Wireless Charger In 2021 TLX Does Not Work With iPhone 12

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 12:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Hope the charger is the least of your worries.

I had more serious ones that had me change out of the TLX w/a full year left on the lease.
I know, that’s my fear.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I posted this in a different thread as well (https://acurazine.com/forums/6g-tlx-.../#post16872144) but I'll add here too.

"FYI, just picked up our 2023 Type-S today and tested my iPhone 12 Pro, son’s iPhone 13 Pro Max, and wife’s iPhone 14 Pro Max on the wireless charger. All 3 began charging! Didn’t seem to be an issue."

Had the car a few weeks now and the wireless charging is still working fine for all 3 phones. However, I do generally end up using the wired CarPlay so don't really utilize the wireless charging much.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:28 AM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3
I posted this in a different thread as well (https://acurazine.com/forums/6g-tlx-.../#post16872144) but I'll add here too.

"FYI, just picked up our 2023 Type-S today and tested my iPhone 12 Pro, son’s iPhone 13 Pro Max, and wife’s iPhone 14 Pro Max on the wireless charger. All 3 began charging! Didn’t seem to be an issue."

Had the car a few weeks now and the wireless charging is still working fine for all 3 phones. However, I do generally end up using the wired CarPlay so don't really utilize the wireless charging much.
Were most of your positive results achieved when the car was stationary? The phone has been known to lose wireless charging connection when not perfectly aligned with the coils (which can happen during sudden movements of the car).
Old 03-08-2023, 11:21 AM
Intermediate

Were most of your positive results achieved when the car was stationary? The phone has been known to lose wireless charging connection when not perfectly aligned with the coils (which can happen during sudden movements of the car).
And further to that, Acura STILL expects us to plug in with a cable to use CarPlay?? Someone really needs to tell them about Bluetooth.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I tested them all while stationary, but I've also used the wireless charger while driving with all 3 and they worked fine. I did have to reposition a phone a couple times if I took a turn fairly quick or accelerated really hard, but that is normal for almost any car I've been in with wireless charging. Our Explorer ST has a wireless charger that also will stop charging if you slam on the brakes or take a turn quickly. I figure that is just one of the downsides to wireless charging in most cars. But in both our cars we generally keep the phones wired so we can use CarPlay.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 12:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hihopes
And further to that, Acura STILL expects us to plug in with a cable to use CarPlay?? Someone really needs to tell them about Bluetooth.
Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to handle CarPlay/AA. You need a combination of BT and WiFi like BMW does for their wireless CP/AA (BT for the initial handshake and WiFi to do the heavy lifting).
Old 03-08-2023, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to handle CarPlay/AA. You need a combination of BT and WiFi like BMW does for their wireless CP/AA (BT for the initial handshake and WiFi to do the heavy lifting).
I did not know that. I know someone with a Beemer and he said it’s wireless so I assumed that was pure Bluetooth.

But it can still be done without the need for a physical cable then?

Old 03-08-2023, 01:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hihopes
I did not know that. I know someone with a Beemer and he said it’s wireless so I assumed that was pure Bluetooth.

But it can still be done without the need for a physical cable then?
Wireless CP/AA has been around a while and no cable is needed (BMW has had this tech since the '17 model year).

The first Acura product w/wireless CP/AA was the redesigned '22 MDX. The next was the '22 MMC RDX. TLX missed the boat and will have to wait until at least the '24 model year by my estimation.
Old 04-15-2023, 09:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3
I tested them all while stationary, but I've also used the wireless charger while driving with all 3 and they worked fine. I did have to reposition a phone a couple times if I took a turn fairly quick or accelerated really hard, but that is normal for almost any car I've been in with wireless charging. Our Explorer ST has a wireless charger that also will stop charging if you slam on the brakes or take a turn quickly. I figure that is just one of the downsides to wireless charging in most cars. But in both our cars we generally keep the phones wired so we can use CarPlay.
Thats baffling to me.

If I place my iPhone 13 Pro or my girlfriends 12 Pro on the pad, even while stationary, it recognizes for a couple of seconds and disconnects almost immediately.

I am a bit tired of plugging my phone in when I could be using a wireless CarPlay adapter but I need that charging pad to work. It’s an iPhone which is something surely Acura tested. It’s not like we’re talking about Android phones which have so many different options that a miss could be possible. We’re talking about a phone with the coils in the same spot.

Not a major issue but the option should exist.

Edit: I just tested it while stationary and it seemed to hold a charge but the positioning has to be absolutely perfect. Prior to today even doing what I did today didn’t work well so I’m not sure if Apple or Acura updated something. Either way though, still not a better option than wired due to the easily disconnected charging.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 04-15-2023 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:52 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
Thats baffling to me.

If I place my iPhone 13 Pro or my girlfriends 12 Pro on the pad, even while stationary, it recognizes for a couple of seconds and disconnects almost immediately.

I am a bit tired of plugging my phone in when I could be using a wireless CarPlay adapter but I need that charging pad to work. It’s an iPhone which is something surely Acura tested. It’s not like we’re talking about Android phones which have so many different options that a miss could be possible. We’re talking about a phone with the coils in the same spot.

Not a major issue but the option should exist.

Edit: I just tested it while stationary and it seemed to hold a charge but the positioning has to be absolutely perfect. Prior to today even doing what I did today didn’t work well so I’m not sure if Apple or Acura updated something. Either way though, still not a better option than wired due to the easily disconnected charging.
I think the issue ultimately boils down to this:

1) Magsafe iPhones were released in late 2020.
2) The current TLX was introduced fall of 2020 and shares much of the same architecture in the current gen RDX that was introduced in 2018.
3) Most complaints come from users w/Magsafe phones and not so much from prior technology.

Just like the puddle lights, I don't expect Acura to address the wireless charger issue in the current gen. Acura and Apple can keep pointing fingers at each other but the true victims are the owners.

In my current car, I have a wireless charging tray that's pretty big but the phone doesn't slide around. Although it doesn't rapidly charge my iPhone 14 Pro, it does maintain a charge while CarPlay is in use (charging is considered neutral). As a bonus, placing the phone in the same tray also acts as my digital car key so I can start/stop the car w/o the keyfob on me.
The following users liked this post:
KrylonBlue (04-16-2023)