Throttle House reviews the TLX-S

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 09:27 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Its crude because its stamped sheet metal in the passenger compartment. Can see some riding around now with the seat back down so everyone can check out this exotic enhansement. Sort of like the Yellow Tape on the Dodges. With the BMW & Toyota pieces you close the lid & no one needs to look at it. There is a difference. Then if you don't like them when you open the hood to service the car you can always do what I did - replace them with billet pieces.

Still the key thing is they are not look at me I'm a race car things sitting in the passenger compartment. Is the brace a bright color so everybody gets a good look? Remember all the YouTubers & magazine guys talking about THE BRACE like its so important. No brace & "we are going to die". Score one for the PR group they got a lot of mileage out of it.. Still have to wonder why they need the brace since everybody here seems to be saying its not a car you would ever take to the track.

Seems like the BMW braces are pretty functional at the track. The Supra was originally released without them in a lower horsepower version of the B58. The Z4 had them from the start with the B58. When the Supra got the 382BHP B58 & the braces it was retested by TH & went from #19 to #10 on the TH chart. Since the TLX-S already has a brace it might have peaked out.
who rides around with their seatback down?

And it's folks like you and some others who are fascinated with the brace for some reason. And I've yet to see anyone say they're gonna die

As for the cheap stamped steel what do you think BMW uses?
Cheap stamped, rolled and seam welded steel tubes that are further stamped for end attachment , visible when the hood is open.

Some of you are kinda for Acura to use the bracing then like it's OK in my BMW or Audi (they use them to connect the strut towers to the firewall) which makes no sense at all.
It's there for chassis rigidity, if you don't know what that is there's plenty on the internet to explain it and why it improves chassis platform performance.
Chassis braces and gussets are used all over to reduce the chassis bending moments when there is asymmetric dynamic chassis loading.
Whether is a S-class or a S-2000 Club Sport (which I just learned from Doug Demuro's video were unique to the CS)
It's not that hard to understand.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 500 Likes on 278 Posts
Holy shit this is a whole season of Jerry Springer in one thread, lol.

on that TH lap board, the real loser is the golf R. I’m hoping it was wet or really cold or something.

another lol at the TwinPower Turbo on the bmw engine, my brain kept trying to visualize some power ranger morph animation.

Oh, and I agree Tiger eye is a cool color, but I prefer the Blue one in the pics above.

Last edited by PhilB81; 08-03-2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:02 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by SRB-TL
Thank you for clearing up any reserve I had about your mental health issues you presented here: https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post16735858

I shall now answer and address each and every item you so coherently said:

Pretty funny coming from a delusional wanna be who knows little about what he's talking about...and NOW....you are a Dr. of Psychiatry!! LOL! You need the help. My write up were my thoughts based on what
I've experienced and watched...JUST LIKE YOU. So....IF I need "help" which I don't then you do too. Watch Paul and get a true honest perspective. He has no dog in the hunt.
Oh, I was on the Dean's list in college....so...gee...I guess that makes me kinda smart and wise. Unlike you of course. So damn funny.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
You guys continuing to harp on how bad the Type S when right now most are selling with ADM and 95% of reviewers like the car from the standpoint how 98% of the buyers will operate the vehicle seems to be just sour grapes. How about Acura is exploiting a niche in the marketplace that looks like they’re going to profit from. The folks that are buying the Type S probably aren’t putting much thought into there being faster or better track cars. I know I know that many here do; however, maybe you should accept that you, as important as you are to your families, are not Acura’s target market for this vehicle. Maybe that marketing wasn’t even meant for you and you ate it up like the good consumers you are. Any of you experts who thought that based on the vehicles HP and weight it was going to be a world beater are simply displaying your ignorance or using the performance stats as a way to carry on some long running vendetta you have against the TLX. I got burned like many of you with the last TLX, but I understand the circumstances under which that car was developed and after owning have a RDX and TLX-2 have been happy that I gave them another chance. Might be time to bury that hatchet and stop doing your best to insult people who have purchased or will soon be purchasing the vehicle. Enough already.
Interesting they sold some but how many? What was their target, did they meet the target, you haven't a clue because they are not going to tell anyone outside of the company. Only sour grapes around here are the goal-post movers like yourself who are creating new criteria the car can meet after it got its ass royally kicked in living color on the original set criteria. Remember the promotions shots of the Type-S in EUROPE running with the big dogs? The puppy did not even get to sniff their rumps.

The only people who thought it was going to be a world beater after the power/weight were released were the fans right here. I guess a lot of them did not believe the power rating. Read a lot of claims they were pulling a German & under rating it. The boys here were licking their chops when they found out it was to be run against the S4. Easy kill for the Type-S. the S4 slowest of the three, what could go wrong.

The naysayer group said it could not compete & would tank. Gotta admit it tanked more spectacularly than I thought it would. I figured a sedate 4.5 with the roll out. Its still a nice car but if you want to defend it as a player against what these cars are designed to do you will lose everytime. Maybe next time but not with the current shell. The engine has potential, the body is a dead end. To diet it enough you will drive the price way up with high end materials. The engine is already taking 15PSI from what I have read & have no idea how much overhead the engine has, but its poor on gas mileage. Not an easy thing to solve. They have built an inefficient engine. The M engines run 17.4PSI 473BHP & 18.9PSI for 503BHP. The B58 less.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilB81
Holy shit this is a whole season of Jerry Springer in one thread, lol.

on that TH lap board, the real loser is the golf R. I’m hoping it was wet or really cold or something.
Yea, I love me the Golf R and I'm surprised it did so poorly (it was warm and dry when they tested it). The only excuse I can come up with is it was two years ago and maybe he wasn't as accustomed to the track as he is now? Golf R has a better power to weight, and less overall weight, so you'd think it would be quicker. The Type-S does out do it in 0-60, 5-60 and quarter mile though, so Type-S definitely has more power under the curve to get it going. The new Golf R is on another level though, despite its "modest" power increase. CarWow did 0-60 in 4.03s and the quarter in 12.44s. That interior is an abomination though. It's touch-everything with almost no physical buttons.

The following users liked this post:
bilirubin (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 10:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Yea, I love me the Golf R and I'm surprised it did so poorly (it was warm and dry when they tested it). The only excuse I can come up with is it was two years ago and maybe he wasn't as accustomed to the track as he is now? Golf R has a better power to weight, and less overall weight, so you'd think it would be quicker. The Type-S does out do it in 0-60, 5-60 and quarter mile though, so Type-S definitely has more power under the curve to get it going. The new Golf R is on another level though, despite its "modest" power increase. CarWow did 0-60 in 4.03s and the quarter in 12.44s. That interior is an abomination though. It's touch-everything with almost no physical buttons.

omg the physical buttons need to come back! I’ve never driven or been in a Golf R, but a buddy had one at Autocross and that thing moved, but he did stuff to it, with that said though they seem to plow a lot. A guy down the street from me had a golf R and a focus RS. He ended up selling the R. His feedback was that the Golf interior was far better than the Focus, but the Focus was a lot more fun to drive and playful. He was also starting to see some issues with the transmission in the golf R. His was chipped as well. Anyways, it’s a bummer because it was cool to see those 2 side by side I’m a garage.
leomio2.0 (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 10:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
who rides around with their seatback down?

And it's folks like you and some others who are fascinated with the brace for some reason. And I've yet to see anyone say they're gonna die

As for the cheap stamped steel what do you think BMW uses?
Cheap stamped, rolled and seam welded steel tubes that are further stamped for end attachment , visible when the hood is open.

Some of you are kinda for Acura to use the bracing then like it's OK in my BMW or Audi (they use them to connect the strut towers to the firewall) which makes no sense at all.
It's there for chassis rigidity, if you don't know what that is there's plenty on the internet to explain it and why it improves chassis platform performance.
Chassis braces and gussets are used all over to reduce the chassis bending moments when there is asymmetric dynamic chassis loading.
Whether is a S-class or a S-2000 Club Sport (which I just learned from Doug Demuro's video were unique to the CS)
It's not that hard to understand.
Yeah I can see how that helped the Type-S out at TH. Just imagine if it wasn't there. Don't you just love my nice CNC braces that hide under the hood while the rest bits hide under the trim like all the good little braces & gussets should. Very appealing in the passenger compartment of a $54,000 car blocking full use of the fold down seats potential utility. But if it contributes to the blistering speed the car demonstrated around TH's track why not?
Old 08-03-2021, 10:30 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Interesting they sold some but how many? What was their target, did they meet the target, you haven't a clue because they are not going to tell anyone outside of the company. Only sour grapes around here are the goal-post movers like yourself who are creating new criteria the car can meet after it got its ass royally kicked in living color on the original set criteria. Remember the promotions shots of the Type-S in EUROPE running with the big dogs? The puppy did not even get to sniff their rumps.

The only people who thought it was going to be a world beater after the power/weight were released were the fans right here. I guess a lot of them did not believe the power rating. Read a lot of claims they were pulling a German & under rating it. The boys here were licking their chops when they found out it was to be run against the S4. Easy kill for the Type-S. the S4 slowest of the three, what could go wrong.

The naysayer group said it could not compete & would tank. Gotta admit it tanked more spectacularly than I thought it would. I figured a sedate 4.5 with the roll out. Its still a nice car but if you want to defend it as a player against what these cars are designed to do you will lose everytime. Maybe next time but not with the current shell. The engine has potential, the body is a dead end. To diet it enough you will drive the price way up with high end materials. The engine is already taking 15PSI from what I have read & have no idea how much overhead the engine has, but its poor on gas mileage. Not an easy thing to solve. They have built an inefficient engine. The M engines run 17.4PSI 473BHP & 18.9PSI for 503BHP. The B58 less.
6T gas mileage averages

Acura Type S - 21
Audi S4 - 24
BMW M340i - 25
Cadillac CT5 - 21
Genesis G70 - 20
KIA Stinger - 20
Mercedes E450 - 26

Old 08-03-2021, 10:34 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Clear this right up front "everyday driving sports sedan". What's this a new definition? There is a Sports Sedan period. That is the whole definition these are no sub definitions for cars that don't make the cut. So as a sports sedan looking at the TH chart what does it do better than the 21 cars that finished in front of it? Its can't even match some on gas mileage.

Why are you and Acura at the opposite ends of the spectrum in what they say they are selling & what you say they are selling? You have claimed a lot that you know their REAL intention in building this car, how do you know that when the marketing department did not get the same memo you did? Just because what the car actually does will not standup to what Acura says it is does can't be used to say it was never their intent to build an actual sports sedan. It just means they failed to make what the said they would for how many years now?

There are sports sedans & there are grocery getters, the vid says the Type-S is a grocery getter with pretensions. Sam's vids say its slow against the slow German car. TH doubled down on that & showed again its slow compared to the slow German car. It does nothing at all better in the sports sedan area better that the real sports sedans its an advertising created wannabe.

You say it gets through the curves much quicker but out of 25 cars tested it placed 22. The only cars it got through the curves much quicker than were a VW Golf-R 315BHP, Hyundai Veloster N 275bhp & a Mazda MX-5 181BHP.

"IF sliding the rear out is how you want your kicks" just check out your nearest Acura TLX-Type-S advertisement to find yours. But don't expect to be able to do it in real life without pulling some fuses. The TLX-S does not break loose in the corners because it plows. Not the fast way through either see #22 in the grid.

BTW what does the idea you had some Mustangs got to do with this? THought this was pretty funny with a guy who claims no track interest & wants street livability in a car.

Mustang GT
You can dial it up with the $6,295 GT Performance Package if you want to, adding sports suspension and all manner of performance accouterments like upgraded brakes, a larger radiator, and special bracing, but it's not as livable every day and makes it a harsher, more uncompromising track-focused machine, especially since the MagneRide adaptive dampers not included in this package. For everyday driving, the standard GT is perfect and arguably the best of all its natural US rivals.
Oh boy...you are quite the narcissist!! Do you think you are EVER wrong???? Somehow you think you are always right, know everything, have more money than all of us, and know more about cars than anyone here....
AND you get off cramming it down our throats about BMW's and the like. You're not here for info to contribute to an Acura forum. You're here to bloviate about yourself. That's been evident for some time.

NOW...Mr. know it all......you commented on my '21 Mustang GT, Perf. Pack 1 car. Here you seem to know it all. BUT....you are very wrong. So, tell me....how do you know my car does not have Mag ride???
Come on...in front of us all....tell us how you came up with that "definitive statement".....from the Ford web site and looked up Perf. Pack???? That's a start....but, you aren't as smart as you think.

MY car has Mag ride...WHY....'cause I optioned it....idiot. And this car rides so damn good...and does change depending on what drive mode you are in. So, Sport and Sport + of course it stiffens up....but, on the
other end of the scale it takes the harshness out very well. I should know....I've had 11 other Mustang GT's to compare to!! The PP1 car is NOT a true "track car"...special yes. It does NOT have a cooler for
the trans, rear end...both essential for "true track driving".....OH...that's right...you know ALL about that huh? LOL! IF you truly knew about the different Mustangs and configurations you would know that it
wasn't made to be a "track car." Fun to drive maybe on the track, but, not really in competition...sure, why not. 6 piston Brembos are great, handling is there...due to the chassis bracing and up graded
components over the std GT. But, of course you knew all that....right???? LOL!!! You're a BMW, Audi, MB lover....so spend your time there. Unless they got tired of your self serving BS.
NOW....know it all, you have been schooled on this issue of doing lousy "homework" and
thinking you know every damn thing about everyone here. This is the problem with communicated via writing and NOT truly knowing who the hell you are communicating with, and GUESSING about what they
know, have, have done, experiences in life, etc. WE sure know about you...SINCE YOU ABSOLUTELY LOVE....TELLING US DAILY. Feeds your ego and narcissism.

My major was Education...my minor...Human Behavior. Your "behavior" when it comes to being here is bloviating about how great you are with cars, money, etc. Getting really old. You need to find a hobby that
actually keeps you busy. And not boring us daily with the same old stuff about your life. Or...past life. I don't expect an apology...'cause you have NO CLASS or decency....it's all about you...and YOU need fixed.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 08-03-2021 at 10:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
Honda430 (08-03-2021), Jim2301 (08-06-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 10:49 PM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Got you. The car is really a piece of crap and Acura is paying reviewers to praise it. Okay, makes sense. Damn that was so simple. Thank you once again for your wisdom.
Happy to help. I enjoy slinging red pills.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:51 PM
®

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Pretty funny coming from a delusional wanna be who knows little about what he's talking about...and NOW....you are a Dr. of Psychiatry!! LOL! You need the help. My write up were my thoughts based on what
I've experienced and watched...JUST LIKE YOU. So....IF I need "help" which I don't then you do too. Watch Paul and get a true honest perspective. He has no dog in the hunt.
Oh, I was on the Dean's list in college....so...gee...I guess that makes me kinda smart and wise. Unlike you of course. So damn funny.
Hey man, I'm slinging mad volumes and fat stacking Benji's. I can't be all about getting help and shit.
BEAR-AvHistory (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 12:35 AM
Suzuka Master

6T gas mileage averages

Acura Type S - 21 355BHP
Audi S4 - 24 -
BMW M340i - 25
Cadillac CT5 - 21
Genesis G70 - 20
KIA Stinger - 20
Mercedes E450 - 26

Nice, so it looks to be the least efficient engine based on power to fuel usage. Why did you post this?

Acura Type S - 21 355BHP
Audi S4 - 24 - 349BHP
BMW M340i - 25 - 383BHP
Cadillac CT5 - 21 - 360BHP
Genesis G70 - 20 - 21 - 365BHP/358BHP
KIA Stinger - 20 - 365BHP
Mercedes E450 - 26 - 362BHP
Old 08-04-2021, 12:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Oh boy...you are quite the narcissist!! Do you think you are EVER wrong???? Somehow you think you are always right, know everything, have more money than all of us, and know more about cars than anyone here....
AND you get off cramming it down our throats about BMW's and the like. You're not here for info to contribute to an Acura forum. You're here to bloviate about yourself. That's been evident for some time.

NOW...Mr. know it all......you commented on my '21 Mustang GT, Perf. Pack 1 car. Here you seem to know it all. BUT....you are very wrong. So, tell me....how do you know my car does not have Mag ride???
Come on...in front of us all....tell us how you came up with that "definitive statement".....from the Ford web site and looked up Perf. Pack???? That's a start....but, you aren't as smart as you think.

MY car has Mag ride...WHY....'cause I optioned it....idiot. And this car rides so damn good...and does change depending on what drive mode you are in. So, Sport and Sport + of course it stiffens up....but, on the
other end of the scale it takes the harshness out very well. I should know....I've had 11 other Mustang GT's to compare to!! The PP1 car is NOT a true "track car"...special yes. It does NOT have a cooler for
the trans, rear end...both essential for "true track driving".....OH...that's right...you know ALL about that huh? LOL! IF you truly knew about the different Mustangs and configurations you would know that it
wasn't made to be a "track car." Fun to drive maybe on the track, but, not really in competition...sure, why not. 6 piston Brembos are great, handling is there...due to the chassis bracing and up graded
components over the std GT. But, of course you knew all that....right???? LOL!!! You're a BMW, Audi, MB lover....so spend your time there. Unless they got tired of your self serving BS.
NOW....know it all, you have been schooled on this issue of doing lousy "homework" and
thinking you know every damn thing about everyone here. This is the problem with communicated via writing and NOT truly knowing who the hell you are communicating with, and GUESSING about what they
know, have, have done, experiences in life, etc. WE sure know about you...SINCE YOU ABSOLUTELY LOVE....TELLING US DAILY. Feeds your ego and narcissism.

My major was Education...my minor...Human Behavior. Your "behavior" when it comes to being here is bloviating about how great you are with cars, money, etc. Getting really old. You need to find a hobby that
actually keeps you busy. And not boring us daily with the same old stuff about your life. Or...past life. I don't expect an apology...'cause you have NO CLASS or decency....it's all about you...and YOU need fixed.
Having a bad day are we. Its a good plan not to get so over wrought over what is posted on the internet. Take a deep breath then go for a nice walk around the block. When you get back you might want to try some soothing far eastern meditation. Get a can of car polish & go to your Mustang. Then wipe it on - wipe it off -wipe it on - wipe it off. You will feel so much more relaxed & better when its all done.
The following 3 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
ELIN (08-04-2021), loki (08-04-2021), pyrodan007 (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 01:29 AM
Pro

Nice, so it looks to be the least efficient engine based on power to fuel usage. Why did you post this?

Acura Type S - 21 355BHP
Audi S4 - 24 - 349BHP
BMW M340i - 25 - 383BHP
Genesis G70 - 20 - 21 - 365BHP/358BHP
KIA Stinger - 20 - 365BHP

If you compare based on HP the only difference is that BMW goes to number 1 over the Merc. All the other spots are unchanged. Koreans are at the bottom with Acura and Cadillac essentially tied. Yes the Germans are the clear winners here yet the fuel savings probably gets eaten up in long term maintenance costs and initial buy-in.
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
bilirubin (08-04-2021), djhtsx (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 08:39 AM
Suzuka Master

If you compare based on HP the only difference is that BMW goes to number 1 over the Merc. All the other spots are unchanged. Koreans are at the bottom with Acura and Cadillac essentially tied. Yes the Germans are the clear winners here yet the fuel savings probably gets eaten up in long term maintenance costs and initial buy-in.
Think we are looking at it differently. I am looking at the fuel used verses advertised horsepower. I would rank them:

BMW M340i - 25 - 382BHP
Audi S4 - 24 - 349BHP

KIA Stinger - 20 - 365BHP - Genesis G70 - 20 - 365BHP
Genesis G70 - 21 -358BHP - Acura Type S - 21 355BHP

Don't think the initial buyers of the German cars are worrying about long term. Expect most are turned over in 3/5 years. Driving an old premium car for 10 years unless its something special is something I really don't see much of. I have only driven 2 long term the 2004 330/ZHP 10 years & still have the 2013 135is about 9 years. Trucks are keepers to me the Expedition had 14 years before it was gone & still have the Ranger which is 23 years old.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-04-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:21 AM
Pro

Think we are looking at it differently. I am looking at the fuel used verses advertised horsepower. I would rank them:

BMW M340i - 25 - 382BHP
Audi S4 - 24 - 349BHP

KIA Stinger - 20 - 365BHP - Genesis G70 - 20 - 365BHP
Genesis G70 - 21 -358BHP - Acura Type S - 21 355BHP

Don't think the initial buyers of the German cars are worrying about long term. Expect most are turned over in 3/5 years. Driving an old premium car for 10 years unless its something special is something I really don't see much of. I have only driven 2 long term the 2004 330/ZHP 10 years & still have the 2013 135is about 9 years. Trucks are keepers to me the Expedition had 14 years before it was gone & still have the Ranger which is 23 years old.
You’re looking at it wrong. G70 has roughly 3% more HP than a Type S, but gets 5% less fuel economy. To be honest with all these cars the fuel economy is relatively so close that at 10k miles annually from worst to first is only going to save you about $40 a month.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:34 AM
Suzuka Master

You’re looking at it wrong. G70 has roughly 3% more HP than a Type S, but gets 5% less fuel economy. To be honest with all these cars the fuel economy is relatively so close that at 10k miles annually from worst to first is only going to save you about $40 a month.
Numbers only matters to the EPA fleet requirements. I hate percentages because they are a slippery slope at playing games. Guys sells one car this week & 2 next week he has a 100% gain. Another guy sells 10 this week & 15 next week his gain is only 50%. Who did better?

For 1 MPG the G70 gaines 10BHP on the Type-S. IMHO a very nice trade. The other G70 @ 358BHP number is a wash to me so I did not put the 355BHP TLX-S dead last.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-04-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:56 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
We tend to keep ours a long time. My wife put 432K miles on her first Accord. I kept my '88 XJ-S Hess & Eisenhardt convertible (V-12 w/Tremec 5MT) as my daily driver for over 18 years, my '07 TL Type-S 6MT is still my daily driver after almost 14 years, our '03 Suburban K1500 is still the general purpose tow/hauler and I still have the Series III E-Type I bought new in '74. I think we seem to be operating on the same page.

I expected to swap my old Type-S for a new one this year, but my disappointment has cancelled that plan. Now I'm considering a BMW for the first time. I really liked it after driving a 5 series. My problem is an inability the settle for less, which is driving me (no pun intended) towards the M550i. Looking at my choices, I'm like a kid in a candy store.
04WDPSeDaN (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mike03a3
We tend to keep ours a long time. My wife put 432K miles on her first Accord. I kept my '88 XJ-S Hess & Eisenhardt convertible (V-12 w/Tremec 5MT) as my daily driver for over 18 years, my '07 TL Type-S 6MT is still my daily driver after almost 14 years, our '03 Suburban K1500 is still the general purpose tow/hauler and I still have the Series III E-Type I bought new in '74. I think we seem to be operating on the same page.

I expected to swap my old Type-S for a new one this year, but my disappointment has cancelled that plan. Now I'm considering a BMW for the first time. I really liked it after driving a 5 series. My problem is an inability the settle for less, which is driving me (no pun intended) towards the M550i. Looking at my choices, I'm like a kid in a candy store.
That car is a real peach, good choice. If we still had kids in the house would most likely have one in the driveway. My two longest were a '67 StingRay Coupe from '67 to '90. The other was a '81 Datsun 280ZX T top that I bought at a liquidation auction in '82. Converted (pun intended) it into a convertible. Stored the car when I lived in England for 8 years at my brother in laws ranch till I came home. Donated it to Make a Wish in 2013 when I bought the Factory Five Cobra kit & needed the garage space to hold the parts while I built it..
Old 08-04-2021, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts

True story: While house shopping over the weekend, we pulled up behind an M550i. Told her that it’s probably my favorite sports sedan at this moment. Her reply: you should have purchased that instead. (She’s not particularly a car person but, that brand’s bling factor gets her attention…. esp the 5-series.)
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
04WDPSeDaN (08-04-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 12:54 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts

That's a bad ass sedan... I'll be jelly for sure
Old 08-04-2021, 01:00 PM
AZ Community Team

Yeah I can see how that helped the Type-S out at TH. Just imagine if it wasn't there. Don't you just love my nice CNC braces that hide under the hood while the rest bits hide under the trim like all the good little braces & gussets should. Very appealing in the passenger compartment of a $54,000 car blocking full use of the fold down seats potential utility. But if it contributes to the blistering speed the car demonstrated around TH's track why not?
1) You nor I have any clue as to what the performance aspect to the extra bracing made. Probably some engineers at Honda/Acura know but I'm extremely doubtful they're on these forums.
2) The braces look neat and cool, but are they actually better in tension or bending yield strength and torsional rigidity performance than the OEM steel tubes? Was it cast metal (guessing aluminum) or forged? Did the company provide any info?
3) Problem with the WH review is they admit to yanking and blowing fuses on the previous 2G TLX, like they know more than the engineers who created it. Then in the Type-S test they show flashing and solid warning lights for the various vehicle dynamic systems, so who knows what they were doing with the various electronic systems. So I'm kinda skeptical to their semi-serious semi-funny You-Tube friendly approach to vehicle testing. Car & Driver, AoA, SG, and Matt Moran all gave very positive reviews for the 2G TLX while WH lambast it while admitting it was giving all sorts of warnings because they messed with it while driving it.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
It’s incredibly impressive that a single YouTube video can generate so much commentary from people who for the most part have no intention whatsoever of buying the car that’s tested in that video.

I just mostly laugh at the Type S but even I would have to admit these YouTube “automotive journalists” are not people any of us should be taking advice from when it comes to car-buying decisions.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:44 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
3) Problem with the WH review is they admit to yanking and blowing fuses on the previous 2G TLX, like they know more than the engineers who created it. Then in the Type-S test they show flashing and solid warning lights for the various vehicle dynamic systems, so who knows what they were doing with the various electronic systems. So I'm kinda skeptical to their semi-serious semi-funny You-Tube friendly approach to vehicle testing. Car & Driver, AoA, SG, and Matt Moran all gave very positive reviews for the 2G TLX while WH lambast it while admitting it was giving all sorts of warnings because they messed with it while driving it.
If you watched their review of the 2.0 TLX, then you know that yanking the fuse was the only way to defeat the traction control. Pressing the traction control "off" didn't actually turn it off. Must be an "on purpose" safety feature by Acura. It would probably drive me crazy if I was stuck in a parking lot surrounded by snow.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ELIN
If you watched their review of the 2.0 TLX, then you know that yanking the fuse was the only way to defeat the traction control. Pressing the traction control "off" didn't actually turn it off. Must be an "on purpose" safety feature by Acura. It would probably drive me crazy if I was stuck in a parking lot surrounded by snow.
Would you not think that the same problem would exist with the Type S? Odds are they again pulled the fuses since they did not say how they turned off the traction control.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:06 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Would you not think that the same problem would exist with the Type S? Odds are they again pulled the fuses since they did not say how they turned off the traction control.
I don't think they were allowed to do that with the Type S this time around. In all honesty, it's not worth me watching the video again to find out.

The Type S holds very little interest for me at this point...
Old 08-04-2021, 02:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Yeah, that was the point trying to circumvent part of the VSA then whine about the handling makes no sense.

Kinda like when GT-R chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno talked about people who'd tell him they knew more about extracting more performance, his witty response was something like "sure you do"

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-04-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Pro

I don't think they were allowed to do that with the Type S this time around. In all honesty, it's not worth me watching the video again to find out.

I watched the 15 seconds of the video in question which took a total of about 30 seconds to find and watch. They did not say how they turned off the traction control. They simply stated it was off. Odds are they again pulled fuses except this time they kept quiet about it.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:49 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlandtlx
FWIW, the Type S is faster than the fastest Accord....by a large margin.
But not really much quicker to 60 than the Sonata N-Line, only ties the N-Line in the 1/4 mi and gets beat by the N-Line in the roll and to 100 mph.

Imagine if Hyundai had stuck an LSD into the N-Line like they should have done.

The thing is, the Type S is the one with the new engine and chassis.

The next G70 will get the upgrade to the 3.5TT and a new, lighter weight platform.

Last edited by YEH; 08-04-2021 at 05:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by YEH:
04WDPSeDaN (08-04-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
6T gas mileage averages

Acura Type S - 21
Audi S4 - 24
BMW M340i - 25
Cadillac CT5 - 21
Genesis G70 - 20
KIA Stinger - 20
Mercedes E450 - 26
Not beating up on the Type S but the Acura TLX in general has some pretty terrible fuel economy with sh-awd. I could get 23/24 in my 18 V6 SH-AWD TLX just driving around being very light on the pedal. In the S5 I easily get 24/25 just driving around being pretty aggressive and using the power and if not so aggressive but still harder than the Acura 28 is pretty easy hit. Not highway but not true city either. It may not seem like much but around a 20% gain or more is nice. Just not sure why the Acura consumes so much more gas than the Audi/BMW's. Granted I never even looked at mpg numbers really that much when buying either so I was pretty surprised it was so much different in real world use and would have been fine with mpg similar to my last TLX. Reports from those on here that bought the type S from what I have read are some numbers lower than EPA estimates (below even 20 mpg). Anyway, it is what it is and nobody is buying a "performance" car and being light on the gas pedal for long. The one makeup on the 18 Acura was that it ran fine on regular and was not a premium required car but even with premium that last gen V6 was a slow car.

Maintenance cost Acura will be cheaper I agree but I don't think it is as big of a gap as some think.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:21 PM
®

Originally Posted by F23A4
True story: While house shopping over the weekend, we pulled up behind an M550i. Told her that it’s probably my favorite sports sedan at this moment. Her reply: you should have purchased that instead. (She’s not particularly a car person but, that brand’s bling factor gets her attention…. esp the 5-series.)
Try the same with a hot girl in a line at the store. Maybe she'll laugh. Maybe you'll die. 😂
Old 08-04-2021, 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

1) You nor I have any clue as to what the performance aspect to the extra bracing made. Probably some engineers at Honda/Acura know but I'm extremely doubtful they're on these forums.
2) The braces look neat and cool, but are they actually better in tension or bending yield strength and torsional rigidity performance than the OEM steel tubes? Was it cast metal (guessing aluminum) or forged? Did the company provide any info?
Point was would it make any noticeable difference like the car finishing in last place without the brace. Since it appears to bolt in maybe one of the new owners here could make some with & without runs to see if it changes lap times.

TH got called out the first time & would not put the show at risk by doing it again with all the Honda boys ready to nail them. Some of the guys are hoping & praying based on its poor performance against the expectations that Honda built up for the past few years that they pulled a fuse. That right up there with all the FB craziness when Sam killed it with the S4 after the S4 "lost" at Laguna Seca. Since it lost at Laguna Seca there was no way the S4 could have beaten the Type-S so badly without some monkey business. Wonder if the TH guys used the same tricked out S4 that Sam did when they did the drag race with the same result that Sam got?

If it was off they pushed the button & it was off as much as Hondas software would allow it. More track oriented cars have a two stage deal. Push the button & it partially defeats the system. Push & hold for 10 seconds & it shuts it down. Others have a master shut down button or menu set.

As all of you have said this is not a track oriented car & the test showed that the guys are correct even if you do not want to believe it now. Model likely more runs to follow

Did Car & Driver, AoA, SG, and Matt Moran ever test it against the clock or head to head at a road course? I expect most of the YouTube friends are the ones for whom Honda put track pads in the reveal cars so according to the story the auto testing expert "journalists" would not hurt themselves. If the C&D review was any further back in the magazine it would have been past the back cover. It got almost one whole page of narrative. Never saw such a skimpy report on an new model.

Don't understand why you asked if the strut bars are castings. I said they were CNC machined billets. For me cosmetic, car will see very little hard time on the track. Only two charity runs at VIR so far, car not pushed all that much. 110/115mph in a normal140mph zone. Did not like the strut tubes so the were gone. The Supra did not have any support for the first two years. They now run the tubes or bars. Don't believe the 4 cylinder Z4 or Supra have them.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wow, I thought I held onto stuff, I can learn from you good sir, well done!
<shortRant> does it annoy you guys that there is a friggin M badge on nearly everything BMW other than the base model, or that’s just my malfunction </shortRant>

Yeah, that was the point trying to circumvent part of the VSA then whine about the handling makes no sense.

Kinda like when GT-R chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno talked about people who'd tell him they knew more about extracting more performance, his witty response was something like "sure you do"
I don’t think me meant to go faster he just wanted the thing to pivot n play.
I dislike systems that can’t be fully deactivated, however convoluted procedure is, there should be one that doesn’t involve pulling fuses. Even on a RR, Maybach or Bentley, you should be allowed to disable that stuff… But if your car has things that say Turbo, or Vtec or Type-S or sport… yeah disabling the nannies, to me, becomes pretty much part of the package.
to your point about the R35 GT-R, it’s a super well engineered machine and an amazing platform for mods and speed, but I would never own one. But, I completely agree they are there to make cars faster. If they didn’t, F1 wouldn’t have to ban them, but sometimes I’m trying to have fun, not set a lap record.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:07 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by YEH
But not really much quicker to 60 than the Sonata N-Line, only ties the N-Line in the 1/4 mi and gets beat by the N-Line in the roll and to 100 mph.

Imagine if Hyundai had stuck an LSD into the N-Line like they should have done.

The thing is, the Type S is the one with the new engine and chassis.

The next G70 will get the upgrade to the 3.5TT and a new, lighter weight platform.
How does the Veloster N compare to the Sonata N Line? It looks like the Veloster N is 0.2 quicker from 0-60 and 1/4 Mile compared to the Sonata N, yet according to this Throttle House video, loses to a TLX Type S by 2 full seconds around the track?

Does that mean the Type S is a decent handling car around the track given it's "lackluster" acceleration numbers, or is the N line just total garbage on track. Probably a combination of both.
Looking further, the Veloster N is actually quicker than the Type S in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile according to (comparing C&D vs C&D), so it losing to the Type S by 2 seconds says something...
Old 08-04-2021, 10:14 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
does it annoy you guys that there is a friggin M badge on nearly everything BMW other than the base model, or just my malfunction
It doesn’t bother me since I’m not a BMW fanboy [yet]😀. If I could, I’d leave off all the badges, including the 550, and let them figure out it’s fast as the rear gets smaller in the distance.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Did got back.... they did not pull the fuse, Japan yanked their chain for the first time. Car just kept understeering with what ever it gave them after they pushed the button. Was just lets see what happens not the lap run. They also did what's called a peddle dance to unlock drift mode which did disable the traction system, no change in behavior still understeered.

For the timed laps car had its regular performance settings. They thought the brakes were weak but that seems to be common going back for me personally to my 2006 TL, 6MT, LSD, Brembo braked, summer tire option. Stopped well after I put some HAWK pads in it. They also repeated the drag race with an S4 same result as with Sam about a 7 car length lead for the S4.

So no joy for the conspiracy theorists that TH tanked the test.....Though it was a nice car but if you want to play get a 330i M-Sport for the same money.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:27 PM
Suzuka Master

While looking into it something else came up. One of the guys went a little nutz last night & trying to re-read it found out we actually had a point of agreement.

He was absolutely 100% correct in stating that the Mustang GT PPI wasn't made to be a "track car." even though its a solid 1 second + quicker than the TLX-S

Old 08-04-2021, 10:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
There’s only m badges on cars that are M performance. It’s not just an appearance package. They are M lite cars with actual M parts. I’ve seen some on other car forums call them “fake” badges. How can they be fake when BMW themselves put them on there and engineered the car in their M performance division. It’s not like slapping on M badges on a 328. An M340 or M235 will blow away most cars. Nothing fake or poser about them.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
There’s only m badges on cars that are M performance. It’s not just an appearance package. They are M lite cars with actual M parts. I’ve seen some on other car forums call them “fake” badges. How can they be fake when BMW themselves put them on there and engineered the car in their M performance division. It’s not like slapping on M badges on a 328. An M340 or M235 will blow away most cars. Nothing fake or poser about them.
It may not be a fake badge, but it's still not a real M car . They can call it whatever they want, but in the eyes of enthusiasts it's still a mid-range performance model and not the real deal.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:00 AM
Suzuka Master

<shortRant> does it annoy you guys that there is a friggin M badge on nearly everything BMW other than the base model, or that’s just my malfunction </shortRant>
Nope, we have real M daughters car, a fake M my car, & a no M the 135is. Some of the purests get upset but can't see the point. Purests also get upset that my Cobra replica has a COYOTE engine & not old 427 FORD. There are always people who will manage to get upset over something or other. Life is to short not to enjoy it the way you want as long as you cause no harm.

BMW has had 4 levels for a pretty long time now, Base, M-Sport, M-Performance & M. Today the 135is would be listed as a M135. They are just naming conventions. People familiar with the brand know what they are & those not familiar just see BMW the rest is meaningless.

Quick Reply: Throttle House reviews the TLX-S