Securing a Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 08:29 AM
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Totally agreed! I just can't believe when people pay over MSRP. I know the auto-market is upside down. But I have really hard time to accept what the dealer is telling me to do. I often got a price discount and some freebies. Now it feels like they are doing me a favour to sell the car for $70K CAD (tax included). SMH
I paid MSRP for my Type S back when they launched and was still grinding my teeth as I have owned many Acuras and the dealer always took care of me without having to haggle on pricing. However, they are hurting bad now. Only few cars on the lot and a lot of people on leave as they can't make payroll. This chip shortage will have an impact for years amd may change the whole buying process. Expect paying MSRP with some markups or add ons for some time.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 09:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
One of my daughters is moving to booster seat and I went to discuss with my dealer the purchase of TYPE S for summer 2022. I am encountering three issues:
1. The dealer can't confirm the delivery date. As I am already in another lease term, so I need sometime to resolve it.
2. I put the car seats in the back and the booster is fine but my younger's car seat is tight and getting in and out is not fun.
3. There is no "ADM" but the dealer is kinda pushing me to get some accessories. Which I refuse to pay.

I am still undecided, I am not in rush and I have two almost brand new cars...Let's see how the world shapes up and car supplies and auto-market go back to normal or not.

*Btw - I test drove C43, BMW 340i and TYPE S to compare. ( I excluded A4 and G70 as I have ZERO interest in those two cars.) Although the 340 and C43 are amazing machines and superiors in certain areas compared to the TYPE S, but Acura fits my taste and budget.
#2 would be a deal breaker for me and if this will be a daily driver I would want something more useful.

Originally Posted by dmski
I paid MSRP for my Type S back when they launched and was still grinding my teeth as I have owned many Acuras and the dealer always took care of me without having to haggle on pricing. However, they are hurting bad now. Only few cars on the lot and a lot of people on leave as they can't make payroll. This chip shortage will have an impact for years amd may change the whole buying process. Expect paying MSRP with some markups or add ons for some time.
They are not hurting and have been making record profits. The shortage is an issue but numbers are showing that they are more than making up for it.

Unfortunately I think that the old way of buying cars, at least new ones, is gone and going forward they will keep inventory tighter and we will see more of a the price is the price model (MSRP).
BEAR-AvHistory (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 11:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Would need to go back & look at some stuff but am not home today. IIRC the shop & used car lot are the big money makers for the dealerships. People keeping cars longer are good for the shop more repair work. People keeping older cars longer are good for the used car lots pricing. Traded two cars for the last buy & both brought in more than I expected. Front end goes soft they can unload cost (sales staff) very easily.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:11 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Totally agreed! I just can't believe when people pay over MSRP. I know the auto-market is upside down. But I have really hard time to accept what the dealer is telling me to do. I often got a price discount and some freebies. Now it feels like they are doing me a favour to sell the car for $70K CAD (tax included). SMH
The answer is trivial.

Unless the ADM is hefty, otherwise for a little more money (compared to the MSRP), one can pick up his/her favorite car/SUV with the shortest possible wait or even drive away on the same day; rather than waiting in line for months and months.

Old 12-28-2021, 02:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
I purchased my 2nd brand new 2021 Subaru STI Limited back in April for $2,700 under MSRP. Original window sticker was $44,500.00. I am getting my 22' TLX Type-S for MSRP. I hate dealer bait tactic or adding thousands over msrp. Keep in mind I purchased my Subaru during the "Pandemic".
Old 12-28-2021, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts
Theres 3 dealers in IL that have them in stock. Forget ordering and waiting.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:48 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,594 Likes on 958 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
#2 would be a deal breaker for me and if this will be a daily driver I would want something more useful.
That's the issue. It will be a daily driver and I am scared that I will not enjoy due to space, especially in winter when it's cold and you have to bend to put the kids and buckle them. Overall sedan isn't fun lol. Morning drop off is my duty. Honestly, my CX-5 does a great job right now. I am really debating as to keep the Mazda for a little more and then change. I have my 2010 TL and I drive it here and there. love my 4th Gen.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
ESHBG (12-28-2021), JM2010 SH-AWD (01-05-2022), Midnight Mystery (12-30-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
That's the issue. It will be a daily driver and I am scared that I will not enjoy due to space, especially in winter when it's cold and you have to bend to put the kids and buckle them. Overall sedan isn't fun lol. Morning drop off is my duty. Honestly, my CX-5 does a great job right now. I am really debating as to keep the Mazda for a little more and then change. I have my 2010 TL and I drive it here and there. love my 4th Gen.
I thought back seat wasn't a problem with this car because SUVs. Until you need it. That's why it was an automatic no go for me too.
ESHBG (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 11:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,422 Likes on 1,873 Posts
i don’t mean to disrespect anyone’s opinion. But now after 2 14 months, we know that the rear seat of the new TLX is small. So those who want a bigger backseat, should just move on and go get a bigger car. Why waste time about this same topic over and over?

The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
Honda430 (12-29-2021), MarcoTLX (12-29-2021), pyrodan007 (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
One of my daughters is moving to booster seat and I went to discuss with my dealer the purchase of TYPE S for summer 2022. I am encountering three issues:
1. The dealer can't confirm the delivery date. As I am already in another lease term, so I need sometime to resolve it.
2. I put the car seats in the back and the booster is fine but my younger's car seat is tight and getting in and out is not fun.
3. There is no "ADM" but the dealer is kinda pushing me to get some accessories. Which I refuse to pay.

I am still undecided, I am not in rush and I have two almost brand new cars...Let's see how the world shapes up and car supplies and auto-market go back to normal or not.

*Btw - I test drove C43, BMW 340i and TYPE S to compare. ( I excluded A4 and G70 as I have ZERO interest in those two cars.) Although the 340 and C43 are amazing machines and superiors in certain areas compared to the TYPE S, but Acura fits my taste and budget.
i drop off 3 kids at school everyday, and there is zero issue because they are all old enough to be in to backless boosters and one old enough to be in the front seat, there is plenty of space for 8/9+ year olds but younger then that will be a struggle. As weird as it sounds, due to the way the space is available it will be very ackward for younger kids to fit properly. Even once they are both in boosters, their legs need to be long enough to dangle deep in to the floor (especially during winter boot season) for them not to sit pigeon toed. As sad as it is to say if this is the car you are intent on getting you may want to wait a few more years for it to be functional. You can tell yourself its worth it because you will get the mmc upgrades lol.

once they are old enough for backless boosters, i can’t recommend these boosters enough…

Graco RightGuide Graco RightGuide

i had much thicker seats before these that kept their feet too high and these worked perfect to lower their feet and have the seat belt cross their shoulders properly.

good luck.
Tony Pac (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 05:03 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by sombasol
i drop off 3 kids at school everyday, and there is zero issue because they are all old enough to be in to backless boosters and one old enough to be in the front seat, there is plenty of space for 8/9+ year olds but younger then that will be a struggle. As weird as it sounds, due to the way the space is available it will be very ackward for younger kids to fit properly. Even once they are both in boosters, their legs need to be long enough to dangle deep in to the floor (especially during winter boot season) for them not to sit pigeon toed. As sad as it is to say if this is the car you are intent on getting you may want to wait a few more years for it to be functional. You can tell yourself its worth it because you will get the mmc upgrades lol.

once they are old enough for backless boosters, i can’t recommend these boosters enough…

Graco RightGuide

i had much thicker seats before these that kept their feet too high and these worked perfect to lower their feet and have the seat belt cross their shoulders properly.

good luck.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I was completely fine with the booster seat as well. The issue is small infant car seat. I won't lie, it's tight. If both of my kids were on booster. I would have placed the order

If I stay reasonable then I have to wait at least 18 months before I pull the trigger. Let's see!
Old 12-30-2021, 06:30 AM
Instructor

Go on Cars.com there are about 30-40 type s available all over the US
Old 12-30-2021, 01:18 PM
Intermediate

So I called this dealership today in Ardmore Pennsylvania for this 2022 TLX Type-S.. they want $3,000 over MSRP for market adjustment lol

https://www.piazzaacuraofardmore.com...edium=referral
Old 12-30-2021, 03:42 PM
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeS22
Yeah the only Acura TLX models that Acura has been delivering (since fall) are Type-S, probably to boost their margins and keep the dealers happy.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by one4all
Yeah the only Acura TLX models that Acura has been delivering (since fall) are Type-S, probably to boost their margins and keep the dealers happy.
All the manufacturers are doing the same thing. Scarce parts that fit across all the product lines are going to the high margin cars. Its just common sense. Change to keep the dealers happy to keep them in business.
one4all (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by All_PSI89
So I called this dealership today in Ardmore Pennsylvania for this 2022 TLX Type-S.. they want $3,000 over MSRP for market adjustment lol

https://www.piazzaacuraofardmore.com...edium=referral
Yeah here in the Philly area we have a lot of Acura dealerships but I have dealt with most and from my past experiences + the demographics here (we have some of the richest 'burbs in the country now) + market conditions, I can't imagine there will be any deals to be had on the Type-S.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:37 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Yeah here in the Philly area we have a lot of Acura dealerships but I have dealt with most and from my past experiences + the demographics here (we have some of the richest 'burbs in the country now) + market conditions, I can't imagine there will be any deals to be had on the Type-S.
I lived in Philadelphia for 1 year back in 2017-2018..I hated it so much I moved back to Michigan immediately. Btw the black TLX Type-S at Morton Grove is already sold the sales guy called me this morning.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:41 AM
Instructor

I lived in Philadelphia for 1 year back in 2017-2018..I hated it so much I moved back to Michigan immediately. Btw the black TLX Type-S at Morton Grove is already sold the sales guy called me this morning.

damn that’s where I got mine from. They had four at the time a couple weeks ago. Try Pauly in Highland Park and Ed Napleton in Elmhurst they show they have some.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Just curious for those of you that have actually taken delivery of your Type-S's post some pictures.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone tried and had any luck with the Costco auto-buying program? Not sure if the Type-S is available through it, but we got our 21 Ford Explorer ST for $300 over invoice...no questions asked. However this was in May of 2021, before things were as bad as they are now with availability.

The Costco experience was so painless I was hoping to use it for my next car purchase as well, which I hope will be a Type-S in 2022.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:23 AM
AZ Community Team

Not the same case in Canada, especially in Montreal, which is a smaller market compared to Ontario and British Columbia. I checked both dealers that I know and nothing is available. I found one with 2,000KM in Quebec city. Someone bought it and a few weeks later passed away. I just didn't feel comfortable buying that car. Don't judge me but I am a bit superstitious lol!
MarcoTLX (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 01:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

We are happy to hear that you immediately went back to where you came from.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:25 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Cargurus gives current nationwide counts of Type S models available at 33 2022s and 27 2021s. The latest vin I could find for 2022 ended in 516. Apparently Acura is not yet building 2022 non-Type S TLX models since Cargurus shows none available nationwide.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:26 PM
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Stupid question but when people are saying they obtained a Type S at "MSRP" what exactly does that mean? Does that include the destination charge as well?
Old 12-31-2021, 03:05 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 333 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by HitTheNOS
Stupid question but when people are saying they obtained a Type S at "MSRP" what exactly does that mean? Does that include the destination charge as well?
yes MSRP usually includes dest. Charge
Old 12-31-2021, 03:10 PM
Suzuka Master

In my case yes the destination charge is part of the sticker price its on the Monroney Label just before the final price. When you negotiate price you are working against the total MSRP number which included delivery.

For the dealer license/tags bullshit, usually negotiate the "paperwork" charge totally out or split 50/50. Very few dealers would walk away from a $50,000 to $100,000 sale over that particular item. Then unless its cash buy you need to deal with the finance guy who is really an on commission salesman. He is selling the tire warranty, coatings, extended warranty etc. If financing through the manufacturer the interest rates are negotiable. If they use banks same deal they get a cut of the interest so you need to negotiate that.

Bottom line is the finance guy is the dealers last shot to get some more of your money.
MarcoTLX (01-01-2022)
Old 12-31-2021, 09:27 PM
Instructor

If the people in penn looking for one are willing to drive to brooklyn it looks like there is a tiger eye available there…

Actually on ebay
Old 12-31-2021, 09:34 PM
Instructor

who cares, money is money. You either have it or you don’t. Get what you want, you only live once. Msrp, markup if u want it bad u gonna get it. Buy enjoy and move on.
The following 3 users liked this post by TypeS22:
alexdv1 (12-31-2021), MarcoTLX (01-01-2022), Tesla1856 (01-03-2022)
Old 12-31-2021, 11:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,422 Likes on 1,873 Posts
who cares, money is money. You either have it or you don’t. Get what you want, you only live once. Msrp, markup if u want it bad u gonna get it. Buy enjoy and move on.
This. Get what you want. In this segment, rational thinking rarely makes sense and emotional thinking takes over.
Edward'TLS (01-01-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 06:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fiatlux
This. Get what you want. In this segment, rational thinking rarely makes sense and emotional thinking takes over.
Not much past a Civic or Corolla 4 door will pass a rational logical thinking test. Moves very quickly from logic to lust.
Old 01-05-2022, 02:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DubPK
Little off topic but ranting a bit here good luck those trying to secure these getting the options you want. Dealer contacted me today and informed me that Acura didn't fulfill any customer requests, what they sent is what they sent and all they can sell me is Black... on top of that they said they won't be able to sell the Y spoke rims now or for the foreseeable future and for the cherry on top they said their demo is sold so they are not offering test drives. I pushed back a bit saying Acura expected those demos to be drivable and he said all Acura only makes them hold them for sixty days they are not forced to let people drive them, pure greedy bullshit. They are still selling for MSRP so there is that but otherwise what a shit show.
I ordered a second set of y spokes for my winter set up and they are available but it’s probably a different story being and coming with the car. When I bought my 22 they had both sets of wheels available and the same exterior. Of course I opted for the y spoke.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
I ordered a second set of y spokes for my winter set up and they are available but it’s probably a different story being and coming with the car. When I bought my 22 they had both sets of wheels available and the same exterior. Of course I opted for the y spoke.
If the original "Y-Spoke Rims and Tires" upgrade was only $800, that's cool.

But if it was like $3000 (like I'm pretty sure I saw it was when TLX Type-S was first put online) ... they should have given you the old wheels (tires and rims) ... you could have likely used them in some way.

I run Bridgestone Potenza 255/35-R19-96Y summer-tires year-round.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 01-05-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
If the original "Y-Spoke Rims and Tires" upgrade was only $800, that's cool.

But if it was like $3000 (like I'm pretty sure I saw it was when TLX Type-S was first put online) ... they should have given you the old wheels (tires and rims) ... you could have likely used them in some way.

I run Bridgestone Potenza 255/35-R19-96Y summer-tires year-round.
when you buy the car you have an option to get the performance wheels and tires I think they’re $800 more so I ended up getting those but additionally got another set of eyes folk from my snow tires and that whole set up was like a little over 3k. I don’t care about spending the extra money I’d rather have an extra set with dedicated winter tires as I had that on my previous TL.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
when you buy the car you have an option to get the performance wheels and tires I think they’re $800 more so I ended up getting those but additionally got another set of eyes folk from my snow tires and that whole set up was like a little over 3k. I don’t care about spending the extra money I’d rather have an extra set with dedicated winter tires as I had that on my previous TL.
Got it.

How does it work with the (Active) TPMS sensors when the winter wheels are on the car? Or, is Acura using Passive-TPMS these days ?
Old 01-05-2022, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Got it.

How does it work with the (Active) TPMS sensors when the winter wheels are on the car? Or, is Acura using Passive-TPMS these days ?
any tpms sensor set to the right mhz works fine. i have aftermarket sensors on my winter set, the car doesnt know the difference.
Tesla1856 (01-05-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 04:55 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Not much past a Civic or Corolla 4 door will pass a rational logical thinking test. Moves very quickly from logic to lust.
<sigh> too true! Once I decided on a BMW instead of the new Type-S, all logic was overcome by lust and I quickly escalated to an M550i X-Drive with a handful of Individual options (paint, leather, dash)
BEAR-AvHistory (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Got it.

I just installed my winter set yesterday with new sensors and didn't even have to program/learn to system. Installed on car drove like a mile and the pressure adjusted to new wheels and tires.
Tesla1856 (01-09-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 08:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I put in an order for a 2022 TLX Type S a few weeks ago. The sales rep from the dealer called me today to tell me that Acura isn't currently making them with the premium wheel package that I had ordered and I need to change my order to the standard wheels or I'd have to cancel my order. Can anybody coroborate this? It was kind of an odd conversation honestly, he was pretty pushy about it.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:46 PM
Instructor

I put in an order for a 2022 TLX Type S a few weeks ago. The sales rep from the dealer called me today to tell me that Acura isn't currently making them with the premium wheel package that I had ordered and I need to change my order to the standard wheels or I'd have to cancel my order. Can anybody coroborate this? It was kind of an odd conversation honestly, he was pretty pushy about it.
just get the car and worry about wheels later. Wheels are available and u can buy them and sell the other shark ones

the car is too awesome to miss out on just because of wheel choice
The following 2 users liked this post by TypeS22:
HitTheNOS (01-18-2022), MarcoTLX (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 10:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Is there a price difference for the premium wheels with your sale and if so and you don't get them, are they adjusting the price?

Quick Reply: Securing a Type-S