Acura TLX 2021: 2.0L TGDI (K20C6) Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 16 Posts
Acura TLX 2021: 2.0L TGDI (K20C6) Oil Catch Can

Out of curiosity how many folks are running with oil catch can (OCC) on the 2nd Gen TLX? If you do have one, share a picture of your setup, and also for reference how much condensate you've been catching, question came up on another thread, but didn't want to de-rail.

The most convenient spot I found was to mount it directly aft, on the cross brace between the shock towers, 74190-TGV-A00 Bar, Front, #19, using some spare 1" electrical cable clamps, and just some machine screws to tie into the OCC backing plate. It just so happens to be close to the 80331-TGV-A01, heat exchanger hanger line too, so for added efficiency for cooling exhaust vapors to generate condensate if your running the A/C concurrently. And for tubing and hardware, I used spare OEM PVC tubing (17131-6B2-A00) and hose clamps (95002-41250-04 Tube Clamp (D12.5)).

Although it's easier to access the PCV hose clamp from the intake manifold side, I couldn't remove it despite the hose clamp off, the barb OD or tube ID so tight I thought I would tear it, so I opted to disconnected from the rear of the engine head cover, and route that to the outlet side of the OCC. The downside of doing this it's harder to access the clamp. I found I had to loosen the wire harness on top of the engine cover, by removing one of the cover bolts on the corner, to get my needle nose pliers in. And then route a new tube from the exit barb on the engine to the inlet on the OCC. To make draining easier, I also installed a ball valve on the bottom of the can. And at the moment, I didn't place an check valve/back flow adapter, as it would seem, placing it typically on the intake stake, would prevent the OEM PCV valve from working properly under boost pressure. Though curiously OCC manufacturer Mishimoto recommends it.

For reference, here's OEM parts again for those wanting to use stock tubing/hardware on their OCC.95002-41250-04 Tube Clamp (D12.5), #8

17131-6B2-A00 Pcv Tube, #2

Also since the K20C series engine been out for awhile, Accord and RDX, here two other threads that show noteworthy levels, and would be nice to have dedicated thread for the 2nd Gen TLX as well.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...-974408/page3/

https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/.../#post-6739889

And as for the check valve/back flow adapter location on a OCC, the reason I decided not to install it was based on the only research I found on the 1.5L.
https://www.maperformance.com/blogs/...d-observations

I'm guessing the K20C engine cover has the same baffle arrangement, see diagram below for the PCV valve placement (17130-RPY-G01, item 7), but with what I, and others are catching would appear not as efficient. Would also seem to be the breather valve to the turbo is blowing the wrong direction in the images above, otherwise you'll get fouling on the intercooler pre-turbo.

Also, while I had the car up, I was looking at the propeller shaft joint design, at the transmission and found the fill plug for the TF case, going to be fun when that's due. I have to say for anyone that performs DIY maintenance, the space around the engine bay is gracious, so much elbow room. But with the more pronounced over hang, installing the OCC which took less than 30 minutes, my back muscles were definitely hurting.