Throttle House reviews the TLX-S

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 10:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Like the custom German Front. Trying to get my daughter to think about letting me do hers. Might not fly because of the special paint. That said not many will see the front.
As some say, you can't see the front of the car while driving it, lol. It's a helluva machine ...
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-02-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 10:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
The front still looks like a gopher or pig snout. No amount of lipstick will fix that. It needs a heavy dose of cosmetic surgery.
Would have waited for one but for the little piggy grill. Went for a car with the traditional version. That says after she kicks my butt a few times might change my mind in '23.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.

This is NOT a race car....NOT a track car.....and NOT meant to be everything to all, esp those that think it should have 500 hp and thus isn't worthy. Most, want to move this car "out
of it's lane"....the "lane" is where Acura puts a vehicle when it is designed and built. Too many on here want it to be in another lane! Is the S4 quicker....sure by a little....but, so what??!!
It is just over 300 lbs lighter. That IS a factor whether you Audi fan boys think it's not...then you don't know much about cars, speed, acc. times, etc.
What it does do well....and Paul pointed this out....AFTER he drove the white S4.....are so many areas with the ride, interior comfort, classier interior, more modern int. layout and materials, etc.
It does more things well than the Audi at....a much lower price point than a comp. equipped Audi.
I actually agree with most of your points. The car will suit many people just fine. As for interior comfort, layout and more modern to Audi I don't get that. One thing I found on the Audi (S5 here but S4 is pretty much the same) is that the interior layout is just really thought out well. Stalk for cruise control is just the right spot where you don't have to even look to engage it or turn it on first, extra multi function volume knob (also track fwd/back) to the right of the shifter so you never have to look away from the road, just naturally right at your finger tips. It has a shift lever right where it should be (some mare prefer buttons like the Acura but I never liked not having the lever in our Acuras) so you can tap it back quickly to jump into sport mode super fast without taking your eyes off the road fumbling for a button or tap the shift lever over right to engage manual shift control bumping the lever up or down to change gear. The placement and ease of use of the controls is something that I appreciated right away over Acura's ecosystem. The digital dash with multiple display modes is pretty damn modern, also head up display and the 360 Camera is nice. Massaging seats for comfort. Granted the Type S is less extensive but doesn't offer all those features so you are getting more along with being faster, better braking and much better on fuel consumption.

Styling wise the Acura has a meaner look but styling appeal is subjective. I actually like the type S overall and once it gets some incentives I see pretty good value in it if it checks off your boxes.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
100% agree. Supposedly the massive grille was to appease the Chinese market. I don't understand, with how big of a brand BMW is, why they couldn't simply have the M3/M4 look the way it does in China, and give the rest of the world a more traditional BMW look. I'd hope that in 2-3yrs that they'd refresh the look and do away with the grille, but with how arrogant BMW execs can be, I doubt it will happen. The head designer has staunchly stated "you can't please everyone" and something to the tune of, 'well, actually, 1 in 5 people surveyed actually like the big grille' ... as if that were a good thing. I'm sure the engineering team behind the wonderful machine that is the G8x M3/M4 want to wring the necks of the design team. I wonder if it's the same story in the Acura camp between the engineering team and marketing team ...

I mean, you can't tell me the real M4 looks better than this ...
That looks a lot better. The stock grill look is difficult to get past. I saw in another forum one guy that was considering buying the car was thinking of getting black to make the grill blend in more. Makes the Acura beak of years past no so bad.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Exactly right! This car wasn't made FOR the track...it's a great "everyday driving sports sedan" that does many things well, and in many areas better than it's immediate competition.
It's not always about .2 of a second, or how much the rear "slides or drifts".....Acura designed this version of SH-Awd so that it DOESN'T break loose when pushed hard in the corner.
These guys were idiots and don't know what the hell they are talking about. I watched the video, since I tend to watch them all and then evaluate. I've owned many Acuras...and high
perf. cars.
I thought these guys are nuts. IF sliding the rear out is how you want your kicks...then find a car that will. The Type S was NOT designed to give you that. It stays planted and
gets through the curves much quicker BECAUSE of it's AWD system. Geeezzz
Clear this right up front "everyday driving sports sedan". What's this a new definition? There is a Sports Sedan period. That is the whole definition these are no sub definitions for cars that don't make the cut. So as a sports sedan looking at the TH chart what does it do better than the 21 cars that finished in front of it? Its can't even match some on gas mileage.

Why are you and Acura at the opposite ends of the spectrum in what they say they are selling & what you say they are selling? You have claimed a lot that you know their REAL intention in building this car, how do you know that when the marketing department did not get the same memo you did? Just because what the car actually does will not standup to what Acura says it is does can't be used to say it was never their intent to build an actual sports sedan. It just means they failed to make what the said they would for how many years now?

There are sports sedans & there are grocery getters, the vid says the Type-S is a grocery getter with pretensions. Sam's vids say its slow against the slow German car. TH doubled down on that & showed again its slow compared to the slow German car. It does nothing at all better in the sports sedan area better that the real sports sedans its an advertising created wannabe.

You say it gets through the curves much quicker but out of 25 cars tested it placed 22. The only cars it got through the curves much quicker than were a VW Golf-R 315BHP, Hyundai Veloster N 275bhp & a Mazda MX-5 181BHP.

"IF sliding the rear out is how you want your kicks" just check out your nearest Acura TLX-Type-S advertisement to find yours. But don't expect to be able to do it in real life without pulling some fuses. The TLX-S does not break loose in the corners because it plows. Not the fast way through either see #22 in the grid.

BTW what does the idea you had some Mustangs got to do with this? THought this was pretty funny with a guy who claims no track interest & wants street livability in a car.

Mustang GT
You can dial it up with the $6,295 GT Performance Package if you want to, adding sports suspension and all manner of performance accouterments like upgraded brakes, a larger radiator, and special bracing, but it's not as livable every day and makes it a harsher, more uncompromising track-focused machine, especially since the MagneRide adaptive dampers not included in this package. For everyday driving, the standard GT is perfect and arguably the best of all its natural US rivals.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-02-2021 at 12:31 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
04WDPSeDaN (08-02-2021), Buckeye_Steve (08-02-2021), someguy11 (08-02-2021), vhtran (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 01:01 AM
Suzuka Master

This is NOT a race car....NOT a track car.....and NOT meant to be everything to all, esp those that think it should have 500 hp and thus isn't worthy. Most, want to move this car "out of it's lane"....the "lane" is where Acura puts a vehicle when it is designed and built. Too many on here want it to be in another lane! Is the S4 quicker....sure by a little....but, so what??!! It is just over 300 lbs lighter. That IS a factor whether you Audi fan boys think it's not...then you don't know much about cars, speed, acc. times, etc.
Almost missed this one in all the words you put up.

You keep saying this but you are just making up a load of male bovine fodder byproducts. You have NO freakin knowledge of what Acura did in the designing & building this car. You are just making it up to suit your excuse for it showing up so badly when going head to head with cars like the S4 & G70. You are trying to tell us that we need to understand that Acura never really meant for the Type-S to run with a G-70 or a S4. Your problem & the problem of many of the guys is the "lane" turned out to be the one to the supermarket

BTW The Audi was not just a little quicker - 7 car lengths is not just a little quicker.....the words the driver used was the S4 "crushed" the Type-S. You say stuff like that a little quicker on a 7 car length beat down & all creditability goes right down the toilet. Both cars in the same frame at the finish like would be a little quicker. Interesting as he said before the race quoting Acura verbiage this is the Type-S with blistering speed. That must mean the S4 runs at Warp Speed. Only thing got blistered was the Hype surrounding the car.

End of the vid what to buy - 330 with M-performance.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-02-2021 at 01:13 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
04WDPSeDaN (08-02-2021), ELIN (08-02-2021), loki (08-02-2021), pyrodan007 (08-02-2021), silverTL6 (08-11-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 06:26 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Thanks brotha! It's good to hear from you. Long are the days that Acura has made anything as what captured us like the 3rd gen TL. I'm one of the last OG's with a minty fresh 3rd gen. I rarely use it. I debate selling it at the 20 year old mark. My wife told me to get an F80 or the G80 M3. I haven't decided as it's not important right now as I plan on finishing the exterior reno work on my house. Currently my back yard and concrete walkways on both sides are ripped up. Getting new drainage and fresh concrete top. Next is leveling my driveway pavers and finishing stone work over the brick. This is the most recent uncovered photos of my TL. About 2 months ago. It got another paint correction and coating. Had a few very minor misc dings removed at the same time. I didn't put on the WORKS this year, as I won't enjoy it anyway.

That's a beautiful car! Hang on to her as long as you can. I had a buddy at work a couple years ago who was still driving his 2003 Accord V6 EX-L coupe with a MT. Basically mint condition. He put in the work to keep her that way. Daily driver, but only 100k miles since he lived like 4 miles from work. Went to trade it in and was only offered like $3,000. What a joke. I told him no way, I'd buy it for that before the dealer gets their hands on it. He ended up listing it himself and getting like $8,000. There is a reason people are seeking cars like his and yours out. They are quality, reliable, fun and worth more in sentimental value than any book or website can factor.
The following 2 users liked this post by someguy11:
04WDPSeDaN (08-02-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 06:48 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11
That's a beautiful car! Hang on to her as long as you can. I had a buddy at work a couple years ago who was still driving his 2003 Accord V6 EX-L coupe with a MT. Basically mint condition. He put in the work to keep her that way. Daily driver, but only 100k miles since he lived like 4 miles from work. Went to trade it in and was only offered like $3,000. What a joke. I told him no way, I'd buy it for that before the dealer gets their hands on it. He ended up listing it himself and getting like $8,000. There is a reason people are seeking cars like his and yours out. They are quality, reliable, fun and worth more in sentimental value than any book or website can factor.
Thank you brotha! Means a lot. I've had a lot of people tell me not to sell this car because it's near show room condition. This has been the most expensive vehicle I've owned for the last 15 years. There was no expense spared on this vehicle and I've put all my heart and soul into it. It is my pride and enjoy of a vehicle. While I come off aggressive towards Acura, it's not that I hate the brand, I hate its marketing bs and at least how I've seen 4 dealerships operate while I worked for them. I wish they were the Acura of the past.. but sadly no more.

All the ones that kept trying to bash me have nothing to show for it. If they knew how much I've spent on my TL the last 15 years, they wouldn't say a damn thing. Used car market is on fire right now with absurd car prices. It's the right market for me to list my TL but If I was to sell, I have a number in mind. I've rejected an 18K offer last year because I didn't want to let it go.
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-02-2021), someguy11 (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 07:43 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
I don't see S4 on the hot lap list. Did they not run it yet? They had the car so why not do a lap to get a comparison. They dragged it on the same day... I don't see M340 or C43 as well.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts
I honestly think TH did make the car look worse then it really is (the understeer thing probably can be remedied by more trail braking , but to be fair Thomas mentioned that the car required a different driving style than what he was using), but there is no getting around that acceleration and weight kill the sporty intention of TLX-S. Refreshing to see TH showing the bad sides of TLX-S while remain relatively objective.

Also refreshing to see 04WDPSeDaN's pristine TL. I think anyone who still think Acura can make tier-1 car needs to wake up and move to other brands.
The following 2 users liked this post by sonyfever:
Old 08-02-2021, 09:49 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
I think they did a good review. At the end f the day, these reviews are subjective. I think they were harsh but it's their opinion and they probably did not like the car as much as SG did. if anyone is buying this car to go on track and do what these guys did...then I have no comments.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 26 Posts
Almost missed this one in all the words you put up.

You keep saying this but you are just making up a load of male bovine fodder byproducts. You have NO freakin knowledge of what Acura did in the designing & building this car. You are just making it up to suit your excuse for it showing up so badly when going head to head with cars like the S4 & G70. You are trying to tell us that we need to understand that Acura never really meant for the Type-S to run with a G-70 or a S4. Your problem & the problem of many of the guys is the "lane" turned out to be the one to the supermarket

BTW The Audi was not just a little quicker - 7 car lengths is not just a little quicker.....the words the driver used was the S4 "crushed" the Type-S. You say stuff like that a little quicker on a 7 car length beat down & all creditability goes right down the toilet. Both cars in the same frame at the finish like would be a little quicker. Interesting as he said before the race quoting Acura verbiage this is the Type-S with blistering speed. That must mean the S4 runs at Warp Speed. Only thing got blistered was the Hype surrounding the car.

End of the vid what to buy - 330 with M-performance.
I think most of us agree that Acura botched the marketing of the TLX and the Type S. The base TLX is inarguably a very good deal and competes very well against the competition it is designed to face. If you compare a base TLX to the base versions of the G70, Mercedes C Class, BMW 3 series, Mazda 6, Volvo S60......it runs with any of them and typically at a lower price point. It will outrun a base G70 and the fastest Mazda 6. It's slower than the A4 and the Giulia but you are going to pay 20% more for those cars than you will for the TLX. The Q50 is the only car in the same price point as the base TLX that is clearly a better performer.

Where the TLX starts to "fail" is when you move upmarket. I bought an A-Spec that MSRP's at $47k. Once you get to that price point, there are clearly better performance options than the TLX and you have to start valuing the looks of the car as much, or more, than the performance. The Type S gets into an entirely different realm where it really is only a good option if you are an Acura "fanboy" but really, there isn't anything wrong with that. If you watch the Full Throttle video, it's pretty obvious that the TLX Type S is a great car for someone who wants to spend $53k and isn't drag racing the car. It's a terrible car if you want to whip it out and measure it against other cars in it's class.

What's funny about all the angst is the failure to realize that the Acura isn't the only car that can get embarrassed when compared to what "should" be inferior competition. Below is a video where the BMW 330xi is on par with (and gets beat in some respects) by the always outperforming Honda Accord in a different video.

People get all sorts of worked up because the Type S fails to meet their expectations and that's ok, but it really is a good car for a person that wants to own an Acura. Outside of drag racing, it's all the car a person needs.

Last edited by flatlandtlx; 08-02-2021 at 10:22 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 08-02-2021, 10:20 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Thomas from TH tracks his BMW on a regular basis. They both own German cars so I can see how a Type S is not their thing. SavageGeese owned a lot of Honda's so maybe that's why he sees what the Type S offers.
Tony Pac (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 10:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Thomas from TH tracks his BMW on a regular basis. They both own German cars so I can see how a Type S is not their thing. SavageGeese owned a lot of Honda's so maybe that's why he sees what the Type S offers.
that's it. At the end of the day it comes down to preferences. SG said in one of their videos that BMW is overrated. is that true? I am not sure...but that's their opinion. Internet is free market. You say whatever you want and of course say whatever attracts more viewers lol!
Old 08-02-2021, 11:12 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I think they did a good review. At the end f the day, these reviews are subjective. I think they were harsh but it's their opinion and they probably did not like the car as much as SG did. if anyone is buying this car to go on track and do what these guys did...then I have no comments.
In the video they actually said that up to 8/10ths the Type S was better than the G70. Where it fell apart was when pushed beyond that on the track. The video was basically about the Type S track capability. Obviously they didn’t think much of it in regard to the competitors. I don’t agree that the review was an all out thrash of the car. If you watch the video again without the track performance at the forefront of your mind I think you’d realize that as a daily driver they rated the car pretty highly. To be honest 99% of the folks buying the car won’t give a damn about the track performance or that it only does a 5 second 0-60. I think the most telling comment in the review that addresses this was when they said that the car feels really quick, but it’s the slowest in the class. Most type S buyers are going to be perfectly happy with feels quick and the suspension being very well balanced. As TH concluded, great car, but don’t buy it thinking you can do track days. In my opinion the bottom line is the Type S is a big beautiful quick car that is reasonably priced and checks a lot of boxes for a lot of people.

Last edited by Honda430; 08-02-2021 at 11:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
a35tl (08-02-2021), harpazo (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:19 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
I honestly think TH did make the car look worse then it really is (the understeer thing probably can be remedied by more trail braking , but to be fair Thomas mentioned that the car required a different driving style than what he was using), but there is no getting around that acceleration and weight kill the sporty intention of TLX-S. Refreshing to see TH showing the bad sides of TLX-S while remain relatively objective.

Also refreshing to see 04WDPSeDaN's pristine TL. I think anyone who still think Acura can make tier-1 car needs to wake up and move to other brands.

Thank you Sony!
Old 08-02-2021, 11:27 AM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
No comments? It is LITERALLY what Acura advertised it to be, a TRACK oriented daily driver. Dude, the launch was at one of the most famous tracks in the world, not at Target parking lot. They targeted (pun intended) performance oriented drivers, not golfer dads and soccer moms. I am SICK AND TIRED of all the excuses for this company.
The following 2 users liked this post by loki:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-02-2021), someguy11 (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlandtlx
What's funny about all the angst is the failure to realize that the Acura isn't the only car that can get embarrassed when compared to what "should" be inferior competition. Below is a video where the BMW 330xi is on par with (and gets beat in some respects) by the always outperforming Honda Accord in a different video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5a8...l=SamCarLegion

People get all sorts of worked up because the Type S fails to meet their expectations and that's ok, but it really is a good car for a person that wants to own an Acura. Outside of drag racing, it's all the car a person needs.

I don't know why everyone keeps thinking it's embarressing that a base BMW lost to the fastest Accord. The base 3-series has always gotten smoked by the V6 Accord for the past 20 years. The E46 and E90 325i were both slower than the 7G Accord V6 of the time, and the same has held true ever since.

Now, if the base 3-series lost to the base Accord, that would be embarressing.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
Old 08-02-2021, 11:37 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Originally Posted by SRB-TL
No comments? It is LITERALLY what Acura advertised it to be, a TRACK oriented daily driver. Dude, the launch was at one of the most famous tracks in the world, not at Target parking lot. They targeted (pun intended) performance oriented drivers, not golfer dads and soccer moms. I am SICK AND TIRED of all the excuses for this company.
Yeah I'm not sure what these guys don't understand. Laguna Seca is almost the exact same distance from Acura USA in Torrence as Nurburgring is from BMW in Munich. This is like BMW launching a brand new, hyped to the moon, precision crafted performance "beat that" sedan (literally unveiling it at the starting line of Nurburgring) that can't even keep up with an S4, then saying, "Yeah, well, BMW didn't really mean it to be a track car."
The following 3 users liked this post by someguy11:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-02-2021), loki (08-02-2021), silverTL6 (08-11-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jhb31
That looks a lot better. The stock grill look is difficult to get past. I saw in another forum one guy that was considering buying the car was thinking of getting black to make the grill blend in more. Makes the Acura beak of years past no so bad.
The Dravit Gray color does a similar job of hidings some of the front. Could always park nose first approach from the back & not look at it.

jhb31 (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:41 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by someguy11
Yeah I'm not sure what these guys don't understand. Laguna Seca is almost the exact same distance from Acura USA in Torrence as Nurburgring is from BMW in Munich. This is like BMW launching a brand new, hyped to the moon, precision crafted performance "beat that" sedan (literally unveiling it at the starting line of Nurburgring) that can't even keep up with an S4, then saying, "Yeah, well, BMW didn't really mean it to be a track car."
The worst part is that this is the pinnacle of Acura sports sedan performance, and yet it can't keep up with the mid-tier models from the German. We're not even expecting it to be competitive with the proper performance models...
silverTL6 (08-11-2021), someguy11 (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:53 AM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by DubPK
That the car is disappointing in every measurable way and was over hyped, over marketed and couldn't meet the standards set by it's competitors five years ago that have been sitting targets. $51k? No it's not a lot of car for that money. I could see it doing well at $46,000 maybe. Above $50,000 you're up there with the big boys that actually know what they are doing. Sit down Acura, you fucked up.
I agree that the Type S is a good or even a very good $45K car...not much more than that.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dmski
I don't see S4 on the hot lap list. Did they not run it yet? They had the car so why not do a lap to get a comparison. They dragged it on the same day... I don't see M340 or C43 as well.
So far they only showed the 3 in the drag race against each other, expect they will or have gotten a track run. Think they are all might be on the C&D Lightning Laps List. The M340 is #119 at 3:03:2 out of 277 cars for the 4 plus miles. No TL/TLX has ever run.

Lighting Laps 2006 to 2021
Old 08-02-2021, 11:55 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
I prefer this design for the replacement.

I hope they don't screw up the 5 series with beaver teeth!
The following 2 users liked this post by mike03a3:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-02-2021), silverTL6 (08-11-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:59 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mike03a3

Yeah, but then how will your neighbor know that you have newest (and therefore best) BMW?
Old 08-02-2021, 11:59 AM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
Pending price, I'd 100% take the IS500 over the Type-S if I lived South of the snow belt. If it's within $5k, it's a no-brainer. Heck, if it starts at just under $60k, I'd be in. I still waffle on it due to being RWD only and living in NY ... but that car is going to be wonderful.
Don't worry too much about the RWD/AWD issue...cars in the performance realm of the IS500 come with sticky performance tires which are completely useless in the snow anyway even in an AWD car....if you hope to a avoid a seasonal tire change with an AWD, you are out of luck. Since you are swapping tires anyway, if you buy a RWD performance sedan and you put the best winter tires you can find during the cold season, you will be ok.....
loki (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 12:03 PM
Safety Car

100% agree. Supposedly the massive grille was to appease the Chinese market. I don't understand, with how big of a brand BMW is, why they couldn't simply have the M3/M4 look the way it does in China, and give the rest of the world a more traditional BMW look. I'd hope that in 2-3yrs that they'd refresh the look and do away with the grille, but with how arrogant BMW execs can be, I doubt it will happen. The head designer has staunchly stated "you can't please everyone" and something to the tune of, 'well, actually, 1 in 5 people surveyed actually like the big grille' ... as if that were a good thing. I'm sure the engineering team behind the wonderful machine that is the G8x M3/M4 want to wring the necks of the design team. I wonder if it's the same story in the Acura camp between the engineering team and marketing team ...

I mean, you can't tell me the real M4 looks better than this ...

My understanding is that Chinese consumers generally dislike versions of the product that they believe are made specifically for them by foreign companies. This is because there's a general sentiment that things built for China is built to a lower standard and is therefore inferior. Hence, if BMW made a specific version for China and another version for the rest of the world, even if it's purely cosmetic, there'll still be that nagging doubt.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Honda430
In the video they actually said that up to 8/10ths the Type S was better than the G70. Where it fell apart was when pushed beyond that on the track. The video was basically about the Type S track capability. Obviously they didn’t think much of it in regard to the competitors. I don’t agree that the review was an all out thrash of the car. If you watch the video again without the track performance at the forefront of your mind I think you’d realize that as a daily driver they rated the car pretty highly. To be honest 99% of the folks buying the car won’t give a damn about the track performance or that it only does a 5 second 0-60. I think the most telling comment in the review that addresses this was when they said that the car feels really quick, but it’s the slowest in the class. Most type S buyers are going to be perfectly happy with feels quick and the suspension being very well balanced. As TH concluded, great car, but don’t buy it thinking you can do track days. In my opinion the bottom line is the Type S is a big beautiful quick car that is reasonably priced and checks a lot of boxes for a lot of people.
I think all of us agree its a very nice daily driver car. What I find amusing is the staunch defense of a car that many here waited 11 years for thats advertised with blistering speed shown on all kinds of tracks, drifting around the turns etc. When someone actually puts it on a track it totally falls on its ass. Why doesn't Acura get honest, you know - no track pads, no fake drag races, etc & sell it for what it is. Go to the store, pick up the kids from school, take the wife for a drive.

Some of y'all are in total denial & go into Jekyll & Hyde mode as Acura dribbled out each little piece of BS for the last few years. Waiting patiebtly for the big drag race by Sam just knowing the S would kick the S4's butt because Red Line said so at Laguna Seca. S4 dominates & the excuses fly (its was not in Sport+ yada, yada). They the say "Its not supposed to be a drag racer its got SHAWD". Just wait till SHAWD, the best in the class, takes it to the track". Yeah right, all us naysayers are supposed to be eating crow today......how did that work out for you?

TH duplicates the drag race & the S gets in their words "Crushed" proving Sams runs were not a fluke or the wrong gear. Then they do what you all wanted they took it to the track. Man that was doing to show those naysayers. At the track the SHAWD's BS marketing bubble burst with a resounding BANG.

Still after the years of being lied to & the Type-S is back we are a performance company again. Now people are saying well it was always just supposed to be a grocery getter & they did a good job of making it one.
The following 6 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
04WDPSeDaN (08-02-2021), loki (08-02-2021), pyrodan007 (08-02-2021), silverTL6 (08-11-2021), someguy11 (08-02-2021), YEH (08-04-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-02-2021, 12:37 PM
Safety Car

I wonder if this finally puts the kibosh on the fools who kept parroting Acura's claim (lie?) that this is a rear-biased AWD system.
pyrodan007 (08-02-2021), YEH (08-04-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 12:44 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
The Dravit Gray color does a similar job of hidings some of the front. Could always park nose first approach from the back & not look at it.

You can't put a paper bag over that.
Attached Thumbnails Throttle House reviews the TLX-S-butterface.png  
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
leomio2.0 (08-02-2021), PhilB81 (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 12:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, but then how will your neighbor know that you have newest (and therefore best) BMW?
You worry about what your neighbors think about what you drive? Mine must cringe when I bring down the neighborhood image with mt 23 year old Ranger 4X4 pickup truck sans gun rack.

BTW through June (BMW reports quarterly) Good Car/ Bad Car says the Bucky Beaver moved 12,533 4 series cars which is more than they sold in full year of 2020 That actually surprised me, thought the Pig Snout would really whack the sales numbers. TLX in the same 6 month period sold 15,412
Old 08-02-2021, 12:45 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

I think all of us agree its a very nice daily driver car. What I find amusing is the staunch defense of a car that many here waited 11 years for thats advertised with blistering speed shown on all kinds of tracks, drifting around the turns etc. When someone actually puts it on a track it totally falls on its ass. Why doesn't Acura get honest, you know - no track pads, no fake drag races, etc & sell it for what it is. Go to the store, pick up the kids from school, take the wife for a drive.

Some of y'all are in total denial & go into Jekyll & Hyde mode as Acura dribbled out each little piece of BS for the last few years. Waiting patiebtly for the big drag race by Sam just knowing the S would kick the S4's butt because Red Line said so at Laguna Seca. S4 dominates & the excuses fly (its was not in Sport+ yada, yada). They the say "Its not supposed to be a drag racer its got SHAWD". Just wait till SHAWD, the best in the class, takes it to the track". Yeah right, all us naysayers are supposed to be eating crow today......how did that work out for you?

TH duplicates the drag race & the S gets in their words "Crushed" proving Sams runs were not a fluke or the wrong gear. Then they do what you all wanted they took it to the track. Man that was doing to show those naysayers. At the track the SHAWD's BS marketing bubble burst with a resounding BANG.

Still after the years of being lied to & the Type-S is back we are a performance company again. Now people are saying well it was always just supposed to be a grocery getter & they did a good job of making it one.
Your whole post made me think of one thing - that the Acura lapdogs would defend this thing if it had an Acura and/or Type S badge.
The following 2 users liked this post by someguy11:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-02-2021), YEH (08-04-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Old 08-02-2021, 12:52 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

The following 4 users liked this post by someguy11:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-02-2021), ELIN (08-02-2021), leomio2.0 (08-02-2021), ZipSpeed (08-03-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 12:55 PM
Safety Car

You worry about what your neighbors think about what you drive? Mine must cringe when I bring down the neighborhood image with mt 23 year old Ranger 4X4 pickup truck sans gun rack.

BTW through June (BMW reports quarterly) Good Car/ Bad Car says the Bucky Beaver moved 12,533 4 series cars which is more than they sold in full year of 2020 That actually surprised me, thought the Pig Snout would really whack the sales numbers. TLX in the same 6 month period sold 15,412
I was being sarcastic, if you couldn't tell. But in China, the "new money" folks love to show off the fact that they have money, which is why the more ostentatious the better. "Old money" prefers keeping a lower profile.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, it will snuff it right in when the slats open

Maybe this:

ELIN (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

I was being sarcastic, if you couldn't tell. But in China, the "new money" folks love to show off the fact that they have money, which is why the more ostentatious the better. "Old money" prefers keeping a lower profile.
Sarcasm is hard to convey in writing. Works good verbally. That said agree with you on the new old money thing in China. Thing is there was not much old money there before they went to a capitalist economic model. So there is a lot of over the top ostentation. Like a zillion dollars tied up in a Shanghai traffic jam. That said I think Dubai is the excotic car meca ostentation central. Your Lambo runs out of gas buy a new one.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:21 PM
Safety Car

Sarcasm is hard to convey in writing. Works good verbally. That said agree with you on the new old money thing in China. Thing is there was not much old money there before they went to a capitalist economic model. So there is a lot of over the top ostentation. Like a zillion dollars tied up in a Shanghai traffic jam. That said I think Dubai is the excotic car meca ostentation central. Your Lambo runs out of gas buy a new one.
Your Tesla gets impounded, buy a new one. https://www.thedrive.com/news/40591/...g-in-back-seat
Old 08-02-2021, 01:48 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
my next lease the new M2 should look like this.

Originally Posted by mike03a3

Old 08-02-2021, 03:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 26 Posts
I don't know why everyone keeps thinking it's embarressing that a base BMW lost to the fastest Accord. The base 3-series has always gotten smoked by the V6 Accord for the past 20 years. The E46 and E90 325i were both slower than the 7G Accord V6 of the time, and the same has held true ever since.

Now, if the base 3-series lost to the base Accord, that would be embarressing.
FWIW, the Type S is faster than the fastest Accord....by a large margin. Also, the BMW 330i is in the same price range as the TLX and undoubtedly costs more when you factor in the incentives that the TLX has been eligible for. It would be difficult to find a "base" 330i xDrive that doesn't cost close to $10k more than an Accord Touring. You can buy an Accord 2.0T Sport for $15k less than that BMW.

So, when you are talking about cars that are being outran by a lower model.....it is the same conversation. The difference is that you are holding Acura to a higher standard than BMW in your criticisms.

FWIW, I agree 100% that it was idiotic for Acura to market the Type S the way that they did. It was a mistake and they did fail miserably. That doesn't justify the endless outrage about the car. The TL Type S of yesteryear that so many are in love with would get roasted by the new TLX and it wouldn't be close, yet people delude themselves into forgetting that the TL Type S got its butt kicked by BMW and Lexus back in the day too.

Quick Reply: Throttle House reviews the TLX-S