Replacement Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 01:51 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 535 Likes on 273 Posts
Replacement Windshield

I was hit by two rocks in the past 24 hours despite being no where near any cars for either of them. I guess at highway speeds those rocks can really fly high.

My insurance, like most, wants to use aftermarket glass. My deductible is $250 and if I opted for OEM glass I’d have to pay an extra $300 or so on top of that. I’m awaiting a call back because my policy has an OEM parts guarantee on it for collision and comprehensive but they’re saying the glass isn’t covered. Maybe it’s not considered comprehensive?

Anyways, my concern is that aftermarket glass won’t have the correct setup for the windshield wiper heating element. Is this something that aftermarket windshields usually have when needed or does anyone have experience with these types of features not existing on these panels of glass? I have a Type S and they keep telling me the features listed include the cutout for a heads up display which obviously the Type S doesn’t have. Because of this I’m not sure if the glass is the right fit but I also am not even sure the glass matters for a heads up display anyway.

Any guidance or experience is appreciated. The chip isn’t large but it’s dead center in the drivers eye position and it’s somewhat deeper than a regular chip. It’s also got a couple of tiny lines within the chip so it’s glaring and even if a repair was possible it’s still going to glare. So I’m basically stuck here. 🤦‍♂️
Old 01-24-2022, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
The type of glass used is important for advanced driving sensors often placed in the rearview mirror assembly. I would be hesitant for not getting OEM since it can cause weird issues that cannot be fixed with calibration.
The following users liked this post:
KrylonBlue (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 02:08 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
The type of glass used is important for advanced driving sensors often placed in the rearview mirror assembly. I would be hesitant for not getting OEM since it can cause weird issues that cannot be fixed with calibration.
Thats my fear but I did get a call back from my insurance and it would require me to pay almost $600 for OEM which I’m not going to do. I’ll let them replace with aftermarket and if there are any issues I’ll bring it back and tell them to fix it or provide a part that will.

Freakin rocks… and right in the drivers eye too. Worst place.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Best of luck, hopefully zero problems. Sucks on a new car
KrylonBlue (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 416 Posts
Try a windshield repair kit. No, they don't eliminate the chip, but it can make them less noticeable depending on the chip. It's worth a shot seeing as the kits are $15. Chances are, this isn't the last time your windshield will meet a rock.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Try a windshield repair kit. No, they don't eliminate the chip, but it can make them less noticeable depending on the chip. It's worth a shot seeing as the kits are $15. Chances are, this isn't the last time your windshield will meet a rock.
I considered it. But I had this same type of chip on a work vehicle and filling it in still had a ton of glare from the chip but luckily that was on the passenger side. This is right in my eye and looks like it’ll still chip even when repaired within a few months. Even if it doesn’t the glare it’s already causing is annoying.

You’re right though. Chips do happen. I’ve got quite a few small ones but this one is different. 😞
Old 01-24-2022, 02:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Best of luck, hopefully zero problems. Sucks on a new car
What else is new. My car was rear ended by a drunk lady with no insurance 9 days into ownership and 224 miles.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts
Have them be carful removing the mirror/sensor, ive heard ppl after getting front windshield tinted their car wouldn't start and horn would go off.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:01 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TypeS22
Have them be carful removing the mirror/sensor, ive heard ppl after getting front windshield tinted their car wouldn't start and horn would go off.
I saw that thread. Definitely a very strange one. Thank you for the reminder. 😎
Old 01-24-2022, 07:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,997 Likes on 1,419 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I saw that thread. Definitely a very strange one. Thank you for the reminder. 😎
Did you drive under an overpass? Ice falling or rocks being thrown by kids! Do you have a dashcam?

I'm surprised that they have aftermarket glass for the TLX-S already! Make sure the insurance company pays to recalibrate and realign the system. This can be around $300+ depending on the car. Ford/Lincoln are terrible with the alignments, esp if you touch/move the side mirror assembly that makes the surround camera crazy!
Old 01-24-2022, 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 416 Posts
What else is new. My car was rear ended by a drunk lady with no insurance 9 days into ownership and 224 miles.
Damn, thought that was you ... you just can't catch a break with this car.

Originally Posted by TypeS22
Doubt it had anything to do with the actual tint on the windshield. I don't think most sensors look thru the windshield anyways, and the one I do see isn't effected by tint since its encased in its own area that can't be tinted. More than likely there's BCM wires/connectors getting moisture on them during the tinting process causing things to go haywire and causing the issues that have been seen so far.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:24 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by csmeance
Did you drive under an overpass? Ice falling or rocks being thrown by kids! Do you have a dashcam?

I'm surprised that they have aftermarket glass for the TLX-S already! Make sure the insurance company pays to recalibrate and realign the system. This can be around $300+ depending on the car. Ford/Lincoln are terrible with the alignments, esp if you touch/move the side mirror assembly that makes the surround camera crazy!

The glass repair company, Safelite, will do the recalibration. If there are any issues I’ll call my insurance and go from there. Hopefully it won’t be an issue. Also, it sounds like it’s the same windshield as the TLX Advance so I’m not all that surprised. But I could be wrong.

No, this wasn’t an overpass. It was snowing and being plowed all morning and a rock got caught on a drivers tire and smacked my car. Nothing I can do there.

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Damn, thought that was you ... you just can't catch a break with this car.

Doubt it had anything to do with the actual tint on the windshield. I don't think most sensors look thru the windshield anyways, and the one I do see isn't effected by tint since its encased in its own area that can't be tinted. More than likely there's BCM wires/connectors getting moisture on them during the tinting process causing things to go haywire and causing the issues that have been seen so far.
Gotta love it. Can’t have nice things.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Anyways, my concern is that aftermarket glass won’t have the correct setup for the windshield wiper heating element
I've always wondered about this ... your element issue and I think other possible things. I'm not one to try to "save money". I'm more of a "do it right and proper" kinda guy. So, like @pyrodan007 says ... I would have to go genuine Acura OEM glass. Especially on a new car.

I've also heard that the related sensors have to be re-calibrated. I think it might even be mentioned in the SafeLite commercials (but not sure what kinda glass they use).
Old 01-25-2022, 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

No, that's our line ...

" Wait, what ... you again? See, this is why we can't have nice things."

Really sorry this happened. However, it sounds like you know what you are doing, so it should work-out fine in the end. Like you (well) know, that is what insurance is for .

Just one last thought ... I you sure you don't want to let an (experienced) professional try the easy/patch thing first? Maybe the guy that did the other car wasn't so good at it?
Old 01-25-2022, 09:12 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,090 Likes on 2,540 Posts
The glass repair company, Safelite, will do the recalibration. If there are any issues I’ll call my insurance and go from there. Hopefully it won’t be an issue. Also, it sounds like it’s the same windshield as the TLX Advance so I’m not all that surprised. But I could be wrong.

No, this wasn’t an overpass. It was snowing and being plowed all morning and a rock got caught on a drivers tire and smacked my car. Nothing I can do there.

Sorry for your TLX's misfortune again.

FWIW, our 2017 CR-V had a rock into the windshield causing a crack and we insisted on OEM glass. Safelite installed it (reusing the original seal), then recalibrated the MobileEye optical sensor. Everything worked out OK, as LKAS and other optical systems worked fine. So I agree with you wanting OEM glass.

Here's something that gets into the calibration process for a 2019 CR-V.
https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/c...2019-honda-crv

Last edited by Legend2TL; 01-25-2022 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:53 PM
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
I Feel your pain. I lived in Chicagoland for 2+ years and, while there, my cars suffered more collateral damage than all my other location PUT TOGETHER. This included stints in Minneapolis, Philadelphia, New York City (Manhattan), Los Angeles and Washington DC. The Chicago people were great, but for my car it was Dangerous Territory.

Your approach re the repair (window - with your recent bad luck we've got to specify WHICH repair) makes good sense. Let's hope you've now had your share/fill of bad luck and can look forward to smooth sailing going forward.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:02 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
I've always wondered about this ... your element issue and I think other possible things. I'm not one to try to "save money". I'm more of a "do it right and proper" kinda guy. So, like @pyrodan007 says ... I would have to go genuine Acura OEM glass. Especially on a new car.

I've also heard that the related sensors have to be re-calibrated. I think it might even be mentioned in the SafeLite commercials (but not sure what kinda glass they use).
I would opt for OEM glass but aftermarket will cost my $250 deductible while the OEM glass will be near $600. Considering it’s glass and the likelihood of getting smacked by a rock again is greater than average now a days I just don’t want to spend the money. Worst case is there are functionality issues and I work with my insurance to get OEM glass if necessary even if there’s an extra cost to do so (minus the $250 deductible obviously). $600 is just a lot of money for a windshield that isn’t any more rigid than aftermarket by the looks of it.

Also, I am taking the car to their center where they’re also going to calibrate it for me. If the calibration is done poorly I’ll request that it’s redone and if it’s still not correct I’ll tell my insurance they need to cover it at Acura as their shop failed. But I don’t anticipate this being an issue.
Tesla1856 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 06:05 PM
AZ Community Team

No, that's our line ...

" Wait, what ... you again? See, this is why we can't have nice things."

Really sorry this happened. However, it sounds like you know what you are doing, so it should work-out fine in the end. Like you (well) know, that is what insurance is for .

Just one last thought ... I you sure you don't want to let an (experienced) professional try the easy/patch thing first? Maybe the guy that did the other car wasn't so good at it?
Safelite did it. He did a great job and it lasted a bit but the problem was the chip, like mine, was deeper and had a small “crack” line going downwards. While it’s small there was still a high probability it would crack with the weather changes over time. The difference was that was on the passenger side so when it cracked it wasn’t my my vision line. The one on my TLX is right in the line of sight to my left eye on the driver side. Bad placement. If it was a normal chip it would be okay but this one has a nasty glare from headlights and sunlight. Filling it isn’t going to remove that as part of the glare is the tiny crack line.

On a side note, my luck isn’t great either. I have to drop it off at the body shop next month. I saw a “dent” on my rear quarter panel. I had my PDR guy look at it and he said while it looks like a dent it really isn’t. It’s an imperfection in the clear coat which he showed me with a magnifying glass. The shop needs to likely paint that panel again. There are also several small imperfection dots in the paint on the pillar but those can likely be wet sanded. Luckily, when I brought it on to the body shop, they apologized and took full responsibility with no fuss. They’re going to do what’s needed to make it right. My main concern was that my car is ceramic coated which means the coating I paid for in the back end will need to be done again after about 60 days to the paint can cure first. But to my satisfaction with no fuss the shop asked for the shop name and said they’d pay for it on the spot. I understand painting can turn up issues and I wish it didn’t but the fact they’re not beating around the bush and making me battle is a major reason I would still use this shop.

That woman that hit me has really been something that tore me up. Nothing goes right. But every moment in this car is so much fun so it’s worth getting it straight. I just wish it was all fun with no drama

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 01-25-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

1. functionality issues
... for a windshield that isn’t any more rigid than aftermarket by the looks of it.

2. their center where they’re also going to calibrate it for me..
1. As long it is "functionally" the same and as strong ... those would be mine only concerns. Sounds like you got it covered.

2. Now-days, most Premium new cars have similar Tech. So, if the "little old lady" can get a proper repair, so can we.
KrylonBlue (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

1. Safelite did it. He did a great job and it lasted a bit but the problem was the chip, like mine, was deeper and had a small “crack” line going downwards. While it’s small there was still a high probability it would crack with the weather changes over time. The difference was that was on the passenger side so when it cracked it wasn’t my my vision line. The one on my TLX is right in the line of sight to my left eye on the driver side. Bad placement. If it was a normal chip it would be okay but this one has a nasty glare from headlights and sunlight. Filling it isn’t going to remove that as part of the glare is the tiny crack line.

2. On a side note, my luck isn’t great either. I have to drop it off at the body shop next month. I saw a “dent” on my rear quarter panel. I had my PDR guy look at it and he said while it looks like a dent it really isn’t. It’s an imperfection in the clear coat which he showed me with a magnifying glass. The shop needs to likely paint that panel again. There are also several small imperfection dots in the paint on the pillar but those can likely be wet sanded. Luckily, when I brought it on to the body shop, they apologized and took full responsibility with no fuss. They’re going to do what’s needed to make it right. My main concern was that my car is ceramic coated which means the coating I paid for in the back end will need to be done again after about 60 days to the paint can cure first. But to my satisfaction with no fuss the shop asked for the shop name and said they’d pay for it on the spot. I understand painting can turn up issues and I wish it didn’t but the fact they’re not beating around the bush and making me battle is a major reason I would still use this shop.

That woman that hit me has really been something that tore me up. Nothing goes right. But every moment in this car is so much fun so it’s worth getting it straight. I just wish it was all fun with no drama
1. Understood. Never had it done. I meant to get a passenger side one one fixed that way on my old 2004 Accord-V6. But it just stayed as a round-hole looking one and I never got around to it . I just recently traded it away (we loved that car, it was a good car). I'm sure Audi called SafeLite and tried it (instead of replacing glass).

2. My new 1987 Accord-3dr-Hatchback wasn't even that old. Went to some small town for a service-call. Parked way out in parking lot. Came out, put my tool-kit in the back-hatch, and was opening my driver-door. There was a huge dent in the lower quarter-panel just behind the door. I actually fell-down on my butt in the dirty parking-lot and stared at it. I could not believe it.

Another vehicle (still rather new). Not a collision, just fixing a scraped-bumper (so they repaint whole front bumper). Went to pick it up from the body-shop They are like "here you go". I'm inspecting front-bumper ... a huge section was like a scratchy matte finish. How do they even miss that? The manager apologized and took it back into shop. Apparently, the clear-coat just needed to be polished ? I don't know, whatever. When I got it back the next day ... now I'm REALLY inspecting everything real good, it looked perfect. I even removed the license plate cover and it was pretty underneath there too.

That's just a couple. I like buying new cars, and then I try to take good care of them. If you are married, multiply by two. You or someone above said "collateral damage" ... that sounds about right.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 01-25-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
I would opt for OEM glass but aftermarket will cost my $250 deductible while the OEM glass will be near $600. Considering it’s glass and the likelihood of getting smacked by a rock again is greater than average now a days I just don’t want to spend the money. Worst case is there are functionality issues and I work with my insurance to get OEM glass if necessary even if there’s an extra cost to do so (minus the $250 deductible obviously). $600 is just a lot of money for a windshield that isn’t any more rigid than aftermarket by the looks of it.

Also, I am taking the car to their center where they’re also going to calibrate it for me. If the calibration is done poorly I’ll request that it’s redone and if it’s still not correct I’ll tell my insurance they need to cover it at Acura as their shop failed. But I don’t anticipate this being an issue.
I got a small rock chip right just outside the driver's line of sight within the first week of ownership, had it fixed by Safelite and it's still visible, but I learned to live with it. Now I received another right in the middle of the drivers line of sight and it spider webbed to the passenger side. My new OEM glass install at Safelite has been pending since mid December as some required clips are out of stock and backorder. I cannot recall in the last 20 years or so having a rock chip in all my prior vehicles, odd that I had two within a year with this vehicle.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Jrvtecaccord
I got a small rock chip right just outside the driver's line of sight within the first week of ownership, had it fixed by Safelite and it's still visible, but I learned to live with it. Now I received another right in the middle of the drivers line of sight and it spider webbed to the passenger side. My new OEM glass install at Safelite has been pending since mid December as some required clips are out of stock and backorder. I cannot recall in the last 20 years or so having a rock chip in all my prior vehicles, odd that I had two within a year with this vehicle.
I’ve had rock chips before but this car has been much worse in terms of damage taken than any other previous vehicle I’ve owned. As I mentioned above I wanted to use OEM glass but not when it’s an extra $350 or so. The first rock chip that happens would be extra aggravating and you know it’ll just happen quickly.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:13 AM
Burning Brakes

I’ve had rock chips before but this car has been much worse in terms of damage taken than any other previous vehicle I’ve owned.
Some are saying similar things over at AudiWorld. They mentioned it might be a non-traditional composition do make it acoustic and maybe even thinner to save on weight?
Old 01-29-2022, 12:25 AM
AZ Community Team

Some are saying similar things over at AudiWorld. They mentioned it might be a non-traditional composition do make it acoustic and maybe even thinner to save on weight?
Possibly.

I wonder if the aftermarket is acoustic?
Old 01-31-2022, 04:08 PM
AZ Community Team

The plot thickens.

I went in today and we checked the new glass. At the very least the aftermarket glass was missing the cutout for the rain sensors up top. Obviously this means we’re unable to use that glass and they checked into it and sure enough there is no aftermarket glass for the Type S. They have to get OEM which I’m told by Safelite will be within my deductible as there is no other choice. However, calibration has to be done by Acura which is $289.95 but Nationwide is telling me I’d have to cover the cost of calibration which I don’t think is correct. I’m waiting on a call back to address that as I find that a bit ridiculous.

Edit: Sounds like I will pay for the calibration but I’ll be reimbursed once I sent the bill on to my insurance.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 01-31-2022 at 04:24 PM.
MarcoTLX (02-01-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 05:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
Sorry to hear! Unfortunately Acura seems to be backed up on OEM glass and I would imagine the Type-S would be no different, especially the windshield, so it may be a long wait if going that route.

*RDX rear windows have been shattering randomly and owners are having a tough time getting them replaced by Acura due to a backlog.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:10 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Sorry to hear! Unfortunately Acura seems to be backed up on OEM glass and I would imagine the Type-S would be no different, especially the windshield, so it may be a long wait if going that route.

*RDX rear windows have been shattering randomly and owners are having a tough time getting them replaced by Acura due to a backlog.
I scheduled it for the 21st as I’ll be out of town for a bit and won’t be able to take it in prior to that. We shall see — no rush. It’s not like it’s a big crack yet.
ESHBG (01-31-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 01:55 PM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Thats my fear but I did get a call back from my insurance and it would require me to pay almost $600 for OEM which I’m not going to do. I’ll let them replace with aftermarket and if there are any issues I’ll bring it back and tell them to fix it or provide a part that will.

Freakin rocks… and right in the drivers eye too. Worst place.
You dropped 60 Gs on that car few months ago but won't shell out another $350 (on top of your mandatory deductible) to get proper OEM windshield?

Old 02-01-2022, 03:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by loki
to get proper OEM windshield?
We tried to tell him in the beginning

But you have to cut @KrylonBlue some slack ... he has had a really tough-time with this new car.
KrylonBlue (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 04:34 PM
®

But you have to cut @KrylonBlue some slack ... he has had a really tough-time with this new car.
He had even tougher with the previous one with tint shop destroying his dash. It still doesn't make sense to not get OEM windshield over $350 on car that he probably paid nearly $60K. But that's just me.
KrylonBlue (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 04:44 PM
®

Ugh I wasn't lazy and looked up all posts by Krylon and his Type S. Talk about shitty luck. I can't imagine bigger irony than dumping previous TLX only for the crap to intensify. I feel bad for him; I've been down that road before (as me and him have talked about privately back in 2019).
Old 02-01-2022, 05:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by loki
He had even tougher with the previous one with tint shop destroying his dash. It still doesn't make sense to not get OEM windshield over $350 on car that he probably paid nearly $60K. But that's just me.
Its glass. Sadly it’ll just get smacked again. It could even happen as I’m driving back from the glass shop. It’s one of the only parts I would consider because of that fact.

Anyways, it worked out. I was almost positive aftermarket glass didn’t exist as my buddy at Acura said it didn’t. He was correct. The insurance ordered OEM glass at no extra cost and will cover Acura calibrating the sensors.

I am also in the process of buying my first home so spending money unnecessarily isn’t the best idea.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 02-01-2022 at 05:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by KrylonBlue:
ESHBG (02-02-2022), MarcoTLX (02-01-2022), Tesla1856 (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 05:57 PM
AZ Community Team

One day this car will be a work of art. I have to have the repainted area from the collision touched up/sprayed because there are clear coat imperfections I noticed a bit ago but thought it was a dent. But the body shop, which is highly rated, didn’t even argue. They looked at what I pointed out and immediately said that’s an issue that shouldn’t have happened.

But yes, OEM glass is ordered.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 224 Posts
I do recall read a few in the acura tlx g1 forums having windshields cracking on the easy side. Only a few manufactures of replacements. I have heard from a place by me that safelite is not great in general but insurance companies won't pay for much else. In fact I couldn't get the insurance company to tell me what they would cover outside of safelite on a honda..
KrylonBlue (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 07:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by jhb31
I do recall read a few in the acura tlx g1 forums having windshields cracking on the easy side. Only a few manufactures of replacements. I have heard from a place by me that safelite is not great in general but insurance companies won't pay for much else. In fact I couldn't get the insurance company to tell me what they would cover outside of safelite on a honda..
I have also heard that Safelite glass isn’t the best. But it doesn’t appear these newer OEM windshields are much stronger as owners from many car brands seem to have more chipping and cracking issues than ever before. The fact is glass takes so many rocks that it’s hard to avoid damage. I have my front end wrapped in PPF and the whole car ceramic coated. I’m doing everything to keep the paint fresh but the windshield is just not easy.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 224 Posts
I have also heard that Safelite glass isn’t the best. But it doesn’t appear these newer OEM windshields are much stronger as owners from many car brands seem to have more chipping and cracking issues than ever before. The fact is glass takes so many rocks that it’s hard to avoid damage. I have my front end wrapped in PPF and the whole car ceramic coated. I’m doing everything to keep the paint fresh but the windshield is just not easy.
Yes, I was told this by the place the does the glass work for the body shop I use. I forget who the manufacture was as it's been a couple years. He told me safelite windshields sometimes have inperfections in the glass. That was his main issue why he didn't like using them. Acura glass doesn't seem all that durable based on how many in the 1G forums had issues with cracks. Normally though I prefer oem as that way you can't tell it was replaced. On a new car in most cases I would go with OEM as replaced glass is easy to spot when you go to sell and would always make me wonder if the car had been in an accident. My audi had the windshield replaced with genuine Audi parts and the only way I know is because the dealer service manager told me they did it as it was cracked a couple years back on mischief night. They sold and serviced the car before me buying it as a CPO. Otherwise no way to tell and nothing on carfax.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When returning a leased car, do they look at the windshield to make sure it is OEM? Seems like I've heard that they do.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,997 Likes on 1,419 Posts
Originally Posted by sooner_luvr
When returning a leased car, do they look at the windshield to make sure it is OEM? Seems like I've heard that they do.
depends on the person checking the car for damage. Some don't care that the rims are curbed while others will deduct money for the smallest wear.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
I am an absolute magnet for rocks drilling my windshield. Dropped my deductible to $100 and get OEM replacements.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:20 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Luckily I paid the $450 for the 3 year glass coverage provided by Acura. So I get an OEM replacement. That being said, there's apparently a shortage. I've been waiting 2 weeks so far.

Quick Reply: Replacement Windshield