Scraped the NEW front bumper lip - AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 07:59 PM
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Scraped the NEW front bumper lip - AGAIN!

Hey all,

So, I really need to be more conscious of how low this vehicle is. I am used to having an SUV, and I just scraped the new front lip on the bumper AGAIN! The previous one I scratched, and I also pulled too far into a parking spot and the lip caught the parking block. Has anyone else had issues with doing this? Fortunately, I just scraped the underside of the lip this time, but I really need to pay more attention!

Also, has anyone had issues with potholes and flat tires? Since these tires are low-profile, how well do they hold up hitting potholes?

Lastly, for those of you who live in colder states, what tire pressures do you run in the winter? I always like to go 2-3 over, but with these lower-profile tires, I am not sure if this is wise to do or not. Any thoughts?

Thanks all!
Old 09-19-2023, 05:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 666 Likes on 359 Posts
A lot of questions lol. In 2 years of ownership I went through 3 tires. Anything that punctures them its a wrap 90% of the time. I had the tire package from the dealer.

I mean, be conscious when parking. These are loooooong front ends.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:06 AM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
If youre pulling in to a spot just start getting used to pushing the button on the end of the right stalk to turn on your front camera (my type S is Canadian which has front and surround but i assume this button does the same thing but just the front camera in the states). Ive never hit anything because of uaing this, but the front end is very long and takes some getting used to. The front camera will never fail you just never try and park the front end over the curb, just in front of it.

ive had zero tire issues also.

i am now officially knocking on wood.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:05 AM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by sombasol
If youre pulling in to a spot just start getting used to pushing the button on the end of the right stalk to turn on your front camera (my type S is Canadian which has front and surround but i assume this button does the same thing but just the front camera in the states). Ive never hit anything because of uaing this, but the front end is very long and takes some getting used to. The front camera will never fail you just never try and park the front end over the curb, just in front of it.

ive had zero tire issues also.

i am now officially knocking on wood.
As he's in the US, he doesn't have the surround cameras you Canadians have.

Only the Advance trim gets those cameras in the US.
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 07:11 AM
Drifting

Last time I had a low-profile luxury car w/o surround cameras, I was glad to give up the car after the 2 year lease was up (E350 4MATIC). The tires had bubbled up from curb rash and gave up the ghost while parked in a mall lot.

From that moment on, no more low-profile tires for me and surround cameras are a must!
Old 09-19-2023, 02:45 PM
sur
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
I would kill for a 360 camera. So stupid they didn't include them for the US market.

I honestly have no idea how people can drive around for multiple years without ripping the lip off. The first week I got my car I completely smashed up the right side of the lip by pulling to far forward in a parking spot. I can tell you for sure, do not rely on the parking sensors to alert you, they won't sometimes.

Since my initial scrape I've been parking way far back in the parking space. I've also unlocked hard mode by lowering the car - so I'm extra scared now. Only other scrapes that have happened are from coming off a downhill on to a straight road. Have to drive sideways to avoid that. The other thing to keep in mind here is the replacement lip it's too expensive. I think about 350 on one of those discount oem parts site, so don't worry too much if it gets messed up. It doesn't look that hard to replace either.

Tires I think have a lot to do with the area you live in. Roads around me are maintained fairly well. I've never had a flat from a pothole or anything similar and have been on only low pro tires for at least the last 6-7 years. Just buy the tire and wheel protection package if this is a problem in your area.
The following 2 users liked this post by sur:
ELIN (09-20-2023), MarcoTLX (09-23-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 07:04 AM
Cruisin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
I purchased a S type a couple months ago and almost hit the parking curb. Did some research and found "Brand Motion" curb alert. A local stereo shop installed them and I really like it. It is set to give three audible beeps when you are about six to eight inches away from the curb to alert you, works great so far. They offer a video alert camera but it does not tie into the Acura screen and I would need another monitor so didn't go that route. Regarding parking lots where you park at an angle to the curb you still have to be careful cause you can get too close, have not tried adjusting for that yet. Works great so far and hardly know it there.
sur (09-21-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 07:10 AM
Drifting

Doesn't help current owners but I really hope Acura sticks the surround cameras in the US Type S cars for the upcoming MMC. Don't know if the TLX-S is the only "performance oriented" car to not have that feature but it's probably not a long list.
Old 09-20-2023, 08:19 PM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Doesn't help current owners but I really hope Acura sticks the surround cameras in the US Type S cars for the upcoming MMC. Don't know if the TLX-S is the only "performance oriented" car to not have that feature but it's probably not a long list.
before I settled on the Type S, I was cross-shopping the updated 2021 Lexus IS that just came out. At the time, the IS300 could be optioned with a 360 camera in the Ultra Luxury package, while the IS350 strangely could not get the 360 camera on any package (at least in Canada). I believe Lexus corrected this the subsequent year.
ELIN (09-20-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 02:09 AM
sur
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by obbshu
I purchased a S type a couple months ago and almost hit the parking curb. Did some research and found "Brand Motion" curb alert. A local stereo shop installed them and I really like it. It is set to give three audible beeps when you are about six to eight inches away from the curb to alert you, works great so far. They offer a video alert camera but it does not tie into the Acura screen and I would need another monitor so didn't go that route. Regarding parking lots where you park at an angle to the curb you still have to be careful cause you can get too close, have not tried adjusting for that yet. Works great so far and hardly know it there.
This is perfect. I've got to get this. This is the only way the front of my car will survive more than a couple more months.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:43 PM
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Am I the only person that can’t drive? I scraped the bottom of my front bumper lip again on the Type S! So annoying!

Is there anything decent that I can buy and put on the bottom of the bumper to protect it from future scrapes?

Has anyone else scraped their front lip at all? Is there a good touch-up paint to fix it?
Old 09-25-2023, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by swttsx007
Am I the only person that can’t drive? I scraped the bottom of my front bumper lip again on the Type S! So annoying!

Is there anything decent that I can buy and put on the bottom of the bumper to protect it from future scrapes?

Has anyone else scraped their front lip at all? Is there a good touch-up paint to fix it?
Well, you did come from an SUV so it many not be second nature to watch for low lying objects. Sedans may be good for "show" but you definitely need to baby them a lot more than SUVs.

If you're looking for touch up paint, your dealer will have your exact color.