Paint Peeling

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 06:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Paint Peeling

I’m awaiting my friend to let me know his opinion since he’s a service advisor but does anyone think Acura should cover this paint flaw? My car is just under two years old and the paint is peeling right below the driver side headlight.

Definitely not a paint chip…

Assuming if it does need to be repainted it’s just about where the PPF ends. Any full respray would mean I’d basically demand Acura pay to reapply ceramic coating and PPF. I hope a shop can avoid that though but I don’t know.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts
Did the Acura dealer put on that PPF? Because otherwise I suspect they'll say the installer did something to the paint when installing the PPF. True or not, that is the risk with aftermarket "mods"...
Old 07-29-2023, 08:18 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
Did the Acura dealer put on that PPF? Because otherwise I suspect they'll say the installer did something to the paint when installing the PPF. True or not, that is the risk with aftermarket "mods"...
No, but that film doesn’t even reach up that far. It’s peeling from an area that’s untouched by the shop. This is clearly a paint defect and I’m not sure how they could argue it as you can clearly see where the film stops and where the peeling begins.

I’ll be beyond pissed if they claim it’s an issue from the PPF with that said because the point is to protect the paint from damage yet their own paint job was faulty.

it looks as if the friction from the headlight rubbing against the bumper caused it as it’s real close in that area. It’s peeling from under the light

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 07-29-2023 at 08:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (07-31-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 10:49 PM
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
A paint defect! I believe you only have like 14k miles on the car, right? I'd definitely argue with Acura to repaint the bumper. I think in order to correctly paint it, they will have to repaint the whole thing and probably blend it into the fenders.

My SA is pretty good. I just had 2 windows replaced on my Type S because they were scratched. Although, I think that happened from the tinter, regardless, they still covered them for me.

Let us know what they end up doing for you! How haven't you noticed that before though? I'm assuming it just happened recently, or the PPF and/or ceramic coating installers would have noticed it.
Old 07-30-2023, 03:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by swttsx007
A paint defect! I believe you only have like 14k miles on the car, right? I'd definitely argue with Acura to repaint the bumper. I think in order to correctly paint it, they will have to repaint the whole thing and probably blend it into the fenders.

My SA is pretty good. I just had 2 windows replaced on my Type S because they were scratched. Although, I think that happened from the tinter, regardless, they still covered them for me.

Let us know what they end up doing for you! How haven't you noticed that before though? I'm assuming it just happened recently, or the PPF and/or ceramic coating installers would have noticed it.
This just happened recently. Believe it or not I check over my car often and do so after each wash which is done by hand. The PPF was applied two years ago and this is now just happening. That’s a paint flaw for sure.

I am about to hit 16K so yes definitely unacceptable.

Acura will have to not only repaint but cover the cost of PPF and ceramic coating. I’m not paying for their mess up.
Old 07-30-2023, 07:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
I couldn’t even get Acura to warranty a defective key fob . All I can say is best of luck
Old 07-30-2023, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
This has been a Honda/Acura issue for years around the headlights and tail lights. Fortunately none of mine have had the issue...yet. Good luck on the PPF replacement, you will likely have to go all the way up to corporate, depending on your SA. My SA is great but when I asked about getting my defective puddle light replaced, if they have to take off/damage the PPF, I expect them to reimburse me to replace it and he said "no". Sounds like it is a non-issue with the puddle light replacement, so I should be ok, but I would have appealed it up all the way, if needed.
Old 07-30-2023, 10:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by wdmacura
This has been a Honda/Acura issue for years around the headlights and tail lights. Fortunately none of mine have had the issue...yet. Good luck on the PPF replacement, you will likely have to go all the way up to corporate, depending on your SA. My SA is great but when I asked about getting my defective puddle light replaced, if they have to take off/damage the PPF, I expect them to reimburse me to replace it and he said "no". Sounds like it is a non-issue with the puddle light replacement, so I should be ok, but I would have appealed it up all the way, if needed.
That will be my goal.

I understand they will likely battle me but if the dealer offers PPF, whether I use them or not, it’s a valid installed accessory. If their paint fails it’s not on me to pay to replace something due to their fault. Especially something that’ll cost almost $1000 to do.

As for your puddle light it’s a non issue. I’ve had mine replaced many times and the PPF is fine.
Old 07-30-2023, 10:39 AM
Pro

I agree, the hard part if anything is going to be having them cover the PPF and ceramic coating. Naturally, they're gonna blame one of the two, if not the 2 as the culprit of the paint peeling.

Do you have a positive relationship with your SA at Acura? Worst case scenario, ask them to goodwill the repair. Is this your first Acura that you purchased through them?

Old 07-30-2023, 11:18 AM
AZ Community Team

I agree, the hard part if anything is going to be having them cover the PPF and ceramic coating. Naturally, they're gonna blame one of the two, if not the 2 as the culprit of the paint peeling.

Do you have a positive relationship with your SA at Acura? Worst case scenario, ask them to goodwill the repair. Is this your first Acura that you purchased through them?
The service advisor is someone I now consider a good friend which is why I know they’ll go to bat for me with Acura corporate if needed.

I also have done all of my servicing at this dealer since 2012.

I purchased my 2019 TLX and 2021 Type S through them.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 07-30-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:58 AM
Pro

Use all of that to your advantage! You are DONE with Acura if they don’t help you out with this! It’s obviously a flaw, so they should take responsibility!

Just a thought here… maybe stop by a reputable body shop and have them take a look at the spot in question. They should be able to confirm whether it’s a paint flaw or not. If possible, get something in writing that they believe it is as well and present that to Acura too.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:59 AM
Pro

You’re in IL, correct? Do you use McGrath Acura in Libertyville?
Old 07-30-2023, 12:02 PM
AZ Community Team

Use all of that to your advantage! You are DONE with Acura if they don’t help you out with this! It’s obviously a flaw, so they should take responsibility!

Just a thought here… maybe stop by a reputable body shop and have them take a look at the spot in question. They should be able to confirm whether it’s a paint flaw or not. If possible, get something in writing that they believe it is as well and present that to Acura too.
I sent the image to my friend and am awaiting a call back. He’s very familiar with body work as he restores cars so I’ll know if it’s worth doing so. Clearly to all of us it’s a paint flaw though. Paint doesn’t just peel off in that manner otherwise.
Old 07-30-2023, 12:03 PM
AZ Community Team

You’re in IL, correct? Do you use McGrath Acura in Libertyville?
McGrath Acura of Westmont was such a bad experience I have never gone back to that dealer group. In short they scratched my brand new TSX to hell and back.

I always visit Advantage Acura, formally Continental, for any purchases and service.
Old 07-30-2023, 12:50 PM
Pro

I may have to try out Advantage! I am happy with Acura of Brookfield, WI, but I’m always willing to try another good dealership. I, too, have had issues with McGrath!
Old 07-30-2023, 01:13 PM
AZ Community Team

I may have to try out Advantage! I am happy with Acura of Brookfield, WI, but I’m always willing to try another good dealership. I, too, have had issues with McGrath!
I definitely recommend Advantage. If you visit please ask for Rick. He works Tuesday-Saturday. I also like Joe but Rick has always ensured I am taken care of and is very understanding. He’s the reason I always choose to get my maintenance done there.
Old 07-30-2023, 02:09 PM
Pro

PM me your name. I’ll say you recommended me!
Old 07-30-2023, 02:12 PM
AZ Community Team

PM me your name. I’ll say you recommended me!
All you need to say is Stephen with the Blue TLX Type S recommended you. Rick will know immediately. 😅
Old 07-30-2023, 08:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
All you need to say is Stephen with the Blue TLX Type S recommended you. Rick will know immediately. 😅
Sounds good, will do! Any word yet on whether or not Acura will take care of the paint peeling issue for you?
Old 07-30-2023, 08:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Sounds good, will do! Any word yet on whether or not Acura will take care of the paint peeling issue for you?
Ill talk to him tomorrow hopefully but not sure what he will need and if I need to bring it in before he files it.
Old 07-31-2023, 02:52 PM
AZ Community Team

I was in the neighborhood of my preferred body shop and I had my guy there take a look at it. He said it’s definitely a defect from the manufacturer but he doesn’t recommend having them remove the PPF and touching up the area. He said the whole bumper wouldn’t need to be repainted but that side would and it would in turn mean the whole bumper needed to have a new clear coat.

The main issue is he wouldn’t recommend installing PPF or ceramic coating for 90 days after a respray. And as we know within that time I’ll likely get more rock chips than this little spot currently is. We spoke for a bit and I think we both believe the best course of action is to have my detailer that installed the PPF should carefully cut off the flap and touch it up with some touch up paint. It’s not a highly notice area but doing a full respray would allow chips in visible areas.

I still intend to speak with Acura before doing any of this to get it in writing that it is indeed a defect and if something gets worse it may need a respray. But for now it’s best to leave it.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:13 PM
Pro

I was in the neighborhood of my preferred body shop and I had my guy there take a look at it. He said it’s definitely a defect from the manufacturer but he doesn’t recommend having them remove the PPF and touching up the area. He said the whole bumper wouldn’t need to be repainted but that side would and it would in turn mean the whole bumper needed to have a new clear coat.

The main issue is he wouldn’t recommend installing PPF or ceramic coating for 90 days after a respray. And as we know within that time I’ll likely get more rock chips than this little spot currently is. We spoke for a bit and I think we both believe the best course of action is to have my detailer that installed the PPF should carefully cut off the flap and touch it up with some touch up paint. It’s not a highly notice area but doing a full respray would allow chips in visible areas.

I still intend to speak with Acura before doing any of this to get it in writing that it is indeed a defect and if something gets worse it may need a respray. But for now it’s best to leave it.
I completely understand your thoughts, but personally, I know that it would bother me. However, is he correct about the 90 days. Honestly, I would probably wait even longer than that. If the paint isn't fully cured by that point and you put PPF on, it could potentially rip the paint off if you decide to remove it down the road.

I guess if you could get it touched up well, it probably wouldn't be a huge deal. You might want to look into a place that does airbrush touch-ups. I know a local detailing shop near me has a body shop that does that. I've had touch-ups done on previous cars, and the airbrush touch-ups always looked better than those done by hand in my opinion.

Definitely follow-up with Acura!
KrylonBlue (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 10:28 PM
AZ Community Team

I completely understand your thoughts, but personally, I know that it would bother me. However, is he correct about the 90 days. Honestly, I would probably wait even longer than that. If the paint isn't fully cured by that point and you put PPF on, it could potentially rip the paint off if you decide to remove it down the road.

I guess if you could get it touched up well, it probably wouldn't be a huge deal. You might want to look into a place that does airbrush touch-ups. I know a local detailing shop near me has a body shop that does that. I've had touch-ups done on previous cars, and the airbrush touch-ups always looked better than those done by hand in my opinion.

Definitely follow-up with Acura!
I will be. It’s not even that obvious of a flaw now. The image is up close. But risking a bunch of rock chips over 90 days+ is much worse than this. I just need it documented so if I ever remove the film for a new one it’s covered if it peels more.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 761 Posts
Acura of Brookfield is such a rip off for parts and the one time I used them for service, years ago, their service manager had the worst inflated ego I had ever seen. I feel since they are in Brookfield, a "richer" city, they can charge what they charge. I will probably never shop there again if I am looking at Acura in the future.
KrylonBlue (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 11:13 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
Acura of Brookfield is such a rip off for parts and the one time I used them for service, years ago, their service manager had the worst inflated ego I had ever seen. I feel since they are in Brookfield, a "richer" city, they can charge what they charge. I will probably never shop there again if I am looking at Acura in the future.
Very interesting! I actually asked for and dealt with the service manager, Colin. He was very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful! He pushed for me to have Acura cover the 2 side windows that had scratches in them. I also had a puddle light fixed there under warranty, and they were quick to get it done.

What was the exact issue that you had? Which Acura dealership do you use since you're probably somewhere close to me (I'm in Pleasant Prairie)?

Old 08-02-2023, 11:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 761 Posts
Very interesting! I actually asked for and dealt with the service manager, Colin. He was very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful! He pushed for me to have Acura cover the 2 side windows that had scratches in them. I also had a puddle light fixed there under warranty, and they were quick to get it done.

What was the exact issue that you had? Which Acura dealership do you use since you're probably somewhere close to me (I'm in Pleasant Prairie)?
Can't remember the guys name, but Colin doesn't ring a bell. It was about 6-7 years ago when I had my Silver 3G. I had some suspension rattle/squeak I couldn't for the life of me figure it out so last ditch effort was to bring it in. They tried selling me so much extra stuff that had recently been done by me and said I didn't know what I was talking about. Also their parts dept is/was a joke, the mark up on parts is crazy. I ended up having the parts shipped from a dealer out of state for a fraction of what they wanted. They didn't even want to entertain the idea of price matching so I would buy from them. Hopefully they have changed for the better, but I don't see my shopping for an Acura anytime soon.

I am out in Waukesha.
Old 08-04-2023, 01:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by wdmacura
This has been a Honda/Acura issue for years around the headlights and tail lights
Agreed. We later found out we were not the only ones this happened to back then. Apparently, many vehicles were improperly painted.

The bumper paint came-off in sheets around the headlight the first time my wife washed her 2014 MDX.

Acura Regional Service Manager just happened to be visiting or Acura dealer. He approved the whole bumper (well bumper cover) to be repainted. The proper paint is same pigment color but has additives (elastomeric or similar) for flexible bumpers. In 6-years, never had another problem with it.
Old 08-04-2023, 01:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I couldn’t even get Acura to warranty a defective key fob .
Sad. Did they at least do the programming for free?

Hey, why is your 2023 Integra 6MT already in "Past group" ?
Old 08-04-2023, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

My car is just under two years old and the paint is peeling right below the driver side headlight.
With the PPF situation and trying to get Acura to assume responsibility for the whole repair.

Unless you are planning to keep the car forever ...
if you have to pay for paint or PPF ... you might consider one of the mobile bumper-repair guys ... just fix that one spot? I think the bumper (or headlight) will need to be removed. I'm sure they would freak-out when they arrive, but if you did the disassembly yourself, I bet they could do their quick-spot-paint-fix better.
Old 08-04-2023, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Sad. Did they at least do the programming for free?

Hey, why is your 2023 Integra 6MT already in "Past group" ?
I ended up going to another dealership that did warranty it. The one that didn't ended up going out of business (good riddance to them).

Sold the Integra because my Bronco arrived earlier than expected, and I don't have enough space in the garage for 3 cars.

ETA on the gut-and-rebuild-I-mean-renovation for our new place is summer 2025; garage will have high ceilings so I can install a couple lifts, so with any luck I'll be able to have an ITS in there, among a few other cars I've been wanting to buy but just don't have room for.

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-04-2023 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2023, 06:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fiatlux

1. Sold the Integra because my Bronco arrived earlier than expected, and I don't have enough space in the garage for 3 cars.

2. ETA on the gut-and-rebuild-I-mean-renovation for our new place is summer 2025
2. sounds cool.

1. Same here. We can have (and I can take care of) only two nice vehicles at a time . No way I'm keeping this class of vehicles outside, not in the garage.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:02 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
With the PPF situation and trying to get Acura to assume responsibility for the whole repair.

Unless you are planning to keep the car forever ...
if you have to pay for paint or PPF ... you might consider one of the mobile bumper-repair guys ... just fix that one spot? I think the bumper (or headlight) will need to be removed. I'm sure they would freak-out when they arrive, but if you did the disassembly yourself, I bet they could do their quick-spot-paint-fix better.
I am planning to either have my detailer look at it and touch it up or have a mobile paint guy my dealership uses as my friend says he does great work. It’s not a high visibility area but if the bumper does need to come off it’s something Acura can do under warranty. I’m not repairing the whole bumper for a small area but since it’s peeling I do want it touched up nicely.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:16 PM
AZ Community Team

I spoke with my trusted Acura advisor and he told me he’d look to have the bumper repainted. He says the peeling looks like it may start to peel more sideways and even could begin to lift the PPF up as it continues. He’s seen this before with Pearl White on the last generation MDX.

I am going to take it in and let them take the needed photographs to send to Acura and go from there. I asked about using my body shop but he said they’d have to use an Acura certified shop. Thankfully, he assures me that this shop is fantastic and I trust him on that one.

We shall see. I may just go without PPF at that point as I highly doubt Acura will cover it and I’m not spending a fortune on it at this point into ownership.