CarPlay Very Glitchy After Latest iOS Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021 | 07:02 PM
Racer

CarPlay Very Glitchy After Latest iOS Update

Updated to iOS 14.5.1 the other day. Ever since, CarPlay will load - stay up for a couple of minutes then quit. Head unit stops recognizing the connected device. Affects both USB ports also, so can't just use the phone to play tunes. Have to switch to Bluetooth, or shut off the car and reboot the head unit, which is way too big of a pain in the ass; although that HAS worked. Sigh. First world problems. Hopefully next update will resolve.
Old 05-07-2021 | 08:20 AM
Racer

An update: Forgot the other USB port is charge only. Anyway, the last few trips I tried waiting a few minutes into the trip to plug in the phone; rather than plugging it in immediately on start-up. This strategy has worked 3 times in a row.
Old 05-08-2021 | 06:46 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Flapjackura
rather than plugging it in immediately on start-up. This strategy has worked 3 times in a row.
Yeah, you have to wait about 24 sec for the system to fully boot up. That's why you shouldn't put the car in reverse or connect a phone until it's ready.
Old 05-09-2021 | 09:39 PM
Intermediate

I haven't ran into the issues you mentioned, but I've noticed with the latest update it takes longer for Carplay to connect(XS Max).
Old 05-11-2021 | 01:15 PM
Racer

And of course, on vacation this week in a rented 2020 Maxima - and Carplay pretty much working flawlessly. Factory audio system in the car sounds woeful, though. Nice V6 in the thing - and the CVT is very smooth and not too drone-y.
Old 06-09-2021 | 08:37 AM
Racer

Glitching continues - carplay will partially load - google map will come up but track forward and back controls don't work in music. Music will display in main screen but not in secondary. Runs for about two minutes - then crashes and fails to recognize there is anything connected to the USB port. Only way to solve is to completely reboot the head unit by turning off the car and restarting. A huge pain in the ass. Today I just switched to bluetooth and listened to tunes through that. The head unit is not going dark - it's just deciding it doesn't like the connection to the phone after a couple of minutes and kicks it out.
Old 06-09-2021 | 09:11 AM
Drifting

Did you wait the 24 seconds to see if it makes a difference? If you treat it like a PC on a cold boot, it might work better.
Old 06-09-2021 | 09:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ELIN
Did you wait the 24 seconds to see if it makes a difference? If you treat it like a PC on a cold boot, it might work better.
Yep - last 3 days in a row - each time it crashed after about 2 minutes. The first 2 times were brief crashes and it restarted on its own, but today it would not restart at all and I didn't have time to stop and restart the whole car. The system stops recognizing that there is anything connected to the port. This could be a symptom of the head unit wiring harness issue that is being reported, but I doubt it because the head unit is not going dark. I am guessing the port itself may be compromised in some way - but that does not make sense either - because a full reboot has solved the problem completely in the past. I am thinking of trying a heavier duty - higher quality USB cable.
Old 06-09-2021 | 10:00 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Only glitch I've had, is with Amazon Music; it doesn't shuffle, on numerous occasions
It seems that when you switch settings to Offline mode, the app works fine
I've been using the original IPhone cable; (as per Apple Store tech)
No problems
Old 06-09-2021 | 11:40 AM
Safety Car

At this point, RDX and TLX buyers should probably just straight up assume the infotainment system is going to be iffy to avoid being disappointed. I've had similar problems on 2 of the 3 RDX loaners I've received, whereas I've never had issues with Carplay in the many dozens of other cars I've used it in. Acura (and their apologists) can point their fingers at Apple all they want, but when it's only their cars that are having these problems, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out who's fault it really is.
Old 06-09-2021 | 03:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fiatlux
At this point, RDX and TLX buyers should probably just straight up assume the infotainment system is going to be iffy to avoid being disappointed. I've had similar problems on 2 of the 3 RDX loaners I've received, whereas I've never had issues with Carplay in the many dozens of other cars I've used it in. Acura (and their apologists) can point their fingers at Apple all they want, but when it's only their cars that are having these problems, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out who's fault it really is.
I apologize for no one! LOL. The last time I had these issues with Apple C/P it was, guess what? A Honda Accord. I knew what I was likely getting into going back to Honda-land. I made a run over to Target anyway today and bought an Anker USB cable. Heavier duty than the one I was using. Apple C/P - of course - worked flawlessly both ways, using old cable to, and new cable from. It's definitely a Gremlin for Honda/Acura. I fully expect this solution to possibly mitigate, but not solve the problem. The Lexus UX250H I had for a year previously had exactly one Apple C/P glitch occur the entire time. But that was no consolation for the crappy 6 speaker factory audio system and driving dynamics of a canal boat.
Old 06-10-2021 | 08:06 AM
Racer

So now 3 drives in a row with Anker PowerLine+ II USB cable and no Apple C/P issues. I am guardedly optimistic. Still - Honda/Acura infotainment in 2021 just simply should not be this sensitive to USB cabling. The Lexus worked fine all but one time - with the same older/lesser heavy-duty USB cable throughout the time I owned the car.
Old 06-16-2021 | 01:57 AM
Instructor

Mine has had an issue since I got it when I remote start my car, none of the USB ports recognize a device is plugged in. It will charge my phone in both but APC won’t load and the other one when I switch the source to audio USB won’t play music either. With 14.6 I’m noticing I can’t “scrub” through the music like I used to if i wanted to go back really fast or forward. I’ve tried numerous cables as well. It also likes to crash a lot and make loud buzzing noises while music plays and it cuts out the music then comes back on.
Old 06-17-2021 | 07:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mikey319
Mine has had an issue since I got it when I remote start my car, none of the USB ports recognize a device is plugged in. It will charge my phone in both but APC won’t load and the other one when I switch the source to audio USB won’t play music either. With 14.6 I’m noticing I can’t “scrub” through the music like I used to if i wanted to go back really fast or forward. I’ve tried numerous cables as well. It also likes to crash a lot and make loud buzzing noises while music plays and it cuts out the music then comes back on.
There has been talk of a possible wiring harness issue with the head unit. My head unit was not crashing out entirely, so I have been lucky. The USB cable I mentioned above - so far - has helped apple C/P to work flawlessly.
The following users liked this post:
Mikey319 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-17-2021 | 09:18 AM
Advanced

My wife had been having a ton of issues with carplay disconnecting and other glitches. We tried a few dealer trips, head unit resets, and multiple cables, both apple OEM and aftermarket. Nothing helped her, we eventually did a factory reset on her Iphone and it has been working flawlessly since, at least 6 months. I would like to add this is a 19 RDX, not a TLX.

Last edited by mikedub88; 06-17-2021 at 09:19 AM. Reason: add info
ELIN (06-17-2021)
Old 06-21-2021 | 08:52 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Saturday night, the problems started; coming out of a restaurant, the Apple Carplay, & USB stick were COMPLETELY unresponsive; tried 2 different cables, & restarting the IPhoneXR; zilch! Sunday morning, I deleted the IPhone, from the Infotainment center, & deleted CarPlay on my IPhone; VOILA! After reinstalling the phone & carplay, everything is back to normal; hopefully, for the immediate future, as well; saved a trip to the nitwits at the dealer; yay me! BTW: the USB music is back as well. BTW: the Wiring Harness issue was overlooked by my dealer; said there's no TSB; where there's smoke, there's fire
The following 2 users liked this post by CPR:
ELIN (06-21-2021), Mikey319 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021 | 10:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flapjackura
There has been talk of a possible wiring harness issue with the head unit. My head unit was not crashing out entirely, so I have been lucky. The USB cable I mentioned above - so far - has helped apple C/P to work flawlessly.
I heard from a service advisor The other day that Acura is aware of an Apple car play issue and are working on an update supposedly. This morning I couldn’t use Apple car play because I did not have the opportunity to reset my car, so I dealt with Bluetooth audio for the drive. It’s very annoying. My system has crashed multiple times and it reboots itself. Apple car play also crashes and becomes unresponsive and I need to unplug the device multiple times and plug it back in to get it to work. It happened on multiple devices and MY device works fine with APC in other vehicles, so I know 100% it’s Acura that’s having the issue.
Old 06-23-2021 | 08:00 AM
Racer

I continue to not have any new issues since I started using this: https://us.anker.com/products/a8453
Mikey319 (06-27-2021)
Old 03-01-2022 | 08:16 PM
7th Gear

Using an original Apple cable, IPHONE cuts off randomly with CarPlay.