TLX Type S vs M340i. My initial impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 07:08 PM
9th Gear

Received 42 Likes on 3 Posts
TLX Type S vs M340i. My initial impressions.

Hi all,

I've been lurking in these forums for a while (since the Type S concept came out). Made one prior post about getting an M340i but finally got invited by the really awesome Acura sales guy I was dealing with to test drive their Type S. I don't have any regrets getting the M340i but the Type S was a cool experience. If anyone else is considering these cars, I hope this helps.

I will say that if you're buying the car, the Type S makes sense since it's about $25K Canadian less than my car (M Performance Edition). And about $10-15K less than a comparably equipped M340i. So you're essentially getting better than 330i performance for 330i money. I have to lease for work and if you're leasing (at least in Canada) it's an easy choice to get the M340i because BMWs lease programs + loyalty offers make leasing an $85K BMW the same as what was offered to me on a $60K Acura.

I've also included a photo of my car on my driveway since the first batch of photos were at the dealership and some of you doubted that I actually got the car No hate, it was a valid doubt based on the photos. I should have taken photos of the Type S I drove as well but I was too taken up in the moment to think of it.

I have a bit of free time while I'm catching a flight but I apologize in advance because I suck at responding to threads as my work schedule has been insane of late.

So here goes based on a short Type S drive:

Acura advantages:

- Presence. The size and overall look of the car is very aggressive and much better than photos convey. The aero kit is a must imho. Totally completes the look of the car especially in Apex Blue.

- Ventilated Seats. Not an option on my BMW and were a nice surprise on an especially hot day. I need this in my next car!

- ELS Audio. Definitely better than the HK on the 3 series. B&W is not an option on the 3 series so Acura hands down here. The clarity and richness of the audio seems to be on par with the B&O from Audi. Very well done.

- Value. As mentioned above if purchasing, it's a lot of car for ~$60K Canadian. The Genesis G70 3.3T and 330i would be the only other considerations for me. Test drove the IS350 and hated it (feels as ancient as its bones). The S4 steering was too light and suspension felt busy and C43 feels a bit dated as they kill off this generation but sounds so good with the performance exhaust.

- Headlights. The Jewel Eye headlights are better than the standard BMW LEDs but if you get the Laser Light option as I have, those are better but hella expensive.

- 20 inch wheels. Outside of the limited M Performance Edition, 20 inch wheels cannot be optioned on the M340i without going into the a la carte M Performance catalog ($$$). Acura offers 2, 20 inch wheels from the beginning.

- Long term predicted reliability. I guess no one has hard data on this yet but I'm guessing if you plan on keeping a car for 7-10 years, the Acura will be easier on your wallet.

Tie: Exhaust note. For the '21 M340i they made the exhaust weak and quiet compared to the '20. The Type S sounds better than the stock '21 M340i. However my M340i has a factory performance exhaust option which sounds much better. Here is a link if you'd like a listen:

https://youtu.be/WG--UdZI5l4

BMW advantages:

Performance: The M340i is noticeably quicker than the Type S, especially if you like to rev it out. If you hang out in the mid range most of the time, the difference is not as big. You notice the Type S has about a 4000 rpm area where it's effective. M340i also handles better and brakes better (with the track pack. I have not tried a non-track pack M340i).

Tech: This is a tough one because out of the box the TLX Type S has more tech but as you add options to the BMW you can get a lot of features that aren't available on the Acura (digital dash, built in dash cam, wireless Carplay and stupid but fun stuff like gesture control). I mentioned this in my previous post but I also hate how the ambient lighting is only for the front passengers in the TLX - it looks incomplete.

Wireless Charging - I know the TLX has it but it's so slow. Must be like 5 watts or something. My phone moved up 3% during my drive. BMW wireless charger charges noticeably quicker.

Interior - This could just be my preference but I prefer the clean, more minimalist aesthetic of the BMW. The Type S looks cool but a bit busy for me. The option of things like Merino seats and galvanic controls in the BMW make it feel special. As mentioned above, the BMW is very much a "pay to play" car. A lightly optioned M340i interior looks very plain.

Infotainment - Maybe it's just what I'm used to but iDrive is so much cleaner and quicker than the Acura system. I also don't like how you're always forced into split screen in the Acura. You can do split screen in the BMW but you can maximize it and have just a single large display (of the map for example) which is my preference most of the time.

Fuel Economy - I couldn't accurately gauge this on my brief drive but the M340i (especially the '21 with the mild hybrid system) has significantly better on paper fuel economy despite the performance advantage.

Short Term Maintenance - For lessees like me, this is a better bet. BMW includes 4 years of complimentary maintenance on things like oil changes, other fluids, filters etc.

Hope this helps and stay safe out there!
The following 25 users liked this post by Acuraaaw:
04WDPSeDaN (07-21-2021), a35tl (07-21-2021), anacreon (07-28-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-21-2021), BOWA41 (07-21-2021), Camaro194 (07-21-2021), dj5 (07-21-2021), ELIN (07-22-2021), F23A4 (09-07-2021), Furnace (07-23-2021), harpazo (07-21-2021), Honda430 (07-21-2021), jjsC5 (07-22-2021), KrylonBlue (07-23-2021), Legend2TL (07-22-2021), Nexx (07-21-2021), robnalex (07-24-2021), Shadow2056 (07-22-2021), silverTL6 (07-23-2021), someguy11 (07-22-2021), technocrat (07-27-2021), Tony Pac (07-22-2021), vhtran (07-22-2021), whiteGSR (07-21-2021), WTF.Acura (07-23-2021) and 20 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-21-2021, 09:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
You’re bold getting Frozen Black . It’s my favorite color but so hard to maintain and if you ever get some damage the entire car needs to be re painted and hardly anybody can do it right you’re probably looking at a $12,000 paint job. Love the Mperformance 20’s too.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kense:
Acuraaaw (07-26-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-22-2021), pyrodan007 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 10:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Nice write up. Your BMW is gorgeous!
The following 2 users liked this post by a35tl:
04WDPSeDaN (07-27-2021), Acuraaaw (07-26-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 08:42 AM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Thanks for your informative post!
The following users liked this post:
Acuraaaw (07-26-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 09:30 AM
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
You’re bold getting Frozen Black . It’s my favorite color but so hard to maintain and if you ever get some damage the entire car needs to be re painted and hardly anybody can do it right you’re probably looking at a $12,000 paint job. Love the Mperformance 20’s too.
@OP ... very nice car.

@Kense I am not familiar with the BMW colors offering, but when I look for the Xpel for my Q, there is a clear wrap that makes your car color become frosted. Saw one Blue X5M with that installed and it looks amazing. If any Type-S owner go for the clear wrap, one should look into the frosted clear.
The following 2 users liked this post by vhtran:
Acuraaaw (07-26-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 09:38 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraaaw
Hi all,

I've been lurking in these forums for a while (since the Type S concept came out). Made one prior post about getting an M340i but finally got invited by the really awesome Acura sales guy I was dealing with to test drive their Type S. I don't have any regrets getting the M340i but the Type S was a cool experience. If anyone else is considering these cars, I hope this helps.

I will say that if you're buying the car, the Type S makes sense since it's about $25K Canadian less than my car (M Performance Edition). And about $10-15K less than a comparably equipped M340i. So you're essentially getting better than 330i performance for 330i money. I have to lease for work and if you're leasing (at least in Canada) it's an easy choice to get the M340i because BMWs lease programs + loyalty offers make leasing an $85K BMW the same as what was offered to me on a $60K Acura.

I've also included a photo of my car on my driveway since the first batch of photos were at the dealership and some of you doubted that I actually got the car No hate, it was a valid doubt based on the photos. I should have taken photos of the Type S I drove as well but I was too taken up in the moment to think of it.

I have a bit of free time while I'm catching a flight but I apologize in advance because I suck at responding to threads as my work schedule has been insane of late.

Acura advantages:

- Presence. The size and overall look of the car is very aggressive and much better than photos convey. The aero kit is a must imho. Totally completes the look of the car especially in Apex Blue.

- Ventilated Seats. Not an option on my BMW and were a nice surprise on an especially hot day. I need this in my next car!

- ELS Audio. Definitely better than the HK on the 3 series. B&W is not an option on the 3 series so Acura hands down here. The clarity and richness of the audio seems to be on par with the B&O from Audi. Very well done.

- Value. As mentioned above if purchasing, it's a lot of car for ~$60K Canadian. The Genesis G70 3.3T and 330i would be the only other considerations for me. Test drove the IS350 and hated it (feels as ancient as its bones). The S4 steering was too light and suspension felt busy and C43 feels a bit dated as they kill off this generation but sounds so good with the performance exhaust.

- Headlights. The Jewel Eye headlights are better than the standard BMW LEDs but if you get the Laser Light option as I have, those are better but hella expensive.

- 20 inch wheels. Outside of the limited M Performance Edition, 20 inch wheels cannot be optioned on the M340i without going into the a la carte M Performance catalog ($$$). Acura offers 2, 20 inch wheels from the beginning.

- Long term predicted reliability. I guess no one has hard data on this yet but I'm guessing if you plan on keeping a car for 7-10 years, the Acura will be easier on your wallet.

Tie: Exhaust note. For the '21 M340i they made the exhaust weak and quiet compared to the '20. The Type S sounds better than the stock '21 M340i. However my M340i has a factory performance exhaust option which sounds much better. Here is a link if you'd like a listen:

BMW advantages:

Performance: The M340i is noticeably quicker than the Type S, especially if you like to rev it out. If you hang out in the mid range most of the time, the difference is not as big. You notice the Type S has about a 4000 rpm area where it's effective. M340i also handles better and brakes better (with the track pack. I have not tried a non-track pack M340i).

Tech: This is a tough one because out of the box the TLX Type S has more tech but as you add options to the BMW you can get a lot of features that aren't available on the Acura (digital dash, built in dash cam, wireless Carplay and stupid but fun stuff like gesture control). I mentioned this in my previous post but I also hate how the ambient lighting is only for the front passengers in the TLX - it looks incomplete.

Wireless Charging - I know the TLX has it but it's so slow. Must be like 5 watts or something. My phone moved up 3% during my drive. BMW wireless charger charges noticeably quicker.

Interior - This could just be my preference but I prefer the clean, more minimalist aesthetic of the BMW. The Type S looks cool but a bit busy for me. The option of things like Merino seats and galvanic controls in the BMW make it feel special. As mentioned above, the BMW is very much a "pay to play" car. A lightly optioned M340i interior looks very plain.

Infotainment - Maybe it's just what I'm used to but iDrive is so much cleaner and quicker than the Acura system. I also don't like how you're always forced into split screen in the Acura. You can do split screen in the BMW but you can maximize it and have just a single large display (of the map for example) which is my preference most of the time.

Fuel Economy - I couldn't accurately gauge this on my brief drive but the M340i (especially the '21 with the mild hybrid system) has significantly better on paper fuel economy despite the performance advantage.

Short Term Maintenance - For lessees like me, this is a better bet. BMW includes 4 years of complimentary maintenance on things like oil changes, other fluids, filters etc.

Nice car, drop a JB4 on it and run map 5 and give us a review then you will be blown away. mission performance unlocked the ECU but will be releasing in September. I'm still waiting for the dealer to call me to drive the Type S.
Acuraaaw (07-26-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 10:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Really nice car. Full Darth Vader mode one of my son-in-laws would love it, will send him a picture. Like the paint but am too chicken to try it myself.
Acuraaaw (07-26-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 11:00 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,588 Likes on 956 Posts
Hi all,

Acura advantages:

BMW advantages:

Definitely a beautiful car. Congrats on your purchase.
Thanks for your honest and great summary on both cars. Enjoy this beast, the color and those wheels are Excellent!
WTF.Acura (07-23-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 01:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 26 Posts
Hi all,

Acura advantages:

BMW advantages:

Thanks for the post. What most people seem to miss the point on the Type S is that for a reasonable price (the MSRP anyway), you get a great looking car that provides very good performance compared to the normal cars on the road. It looks great, drives great, sounds great and provides a good experience for anyone that buys it. When it comes to curb appeal and daily driving...it (and any TLX) is a great car. That said, if performance at the edge of the envelope is important or if you are leasing the car, it isn't a great car unless the looks really sell it for you. Your BMW is clearly a better choice in that respect.

Acura has FUBAR'd the marketing of this car and they clearly failed to understand that marketing hype is a major fail when your car is getting whipped by direct competition in drag races. The cynical part of me is wondering if Acura is holding back because they want to release a Type R in the near future.

I do agree with you that the iDrive is better than the Acura touchpad. I drove BMW's for 7 years and the iDrive is great. That said, once I got used to the touchpad, I prefer it over a touchscreen. I don't want to be staring at my fingerprints on the screen over time (or someone else's). I really don't understand the fascination with touch screen infotainment systems. My wife's CX-9 has one and I use the dial controller most of the time.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:01 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,530 Posts
Congrats on your M340i, that black is pretty stunning.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:03 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 293 Likes on 152 Posts
Thanks for the excellent post!.
I really love the paint, and admire your courage getting it.

I've been waiting years for Acura to come up with a replacement for my much loved '07 TL Type-S 6MT. I was so excited to finally see the new Type-S and get a chance to drive one. But then reality arrived. I really liked the look, and was surprised to see it was so big. It looked fabulous. But for all its size the back seat is disappointingly small. Yes, I know, it's just the back seat. But I doubt my granddaughter's car seat will fit, and my wife found it cramped compared to my TL.

I was also disappointed in it's performance. I'm not quibbling over tenths of a 0-60 time, but it simply doesn't feel much faster than my '07 Type-S. Perhaps the combination of low redline and a bit of turbo lag, maybe it's my 6MT, but given the much higher HP and 14 years of development I certainly expected better.

But the final blows came when trying to 'build' one. Silver - not available on Type-S. Ok, Blue then. Wait, caramel interior not available on Type-S. In fact, very few choices of Exterior/Interior. Checking standard equipment (other than tires there are no options other than dealer accessories). Well, it's the top of the Honda/Acura sedan world, it's loaded. Right? But wait! Where's the 360 surround camera? Where's the HUD? There are other things missing, but those two are on my current must have list.

So, I went to check out the BMWs for the first time. Never before driven one or been in a BMW dealership. I'm like a kid in a candy store.

Back in the dim mists of antiquity, before the dinosaurs died, I used to own a Speed Shop. I had a big sign over the counter "Speed Costs Money! How Fast Do You Want To Go?" That should be BMW's motto. I can have a Type-S size sedan with all the gadgets, luxury and horsepower my wallet can stand. 1,500 paint/interior combinations!!! (100 colors x 15 color/material choices!) The obsessive/compulsive side of me is drooling over the M550ix. Yes, it's thousands (tens of thousands) more than a Type-S with all the insane ADM. But the possibilities are endless!

Last edited by mike03a3; 07-22-2021 at 06:08 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by mike03a3:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-22-2021), CoquiTSX (07-26-2021), someguy11 (07-22-2021), vhtran (07-23-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 07:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mike03a3
Thanks for the excellent post!.
I really love the paint, and admire your courage getting it.

I've been waiting years for Acura to come up with a replacement for my much loved '07 TL Type-S 6MT. I was so excited to finally see the new Type-S and get a chance to drive one. But then reality arrived. I really liked the look, and was surprised to see it was so big. It looked fabulous. But for all its size the back seat is disappointingly small. Yes, I know, it's just the back seat. But I doubt my granddaughter's car seat will fit, and my wife found it cramped compared to my TL.

I was also disappointed in it's performance. I'm not quibbling over tenths of a 0-60 time, but it simply doesn't feel much faster than my '07 Type-S. Perhaps the combination of low redline and a bit of turbo lag, maybe it's my 6MT, but given the much higher HP and 14 years of development I certainly expected better.

But the final blows came when trying to 'build' one. Silver - not available on Type-S. Ok, Blue then. Wait, caramel interior not available on Type-S. In fact, very few choices of Exterior/Interior. Checking standard equipment (other than tires there are no options other than dealer accessories). Well, it's the top of the Honda/Acura sedan world, it's loaded. Right? But wait! Where's the 360 surround camera? Where's the HUD? There are other things missing, but those two are on my current must have list.

So, I went to check out the BMWs for the first time. Never before driven one or been in a BMW dealership. I'm like a kid in a candy store.

Back in the dim mists of antiquity, before the dinosaurs died, I used to own a Speed Shop. I had a big sign over the counter "Speed Costs Money! How Fast Do You Want To Go?" That should be BMW's motto. I can have a Type-S size sedan with all the gadgets, luxury and horsepower my wallet can stand. 1,500 paint/interior combinations!!! (100 colors x 15 color/material choices!) The obsessive/compulsive side of me is drooling over the M550ix. Yes, it's thousands (tens of thousands) more than a Type-S with all the insane ADM. But the possibilities are endless!
Not that it makes any difference, but the Advance's HUD system was pretty mediocre. The HUD in my wife's CX-9 is better but frankly, I don't miss it when I'm not driving it. I would like to have the 360 surround camera though. I picked the A-Spec because I felt that it provided the best external look and I really disliked the light wood trim in the Advance that I did drive. Acura should really look at putting out a Type S that comes with more of the Advanced features.
Acuraaaw (07-26-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 02:06 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 293 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlandtlx
Not that it makes any difference, but the Advance's HUD system was pretty mediocre. The HUD in my wife's CX-9 is better but frankly, I don't miss it when I'm not driving it. I would like to have the 360 surround camera though. I picked the A-Spec because I felt that it provided the best external look and I really disliked the light wood trim in the Advance that I did drive. Acura should really look at putting out a Type S that comes with more of the Advanced features.
If the advance package, or a version of it, was available, along with a better selection of paint and interior options, I might reconsider. We've had a variety of Honda/Acura vehicles since 1988, so they have pretty much been the default for myself, my wife and my daughter for 33 years. I really wanted a new Type-S, but Acura declined to build a suitable replacement.
Acuraaaw (07-26-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 09:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the write-up -- one of the more helpful pieces here. The M340i xDrive is the priciest model I'm actually considering against the Type S. It's just under $10k more than the Type S when optioned as I'd like, and I don't love that BMW means a lease, but there's no denying that the M340i is more car. Any thoughts on the relative practicality of the two for daily use? Do you actually find yourself using the power advantage of the M340i? Also, my impression of the Type S interior/trunk is that maybe it's a little disproportionate to the exterior but that it's still perfectly adequate. Was this something you considered and counted towards the M340i? Appreciate your thoughts.
Acuraaaw (07-26-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 416 Posts
Originally Posted by motlagh
Thanks for the write-up -- one of the more helpful pieces here. The M340i xDrive is the priciest model I'm actually considering against the Type S. It's just under $10k more than the Type S when optioned as I'd like, and I don't love that BMW means a lease, but there's no denying that the M340i is more car. Any thoughts on the relative practicality of the two for daily use? Do you actually find yourself using the power advantage of the M340i?
Funny thing about powerful cars ... the more power you have, the more you use it.
The following 5 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
04WDPSeDaN (07-25-2021), Acuraaaw (07-26-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-25-2021), jhb31 (07-24-2021), someguy11 (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 09:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Fair enough. But I suspect there are degrees here, and the cost difference is significant (assume no ADM), which is why I ask. No doubt this is in large part a personal question, but the OP seems like he'd have a practical perspective.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 416 Posts
Hater Shades: Activated

Ok, so I don't get the praise for the ELS audio system. I will agree that the clarity is very good. Disclaimer, I barely ever listen to the audio except for podcasts. Well, today it was just a fantastic day out, good gym session and I went to the supermarket afterwards and they were playing Taylor Swift over the speakers. I forgot how much I love her music, I don't care what any of y'all think. So, got everything in the car and then searched T. Swizzle on Spotify. Turned the volume up to 13 (way higher than I like) and started driving. What's the hype about? I guess it's subjective, but there's literally no bass. I even went into the system settings and discovered the bass was turned all the way (+7). Although the sound quality is very crisp, I also found that it sounded kind of tinny.

I am by no means an audiophile. This is also why I never go for the upgraded audio systems, meanwhile people here harp about how you're not getting a better audio system. *shrug* This is probably also why I prefer my Sony Extra Bass earbuds over my Apple Airpod Pros (gifted to me).

On a side note, it definitely does a good job of covering up all the rattles in the car. No wonder the folks in the RDX forum get so defensive when I call out Acura's substandard build quality with the Baker's Dozen of interior quality issues (and counting) I've dealt with.

Fair enough. But I suspect there are degrees here, and the cost difference is significant (assume no ADM), which is why I ask. No doubt this is in large part a personal question, but the OP seems like he'd have a practical perspective.
It's hard to say exactly from a short test drive. Driving around town you're really not going to notice a difference. Honestly, the Type-S may be better in this aspect, as I suspect Acura tunes their cars to be usable in this area, which is also why it has very little gas left up top. This is why the car will be great for people who just drive around normally 99% of the time and don't care so much about the feeling of thrust while traveling into speeds that will get you arrested. Regardless, you really can't argue the numbers. TLX Type-S makes about the 280-ish range wHP. The M340i xDrive has been dyno'd in the 360-ish range wHP.

That, combined with 250lbs less weight, the performance difference is pronounced. At WOT, I could tell quite a difference in performance, tho, in the Type-S, I was only allowed to do one quick burst, but let's be honest, it's simply not in the same league as the Bimmer. Even the S4 and C43 can't hold a candle to it. I will say, the Type-S is a more comfortable cabin and certainly has more road presence, at least in my subjective opinion. Even I have a hard time differentiating the M340i from a 330i until I get closer ... it's really mostly just a slightly different front and rear fascia and other subtle styling cues. But, if performance is near the top of your priority list, the M340i reigns supreme, and the Type-S is a dead last.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Funny thing about powerful cars ... the more power you have, the more you use it.
This^^^^ is so true. Once you have some you will use it a lot more than you think. Also most probably can't miss power they never had but once you have some and you drive something with less you will notice it right away.
leomio2.0 (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
This^^^^ is so true. Once you have some you will use it a lot more than you think. Also most probably can't miss power they never had but once you have some and you drive something with less you will notice it right away.
Couldn’t agree more. I went from a 2009 C63 AMG to a 2009 R8 V8 and while the numbers on paper were in the same ballpark the delivery was very different. So once I got the chance I traded it in for an R8 V10 and then I was able to sleep at night.
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-25-2021), vhtran (07-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 12:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
To me in a non crazy just going to the store & back type driving you will use a lot less throttle pedal. Car moves from a traffic light with very little effort. Speed changes same thing lite pressure & you are +10mph.

Over the road passing is a lot different these as cars move. Kind of loose here in NC in the empty eastern part of the sate. Normal speeds are 80/85 in posted 70 areas. Passing someone going 75/80 is extremely quick. You would also find the really are on the upper edge of 6 cylinder cars in fuel economy. Not the EPA BS but real road usage. A bit over 200 miles door to door mostly on the interstate.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:27 AM
Pro

Received 535 Likes on 263 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Hater Shades: Activated

Ok, so I don't get the praise for the ELS audio system. I will agree that the clarity is very good. Disclaimer, I barely ever listen to the audio except for podcasts. Well, today it was just a fantastic day out, good gym session and I went to the supermarket afterwards and they were playing Taylor Swift over the speakers. I forgot how much I love her music, I don't care what any of y'all think. So, got everything in the car and then searched T. Swizzle on Spotify. Turned the volume up to 13 (way higher than I like) and started driving. What's the hype about? I guess it's subjective, but there's literally no bass. I even went into the system settings and discovered the bass was turned all the way (+7). Although the sound quality is very crisp, I also found that it sounded kind of tinny.
Yes, the bass is weak sauce on the 2ND G TLX. Where the hell is the BASS? I think it's worse than 1G which was already weak.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Yes, the bass is weak sauce on the 2ND G TLX. Where the hell is the BASS? I think it's worse than 1G which was already weak.
I found with the ELS it took me a few months to dial in the sound settings to get it set how I liked it. The source quality made a huge difference as well. The ELS system is decent overall relative to most. I do listen to music a lot when driving and I always opt for the highest system offered if that option is available. For really great base you still need to venture into an aftermarket sub/amp regardless of which brand system you get in a car and then to do it right it costs a decent amount of money, know how and a willingness to cut some panels or paying someone else to hopefully do it right. A surprising number of people do go that extra mile over in the Audi forums but mods in general there are pretty common, haven't seen it all that much with here with Acura. I just won't cut up a fairly new car to get that extra bass.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:30 PM
Drifting

I have no issues with bass. I disabled the DTS Neural and things were much better after that.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 35 Posts
What are you guys listening too? I have the bass turned almost all the way down and it still hits pretty hard. I usually listen to tunes at volume 35 or more, 30 as a minimum.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:49 AM
9th Gear

Received 42 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the write-up -- one of the more helpful pieces here. The M340i xDrive is the priciest model I'm actually considering against the Type S. It's just under $10k more than the Type S when optioned as I'd like, and I don't love that BMW means a lease, but there's no denying that the M340i is more car. Any thoughts on the relative practicality of the two for daily use? Do you actually find yourself using the power advantage of the M340i? Also, my impression of the Type S interior/trunk is that maybe it's a little disproportionate to the exterior but that it's still perfectly adequate. Was this something you considered and counted towards the M340i? Appreciate your thoughts.
Sorry for the late reply. I actually do some backroad drives with some buddies who have real M cars and Porsches so I need all the power I can get! I've even got a mild tune on it. If you plan on doing some spirited driving outside of commuting, I highly recommend.

But yes in most daily driving situations you cannot use all the power.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 08:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
I agree. I have three motorcycles. The slowest one is faster than most cars you’ll see on the road on any sort of a regular basis. The “middle” bike will outrun all but a few VERY expensive cars. The fastest bike is, well, just stupid fast. I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t run the first two to redline very often and mostly just use the power on backroads to pass slow cars (and Harleys). The stupid fast bike I ride, well, stupid fast just because it’s such a thrill ride
BEAR-AvHistory (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 10:13 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ghostof TypeS Past
What are you guys listening too? I have the bass turned almost all the way down and it still hits pretty hard. I usually listen to tunes at volume 35 or more, 30 as a minimum.
30-35 will make most people go deaf (if the car even lets you go that high). My normal listening is 6 to 7.
Are you talking about master volume or the setting of the bass level?
04WDPSeDaN (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 10:35 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
30-35 will make most people go deaf (if the car even lets you go that high). My normal listening is 6 to 7.
Agreed. I barely crack above 10. Every time I get into any of the vehicles that my wife used, the volume is cranked and i'm like "What the F*$%K!!" ears.
The following 3 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
DLM1213 (07-27-2021), ELIN (07-27-2021), vhtran (07-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 03:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ELIN
I'm in the 10-15 range and turn it up to 20 when I want it to be "loud". I will say that the ELS system is clean enough that going up to 30 it sounds good, if louder than I like.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:12 AM
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Agreed. I barely crack above 10. Every time I get into any of the vehicles that my wife used, the volume is cranked and i'm like "What the F*$%K!!" ears.
LOL...The same with my wife both cars and TVs.