The TLX Sucks - Especially Type S

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 03:42 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11
It looks like you and I were working on making the same point at the same time. Arguing with these guys it like talking to a wall. First they go it's worth it to spend to spend $20k extra for the Type S over an Accord 2.0T Touring - then say it's asinine to spend $12k (realistically less) on a comparably loaded M340i that trounces a Type S.
I just went to the BMW site and built a comparable M340ix with Type-S features for $60,125 MSRP, so it's more like $7K. I can run it up higher, but then I'd be adding features the Type-S doesn't have.
But then there's the $4K off Summer Sale from BMW, at least another $3K from the dealer and 0.9% financing. That probably makes the BMW slightly less today. If you lease, the BMW will likely always be cheaper. They have much higher residuals because BMW plans on selling every one twice. Once to you, then as a CPO. On the other hand, the Type-S has a better standard radio.

I'm not saying the Type-S is a bad car, nor am I saying a BMW is an all around better one. What I will say is that I found the reality of what the Type-S turned out to be very disappointing. For all of the Acura marketing pitch and hype surrounding the long awaited return of the Type-S I think they fell short. Premium features found at the upper trims of the Accord and TLX aren't available on the Type-S. Performance is only marginally better than my '07 Type-S 6mt. The seat of the pants feel in anything less than Sport+ is actually worse, it takes a while for the Turbo and transmission to get on the same page.
After 14 years I expected better, much better.

The following 7 users liked this post by mike03a3:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-24-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021), pyrodan007 (07-24-2021), silverTL6 (07-27-2021), someguy11 (07-24-2021), technocrat (07-27-2021), Terragotti (07-26-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-24-2021, 04:05 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by mike03a3
I just went to the BMW site and built a comparable M340ix with Type-S features for $60,125 MSRP, so it's more like $7K. I can run it up higher, but then I'd be adding features the Type-S doesn't have.
But then there's the $4K off Summer Sale from BMW, at least another $3K from the dealer and 0.9% financing. That probably makes the BMW slightly less today. If you lease, the BMW will likely always be cheaper. They have much higher residuals because BMW plans on selling every one twice. Once to you, then as a CPO. On the other hand, the Type-S has a better standard radio.

I'm not saying the Type-S is a bad car, nor am I saying a BMW is an all around better one. What I will say is that I found the reality of what the Type-S turned out to be very disappointing. For all of the Acura marketing pitch and hype surrounding the long awaited return of the Type-S I think they fell short. Premium features found at the upper trims of the Accord and TLX aren't available on the Type-S. Performance is only marginally better than my '07 Type-S 6mt. The seat of the pants feel in anything less than Sport+ is actually worse, it takes a while for the Turbo and transmission to get on the same page.
After 14 years I expected better, much better.

That $4K offer is up to $4K for select models and you must be a current BMW owner to obtain it. There are so many caveats that it’s really not certain that you’d actually receive it if you choose to buy a M340i or if you did exactly how much it would be. It seems to be nothing more than a ploy to get you into the dealership.

Offer available to qualified customers with excellent credit history who finance through BMW Financial Services NA, LLC. Offer limited to customers who have owned a BMW model in the last 12 months. In order to qualify for a BMW Loyalty Credit, loyal current or former BMW owners or lessees must show proof of ownership or BMW Financial Services NA, LLC account number and qualify for credit approval. Available credits: up to $4,000 off new 2021 BMW 3 Series Sedan, up to $2,750 off new 2021 BMW X3, up to $3,500 off new 2021 BMW 5 Series Sedan.Must take delivery by August 2, 2021. Availability of finance and loyalty credits are subject to dealer participation. Visit your authorized BMW Center for important details.

©2021 BMW of North America, LLC. The BMW name, model names and logo are registered trademarks.
The following users liked this post:
WTF.Acura (07-25-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 04:17 PM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
No, you are talking about $8k in addition to $54K which is $62K. Whether you believe it or not, whether they have the money or not, some folks can’t justify spending $62K for an auto in the same way some can’t justify spending $40K. The shame is you don’t even realize how flippant your post was.
As someone has already posted, a comparably equipped M340i stickers for 60K....going over would include stuff that the Type S does not have. In real life the BMW will be cheaper, first of all there is no ADM crap ad a BMW dealership, it will lease for a smaller monthly payment, it is more fuel efficient and BMW has 4 years maintenance free program.
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-25-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
It's interesting cause I'm looking at a 5 series after my 19 lease ends this year

Why go to a BMW board when I have this one? I would be an asshole mod and be banning fools
Old 07-24-2021, 04:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 4G-Lover
As someone has already posted, a comparably equipped M340i stickers for 60K....going over would include stuff that the Type S does not have. In real life the BMW will be cheaper, first of all there is no ADM crap ad a BMW dealership, it will lease for a smaller monthly payment, it is more fuel efficient and BMW has 4 years maintenance free program.
Not sure how that other poster got to $60K. Here’s my build and I couldn’t find a seat cooling option or an audio upgrade. The standard audio is 10 speakers and a paltry 205 watts.

WTF.Acura (07-25-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
In that case, it sounds like a modern day muscle car to me.
Agree

Three things anyone who is reasonably serious about buying am M340 orders it. Usually not that many on the lots & the ones that are there you don't want. The Z4 M40i is the first BMW I bought that was not ordered simply because it matched up with what I would have ordered. So thats 1 for 6 in favor of ordering. Second thing is at $60,000 for a M340 its what most will buy. Last, many options that are "dealer installed" on a car off the lot are stand alone so you buy them & pay for instillation. On an order car they are part of the car so part of your deal & no out of pocket. They are also port of entry installed so there is no instillation charge.

On the deal itself I would expect this car to have a few discounts $3000/4000 off MSRP would not be a stretchy & maybe a good negotiator could do better. The 15% days are gone but some wiggle room is still there. This version of the M340 has been out a while & likely available with incentives. I am working a deal on a totally new model, relatively low production volume, just going into production with $3000 off MSRP as an opening offer from the dealer.

M340 Base $54,325 $59,5203.0-liter BMW M TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder, 24-valve 382-hp engine with eBoost 48V mild hybrid technology. Combines a twin-scroll turbocharger with variable valve control (Double-VANOS and Valvetronic) and high-precision direct injectionAuto Start-Stop functionDirect ignition system with knock controlElectronically controlled engine cooling (map cooling)Brake Energy RegenerationDriving Dynamics Control with selectable drive modesM Sport Differential8-speed Sport Automatic transmission with Sport and Manual shift modes, steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters and Launch ControlElectronic throttle controlDynamic Stability Control (DSC), including Brake Fade Compensation, Start-off Assistant, Brake Drying, and Brake Stand-by features; with Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)Double-pivot-type front suspension with anti-roll bar and stiffer spring struts5-link rear suspension with cast-aluminum upper transverse armsTwin-tube gas-pressure shock absorbersHigh-performance, lightweight, 4-wheel ventilated disc brakes with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) and Cornering Brake Control (CBC)M Sport brakesM Sport suspensionVariable Sport Steering18" M Double-spoke bi-color orbit grey wheels, style 790M with performance runflat tiresAerodynamic KitPower-folding, heated side mirrorsShadowline exterior trimM rear spoilerNon-metallic paint
SensaTec UpholsteryAnthracite HeadlinerAluminum Tetragon trimSensaTec DashboardM footrest and M door-sill finishers
Wireless features, remote services, and intuitive technology.Connected Package Professional features Real-Time Traffic Information and On-Street Parking Information (select cities), Hazard Preview, BMW Remote Services including Stolen Vehicle Recovery, Remote Door Unlock, BMW Connected App, and Concierge Services. The Intelligent Personal Assistant voice control offers natural speech input for various functions, including navigationApple CarPlay™ and Android Auto CompatibilityBMW ConnectedDrive® ServicesBMW TeleServicesRemote Software Upgrade Capable
Anti-theft AM/FM stereo with Radio Data System (RDS)HiFi Sound System with 205-watt digital amplifier and 10 speakersSiriusXM® with 360L + 1-year All Access subscription3-spoke power telescopic, leather-wrapped, multi-function M sport steering wheelUSB audio connection and hands-free Bluetooth® including Audio StreamingLive Cockpit Professional features a 12.3" digital instrument cluster and 10.25" central information display. The multi-input iDrive 7.0 system is operated by voice, touchscreen, and iDrive touchpad Controller. Navigation, Bluetooth, two USB ports, 8 freely programmable bookmarks, and Over-the-Air (OTA) updates for map data up to 4 times annually are also includedDynamic Cruise ControlTire Pressure MonitorRear-window defrosterEngine Start/Stop buttonAdvanced Vehicle & Key Memory includes most recently used climate-control temperature and air-distribution settings; exterior mirror and power seat settings; audio tone settings and radio presets; central-locking preferences; and lighting preferencesPower front sport seats including 2-way manual headrests and thigh support plus memory system for driver's seat and exterior mirror positions40/20/40 split fold-down through-load rear seatsMulti-color, adjustable ambient lightingComfort Access keyless entryAutomatic 3-zone Climate Control including micro-filter and automatic air recirculation2-way power glass moonroof with "one-touch" operation and power interior sunshadeFront-seat center armrestTilt/telescopic steering wheel columnAutomatic-dimming interior rear-view mirror and driver's-side exterior mirrorPower front and rear windows with "one-touch" up/down operationLocking gloveboxElectric interior trunk releaseRain-sensing windshield wipers with adjustable speed and automatic headlight controlUniversal garage-door openerStorage compartment package
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)Adaptive BrakelightsFront and rear Head Protection System (HPS)Driver's and passenger's front airbag supplemental restraint system (SRS) with advanced technology: dual-threshold, dual-stage deployment; and front-passenger-seat sensors designed to prevent unnecessary airbag deploymentSeat-mounted front side-impact airbagsKnee airbags for driver and front passengerFront safety belts with automatic pretensionersFront-passenger-seat-occupation recognition with Passenger's Airbag Off indicatorAutomatic-locking retractors (ALR) on all passenger safety belts for installation of child-restraint seatLATCH attachments for child-restraint safety installationAnti-theft alarm systemActive Protection System detects imminent accidents, then prepares by automatically pretensioning safety belts, closing windows and moonroof, and activating post-crash braking; includes Fatigue and Focus Alert featureAutomatic high beamsActive Guard, with Frontal Collison Warning and Automatic City Collision Mitigation and BrakingBMW Assist eCall™ includes Emergency Request (SOS button) and Enhanced Automatic Collision NotificationImpact sensor that activates Battery Safety Terminal disconnect of alternator, fuel pump and starter from battery; automatically unlocks doors; and turns on hazard and interior lightsRear-view CameraLED Headlights with Cornering LightsAcoustic safety-belt warningProgrammable LED Daytime Running Lights
Options
M-Sport Shadowline Trim $300
Metallic Paint $550
19" Double-spoke bi-color orbit grey wheels
All-season run-flat
$600
Black Leather Blue contrast stitching $1,450
PREMIUM $1400
Head-up Display
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated front seats
Driving Assistance Package $700
Active driving Assistant
Active Blind Spot Detection
Lane Departure Warning
Park Distance control
Adaptive M Suspension $700

Old 07-24-2021, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Agree

Three things anyone who is reasonably serious about buying am M340 orders it. Usually not that many on the lots & the ones that are there you don't want. The Z4 M40i is the first BMW I bought that was not ordered simply because it matched up with what I would have ordered. So thats 1 for 6 in favor of ordering. Second thing is at $60,000 for a M340 its what most will buy. Last, many options that are "dealer installed" on a car off the lot are stand alone so you buy them & pay for instillation. On an order car they are part of the car so part of your deal & no out of pocket. They are also port of entry installed so there is no instillation charge.

On the deal itself I would expect this car to have a few discounts $3000/4000 off MSRP would not be a stretchy & maybe a good negotiator could do better. The 15% days are gone but some wiggle room is still there. This version of the M340 has been out a while & likely available with incentives. I am working a deal on a totally new model, relatively low production volume, just going into production with $3000 off MSRP as an opening offer from the dealer.

M340 Base $54,325 $59,5203.0-liter BMW M TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder, 24-valve 382-hp engine with eBoost 48V mild hybrid technology. Combines a twin-scroll turbocharger with variable valve control (Double-VANOS and Valvetronic) and high-precision direct injectionAuto Start-Stop functionDirect ignition system with knock controlElectronically controlled engine cooling (map cooling)Brake Energy RegenerationDriving Dynamics Control with selectable drive modesM Sport Differential8-speed Sport Automatic transmission with Sport and Manual shift modes, steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters and Launch ControlElectronic throttle controlDynamic Stability Control (DSC), including Brake Fade Compensation, Start-off Assistant, Brake Drying, and Brake Stand-by features; with Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)Double-pivot-type front suspension with anti-roll bar and stiffer spring struts5-link rear suspension with cast-aluminum upper transverse armsTwin-tube gas-pressure shock absorbersHigh-performance, lightweight, 4-wheel ventilated disc brakes with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) and Cornering Brake Control (CBC)M Sport brakesM Sport suspensionVariable Sport Steering18" M Double-spoke bi-color orbit grey wheels, style 790M with performance runflat tiresAerodynamic KitPower-folding, heated side mirrorsShadowline exterior trimM rear spoilerNon-metallic paint
SensaTec UpholsteryAnthracite HeadlinerAluminum Tetragon trimSensaTec DashboardM footrest and M door-sill finishers
Wireless features, remote services, and intuitive technology.Connected Package Professional features Real-Time Traffic Information and On-Street Parking Information (select cities), Hazard Preview, BMW Remote Services including Stolen Vehicle Recovery, Remote Door Unlock, BMW Connected App, and Concierge Services. The Intelligent Personal Assistant voice control offers natural speech input for various functions, including navigationApple CarPlay™ and Android Auto CompatibilityBMW ConnectedDrive® ServicesBMW TeleServicesRemote Software Upgrade Capable
Anti-theft AM/FM stereo with Radio Data System (RDS)HiFi Sound System with 205-watt digital amplifier and 10 speakersSiriusXM® with 360L + 1-year All Access subscription3-spoke power telescopic, leather-wrapped, multi-function M sport steering wheelUSB audio connection and hands-free Bluetooth® including Audio StreamingLive Cockpit Professional features a 12.3" digital instrument cluster and 10.25" central information display. The multi-input iDrive 7.0 system is operated by voice, touchscreen, and iDrive touchpad Controller. Navigation, Bluetooth, two USB ports, 8 freely programmable bookmarks, and Over-the-Air (OTA) updates for map data up to 4 times annually are also includedDynamic Cruise ControlTire Pressure MonitorRear-window defrosterEngine Start/Stop buttonAdvanced Vehicle & Key Memory includes most recently used climate-control temperature and air-distribution settings; exterior mirror and power seat settings; audio tone settings and radio presets; central-locking preferences; and lighting preferencesPower front sport seats including 2-way manual headrests and thigh support plus memory system for driver's seat and exterior mirror positions40/20/40 split fold-down through-load rear seatsMulti-color, adjustable ambient lightingComfort Access keyless entryAutomatic 3-zone Climate Control including micro-filter and automatic air recirculation2-way power glass moonroof with "one-touch" operation and power interior sunshadeFront-seat center armrestTilt/telescopic steering wheel columnAutomatic-dimming interior rear-view mirror and driver's-side exterior mirrorPower front and rear windows with "one-touch" up/down operationLocking gloveboxElectric interior trunk releaseRain-sensing windshield wipers with adjustable speed and automatic headlight controlUniversal garage-door openerStorage compartment package
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)Adaptive BrakelightsFront and rear Head Protection System (HPS)Driver's and passenger's front airbag supplemental restraint system (SRS) with advanced technology: dual-threshold, dual-stage deployment; and front-passenger-seat sensors designed to prevent unnecessary airbag deploymentSeat-mounted front side-impact airbagsKnee airbags for driver and front passengerFront safety belts with automatic pretensionersFront-passenger-seat-occupation recognition with Passenger's Airbag Off indicatorAutomatic-locking retractors (ALR) on all passenger safety belts for installation of child-restraint seatLATCH attachments for child-restraint safety installationAnti-theft alarm systemActive Protection System detects imminent accidents, then prepares by automatically pretensioning safety belts, closing windows and moonroof, and activating post-crash braking; includes Fatigue and Focus Alert featureAutomatic high beamsActive Guard, with Frontal Collison Warning and Automatic City Collision Mitigation and BrakingBMW Assist eCall™ includes Emergency Request (SOS button) and Enhanced Automatic Collision NotificationImpact sensor that activates Battery Safety Terminal disconnect of alternator, fuel pump and starter from battery; automatically unlocks doors; and turns on hazard and interior lightsRear-view CameraLED Headlights with Cornering LightsAcoustic safety-belt warningProgrammable LED Daytime Running Lights
Options
Metallic Paint $550
All-season run-flat
$600
PREMIUM $1400
Head-up Display
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated front seats
Active driving Assistant
Lane Departure Warning
Park Distance control
All that for $60K AND it’s an M340i to begin with sounds like a bargain.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:04 PM
Pro

Agree

Options
Metallic Paint $550
All-season run-flat
$600
PREMIUM $1400
Head-up Display
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated front seats
Active driving Assistant
Lane Departure Warning
Park Distance control
No X-Drive?
Old 07-24-2021, 05:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
All that for $60K AND it’s an M340i to begin with sounds like a bargain.
There we go being disingenuous again. The exercise here was to match the Type S features. The only build that comes close to that is the one I put up.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Not sure how that other poster got to $60K. Here’s my build and I couldn’t find a seat cooling option or an audio upgrade. The standard audio is 10 speakers and a paltry 205 watts.
I expect like me he would not order the Driving Assistance Professional package for $1700 to much assistance in these cars now. Also the are no cooled seats which most cars don't have & have no idea about the radio.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

There we go being disingenuous again. The exercise here was to match the Type S features. The only build that comes close to that is the one I put up.
Not sure what you’re going on about. I simply said that particular build looked pretty appealing for the price. Wasn’t comparing it to the Type S. Nevertheless, I don’t really get why people think superior products shouldn’t cost more.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:15 PM
Suzuka Master

No X-Drive?
I said what I would order. Tell me why with an SUV 4X4 & a Pickup 4X4 I would want a 4X4 in a sports sedan that has traction to cover its power in NC? The M4CS will be a 4X4 because thats how it comes. Would order it if it did not have it because the 503BHP probably 550HP does not have traction to cover its power. Can't you see the advantage of buying what you want & not getting stuff you don't want rammed down your throat buy a one size fits all car?

Take rate on the Type-S would go up quite a bit if it have a flexible optioning.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:15 PM
Pro

I expect like me he would not order the Driving Assistance Professional package for $1700 to much assistance in these cars now. Also the are no cooled seats which most cars don't have & have no idea about the radio.
Bear, I understand what your preferences are, but that has nothing to do with what we’re trying to do here. By the way there is no 20” wheel option and the tires on the 18s are run flats.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Not sure what you’re going on about. I simply said that particular build looked pretty appealing for the price. Wasn’t comparing it to the Type S. Nevertheless, I don’t really get why people think superior products shouldn’t cost more.
I understand that and you understand that. However, what we have here are folks trying to claim that is not the case to the extent that some of us know to be. You could reasonably argue that a M340i with all Type S features would cost a buyer $64K. It would be an all around better vehicle, but it’s going to cost you from a MSRP basis $10K more.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

I understand that and you understand that. However, what we have here are folks trying to claim that is not the case to the extent that some of us know to be. You could reasonably argue that a M340i with all Type S features would cost a buyer $64K. It would be an all around better vehicle, but it’s going to cost you from a MSRP basis $10K more.
Yes, I agree. And my point all along is there’s a reason similar products are sometimes priced very differently. If you look at condominiums, you can have Gaggenau appliances and granite countertops and genuine hardwood floors but if it’s in a woodframe building, some people would just rather buy into a concrete building instead even if the condo unit itself only has Bosch and laminate floors, etc.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:53 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
Motor trend has the 2021 A-Spec at 7 seconds 0-60.
That "7 seconds" has been debunked months ago. The A-Spec is a 6.2 second car and if you discount the 1 foot roll out as C&D does, then it becomes a 5.9 sec car:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Using the same 1 ft roll out metric, the Type S is a 4.9 sec car so it only gained a full second on the 2.0 L TLX.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-type-s-drive/
Old 07-24-2021, 05:58 PM
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 35 Posts
Old 07-24-2021, 06:02 PM
8th Gear

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
If you do really care about performance, I would be concerned and stay away from the Type S. That Type S owner who keeps getting dusted in Sam's videos is being publicly humiliated in front of millions of YT subscribers. At least they haven't made a meme out of the Type S....yet.

I have an A-Spec because I've been honest with myself and others in saying that I rather that my car "look fast than actually be fast." In this regard, there's not much differentiating the A-Spec from the Type S but I've saved thousands of dollars!
Seems like you are worried sick about what people think of you. I know Sam is a great looking guy and all, but please!.. get off his dick, or stay on it, whatever you fancy. Don’t get me wrong. Everyone has their insecurities in life, but this is no reason for “concern”. If image is as important as you are proposing. It seems your worst nightmare is to be “publicly humiliated in front of millions” You may want to reevaluate the brand.

As far as you saving THOUSANDS? Okay Lol …

47k for an “aspec Honda” is hard to ignore.

As far as the Type S goes.

It’s a 6k option to get a more powerful engine with adaptive dampers, a premium exhaust, much nicer looking wheels IMO, better shifting transmission, Brembo brakes and the list goes on… if you couldn’t muster up the extra change then good for you. I mean you could of always gone for the stripped down base version.

What compelled you to come on here? To troll an upper trim level of your own car on a enthusiast site because it’s just too easy? You have a TLX that is a step above the base trim. If you need to feel better about your purchase, then you are doing what ever you gotta do to get by. I know it’s hard out there, but please don’t tell me you came on here to gloat that you saved money by upgrading to a $8,000 APPEARANCE package.

I hope that i never meet another fellow Acura owner on the road with this bull*%t mindset.

No matter…… I’ll be the first to wave.

Last edited by TypeSDreams; 07-24-2021 at 06:04 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by TypeSDreams:
Dellz (04-27-2024), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-24-2021), petdocmb (07-25-2021), WTF.Acura (07-25-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 06:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TypeSDreams
Seems like you are worried sick about what people think of you. I know Sam is a great looking guy and all, but please!.. get off his dick, or stay on it, whatever you fancy. Don’t get me wrong. Everyone has their insecurities in life, but this is no reason for “concern”. If image is as important as you are proposing. It seems your worst nightmare is to be “publicly humiliated in front of millions” You may want to reevaluate the brand.

As far as you saving THOUSANDS? Okay Lol …

47k for an “aspec Honda” is hard to ignore.

As far as the Type S goes.

It’s a 6k option to get a more powerful engine with adaptive dampers, a premium exhaust, much nicer looking wheels IMO, better shifting transmission, Brembo brakes and the list goes on… if you couldn’t muster up the extra change then good for you. I mean you could of always gone for the stripped down base version but you just paid

What compelled you to come on here? To troll an upper trim level of your own car on a enthusiast site because it’s just too easy? You have a TLX that is a step above the base trim. If you need to feel better about your purchase, then you are doing what ever you gotta do to get by. I know it’s hard out there, but please don’t tell me you came on here to gloat that you saved money by upgrading to a $8,000 APPEARANCE package.

I hope that i never meet another fellow Acura owner on the road with this bull*%t mindset.

No matter…… I’ll be the first to wave.
Hmmm.. Let's check reality. I got my A-Spec at less than $43k negotiated price on a lease (could have financed but chose not to on the first year of a new gen model). Current ask from Acura dealers on the Type S is MSRP at best but typically will have some sort of ADM (the $6k difference you mentioned b/w the A-Spec and the Type S might be a typical ADM)! According to the current market, I stand to save well over $10k based on what dealers want for the Type S. I'm pretty sure I made the right decision for 1 sec more 0-60 time, don't you think?

You have your reasons for ordering your Type S (did it come in yet?) and I'm glad that's the car for you. Not sure why you feel the need to belittle me when I gave the reasons why the A-Spec was right for me and not the Type S.
Yes, I'm so worried about what people think of me that I have trouble sleeping at night.
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-24-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 06:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
No, you are talking about $8k in addition to $54K which is $62K. Whether you believe it or not, whether they have the money or not, some folks can’t justify spending $62K for an auto in the same way some can’t justify spending $40K. The shame is you don’t even realize how flippant your post was.
I get your point completely. If my price limit was 54k and I wanted brand new with a lot of features (and I do like features/options) the type S is going to be appealing for a number of buyers like the TLX but who want better overall performance than the 4cyl offers. If all out performance is high on the list over everything else then I don't see the TypeS as being all that compelling. On the flip side there are a number of real buyers of the Type S on the forums and none of them are complaining (that I have seen) about the car so people that actually bought it seem to be happy with their decision.

I somewhat fall into your bucket as I didn't want to spend 60k much less close to 70k and just went the cpo route so got a car new that was just under 70k for comfortably under 50k with a 5 year extended warranty with the sacrifice of it have 24k miles on it and not being brand new. Not everyone has 60 or 70k to spend on a car and not everyone that has it to spend wants to spend that much on a car. I could have gotten the car new for 68k and it wouldn't have been a big deal but it's more than I care to allocate to a car at this point and I have bought to TLX's new since 2017 so I have wasted a decent amount of money switching cars which was a result of not getting what I really wanted to start with. My cutoff though is around 50k for any car.I like cars but just draw the line there.
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmski
Are you serious? Did you even test drive the Type S? It's night and day from Aspec.
Literally night and day…. Can you say “Sport+?”
Old 07-24-2021, 06:46 PM
8th Gear

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmm.. Let's check reality. I got my A-Spec at less than $43k negotiated price on a lease (could have financed but chose not to on the first year of a new gen model). Current ask from Acura dealers on the Type S is MSRP at best but typically will have some sort of ADM (the $6k difference you mentioned b/w the A-Spec and the Type S might be a typical ADM)! According to the current market, I stand to save well over $10k based on what dealers want for the Type S. I'm pretty sure I made the right decision for 1 sec more 0-60 time, don't you think?

You have your reasons for ordering your Type S (did it come in yet?) and I'm glad that's the car for you. Not sure why you feel the need to belittle me when I gave the reasons why the A-Spec was right for me and not the Type S.
Yes, I'm so worried about what people think of me that I have trouble sleeping at night.
Your reasons that you forgot to mention to STAY AWAY from that trim level also include:

-Make sure you CARE about performance?
-YouTube subscribers (Fear them)
-Possible future Memes
-Sam Diesel

Awesome.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ghostof TypeS Past
Literally night and day…. Can you say “Sport+?”
I believe it. Unfortunately the turbo lag I experienced in the Normal/Comfort mode of my A-Spec still exists in the same mode for the Type S. The TLX is so software-limited that I know Acura couldn't get a better balance of performance and reliability than what they have now.
Most folks who know cars inside and out believe the tranny is the weakest link.
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-24-2021), Ghostof TypeS Past (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 06:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TypeSDreams
Your reasons that you forgot to mention to STAY AWAY from that trim level also include:

-Make sure you CARE about performance?
-YouTube subscribers (Fear them)
-Possible future Memes
-Sam Diesel

Awesome.
Not sure why you keep trolling but you are providing much entertainment for others, I'm sure.

You don't sound like someone who's anxiously waiting for a car and who's comfortable with their choice. You react to my post like someone who has everything to lose if the reputation of the Type S is sullied.
Interesting how you didn't attack the OP of this thread and chose me instead. How did I get so lucky?
BEAR-AvHistory (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 07:09 PM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
At the M340i performance level, AWD is not going help you avoid a tire change if you live in cold climates.....these cars come with aggressive summer performance tires (partially responsible for their high level handling) which are going to suck in bad weather even with AWD....you will need to change tires regardless, at that point you can put the best winter tires you can and you are going to do mostly fine with a RWD car. BMW RWD are more fun and with better steering feel than their AWD counterpart.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 07:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 4G-Lover
At the M340i performance level, AWD is not going help you avoid a tire change if you live in cold climates.....these cars come with aggressive summer performance tires (partially responsible for their high level handling) which are going to suck in bad weather even with AWD....you will need to change tires regardless, at that point you can put the best winter tires you can and you are going to do mostly fine with a RWD car. BMW RWD are more fun and with better steering feel than their AWD counterpart.
i don’t doubt you, but once again that wasn’t the exercise we were conducting.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Thing is it seems like some of us are not playing in your exercise. I can get exactly the car I want if I ever wanted a 4 door 3 series for $59.5 MSRP less discounts. I don't want & would not buy the BMW you spec out. Think I mentioned in another post the M340 spec I used is identical to the three coupes I had less model year update differences.

Might be a real shocker I don't want some things the Type-S has either. I certainly am not going to pay for things I don't want. Being locked into AWD in a lower performing Sport Sedan is a deal breaker. My consideration of a Type-S ends right there. M series yes think its a must, the car needs the traction assistance. Nice thing about it in the M is it can locked out & the car functions as a standard RWD.

The BMW you chose would be an all round better vehicle to you but not to me. Additionally a Type-S would not be an all-round better vehicle to me even at $$5500 less money. Its too big, too heavy, too thirsty & too slow. That's why there are a lot of brands of cars. People like different things. Some people like big cars, Iike smaller cars & big SUV's. I also like smaller pickup trucks & would not buy an F-150.

Anybody paying $60,000 for a M340 could obviously pay $54,000 for a TLX-S but they don't & would rather pay more for what they want. They made a choice. That choice is made every sales day every month all year long. BMW's cost more than an Acura in general but they still manage to sell a lot more cars & maybe SUV's. Acura has a much narrower appeal, expect its the smaller product line.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Not sure why you keep trolling but you are providing much entertainment for others, I'm sure.

You don't sound like someone who's anxiously waiting for a car and who's comfortable with their choice. You react to my post like someone who has everything to lose if the reputation of the Type S is sullied.
Interesting how you didn't attack the OP of this thread and chose me instead. How did I get so lucky?
Elin look at his join date....maybe a member with more than one account?
ELIN (07-25-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 11:38 PM
Pro

Thing is it seems like some of us are not playing in your exercise. I can get exactly the car I want if I ever wanted a 4 door 3 series for $59.5 MSRP less discounts. I don't want & would not buy the BMW you spec out. Think I mentioned in another post the M340 spec I used is identical to the three coupes I had less model year update differences.

Might be a real shocker I don't want some things the Type-S has either. I certainly am not going to pay for things I don't want. Being locked into AWD in a lower performing Sport Sedan is a deal breaker. My consideration of a Type-S ends right there. M series yes think its a must, the car needs the traction assistance. Nice thing about it in the M is it can locked out & the car functions as a standard RWD.

The BMW you chose would be an all round better vehicle to you but not to me. Additionally a Type-S would not be an all-round better vehicle to me even at $$5500 less money. Its too big, too heavy, too thirsty & too slow. That's why there are a lot of brands of cars. People like different things. Some people like big cars, Iike smaller cars & big SUV's. I also like smaller pickup trucks & would not buy an F-150.

Anybody paying $60,000 for a M340 could obviously pay $54,000 for a TLX-S but they don't & would rather pay more for what they want. They made a choice. That choice is made every sales day every month all year long. BMW's cost more than an Acura in general but they still manage to sell a lot more cars & maybe SUV's. Acura has a much narrower appeal, expect its the smaller product line.
Being capable of and willing to are two different things. I think this is settled. A comparably equipped M340i to a Type S is +$10K more. That’s just reality. Nothing more and nothing less. Let’s just leave it at that and cease with all the misdirection.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Being capable of and willing to are two different things. I think this is settled. A comparably equipped M340i to a Type S is +$10K more. That’s just reality. Nothing more and nothing less. Let’s just leave it at that and cease with all the misdirection.
Hey you can do whatever you want if you feel its that important.....its the internet. Give you something even better the TLX-S is a sold $38,000 cheaper that my daughters car, but she does have vented seats with a built in neck warmer in the head rest, unlike mine.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-24-2021 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:54 AM
Instructor

A comparably equipped M340i to a Type S is +$10K more. That’s just reality…. Let’s just leave it at that and cease with all the misdirection.
I said that 1,000 times… they want used cars. I could have got a 2013 Porsche Turbo with 505hp and a button that turns the exhaust on “VRUMmMmMMmM” for $35k. There’s a 2018 Gulia Quadrifolgio by me for $55. These cats are talking cpo 2020 models that look like straight DOO DOO. Face it folks. This is the 2021 TLX we’re talking about. Doesn’t matter if you’re 79 and built 62 cars in your lifetime at 1,000whp a piece. Been there did that.

Money talks. 2 years ago you guys were so hyped at the G1 TLX. Most got a phenomenal deal too on lease.

Check yourself before you wreck your whole reputation on AZ. I’ve seen OG’s stoop to lows that I can’t even imagine. Have some respect for yourself and put your phone down. Go to bed.

I dare you to roll up next to me with my Type S in any other car and have anything else to say but “damn, nice car, is it fast?” You’re damn right it is… and I love it.. and I can put money you’re not rolling next to me in a Type S and saying anything other than “hell yeah man, you got one too??”

Seriously calm this crap!!! I’ll put money down right now if AZ let’s me donate these fools straight off the platform. Mod or not, you have no money to talk.
Dellz (04-27-2024)
Old 07-25-2021, 08:09 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostof TypeS Past
I said that 1,000 times… they want used cars. I could have got a 2013 Porsche Turbo with 505hp and a button that turns the exhaust on “VRUMmMmMMmM” for $35k. There’s a 2018 Gulia Quadrifolgio by me for $55. These cats are talking cpo 2020 models that look like straight DOO DOO. Face it folks. This is the 2021 TLX we’re talking about. Doesn’t matter if you’re 79 and built 62 cars in your lifetime at 1,000whp a piece. Been there did that.

Money talks. 2 years ago you guys were so hyped at the G1 TLX. Most got a phenomenal deal too on lease.

Check yourself before you wreck your whole reputation on AZ. I’ve seen OG’s stoop to lows that I can’t even imagine. Have some respect for yourself and put your phone down. Go to bed.

I dare you to roll up next to me with my Type S in any other car and have anything else to say but “damn, nice car, is it fast?” You’re damn right it is… and I love it.. and I can put money you’re not rolling next to me in a Type S and saying anything other than “hell yeah man, you got one too??”

Seriously calm this crap!!! I’ll put money down right now if AZ let’s me donate these fools straight off the platform. Mod or not, you have no money to talk.
Take a breather man. We had a great conversation via PM's. Acurazine is still a public forum and anyone here discussing other vehicles isn't a violation against member rules. Some of your posts are starting to cross that violation line which is why I said don't get too upset over other opinions. I'll tell you that I've called people smart asses and fanboys but that's as far as I'd go because respect is still a two way street. Most of these guys have been here for a VERY long time, I doubt you will see them removed for an opinion. Acurazine might not be the right platform for you and others if you're specifically looking for TLX / TLX-S (good vibes only) discussions. In every section of Acurazine, there are threads which have some heated debates.. As BEAR mentioned, it's possible TypeSDreams is your second account, which is an issue on this forum. I had a very nice conversation with TonyPac there are no hard feeling between us and we both exchanged offers to go out to dinner if we cross paths. We all bud heads but not all of us are actually terrible people.

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 07-25-2021 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:22 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
We all bud heads but not all of us are actually terrible people.
I think those of us who might be considered terrible people were less terrible people before experiencing the ZF9 and 70-80mph vibration. I'll probably never bury that hatchet.

But this is the 2G forum and I've moved on. The Type S and its fanboys are so easy to troll. I think those of us who might be considered terrible people would be less terrible people if Acura backed up the hype and put out a Type S with 450bhp and ran 0-60 in 4 seconds. In that case, none of these conversations would be happening.

As it is, the Type S is between fine and great. Probably a very good car. But it's nowhere near as great as its competition, which according to Acura, is the S4, M340i, etc. It irks the fanboys to call out Acura for this charade, because that's when they start justifying "meaningless" 0-60 numbers or adding up all the options you need on the Euro sedan. Like $10k is cost prohibitive to someone in the market for any of these cars. Anyone who wants superior comfort, amenities and performance will pay for it. At the end of the day, the Type S is a step behind the others. And that's fine. But Acura and its buyers proclaiming it's equal or even superior should catch some flack.

Last edited by someguy11; 07-25-2021 at 10:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by someguy11:
04WDPSeDaN (07-25-2021), leomio2.0 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 10:56 AM
Suzuka Master

I think those of us who might be considered terrible people were less terrible people before experiencing the ZF9 and 70-80mph vibration. I'll probably never bury that hatchet.

But this is the 2G forum and I've moved on. The Type S and its fanboys are so easy to troll. I think those of us who might be considered terrible people would be less terrible people if Acura backed up the hype and put out a Type S with 450bhp and ran 0-60 in 4 seconds. In that case, none of these conversations would be happening.

As it is, the Type S is between fine and great. Probably a very good car. But it's nowhere near as great as its competition, which according to Acura, is the S4, M340i, etc. It irks the fanboys to call out Acura for this charade, because that's when they start justifying "meaningless" 0-60 numbers or adding up all the options you need on the Euro sedan. Like $10k is cost prohibitive to someone in the market for any of these cars. Anyone who wants superior comfort, amenities and performance will pay for it. At the end of the day, the Type S is a step behind the others. And that's fine. But Acura and its buyers proclaiming it's equal or even superior should catch some flack.
Think thats pretty good set of words, less than favorable experience with Acura, over hyping / under performing release after release going back a long time. As a marketer it just irks me what the Acura marketing people have done to the brand. Harvard should make a case study of the last 11 years for its MBA program.

I also enjoy the give & take in the posts. Have a lot more time to waste now. Am doing some upgrades on my car, have my wiring diagrams on my computer so its in the garage with me. Easy access to this forum is bad, just like eating peanuts, you always want to see the next one.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-25-2021 at 10:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
04WDPSeDaN (07-25-2021), someguy11 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 12:55 PM
Drifting

Elin look at his join date....maybe a member with more than one account?
Yeah, I suspect a burner account.

Funny thing is, the more he replied the more ugly issues and unflattering comparisons came out. People tend to listen to owners who paid actual money more than those who only threaten to pay.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 03:39 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You probably have to drop the engine or remove 50 things to change the air filter in a BMW nowadays. It’s just a look at me, I have some money, but not Mercedes money type of car that people buy as a ‘status’ symbol. Or they get leased which is just fronting bullshit to begin with.

Type S is a solid engineered car that should be celebrated, not slandered.

Old 07-25-2021, 04:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CL9oem
You probably have to drop the engine or remove 50 things to change the air filter in a BMW nowadays. It’s just a look at me, I have some money, but not Mercedes money type of car that people buy as a ‘status’ symbol. Or they get leased which is just fronting bullshit to begin with.

Type S is a solid engineered car that should be celebrated, not slandered.
I don't know about you but I really like progress. If Apple started selling me their latest iPhone but it had the performance of the iPhone 4S, I think many people would be upset.
This is essentially what Acura has done with the performance of the Type S.
SargentHQ (02-13-2023)
Old 07-25-2021, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
I don't know about you but I really like progress. If Apple started selling me their latest iPhone but it had the performance of the iPhone 4S, I think many people would be upset.
The type S is an improvement in performance over the current 4cyl TLX. Maybe too incremental for some but it is an improvement. Using your example each iphone incrementally improves on the prior. Apple didn't go from the 4S straight to the 12. Some people may feel a 4cyl TLX is worth paying more than an Accord, others feel the type S is worth paying more than the lower powered 4cyl. It may not be enough progress for some but to think it's not an improvement over what they had is just not true. I think if they made it another 40 hp and got it down in the 4.3 second 0-60 but the price went up 8 or 10k people would be complaining about that. Once the ADM is gone and supply equals out it is easily their best variation of the TLX as far as performance goes and decent enough value as well.
Honda430 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 04:36 PM
Instructor

By the way I have no idea who Type S dreams is and quite frankly suspect that’s someone that may not end up owning the Type S in general.

You guys are great and we’re all entitled to our opinions however your speculation that I’m a banned member or have burner accounts is wrong - and a strong indicator of why you’re so hard on this car. You challenge anything that’s not your “cup of tea” lol. No hard feelings, but as bear said - some people just have too much time on your hands.

This could all easily be knocked out in a weekly zoom call with less text littering the forum.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:37 PM
Pro

Elin, come on. That's simply just bullshit. They added 73HP to the car. The original Type S was just 26 HP above the base model. View the car for what it is not what you want it to be. If it doesn't fit your requirements buy something else or maybe you've done that already. You bought an Aspec, but you shit on the more powerful version of the car you bought like your version is somehow superior. Did you really expect Acura to put a 400HP engine in this car and price it at $60K? How's that working out for Infiniti? No doubt if they had you same naysayers would be exclaiming that the car was too expensive and that you now had a real reason to buy a S4 or M340i. For the life of me I can't understand how the temperament of many on this site has gone from the Acura value proposition to spend whatever it takes to satisfy you inner boy racer. Of course folks can hang out here if they choose to do so, but maybe ya'll can at least refrain from shitting on people daily. It's just, believe it or not, incredibly bad manners.

Last edited by Honda430; 07-25-2021 at 04:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
Dellz (04-27-2024), wizardjjr (04-02-2022)

Quick Reply: The TLX Sucks - Especially Type S