2023 TLX Type S Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 11:50 AM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 TLX Type S Upgrades

Hey all,

23 TLX Type S here, looking to mod my baby out.

First mod I’m thinking is the intake I’ve seen very mixed reviews and wanted to get more opinions before I went for anything. Currently the only options I am aware of are HPS and PRL, I know they’ll give a very minimal performance boost but I’m honestly wanting this upgrade more for the sound as well as in hopes of ktuning when it finally comes out. I’d appreciate all opinions/guidance as well as any other mods you guys would recommend. Thanks !
Old 05-14-2024, 01:18 PM
10th Gear

Also forgot am interested in a downpipe as well if anyone has had any recommendations for that as well.
Old 05-14-2024, 05:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
There isn’t an overwhelming amount of aftermarket support for this platform as you may be aware of.

I made my own intake because none were available when I first got my car. it’s purely for sound but it does sound amazing. Even better with the Boomba bpv but it’s expensive for what it is.

As for a tune there are 2 options but since you are a 2023 you are left with only the jb4 option which I also have but is not great. It is not without some issues that just don’t seem to go away no matter how much tweaking you can do.

As for a down pipe you have 3 options. I went the IMR option BUT it has been 3 months and I still don’t have it and communication just plain sucks.

For lowering you have Tein Eibach and Swift. I went with Tein and is a great option. Ride is still very comfortable and it gets rid of some ugly wheel gap.

I went with ATLP for a secondary cat delete and increases the volume of the exhaust enough for most people but I still want more that’s why I want a down pipe.

Any other mods I can’t speak to. Hope this helps you.
The following users liked this post:
slowlyspeeding13 (05-15-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 06:21 PM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
I'll throw a +1 on the ATLP secondary cat delete. I know KTuner isn't an option for a '23, but those have been my two favorite mods so far.
slowlyspeeding13 (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 09:24 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MytypeisS
There isn’t an overwhelming amount of aftermarket support for this platform as you may be aware of.

I made my own intake because none were available when I first got my car. it’s purely for sound but it does sound amazing. Even better with the Boomba bpv but it’s expensive for what it is.

As for a tune there are 2 options but since you are a 2023 you are left with only the jb4 option which I also have but is not great. It is not without some issues that just don’t seem to go away no matter how much tweaking you can do.

As for a down pipe you have 3 options. I went the IMR option BUT it has been 3 months and I still don’t have it and communication just plain sucks.

For lowering you have Tein Eibach and Swift. I went with Tein and is a great option. Ride is still very comfortable and it gets rid of some ugly wheel gap.

I went with ATLP for a secondary cat delete and increases the volume of the exhaust enough for most people but I still want more that’s why I want a down pipe.

Any other mods I can’t speak to. Hope this helps you.
First off I really appreciate the level of detail thank you for that. Honestly I was never even considering springs do you find this makes a big difference for you, even now with no lowering I live in constant fear of scraping something.

As for jb4 I’ve seen very mixed reviews and I’m deciding to stay away from that, hoping ktuner comes out soon. Was going to email them or something but I assumed they’ve already been bombarded by people asking so that paired with my warranty still remaining I’ve decided to just wait for tuning all together.

I will look more into the intake as I’ve heard and seen it does add some nice sound. I’ve heard the boomba and don’t know why I just don’t really seem to like it maybe I’ll have to try it out and hear in person to truly see how I feel about it. Def want the downpipe as well hopefully yours comes soon, Thanks again!
MarcoTLX (05-20-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 11:39 AM
Family Hauler

Received 159 Likes on 75 Posts
I have a 21 TLX-S and currently have the JB4 and downpipes. Initially I did full catless on both the primary and secondary downpipes, but then switched to a high-flow secondary downpipe primarily due to the smell from the emissions. In my younger days I didn’t mind this but this time around I couldn’t stand it.

The JB4 is good, but could be better. Myself and others seem to have a momentary cutout under full throttle when going from 2nd to 3rd gear. I’ve tried adjusting various settings but can’t get it resolved. Hopefully there’s a better solution from KTuner down the line that allows more tuning capabilities.
slowlyspeeding13 (05-29-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by slowlyspeeding13
First off I really appreciate the level of detail thank you for that. Honestly I was never even considering springs do you find this makes a big difference for you, even now with no lowering I live in constant fear of scraping something.

As for jb4 I’ve seen very mixed reviews and I’m deciding to stay away from that, hoping ktuner comes out soon. Was going to email them or something but I assumed they’ve already been bombarded by people asking so that paired with my warranty still remaining I’ve decided to just wait for tuning all together.

I will look more into the intake as I’ve heard and seen it does add some nice sound. I’ve heard the boomba and don’t know why I just don’t really seem to like it maybe I’ll have to try it out and hear in person to truly see how I feel about it. Def want the downpipe as well hopefully yours comes soon, Thanks again!
All good that’s what these forums should be about.

The springs I only did to clean up some wheel gap. Ride is amazingly comfortable. The part that I scrape sometimes is the air deflectors under the lip. No big deal that those get scuffed.

The boomba honestly is expensive and personally I like the sound of the stock bpv better. This changes the sound and makes it louder. Personal preference 💯.

As for the down pipe I ordered with one cat and ceramic coated.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Also forgot am interested in a downpipe as well if anyone has had any recommendations for that as well.
I went with the FW single cell DP. Removed the secondary
Old 05-20-2024, 09:05 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 333 Likes on 223 Posts

This is why I haven't lowered my Type-S yet that and the fact that I may get into something faster at the end of the year. But I do know I want an intake on my Type-S at the very least as the sound is amazing with an intake.

Won't be tuning the car since it is so limited anyway.

But yeah I recommend an intake definitely