Winter Driving Beast!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 02:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Winter Driving Beast!

We are having a traditionally cold winter with well above average snowfall. Lots of slippery roads and blowing snow to deal with on the Canadian Prairie. However, I have thoroughly enjoyed driving my 2021 TLX ASpec throughout this winter. The weight, that is often bemoaned by those that believe off the line times is the most important aspect of a sporty vehicle, has been an added bonus this winter. Along with the SH-AWD and my Michelin X-Icers, this car has been a champ in staying glued to the road and performing exceptionally well, while keeping us safe. I trust others have had a similar experience for those of you that experience real winter. Anyhow, I have to fly and effing shovel yet again.....Then I look forward to some great music and errands through the yet again snowy streets of Winterpeg!
The following 8 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
bilirubin (02-19-2022), ELIN (02-20-2022), Furnace (02-22-2022), Legend2TL (02-20-2022), Mart (02-21-2022), norsairius (02-19-2022), Tony Pac (02-22-2022), WTF.Acura (02-19-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-19-2022, 03:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 540 Likes on 276 Posts
I have a Type S with the stock all seasons and it’s handled the snowy roads quite well. I haven’t invested in snow tires once in my life and it’s not going to happen with the Type S by the looks of it.
Old 02-19-2022, 04:07 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 364 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I have a Type S with the stock all seasons and it’s handled the snowy roads quite well. I haven’t invested in snow tires once in my life and it’s not going to happen with the Type S by the looks of it.
SH-AWD ftw!
Old 02-19-2022, 04:17 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Remember this.

No matter how good it is the factory suspension tuning and/or how advanced it is the rear-biased, sport-tuned, torque-vectoring SH-AWD system, it all comes down to the 4 small patches of tire rubber that come in contact with the roads.

In order to extract the maximum potential and to enjoy the maximum excitement to the fullness with your vehicle, always use the stickiest summer tire in the summer and the best snow tires in the winter.

The following 7 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
Camaro194 (02-19-2022), KrylonBlue (02-19-2022), Legend2TL (02-23-2022), mapleloaf (02-28-2022), MarcoTLX (02-19-2022), Mart (02-21-2022), norsairius (02-19-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-19-2022, 04:44 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Remember this.

No matter how good it is the factory suspension tuning and/or how advanced it is the rear-biased, sport-tuned, torque-vectoring SH-AWD system, it all comes down to the 4 small patches of tire rubber that come in contact with the roads.

In order to extract the maximum potential and to enjoy the maximum excitement to the fullness with your vehicle, always use the stickiest summer tire in the summer and the best snow tires in the winter.
Thats definitely a given.

I just don’t feel the need or desire to change tires based on season. I know that summer tires and winter tires would provide the best grip based on season.
The following 2 users liked this post by KrylonBlue:
Edward'TLS (02-20-2022), MarcoTLX (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 04:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
SH-AWD ftw!
This is true.

But once all four tires hit ice all bets are off no matter what tires or AWD system. 😉
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
SH-AWD in the TLX might be the best-performing AWD system I’ve used in the winter of any of my cars I’ve had. I’d say BMW’s xDrive comes pretty close and is actually better in some ways, but I’m impressed with this latest iteration of SH-AWD.

The OEM all seasons are mediocre, but SH-AWD does a good job compensating for their mediocrity any time I’m on the throttle.

I haven’t had much confidence in using the throttle to help push or steer a car through a corner in any of my other vehicles, but SH-AWD is the first system to make it seem easy to me.

That said, I agree: SH-AWD or any AWD system can only do so much. Nothing beats having proper winter tires on the car when it comes to being prepared for driving in the cold and snow.

Last edited by norsairius; 02-19-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by norsairius
SH-AWD in the TLX might be the best-performing AWD system I’ve used in the winter of any of my cars I’ve had. I’d say BMW’s xDrive comes pretty close and is actually better in some ways, but I’m impressed with this latest iteration of SH-AWD.

The OEM all seasons are mediocre, but SH-AWD does a good job compensating for their mediocrity any time I’m on the throttle.

I haven’t had much confidence in using the throttle to help push or steer a car through a corner in any of my other vehicles, but SH-AWD is the first system to make it seem easy to me.

That said, I agree: SH-AWD or any AWD system can only do so much. Nothing beats having proper winter tires on the car when it comes to being prepared for driving in the cold and snow.
Definitely not the greatest tires stock. But I’ve had no more issues with my Type S all seasons than I did on my 2019 ASPEC. So I’m okay with that.
norsairius (02-21-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 06:26 PM
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts
I have 2 sets of y spokes. Snow tires and awd paired together are night and day difference. Can’t compare to all seasons at all. Money well spent.
mapleloaf (02-28-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
This is true.

But once all four tires hit ice all bets are off no matter what tires or AWD system. 😉
shAWD for the win for sure (I sure wouldn't buy an Acura without it).

I guess our 2014-MDX (Tech Pkg., shAWD) anyways had at least on wheel on pavement, because it always did fine in rain, snow, and ice ... whatever.

And now, both our Audis have Quattro, so no problems there either. No snow here in Texas, yet this year. But last year ... I drove-around in the snow and ice in my new-A5 and it did fine (I even tried to push-it a bit and it never felt un-safe). And that was on the Summer-Tires it came with. Aren't new cars awesome ?
The following 2 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
mapleloaf (02-28-2022), norsairius (02-21-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 08:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
I have driven a lot of cars but no system is like Acura's SH-AWD! I think Acura isn't doing a great job promoting it. It's not one of the best, actually it's the BEST system out there.

Go drive BMW 330i X Drive and a TLX SH-AWD right after and then you will know the difference. I have done for hours and hands down. The SH-AWD is not a marketing gimmick but a true feature that many brands don't have it!
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
CPR (02-22-2022), mapleloaf (02-28-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I have driven a lot of cars but no system is like Acura's SH-AWD! I think Acura isn't doing a great job promoting it. It's not one of the best, actually it's the BEST system out there.

Go drive BMW 330i X Drive and a TLX SH-AWD right after and then you will know the difference. I have done for hours and hands down. The SH-AWD is not a marketing gimmick but a true feature that many brands don't have it!
The last time I drove a BMW with xDrive was 2018, so my recollection of how it performed isn't perfect. That said I've driven my 335i while a blizzard warning was in effect in at least 4-5" of snow (and climbing) to go pick up dinner and it performed flawlessly even though I was running all season tires. There were lots of stuck vehicles, but I on the other hand was out there poking along to grab some food and didn't even realize a blizzard warning was in effect until I turned on the radio.

From what I do remember, xDrive is more obvious when it does "kick in" in that there's more drivetrain/brake noise and lights on the dash for ABS/traction control, etc. that pop up. SH-AWD is far more transparent in that it works so seamlessly and I don't hear or feel anything (except changes in where the "push" is coming from) when it's working. I really like that about SH-AWD. The SH-AWD display on the dash is kinda neat to watch too.

I think the OEM tires on the TLX are an unfortunate choice on Acura's part because that's the only thing that reduces my confidence in the car's ability to handle inclement weather. However the car and its mediocre tires did well on some packed snow-covered gravel roads I drove on this past weekend though, so they're not the worst I've used.

All that said, I agree SH-AWD is probably one of the best-performing AWD systems out there (based on my experience) and Acura should do more to emphasize that. Though admittedly any AWD system will be perfectly fine for almost 10 out of 10 drivers out there on average driving on public roads in occasional bad weather. A good AWD system helps in some situations, but having good tires is still more important and helps in all situations.

Last edited by norsairius; 02-22-2022 at 09:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by norsairius:
mapleloaf (02-28-2022), Tony Pac (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 09:59 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Originally Posted by norsairius
The last time I drove a BMW with xDrive was 2018, so my recollection of how it performed isn't perfect. That said I've driven my 335i while a blizzard warning was in effect in at least 4-5" of snow (and climbing) to go pick up dinner and it performed flawlessly even though I was running all season tires. There were lots of stuck vehicles, but I on the other hand was out there poking along to grab some food and didn't even realize a blizzard warning was in effect until I turned on the radio.

From what I do remember, xDrive is more obvious when it does "kick in" in that there's more drivetrain/brake noise and lights on the dash for ABS/traction control, etc. that pop up. SH-AWD is far more transparent in that it works so seamlessly and I don't hear or feel anything (except changes in where the "push" is coming from) when it's working. I really like that about SH-AWD. The SH-AWD display on the dash is kinda neat to watch too.

I think the OEM tires on the TLX are an unfortunate choice on Acura's part because that's the only thing that reduces my confidence in the car's ability to handle inclement weather. However the car and its mediocre tires did well on some packed snow-covered gravel roads I drove on this past weekend though, so they're not the worst I've used.

All that said, I agree SH-AWD is probably one of the best-performing AWD systems out there (based on my experience) and Acura should do more to emphasize that. Though admittedly any AWD system will be perfectly fine for almost 10 out of 10 drivers out there on average driving on public roads in occasional bad weather. A good AWD system helps in some situations, but having good tires is still more important and helps in all situations.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have driven 335 but not in winter.

As someone mentioned here, tires are also very important.
norsairius (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 11:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
This is my first AWD passenger car. We get snow coverage here maybe twice a year for a few days on the ground. Cars all have summer tires & none will get out of the driveway so will have to take your word for it. That said I am not sure if the car has the same AWD system as the 330/M340/430/M440.

Anyway will stick to the pickup as the general population here are very dangerous people on the road when it snows out. They have a very mistaken idea of what AWD is actually capable of.
Many I guess have never seen a 70 ton Main Battle Tank skidding totally out of control on snow.
The following 5 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
CoquiTSX (02-25-2022), KrylonBlue (02-22-2022), mapleloaf (02-28-2022), MarcoTLX (02-22-2022), Tony Pac (02-22-2022)