SH-AWD vs. FWD Only TLX

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 11:21 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SH-AWD vs. FWD Only TLX

I haven’t been in to test drive yet, but has anyone driven both that can share their opinion?
Old 02-03-2021, 06:14 AM
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts
I've only driven the SH-AWD (no FWD in Canada) and all the car reviews seem to be of only the SH-AWD as well. I think someone here has driven the the FWD G2 and FWD G1 and found the G1 slightly quicker.
In terms of G2 FWD vs G2 SH-AWD, I'm thinking the FWD model will have a slight edge in acceleration being 200+ lbs lighter, but the AWD model will definitely handle better and be more fun to drive (and possibly more consistent launches).
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 07:28 AM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
Originally Posted by Hossag
I haven’t been in to test drive yet, but has anyone driven both that can share their opinion?
Check with flapjackura in the Owner's thread as I believe he owns a FWD model. He may have driven an AWD at the dealership for comparison.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:58 AM
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 121 Posts
Dealer did not have a SH-AWD in stock in the color I wanted - and to me, I didn't think it would be worth the extra 2 grand, also wanted to get the version with slightly better gas mileage. I don't like silver or black. So far my FWD has handled fine, is plenty of fun to drive and in sport mode goes like a stabbed rat. Have driven in mildly snowy conditions a couple times - no complaints. If the cost is not prohibitive - or otherwise bothersome - to you, my advice would be to test drive both side by side. Keep in mind - my perspective is of someone who doesn't value driving dynamics as much over overall style.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flapjackura:
a35tl (02-03-2021), ELIN (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
I've only driven the SH-AWD (no FWD in Canada) and all the car reviews seem to be of only the SH-AWD as well. I think someone here has driven the the FWD G2 and FWD G1 and found the G1 slightly quicker.
In terms of G2 FWD vs G2 SH-AWD, I'm thinking the FWD model will have a slight edge in acceleration being 200+ lbs lighter, but the AWD model will definitely handle better and be more fun to drive (and possibly more consistent launches).
Having test drove the 21 A-Spec FWD and currently owning a 19 3.5 PAWS, I felt that the 2G was about as quick as my 1G. (At higher speeds my 1G felt more robust.)

With respect to the topic, I would think the FWD should be quicker than the SH-AWD provided the FWD has adequate traction off the line. (This is hit or miss on the 1G 3.5)
Old 02-03-2021, 06:49 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flapjackura
Dealer did not have a SH-AWD in stock in the color I wanted - and to me, I didn't think it would be worth the extra 2 grand, also wanted to get the version with slightly better gas mileage. I don't like silver or black. So far my FWD has handled fine, is plenty of fun to drive and in sport mode goes like a stabbed rat. Have driven in mildly snowy conditions a couple times - no complaints. If the cost is not prohibitive - or otherwise bothersome - to you, my advice would be to test drive both side by side. Keep in mind - my perspective is of someone who doesn't value driving dynamics as much over overall style.
Thanks for the reply, that’s where I’m at too. Limited color choices in the AWD, but they have my color combo and good pricing for the FWD.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:35 PM
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Hossag
Thanks for the reply, that’s where I’m at too. Limited color choices in the AWD, but they have my color combo and good pricing for the FWD.
Good luck! Post some pics if you pull the trigger
Old 02-03-2021, 11:46 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't driven a TLX (except a brief loaner) but owned a 3g TL (2004) FWD and own a 4g TL SHAWD (2013) that I factory ordered when new. I'm waiting to drive the 2G TLX Type S before jumping the Acura brand for something German. My 3G TL would often spin the tire(s) when rapidly accelerating from a stop, especially in damp road conditions. My 4g TL SHAWD is a blast to drive on dry or wet pavement. I really enjoy hitting the accelerator while in a turn and having the awd kick in and feel the rear wheels pull the car around the turn. I live in the Dallas area and the dealers here rarely stock AWD and if they do they are either white or black so factory order is almost always necessary but to me, worth the wait. In fact, I will have a hard time ever buying a FWD only vehicle again. AWD is a must have for me.
The following 4 users liked this post by oc48bound:
ELIN (02-05-2021), ESHBG (02-04-2021), Jrvtecaccord (02-04-2021), pyrodan007 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 10:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 505 Likes on 283 Posts
Dumb question, but what do you guys speculate on resale down the road?
I suspect that awd might be more desirable used as a winter beater, but I don’t think it’ll be a 2k premium in terms of desirability.

As an example, years back when we were shopping for a family car, we considered the Toyota Highlander. I was going for AWD, not because I need it in but because I felt like it opened me up to northern markets where it would be more desirable.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:28 AM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilB81
Dumb question, but what do you guys speculate on resale down the road?
I suspect that awd might be more desirable used as a winter beater, but I don’t think it’ll be a 2k premium in terms of desirability.

As an example, years back when we were shopping for a family car, we considered the Toyota Highlander. I was going for AWD, not because I need it in but because I felt like it opened me up to northern markets where it would be more desirable.
I would only buy for my situation and not worry about resale down the road to some completely different region of the country. Let the online used car sellers worry about that!
Old 02-10-2021, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Just anecdotal experience I had a 17 TLX v6 fwd and and 18 V6 sh-awd. The awd option was under 2k and by far the single best option you can add to that car. Rain or dry it is so much better in every way. As for snow it's a plus but if you live in an area where it just rains you will appreciate what it does for overall traction and handling. The only reason in my mind to not get the sh-awd is you drive very conservatively and value an extra 2 mpg or can't afford the option. Otherwise sh-awd is the way to go.
The following 2 users liked this post by jhb31:
MarcoTLX (06-08-2022), Tesla1856 (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 07:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jhb31
Just anecdotal experience I had a 17 TLX v6 fwd and and 18 V6 sh-awd. The awd option was under 2k and by far the single best option you can add to that car. Rain or dry it is so much better in every way. As for snow it's a plus but if you live in an area where it just rains you will appreciate what it does for overall traction and handling. The only reason in my mind to not get the sh-awd is you drive very conservatively and value an extra 2 mpg or can't afford the option. Otherwise sh-awd is the way to go.
....PAWS/FWD is also a bit quicker/faster provided traction is properly managed. While I’ve only had a FWD TLX 3.5, I’d also recommend the SH-AWD version over the FWD model as well.

This maybe more so with the 1G but, the dealers near me rarely seemed to have base 3.5 SH-AWD models on the lot; just 3.5 PAWS (base), PAWS Tech or SH-AWD Tech.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F23A4
....PAWS/FWD is also a bit quicker/faster provided traction is properly managed. While I’ve only had a FWD TLX 3.5, I’d also recommend the SH-AWD version over the FWD model as well.

This maybe more so with the 1G but, the dealers near me rarely seemed to have base 3.5 SH-AWD models on the lot; just 3.5 PAWS (base), PAWS Tech or SH-AWD Tech.
In perfect conditions (dry and straight) it may but pull out but going left or right from zero on a dry road or even better a wet road forget about any comparison. Go into a corner with sh-awd and you can hit the gas and pull though with ease rather than plowing around the corner. I have a good perspective from having both. Whatever minimal gain you get on an ideal straight run with dry roads is nothing close to the traction and handling you will get in most real life driving. I had a 07 type S with fwd which is why when i traded it in for the 17 fwd (had a lot of wheel spin in the type S even when it would shift into 2nd on wet roads) but I thought it was great. Now with the experience of both I would never opt for just fwd. Then again I drive on the enthusiastic side.zzzzzzzzz

Will clarify this a bit. The TLX is a nice daily driver. Won't make you want to drive it for no particular reason. Reliable and cheap to maintain.. That is at least how I felt. The 07 Type S was very fun to drive compared to the TLX. Regretted trading it in. As a value car the TLX may be there but it's price is getting on the upper end of that for what it has.

Last edited by jhb31; 02-10-2021 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

I was actually agreeing with you. I do get to experience SH-AWD capabilities daily in my MDX; not exactly the same application but enjoyable nonetheless.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
In perfect conditions (dry and straight) it may but pull out but going left or right from zero on a dry road or even better a wet road forget about any comparison. Go into a corner with sh-awd and you can hit the gas and pull though with ease rather than plowing around the corner. I have a good perspective from having both. Whatever minimal gain you get on an ideal straight run with dry roads is nothing close to the traction and handling you will get in most real life driving. I had a 07 type S with fwd which is why when i traded it in for the 17 fwd (had a lot of wheel spin in the type S even when it would shift into 2nd on wet roads) but I thought it was great. Now with the experience of both I would never opt for just fwd. Then again I drive on the enthusiastic side.zzzzzzzzz

Will clarify this a bit. The TLX is a nice daily driver. Won't make you want to drive it for no particular reason. Reliable and cheap to maintain.. That is at least how I felt. The 07 Type S was very fun to drive compared to the TLX. Regretted trading it in. As a value car the TLX may be there but it's price is getting on the upper end of that for what it has.
The issue is the TLX is not the equal to X for less money than X that it was. Its slipped in matching up while closing the money gap at the same time. Think the type S will be a good car overall but at least a generation behind in performance. Have no idea where in the $50K range it will land. Real crap shoot for the Acura product planners.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
The issue is the TLX is not the equal to X for less money than X that it was. Its slipped in matching up while closing the money gap at the same time. Think the type S will be a good car overall but at least a generation behind in performance. Have no idea where in the $50K range it will land. Real crap shoot for the Acura product planners.
I tend to agree here completely. The price of the TLX has gotten into the range of much nicer cars while the performance just isn't there. If it's in the 4.5 second 0-60 range it's better than what they have now. If the type S doesn't improve the transmission it will be a real disappointment. With the 1st gen TLX having an Acura rated near 300hp it sure didn't feel that way (but they have overstated HP in the past) and I think the 9spd trans was a big part of the problem. It's also a fairly heavy car. I don't think people should be happy with A4 performance from a Type S. The current 2021 should be compared to an A4. The type S should be in S series numbers.
The following 2 users liked this post by jhb31:
MarcoTLX (06-08-2022), Tesla1856 (02-12-2021)