UB7 2021 TLX Type S Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 08:47 PM
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
UB7 2021 TLX Type S Issues

I have a 2021 TLX Type S, with around 3300 miles. I was driving and when i changed drive modes to the individual mode, the horn went off blaring. I turned off the car and the horn was still sounding. So i waited until the horn turned off and then i tried to start the car, but the car did not want to start, it wouldn’t crank or pump anything. I waited a little longer and I used the remote start to start the car, which worked, but when it started the horn sounded again, it turned off when i opened the door. I managed to get home, but when I went back outside, it wouldn’t start again. My salesperson said there’s a known wiring issue, but I’m hoping to validate that.

Mod Edit: I deleted your other thread as it was essentially the same post but I’m going to paste the text from your other thread below as it was worded slightly differently.

-KrylonBlue

I have a 2021 Type S with 3300 miles. I was driving and changed my drive mode, when it changed, the horn sounded, blaring. I turned off the car hoping i could turn it back on and it would be ok, but when i turned it off, the horn was still going, and it wouldn’t turn back on, there wasn’t any cranking or pumping, nothing would happen when i’d try to start it. I waited until the horn turned off and I used the remote start to start the car, which worked. I was able to drive home, but I went back to try to start the car and it wouldn’t start again, the app, remote start, and the push start all didn’t work. The car wouldn’t turn over, no cranking, no pumping. When Id use the push start, it would just give a single beep and nothing would happen.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 01-15-2022 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 540 Likes on 276 Posts
Hello, welcome to AcuraZine!

I am sorry to hear about the issue you’re currently having with your Type S. I haven’t experienced any of that with mine but hopefully there is someone here who can chime in and assist you. As you mentioned above it may be a wiring issue but I’d definitely have the dealership take a look at the car as they’re your best bet in finding a solution.
The following users liked this post:
RandoBando (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 08:00 AM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by RandoBando
I have a 2021 TLX Type S, with around 3300 miles. I was driving and when i changed drive modes to the individual mode, the horn went off blaring. I turned off the car and the horn was still sounding. So i waited until the horn turned off and then i tried to start the car, but the car did not want to start, it wouldn’t crank or pump anything. I waited a little longer and I used the remote start to start the car, which worked, but when it started the horn sounded again, it turned off when i opened the door. I managed to get home, but when I went back outside, it wouldn’t start again. My salesperson said there’s a known wiring issue, but I’m hoping to validate that.

Mod Edit: I deleted your other thread as it was essentially the same post but I’m going to paste the text from your other thread below as it was worded slightly differently.

-KrylonBlue

Welcome! This is the first ive heard of anything close to that. The known wiring issue was for the infotainment on early cars where it would shut off the infotainment screen and create some crackling in the speakers, but ive never heard of nothing like this happeneing. That many random things happening makes you think ecu related, but why the horn? Good luck, and let ua know what they find!
KrylonBlue (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Sounds like the anti-theft system is being tripped. Something like that happened to me in England with a MB in the 1990's. The service truck had to disable the system till I could get the car into the shop. Was a crossed wire.
KrylonBlue (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 12:16 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
Hello, welcome to AcuraZine!

I am sorry to hear about the issue you’re currently having with your Type S. I haven’t experienced any of that with mine but hopefully there is someone here who can chime in and assist you. As you mentioned above it may be a wiring issue but I’d definitely have the dealership take a look at the car as they’re your best bet in finding a solution.
Thanks, I had to call Acura Roadside to have them tow my car to my dealership, so i have no car until dealerships open on monday, you would expect buying a new car meant not dealing with any problems like this, but i guess it’s par for the course. This is my first forum and i didn’t know how to post anything so i managed to post it twice so thanks for that🙏🏽
KrylonBlue (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 12:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Thanks, I had to call Acura Roadside to have them tow my car to my dealership, so i have no car until dealerships open on monday, you would expect buying a new car meant not dealing with any problems like this, but i guess it’s par for the course. This is my first forum and i didn’t know how to post anything so i managed to post it twice so thanks for that🙏🏽
No problem, it’s easier to have all of this conversation located in one area.

Also, yes, one would hope a new car meant not having issues. Get that loaner car while they fix your car for sure.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:40 PM
9th Gear

No problem, it’s easier to have all of this conversation located in one area.

Also, yes, one would hope a new car meant not having issues. Get that loaner car while they fix your car for sure.
I have the apex blue too, it’s the best color🥶🥶🚙
KrylonBlue (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 12:41 PM
9th Gear

I have the apex blue too, it’s the best color🥶🥶🚙

The following 3 users liked this post by RandoBando:
KrylonBlue (01-16-2022), MarcoTLX (01-16-2022), one4all (01-23-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 12:55 PM
AZ Community Team

This was after I got it back from being rear ended (9 day old car was hit by an uninsured drunk). Took this photo a month or so later after it was ceramic coated and paint protection film applied.

I have the side and rear skirts installed.

I love my red interior.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 01-16-2022 at 12:57 PM.
RandoBando (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 12:59 PM
9th Gear

This was after I got it back from being rear ended (9 day old car was hit by an uninsured drunk). Took this photo a month or so later after it was ceramic coated and paint protection film applied.

I have the side and rear skirts installed.

I love my red interior.

SHEEESHHH we got the same car bro, blue on red, sorry to hear some drunk messed you up, i remember the day i took delivery of the car, someone came into my driveway and scratched the rear driver side door. I love the wheels tho🥶
Old 01-16-2022, 01:05 PM
AZ Community Team

SHEEESHHH we got the same car bro, blue on red, sorry to hear some drunk messed you up, i remember the day i took delivery of the car, someone came into my driveway and scratched the rear driver side door. I love the wheels tho🥶
Yeah, I was 10 seconds from turning into my neighborhood. The cars in front of me were driving 45mph or so in a 25mph zone which is located in a school zone and police tend to sit there. I was doing 25mph and she just accelerated until she rammed me. If I would have followed and drove dangerously like the rest I’d have been okay. 😔

I was pissed off. Only had 224 miles on the odometer at the time.
RandoBando (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 02:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Sounds like the anti-theft system is being tripped. Something like that happened to me in England with a MB in the 1990's. The service truck had to disable the system till I could get the car into the shop. Was a crossed wire.
This was my guess also since the car became immobilized.

OP, sorry to hear about the issue, nothing worse than paying big $ for a car to have dumb stuff happen. There's been some strange issues with the new RDXs and MDXs too unfortunately but I haven't seen anything like this yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by ESHBG:
BEAR-AvHistory (01-16-2022), KrylonBlue (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 02:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
Man there is just something about Apex Blue exterior with red interior & performance wheels.
The following 4 users liked this post by All_PSI89:
KrylonBlue (01-16-2022), MarcoTLX (01-16-2022), Midnight Mystery (01-17-2022), RandoBando (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 03:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by All_PSI89
Man there is just something about Apex Blue exterior with red interior & performance wheels.
Spiderman, spider-man, does whatever a spider can.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
KrylonBlue (01-16-2022), MarcoTLX (01-16-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 03:32 PM
9th Gear

Update on my Breakdown

So when the service techs went to check what was wrong with my car, it started up right away, no problems whatsoever, they ran an inspection and found nothing. The supervisor told me on the phone that my car was probably left in accessory mode when i did my tints and that drained the battery. But if that was the case then when the tow truck guys tried to jumpstart my car it would’ve started. Prognosis: if it happens again, call another tow truck🧐
Old 01-18-2022, 07:28 PM
Family Hauler

Received 164 Likes on 78 Posts
I had a very similar issue happen to me when I had my windows tinted. After I picked up my car, as I began to drive off, my horn went off and wouldn’t turn off. I was confused by what was going on and I quickly pulled over and turned off my car. I checked the horn on my steering wheel to ensure it wasn’t stuck and then turned on the ignition; after noticing everything was normal, I turned on the car and drove off. I haven’t had that happen again and can only imagine some of the liquid used to apply the tint film, made it into a connector which in turn caused the horn circuit to be energized - my speculation but who knows.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:31 PM
Instructor

So when the service techs went to check what was wrong with my car, it started up right away, no problems whatsoever, they ran an inspection and found nothing. The supervisor told me on the phone that my car was probably left in accessory mode when i did my tints and that drained the battery. But if that was the case then when the tow truck guys tried to jumpstart my car it would’ve started. Prognosis: if it happens again, call another tow truck🧐
this does appear to be an issue that some people have had for some reason i remembered seeing a post on facebook about it but completely forgot about it until you added in the tinting bit. But heres a few posts…

seems to just happen then go away never to be seen again. A lot of people (myself included) have had tints done without any issue but every now and then something happens when tint is applied.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:02 PM
Family Hauler

Received 164 Likes on 78 Posts
Is the common variable, getting the front windshield tinted? I did and experienced the issue. @RandoBando did you get your front windshield tinted?
Old 01-18-2022, 10:51 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
If that is the case then I feel modern cars are too complicated for their own good.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by caLiTLX
Is the common variable, getting the front windshield tinted? I did and experienced the issue. @RandoBando did you get your front windshield tinted?
Some Acura vehicles were driving themselves out of the lane when the front windshield was tampered with (replaced) so maybe there's some electronics buried in there for this model?

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...coming-traffic
Old 01-19-2022, 10:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Some Acura vehicles were driving themselves out of the lane when the front windshield was tampered with (replaced) so maybe there's some electronics buried in there for this model?

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...coming-traffic
Sounds to me that the repair shop didn’t calibrate the system properly after installing the windshield. I wouldn’t even say this is an Acura specific problem either. I probably wouldn’t even notice this feature since I don’t even have Lane Keep Assist enabled.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:27 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by sombasol
this does appear to be an issue that some people have had for some reason i remembered seeing a post on facebook about it but completely forgot about it until you added in the tinting bit. But heres a few posts…

seems to just happen then go away never to be seen again. A lot of people (myself included) have had tints done without any issue but every now and then something happens when tint is applied.

Yo wtf, that’s not supposed to happen bro, when it happened to me i had just picked up my car from being tinted
Old 01-21-2022, 12:30 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by caLiTLX
yea, i did all my windows, including my windshields
Old 01-21-2022, 06:23 AM
Instructor

yea, i did all my windows, including my windshields
sounds like. We’ve found what it likely is. A lot of people have tinted with no issues but the majority of people wouldnt do the windshield, and there are a bunch of sensors behind the rear view mirror so it must be due to something needing to be recalibrated once they’ve been covered up by tint. Maybe disconnecting the battery once tinted before driving away would fix the issue, but who is going to know that in advance. acura would argue that you’ve modified the car so its your fault, but maybe it would be good for tint installers to know.
MarcoTLX (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this issue when I had my tints installed as well. Had only picked up the car 2 days prior before so was a bit panicked. It started up about an hour after trying to start it up. Jumpstarted it but the battery tested to be full. Somehow opening the trunk fixed the sensor and it started up with a keyless access warning. Took it to the dealer straight away and they reset the system. They knew it was tinted that morning and didn't say anything about it.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KraknG
I had this issue when I had my tints installed as well. Had only picked up the car 2 days prior before so was a bit panicked. It started up about an hour after trying to start it up. Jumpstarted it but the battery tested to be full. Somehow opening the trunk fixed the sensor and it started up with a keyless access warning. Took it to the dealer straight away and they reset the system. They knew it was tinted that morning and didn't say anything about it.
Did you have the front windshield done?
Old 01-22-2022, 04:06 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep.
Originally Posted by sombasol
Did you have the front windshield done?
Old 01-22-2022, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
During the tinting process, a lot of soapy water is used. If the electronics aren’t well insulated, it can cause issues … sounds like it’s the case here. Someone’s window regulator in their 3G RDX was shorted out after tinting theirs. Sounds like Acura could use some work in this department.
KraknG (01-23-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 09:35 PM
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts
For those with a tinted TLX, have you encountered halos around lights through the rear window? I haven’t experienced this on any previous tinted car and wasn’t sure if it’s a tint issue or from the slanted angle of the rear window.

It has been more than a month since getting the tints. The other tinted windows show no orange peel effect or halos.

Last edited by richii0207; 01-22-2022 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:11 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by richii0207
For those with a tinted TLX, have you encountered halos around lights through the rear window? I haven’t experienced this on any previous tinted car and wasn’t sure if it’s a tint issue or from the slanted angle of the rear window.

It has been more than a month since getting the tints. The other tinted windows show no orange peel effect or halos.
That might be a circumstance with the tints you used. I don’t know the brand of mine, but i have 35 on my front windshield, 15 on my windows, and 5 on the back. One thing my tint guy told me was when we put my cars information into his computer to cut the tints out, normally it would tell him to not use so much water, but with my car, nothing showed up.
richii0207 (01-23-2022)