Wait times for Type S

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 11:47 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 333 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by richii0207
There’s no way to lock in the current price with your dealer?
I’m actually gonna ask, if so I’ll just lock in the price & have my deposit held and see if it can be locked in on a 2023.

Cause if my dealer is telling me summer of 2022, then half the year is gone already and 2023s should be hitting lots late fall to early-mid winter.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:24 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
I’m actually gonna ask, if so I’ll just lock in the price & have my deposit held and see if it can be locked in on a 2023.

Cause if my dealer is telling me summer of 2022, then half the year is gone already and 2023s should be hitting lots late fall to early-mid winter.
Unfortunately there is no sure way to lock in a price during this hectic time.

Some time back, a fellow member wanted to buy a new MDX. He put down a deposit and signed some paperwork locking down the final purchase price. But some months later, the dealership called telling him that his order has been canceled because Acura factory has stopped MDX production, and refunded his deposit.

I bet if the fellow member wanted to buy the MDX again, he would need to pay a much jacked-up final price.

The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (03-09-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 06:47 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
The Type-S is not the only one suffering delays.

The ship carrying the new M550i I ordered last September docked in Baltimore early this morning.

Some delays were self-inflicted. I special ordered different leather covering more surfaces and in a non-standard color, an available special order paint and and engraved dash. Approvals of my requests added about six weeks delay. Execution also required a side trip to the M Studio. It entered the production queue on December 10, started down the line Jan 12 and was handed over for carrier assignment on the 24th. It left the factory by train on Jan 27th and arrived in Bremerhaven on the 30th. It finally left Bremerhaven the morning of Feb.25th and arrived in Baltimore this morning, the 10th of March after a stop in Zeebrugge.

(My wife had to listen to Neil Diamond's "Coming to America" every time I checked the ships status enroute.)

Some delays were due to parts issues, and some transportation issues that seem to be a world-wide problem.

The final hurdle, after clearing customs and the normal post-voyage preparation, is availability and installation of two electronic modules that were not available when it went down the assembly line.

On the other hand, some more recent cars have suffered (and are suffering) shut downs of the assembly line(s) due to the war in Ukraine that cut off manufacture of wiring harnesses. At least I escaped that.

While it's not exactly the home stretch yet, hopefully it's not too much longer.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by mike03a3

The ship carrying the new M550i I ordered last September docked in Baltimore early this morning.

Some delays were self-inflicted. I special ordered different leather covering more surfaces and in a non-standard color, an available special order paint and and engraved dash. Approvals of my requests added about six weeks delay. Execution also required a side trip to the M Studio. It entered the production queue on December 10, started down the line Jan 12 and was handed over for carrier assignment on the 24th. It left the factory by train on Jan 27th and arrived in Bremerhaven on the 30th. It finally left Bremerhaven the morning of Feb.25th and arrived in Baltimore this morning, the 10th of March after a stop in Zeebrugge.

(My wife had to listen to Neil Diamond's "Coming to America" every time I checked the ships status enroute.)

Some delays were due to parts issues, and some transportation issues that seem to be a world-wide problem.

The final hurdle, after clearing customs and the normal post-voyage preparation, is availability and installation of two electronic modules that were not available when it went down the assembly line.

On the other hand, some more recent cars have suffered (and are suffering) shut downs of the assembly line(s) due to the war in Ukraine that cut off manufacture of wiring harnesses. At least I escaped that.

While it's not exactly the home stretch yet, hopefully it's not too much longer.
Happy to hear it finally made the voyage. Are the modules still missing or are they being installed from local stock? Mine sat for about 10 days at the port of entry in GA for the RAM module. I think they were on the same ship the car was on with every car getting a RAM installed here. On another note had my 1200 mile service today. Will get a Dragy run in Mexico as soon as the weather breaks.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:22 PM
Pro

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts

Yes unfortunately. A family member is nearing the one year mark waiting for their ordered Tesla.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes unfortunately. A family member is nearing the one year mark waiting for their ordered Tesla.
60 days on the wait list & 133 days from signing to driving. Bad as that was its only getting worse.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:06 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I received a text from the salesman today stating the build has started…expecting to have at the dealership by mid April….
Old 03-10-2022, 10:30 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

At least your BWM makes it to shore.

In mid-Feb, a transport boat, carrying 4,000 Audi, Bentley, Porsche, and Lamborghini, caught fire in the Atlantic Ocean, and eventually sank. Imagine having to wait all over again after been waiting for already six months.
BEAR-AvHistory (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 10:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
At least your BWM makes it to shore.

In mid-Feb, a transport boat, carrying 4,000 Audi, Bentley, Porsche, and Lamborghini, caught fire in the Atlantic Ocean, and eventually sank. Imagine having to wait all over again after been waiting for already six months.
Without taking this too far off topic a handful of those Porsches were the last cars of a very expensive $482,647 production run. Porsche said it will reopen the 911 GT2 RS line to replace them. Can't imagine how much that will cost or if the dealers will honor the deals. The last of the Lamborghini Aventadors were also on the ship. All these cars were pre-sold.
Edward'TLS (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 03:47 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Placed an order for a type S yesterday. Hoping 90 days of waiting is the high end.
Old 03-11-2022, 04:04 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Mpellicano
I placed my order in September (Tiger’s Eye, Orchis, and performance tires) and am still waiting. Latest date given was today, March 6th…getting to the point of either waiting for the 23s or looking elsewhere…..fingers crossed
I placed my order in August for Black/Black. Was told April back last month. Still waiting to hear if everything is on track. By the sounds of it, doesnt look like I will be getting my car any time soon.
Old 03-11-2022, 04:05 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Scott820
Placed an order for a type S yesterday. Hoping 90 days of waiting is the high end.
I am on 7 months of waiting for my order back in August last year.
Old 03-11-2022, 05:14 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by bigfatcannoli
I am on 7 months of waiting for my order back in August last year.
have you tried going to a different dealership?
Old 03-11-2022, 10:03 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Currently There’s about 8 used TLX Type-S cars nationwide however they’re all commanding an asking price over MSRP of a new one…

Last edited by MarcoTLX; 03-11-2022 at 10:09 PM.
Edward'TLS (03-12-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 11:08 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
Currently There’s about 8 used TLX Type-S cars nationwide however they’re all commanding an asking price over MSRP of a new one…
I can’t say that I’m surprised. The used car market, like the housing market, is insane right now. I’m looking to purchase a home and many are commanding $30K over list price and many aren’t even in that great of shape and need work. I saw one home that was said to need just “a little bit of TLC” but disclosures stated it had recent roof leaks and a flooded crawl space. 🤦‍♂️
MarcoTLX (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 06:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
FWIW may want to just wait for a 2023 model, as Acura may be throwing in free maintenance:

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/03/ac...eaked-doc/amp/
MarcoTLX (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 06:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I can’t say that I’m surprised. The used car market, like the housing market, is insane right now. I’m looking to purchase a home and many are commanding $30K over list price and many aren’t even in that great of shape and need work. I saw one home that was said to need just “a little bit of TLC” but disclosures stated it had recent roof leaks and a flooded crawl space. 🤦‍♂️
Yep and you have to be willing to waive the home inspection in most cases too. Too risky for me right now!
Old 03-12-2022, 06:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I’m afraid Bidenflation will only worsen over the next couple of years. In addition, the chip shortages will be much worse now that Ukraine’s neon plants have been closed. If we thought the chip shortages were bad now, wait until chip manufacturers are out of neon.

I feel sorry for those who’s out of a car and relies on transportation for work. First obstacle is finding a car, then finding it at a decent price, after all that they are hit with the gas prices. Lots of people are struggling to make ends meet nowadays. LGB.

Last edited by richii0207; 03-12-2022 at 07:04 AM.
MarcoTLX (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 08:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

I’m afraid Bidenflation will only worsen over the next couple of years. In addition, the chip shortages will be much worse now that Ukraine’s neon plants have been closed. If we thought the chip shortages were bad now, wait until chip manufacturers are out of neon.

I feel sorry for those who’s out of a car and relies on transportation for work. First obstacle is finding a car, then finding it at a decent price, after all that they are hit with the gas prices. Lots of people are struggling to make ends meet nowadays. LGB.
Ah I knew what side of the fence you were on, it's always so easy to tell RE: the chip shortages definitely possible but I think some other countries, including our own, may be picking up the slack sooner than later. But of course it will take time for that to make an impact.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:59 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Ah I knew what side of the fence you were on, it's always so easy to tell RE: the chip shortages definitely possible but I think some other countries, including our own, may be picking up the slack sooner than later. But of course it will take time for that to make an impact.
Because I spit facts? Today’s gas prices are more offense than some mean tweets. We’re all suffering, regardless of what side you are on, there is no denying that. Considering we aren’t doing anything to address oil shortages other than paying a dictator for their oil, I wouldn’t hold my breath for the US to magically come up with a solution for the upcoming chip shortage, shortage.
The following 5 users liked this post by richii0207:
a35tl (03-12-2022), BEAR-AvHistory (03-12-2022), ConradValmont (03-14-2022), MarcoTLX (03-12-2022), Scott820 (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 09:19 AM
9th Gear

Has anyone ordered a type S in the past six months and received it?
Old 03-12-2022, 09:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Because I spit facts? Today’s gas prices are more offense than some mean tweets. We’re all suffering, regardless of what side you are on, there is no denying that. Considering we aren’t doing anything to address oil shortages other than paying a dictator for their oil, I wouldn’t hold my breath for the US to magically come up with a solution for the upcoming chip shortage, shortage.
Right, facts...that somehow go against the rules of basic economics?

Private companies have shown that they can rise up quickly to capitalize on situations and I would not be surprised to see the same thing happen here.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:16 AM
Pro

Right, facts...that somehow go against the rules of basic economics?

Private companies have shown that they can rise up quickly to capitalize on situations and I would not be surprised to see the same thing happen here.
My statements are not against your “rules of basic economics”. Neon gas production is largely in Ukraine. Taiwan, a large producer of chips, relies on neon laser for chip production. You hinder one, the assembly down the line suffers. That’s basic production knowledge and is a fact, not an opinion…

Last edited by richii0207; 03-12-2022 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

The United States created the industry in World War Two and U.S. military scientists developed the most widely-used type of rare earth magnet,

Was a time the USA was a leading producer of rare earth minerals. Then the EPA shut them down. The only single active mine in the US is in CA. That looks to change due to its impact on the defense industry.

What is monumentally stupid is we currently bag the stuff from the mine & ship it to China to refine. Your government in action. Eleven scariest words in the English language. "I'm from the government and I am here to help you".

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-12-2022 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:12 PM
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott820
Has anyone ordered a type S in the past six months and received it?
Placed my order in October 2021 and was notified yesterday that build has been completed. Should be delivered by the end of March or early April. So about a 5-6 month wait when all is said and done.
The following 2 users liked this post by bilirubin:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-12-2022), Scott820 (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 04:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bilirubin
Placed my order in October 2021 and was notified yesterday that build has been completed. Should be delivered by the end of March or early April. So about a 5-6 month wait when all is said and done.
Found the worse part was knowing it was finally built & waiting for it to show up.
Old 03-13-2022, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

My statements are not against your “rules of basic economics”. Neon gas production is largely in Ukraine. Taiwan, a large producer of chips, relies on neon laser for chip production. You hinder one, the assembly down the line suffers. That’s basic production knowledge and is a fact, not an opinion…
I was referring to your "Bidenflation" comment, which does go against basic economics.

Back on topic: anyone else think that the TLX is going to take a major backseat now production-wise? Acura has a winner with the MDX, to a lesser extent the RDX, and now the Integra will be rolling out.
The following 2 users liked this post by ESHBG:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-14-2022), MarcoTLX (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 12:36 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
I was referring to your "Bidenflation" comment, which does go against basic economics.

Back on topic: anyone else think that the TLX is going to take a major backseat now production-wise? Acura has a winner with the MDX, to a lesser extent the RDX, and now the Integra will be rolling out.
I wouldn't say a major backseat, but I do think if the chip shortage continues to limit vehicle build that the TLX won't be prioritized. I see the Integra selling well. Kind of reminds me of the 3G TL in size and styling. If I was in the market for a new car I'd definitely take a hard look at the top of the line 6spd manual.
Old 03-13-2022, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
My dealership just received 3 new TLX’s (no type S) . They havent had any on the lot since november, so at least some kind ofTLX production is happening
Old 03-13-2022, 01:16 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,120 Likes on 2,559 Posts
If you wanna discuss politics please go over to Ramblings Religion and Politics and not in this forum.
The following 5 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
bilirubin (03-13-2022), Chargersix (03-14-2022), MarcoTLX (03-13-2022), norsairius (03-13-2022), wyliec2 (03-14-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
If you wanna discuss politics please go over to Ramblings Religion and Politics and not in this forum.
OK the shortage of chips may be the result of the shortage of rare earth minerals. We invented the industry starting with the production of rare earth magnets in the 1940's. We were once the largest producer of rare earth minerals & magnets. Then something happened. Right now we have only one mine left in the country extracting the ore but they are prohibited from refining it.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I ordered a TLX Type S on July 2 and thought I would have the car around September or October. I lost track of how many times the date was pushed out, but finally my dealer called this weekend and the car exists! It was built either Friday or Saturday morning, is "in transit", and should arrive in about 2 weeks. After waiting so long, I can't quite believe it! Apex Blue Pearl, red interior, and summer tires.
The following 7 users liked this post by mixly:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-14-2022), Camaro194 (03-13-2022), Honda430 (03-13-2022), JM2010 SH-AWD (03-16-2022), Legend2TL (03-14-2022), LinuxRacr (06-17-2022), Pens Fan (03-14-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-14-2022, 11:20 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by mixly
I ordered a TLX Type S on July 2 and thought I would have the car around September or October. I lost track of how many times the date was pushed out, but finally my dealer called this weekend and the car exists! It was built either Friday or Saturday morning, is "in transit", and should arrive in about 2 weeks. After waiting so long, I can't quite believe it! Apex Blue Pearl, red interior, and summer tires.
Congratulations!!!

Glad to see the logjam finally broke and some new Type-S will hit the streets. Post a couple of photos when you get it.
MarcoTLX (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Its back to common sense. Producers will produce the most profitable product (SUV) & divert scarce resources into those high margin products to get them out the door.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts
Still waiting on mine but if you go on the build Acura website about 15 on transit in the northeast region
Old 03-14-2022, 04:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,120 Likes on 2,559 Posts
Originally Posted by mixly
Congrats

Do post pics when it comes in, that is a really nice color combo!
Old 03-14-2022, 06:20 PM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Congrats

Do post pics when it comes in, that is a really nice color combo!
I concur
Old 03-16-2022, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Acura has not communicated with dealers about Type S’s and order models being marked up.

How are dealers handling new-vehicle pricing? Are they generally staying with sticker prices or adding market adjustments? What is Acura telling dealers about pricing and markups?

We have had really no conversation about that at all with Acura. At town hall meetings and calls, I have not heard that addressed for probably what are some obvious reasons.
(Automotive News)

Last edited by WTF.Acura; 03-16-2022 at 07:36 PM.
MarcoTLX (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 10:49 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WTF.Acura
Acura has not communicated with dealers about Type S’s and order models being marked up.

How are dealers handling new-vehicle pricing? Are they generally staying with sticker prices or adding market adjustments? What is Acura telling dealers about pricing and markups?

We have had really no conversation about that at all with Acura. At town hall meetings and calls, I have not heard that addressed for probably what are some obvious reasons.
(Automotive News)
as far as I know some Acura dealers are sticking to MSRP and most are marking up with ADM. so basically gotta find the right dealer
Old 03-18-2022, 06:21 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well a bit of good news…and the the bad news…….My Type S arrives this upcoming week. I mentioned to the rep that I would have a bank check as our agreement was I would provide my own financing….I was advised that the dealer would not allow me to pay cash or provide my own financing and that I would have to go one of their three preferred lenders. I have secured a rate of 1.49%. I responded that I will not use their lenders unless my rate can be matched…. I know I have no position of leverage here and I do understand the car will sell days after(if) I walk away. Also, I do have the agreement in writing with an email the rep sent me. As my deal was secured in August, there was no markup and no financing stipulation. I understand the landscape for buyers has changed, but this one hurts…..any advice?

Appreciate your responses in advance.

ps…having no leverage sucks..

MP

Quick Reply: Wait times for Type S