Transmission hangs in neutral during full throttle with steering full lock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2023 | 10:37 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ELIN
I don't think traction control needs to be off. However, I would suggest keeping the engine start/stop active as that is how the reviewers tested it.

FWIW, I never turn off my engine start/stop and I had the transmission issue.
Alright I tried it again in 4 different combinations: Traction control on and off with Engine autostart-stop on and off. In all cases I still couldn't reproduce the issue. I've had my car for almost a year and tried to directly cause the issue to happen a couple dozen times this week, but still nothing wrong with the transmission. It shifts perfectly fine without any hint neutral hang.
The following users liked this post:
wizardjjr (03-05-2023)
Old 03-03-2023 | 11:24 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bilirubin
Alright I tried it again in 4 different combinations: Traction control on and off with Engine autostart-stop on and off. In all cases I still couldn't reproduce the issue. I've had my car for almost a year and tried to directly cause the issue to happen a couple dozen times this week, but still nothing wrong with the transmission. It shifts perfectly fine without any hint neutral hang.
Thanks for trying!

It may not be every car. I was just that lucky!
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2023 | 11:29 AM
Pro

Thanks for trying!

It may not be every car. I was just that lucky!
I’m convinced your car was the trial run for the assembly robots with all the issues you had, unless it was cursed. 👻
ELIN (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023 | 11:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by richii0207
I’m convinced your car was the trial run for the assembly robots with all the issues you had, unless it was cursed. 👻
I wouldn't doubt it. The car came out late Sep of 2020 and I picked it up in Oct!
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2023 | 11:44 AM
Racer

I don't think traction control needs to be off. However, I would suggest keeping the engine start/stop active as that is how the reviewers tested it.

FWIW, I never turn off my engine start/stop and I had the transmission issue.
Your posts are always informative so don't take this the wrong way, but this on-ramp and merge situation you've described sounds like it would be potentially fatally hazardous for anyone driving something like an older Toyota Prius which goes from 0 to 60 in about, seemingly, 9 and a half hours. It's amazing that an intersection's traffic management design could be so hazardous that a relatively much quicker car, such as the TLX, would struggle with it to an extent that would be dangerous. When I put my FWD TLX in sport mode, it goes like a stabbed rat from a standstill as well as from a rolling start - I don't think it's ever caused me to fear for my life in any kind of situation. Maybe there's turbo lag going on but it's never been enough to scare me.
Old 03-03-2023 | 11:55 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Flapjackura
Your posts are always informative so don't take this the wrong way, but this on-ramp and merge situation you've described sounds like it would be potentially fatally hazardous for anyone driving something like an older Toyota Prius which goes from 0 to 60 in about, seemingly, 9 and a half hours. It's amazing that an intersection's traffic management design could be so hazardous that a relatively much quicker car, such as the TLX, would struggle with it to an extent that would be dangerous. When I put my FWD TLX in sport mode, it goes like a stabbed rat from a standstill as well as from a rolling start - I don't think it's ever caused me to fear for my life in any kind of situation. Maybe there's turbo lag going on but it's never been enough to scare me.
Appreciate your post and remembering my contributions!

When I traded in the '21 TLX, I left quite a bit on the table to the tune of 1 year's worth of downpayment left on the lease (~$1200) and the overage miles from the prior MDX lease that got carried over. Due to getting the TLX closer to the beginning of the Pandemic, I was not even averaging 10k miles a year so I definitely paid for miles I never used!

Conservatively, it probably cost me at least $2000 total to switch out. That is how much my safety means to me! Not sure why I'm being made fun of because of safety reasons but there is no place for this, not even a forum!
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2023 | 12:55 PM
Racer

Appreciate your post and remembering my contributions!

When I traded in the '21 TLX, I left quite a bit on the table to the tune of 1 year's worth of downpayment left on the lease (~$1200) and the overage miles from the prior MDX lease that got carried over. Due to getting the TLX closer to the beginning of the Pandemic, I was not even averaging 10k miles a year so I definitely paid for miles I never used!

Conservatively, it probably cost me at least $2000 total to switch out. That is how much my safety means to me! Not sure why I'm being made fun of because of safety reasons but there is no place for this, not even a forum!
What's important is that the car made you feel unsafe, so you traded it. Which makes 100 percent sense. I think you would be open for ridicule that actually had merit if you had spent a lot of time on this forum talking about how unsafe the car was making you feel - but kept driving it anyway. In my book, you had a problem, and you did something to solve it - instead of just continuing to moan about the problem. Well done!
ELIN (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023 | 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Fiatlux said in another thread that he was only able to reproduce it for left turn. The reason is that the car stays in 2nd gear longer during the turning phase. Maybe you can try again - 2nd gear during turning and VSA light flashing in 2nd gear seem to be the key.
bilirubin (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023 | 01:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Fiatlux said in another thread that he was only able to reproduce it for left turn. The reason is that the car stays in 2nd gear longer during the turning phase. Maybe you can try again - 2nd gear during turning and VSA light flashing in 2nd gear seem to be the key.
This time around I tried it again with a left turn at full lock and full throttle, traction control on. Yet again, I still couldn't reproduce the transmission hang.
Old 08-28-2023 | 08:14 AM
Intermediate

2023 Type S, I've had something similar happen a few times when turning at full throttle, I don't hear the revs hang like it's in neutral but it seems to cut power and you move forward in your seat pretty abruptly. A bit unnerving when wanting to get out in front of traffic
Old 08-28-2023 | 09:40 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by richii0207
Originally Posted by BruceLandry1
2023 Type S, I've had something similar happen a few times when turning at full throttle, I don't hear the revs hang like it's in neutral but it seems to cut power and you move forward in your seat pretty abruptly. A bit unnerving when wanting to get out in front of traffic
I'm saddened to hear that even '23 models are susceptible to this issue. If this can't be fixed, I would seriously consider getting into a different car as I did (especially if you have kids). The TrueTouch was something I reluctantly tolerated but this is a safety issue that had me running for the hills!
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 08-30-2023 | 08:35 PM
Advanced

I'm saddened to hear that even '23 models are susceptible to this issue. If this can't be fixed, I would seriously consider getting into a different car as I did (especially if you have kids). The TrueTouch was something I reluctantly tolerated but this is a safety issue that had me running for the hills!
This seems to be a Type S specific issue. Unless thats the only trim your considering, then its not really an issue.
Old 08-31-2023 | 06:29 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by subiefanIL83
This seems to be a Type S specific issue. Unless thats the only trim your considering, then its not really an issue.
I can guarantee you it's not. What Mark was experiencing in the SG video is the same as what I experienced in my '21 TLX SHAWD A-Spec. My experience was well documented and I experienced a lot of unfair ridicule at the time.

Some poor sap out there has my car and may or may not chime into AZ one day...
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 08-31-2023 | 06:54 AM
mvl
Pro

SG has a long term MDX wrapup video where they speak about Acura's response to this concern, where Acura said it is a deliberate software shutoff to protect the transmission under stress.

I don't have a Type S so didn't pay too much attention to when this happens and how dangerous the shutoff is.
NBPDC505 (09-06-2023)
Old 08-31-2023 | 01:13 PM
Advanced

I can guarantee you it's not. What Mark was experiencing in the SG video is the same as what I experienced in my '21 TLX SHAWD A-Spec. My experience was well documented and I experienced a lot of unfair ridicule at the time.

Some poor sap out there has my car and may or may not chime into AZ one day...
Too bad you couldn't reach out to SG to have them help out with you. I can't say that I have experienced this issue in my RDX. No I'm not doing full throttle turns all the time, but no doubt some have been done without the issue you and SG described.
Old 08-31-2023 | 01:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by subiefanIL83
Too bad you couldn't reach out to SG to have them help out with you. I can't say that I have experienced this issue in my RDX. No I'm not doing full throttle turns all the time, but no doubt some have been done without the issue you and SG described.
I'm pretty sure you have done at least one of the following:

1) Made a left or right turn out of a parking lot w/fast oncoming traffic.

2) Made an entry onto a highway that had a short ramp and required a full stop followed by acceleration from an angle.

3) Stopped at a light and tried to make a turn as soon as the light turns green to beat oncoming traffic coming towards you.

Everyone one of those scenarios above was definitely rolling the dice. If Acura doesn't allow you to do this "on purpose", then why does every other car make let you?
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 08-31-2023 | 07:54 PM
Pro

2) Made an entry onto a highway that had a short ramp and required a full stop followed by acceleration from an angle.

3) Stopped at a light and tried to make a turn as soon as the light turns green to beat oncoming traffic coming towards you.

Everyone one of those scenarios above was definitely rolling the dice. If Acura doesn't allow you to do this "on purpose", then why does every other car make let you?
I've done all of the above (#3 multiple times) without reproducing that issue whatsoever.
Old 08-31-2023 | 08:09 PM
Drifting

I've done all of the above (#3 multiple times) without reproducing that issue whatsoever.
This is also well documented (thank you).

The issue is not reproduceable on every Acura and the reason why there is still quite a bit of skepticism.
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 08-31-2023 | 08:17 PM
Advanced

I haven't experienced #2 in my area, but the other ones I have and I have not had your issue. Clearly you experienced something, but it appears to be not so easily re-producible in different cars with the 2.0.
Old 09-05-2023 | 10:26 AM
I love Lamp...

OK, I haven't read this whole thread however I know about this issue. I have had it happen one time only. I was pulling out into traffic making a hard right when I realized the vehicle behind me was going significantly faster than the speed limit so mid tun I just wooded it and when it went to shift there was just no gear. Just revs. really weird. I smacked the flasher button but it found a gear after lifting for a second or so. Not a great situation. When you need to get a move on, you need to get a move on.
Old 09-05-2023 | 12:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bmccord
OK, I haven't read this whole thread however I know about this issue. I have had it happen one time only. I was pulling out into traffic making a hard right when I realized the vehicle behind me was going significantly faster than the speed limit so mid tun I just wooded it and when it went to shift there was just no gear. Just revs. really weird. I smacked the flasher button but it found a gear after lifting for a second or so. Not a great situation. When you need to get a move on, you need to get a move on.
Wow, you had time (and the presence of mind) to turn on the flashers. Usually when this happened to me, I was a split second away from a nasty T-bone!
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 09-05-2023 | 02:56 PM
Advanced

I've read this thread and I've not tried to recreate the issue, but as an outsider it sounds like 2 concurrent things: time dilation for the driver and (because of) the turbo lag from sitting at a stop at idle plus the 10 speed trying to hunt down several gears from the sudden stomping of the pedal. On a mass production car this should be a lot more repeatable. There's even argument about whether it's confined to the S.
Old 09-05-2023 | 03:34 PM
Instructor

I remember watching the SG video on this and tried it on my Type S multiple times and wasn't able to reproduce it. I hope if it's a real safety issue it's diagnosed and properly recalled someday for adjustments. Personally don't find myself ever going hard over left or right with wot, I've seen some shit and just wait for a safer turn. Would hate to have something like this happen during an emergency maneuver though.
Old 09-05-2023 | 04:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DubPK
I remember watching the SG video on this and tried it on my Type S multiple times and wasn't able to reproduce it. I hope if it's a real safety issue it's diagnosed and properly recalled someday for adjustments. Personally don't find myself ever going hard over left or right with wot, I've seen some shit and just wait for a safer turn. Would hate to have something like this happen during an emergency maneuver though.
That’s why I find Acura’s explanation full of sh1t! Seems to be a real problem for a handful of folks and not something that can be addressed by a recall.
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 09-14-2023 | 05:14 PM
1st Gear

That’s why I find Acura’s explanation full of sh1t! Seems to be a real problem for a handful of folks and not something that can be addressed by a recall.

I agree.

My type S is at 40k miles and it's happening to me every single time I floor it from 0-60 on a straight away.

If SG says Acura told them that it's software protecting the transmission then I must have a broken transmission that's getting worse by the day and they refuse to do anything about it. Dealer refuses to floor it from 0 to 60 as it's too dangerous for their mechanics to reproduce. Not even willing to drive to freeway on ramp to try 🤦
Old 10-04-2023 | 10:27 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tehpmd
I agree.

My type S is at 40k miles and it's happening to me every single time I floor it from 0-60 on a straight away.
That sounds pretty repeatable. GoPro or cell phone of several stops and starts should confirm it. What drive mode and transmission settings?
Old 10-06-2023 | 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tehpmd
I agree.

If SG says Acura told them that it's software protecting the transmission then I must have a broken transmission that's getting worse by the day and they refuse to do anything about it. Dealer refuses to floor it from 0 to 60 as it's too dangerous for their mechanics to reproduce. Not even willing to drive to freeway on ramp to try 🤦
Escalate to corporate. The "protection" (to me it seems more like VSA fighting with SH-AWD control logics) should not kick in in a straight line on dry pavements.
Old 12-21-2023 | 11:45 AM
Racer

Just had this happen to me when turning left from a stop. Stomped on the gas and as I entered the lane, car lost power. I immediately switched to the right lane where it regained power. I remembered the SG video where they mentioned the same thing so here we are.
Old 12-21-2023 | 07:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GunnerX
Just had this happen to me when turning left from a stop. Stomped on the gas and as I entered the lane, car lost power. I immediately switched to the right lane where it regained power. I remembered the SG video where they mentioned the same thing so here we are.
Do you have a Type-S or a non Type-S?

I’ve got an A-Spec that’s KTuned, and have made 90* turns at full throttle to where the back end would slide out, and haven’t had the transmission hesitation issue yet.
Old 12-22-2023 | 02:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ijm5012
Do you have a Type-S or a non Type-S?

I’ve got an A-Spec that’s KTuned, and have made 90* turns at full throttle to where the back end would slide out, and haven’t had the transmission hesitation issue yet.
I have a 22 Type-S.
Old 01-05-2024 | 12:05 PM
I love Lamp...

Just checking back in on this one. I'm really hoping Acura has a trans tune fix for this coming soon. I've had this happen a couple dozen times now. Both coming out of a turn and even just a straight line scoot. So strange. The most concerning however is the aspect of pulling out into traffic and realizing someone is speeding behind you and you have to get up to speed and it just falls on its face. Aside from that, could not be happier with the purchase. Only 6k miles in on my '23 Type S.
Old 01-05-2024 | 12:12 PM
Drifting

Honestly, I'm just waiting for whoever bought my car second hand to show up on AZ and confirm what I've been saying all along. Not sure where the skeptics are now but there are fewer and fewer of them as the TLX has already passed the midway point of the current generation!
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 01-08-2024 | 06:04 PM
Drifting

Honestly, I'm just waiting for whoever bought my car second hand to show up on AZ and confirm what I've been saying all along. Not sure where the skeptics are now but there are fewer and fewer of them as the TLX has already passed the midway point of the current generation!
Hold on to your dream buddy. Very few people care lol
The following 5 users liked this post by GhostTL09:
Baksju (01-12-2024), cwatt79 (01-09-2024), Legend2TL (01-09-2024), richii0207 (01-12-2024), sonyfever (01-09-2024)
Old 01-12-2024 | 06:53 AM
Professional Sh1tposter

Not sure where the skeptics are now but there are fewer and fewer of them as the TLX has already passed the midway point of the current generation!
maybe cause the car is great overall? Also, are you lurking Acura forums cuz you regret your bummer umm I mean bimmer purchase and wish you had your Acura back??
Old 01-12-2024 | 07:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Baksju
maybe cause the car is great overall? Also, are you lurking Acura forums cuz you regret your bummer umm I mean bimmer purchase and wish you had your Acura back??
I'm just seeing what other issues this gen TLX has as it finishes out the cycle. At least it won't have the spontaneous shattering rear windshield/moonroof of the current gen RDX, right....right?
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 01-12-2024 | 10:05 AM
Advanced

I'm just seeing what other issues this gen TLX has as it finishes out the cycle
You reported an issue on a 4cyl that was only ever attributed to the Type S. You keep posting about how it happened repeatedly, but you didn't think to document the issue somehow? I'm thinking maybe your particular car was just a lemon and you're trying to apply your experience across the entire model line.
Old 01-12-2024 | 12:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rabbit73
You reported an issue on a 4cyl that was only ever attributed to the Type S. You keep posting about how it happened repeatedly, but you didn't think to document the issue somehow? I'm thinking maybe your particular car was just a lemon and you're trying to apply your experience across the entire model line.
What makes you think I didn't document it? Below is a post from '22 and I mentioned well before that and definitely before the SG video:

Sure thing.

I pull up to the entrance on US 46 and come to a full stop due to a STOP sign (I've noticed there are way more STOP signs compared to YIELDS in NJ for whatever reason). As the entry ramp is typically at an awkward angle like 45 deg into traffic, I not only have to come up to full speed to enter 46, I have to angle back into the right most lane so that I don't accidentally enter the middle lane (see pic and remember the STOP sign is right where 46 meets the entry ramp). As I'm trying to enter the West-bound side of 46, I'm entering a portion where the drivers already on 46 are in a state of euphoria after having driven past the slowdown that is the 46/route 3 merger. In other words, they'll be making up for speed they lost and are typically zooming by at 60-80 mph. I get out of Normal/Comfort mode on the TLX by going into Sport mode. When I slam the throttle to the floor, there is a slight hesitation after a split second that makes me think "yup, I'm getting hit by oncoming traffic." I think we all agree that the 2.0 TLX has a bit of turbo lag. Eventually I got used to this hesitation, but going from 0-60 and trying to find an empty spot to join traffic has always been pretty dicey at intersections such as these.

Please let me know if this is descriptive enough to describe my issue. Note that the pictured entry ramp is considered "middle of the road" lengthwise. I've had shorter ramps that are only 1-2 car lengths again with a stupid STOP sign and similar angles.
As a matter of fact, norsairius corroborated a similar experience in the next post and he has a 4 cylinder!

Originally Posted by norsairius
I think I get what you're saying. The TLX will sometimes have massive hesitation when I roll up to a roundabout and then hit the throttle to go through. This happens in situations where I don't come to a complete stop and in the transition from slowing down to quickly needing to accelerate again. I've found it's due to clumsiness with the transmission and for what it's worth, I've experienced this hesitation in other cars (2018 Mazda CX-9 with a 6spd auto and 2019 VW GTI with a 7spd dual clutch auto come to mind).

The 10-speed in the TLX is better than I expected it would be, but it's still a weak spot in the powertrain/driving experience and not as responsive or snappy as the ZF 8-speed that BMW and so many others use. I think the ZF 8-speed is probably the best automatic on the market today barring maybe dual clutch transmissions that may make a difference for the track enthusiasts out there.
For the record, I never said this was an across the board problem. I definitely had a bad car in first model year of a new gen!
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 01-12-2024 | 12:26 PM
Advanced

What makes you think I didn't document it? Below is a post from '22 and I mentioned well before that and definitely before the SG video:
I meant something tangible. Like video. Telemetry. Some evidence other than a forum post that sounds exactly like turbo lag. The Type S issue had to do with sharp angle turns from a dead stop. You want a death trap? Chevy 1.4 ecotec. You can literally count seconds go by while it builds pressure and then torque steers like a squirrel on crack. GM should have issued a public apology to anyone who bought a car with that engineering failure.
Old 01-12-2024 | 12:51 PM
Drifting

I already said this was not across the board but I experienced it in my TLX. I know what turbo lag is because I can easily tell on WOT on a straightaway. Having the split second of "neutral" on a turn is why I got rid of the car. I've never experienced this before I got the TLX and not again since! Acura already told another customer w/the same issue that the transmission was coded to prevent "dangerous maneuvers" (i.e. don't look for relief from Acura corporate)!

What exactly do you stand to lose if I'm telling the truth? Just curious why one would get so worked up over another owner's experience. I got a bad car and I got rid of it!
FeelMyJoy (05-03-2024)
Old 01-12-2024 | 03:11 PM
Advanced

What exactly do you stand to lose if I'm telling the truth? Just curious why one would get so worked up over another owner's experience. I got a bad car and I got rid of it!
I'm not getting worked up and no one is calling you a liar. You had legitimate concerns about your safety and you got rid of the car. But you keep coming back trying to say this is a broad issue and that someone is going to die as a result of a chronic manufacturing defect. What you described keeps sounding like a power loss, not a loss of transmission engagement. Early in the post other people were trying to clarify that with you. Maybe you just had a lemon, not a canary in a coalmine. I'm just a new owner who came across this forum and reading up about potential issues.

Quick Reply: Transmission hangs in neutral during full throttle with steering full lock?