have a dash cam and the Auto high beam has been functioning fine for the past 3 months. I'm stumped
Old 09-21-2018, 07:38 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Once you've enabled the auto high beam, wait until it is dark outside, then "flash" your highbeams once. Does the auto high beam indicator now illuminate on your dash?
Old 09-21-2018, 08:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by p07r0457
Once you've enabled the auto high beam, wait until it is dark outside, then "flash" your highbeams once. Does the auto high beam indicator now illuminate on your dash?
Tried that already, no luck. I will try it again tonight just in case
Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bmoua15
I have a dash cam and the Auto high beam has been functioning fine for the past 3 months. I'm stumped
When you retry this tonight, if it doesn't activate, then remove the Dash Cam from the Windshield, turn off the vehicle, and restart and see if it activates. If it does then watch and see if when you put the Dash Cam back up whether it interferes and shuts back off. A street light reflecting off your dash cam on the Windshield, or the Dash cam "Screen" reflecting off the Windshield can be enough to deactivate the Auto High Beams. When this was happening to me, I had to restart the vehicle before I could get it to re-activate. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
I actually don't use it as it does not turn off fast enough to my liking when I want it to so I don't blind oncoming traffic, as well as it is too sensitive and turns off when I do not want it to as it senses lights on private homes as other cars at times. If people have stone walls at the end of their driveways with lights on top of them, many times the car thinks those lights are another car and turns off the brights. Thus I don't use it. Bummer.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine used to work fine, then it stopped, probably because of the dash cam that's located under the rear view mirror on the left. I consider myself blessed because I never liked how it worked anyway. One of the worthless features, IMO.
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-24-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 05:07 AM
Racer

I removed my dash cam and still no luck. Im going to call Acura Monday.

On a brighter note I averaged 26mpg on a 6hr trip with 20% street/80% freeway at a traveling speed of 80-90mph. Im pretty impressed

Last edited by bmoua15; 09-29-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:08 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here. Just finished a 2200 mile trip, many times cruising at 80mph+ and this car averaged over 26mpg.....smooth as silk. Also pretty impressed!
Old 10-03-2018, 01:16 AM
Racer

To all whom will has the same question, some how tonight while driving and turning my high beams on & off. My Auto high beam function re-enabled. This is with my dash cam still in tact at the same location. I just finished a 1,000 mile trip so I'm not sure if that has any reasoning to it.