New Type S Owner and Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Those reviewers are also driving the car as it was meant to be driven. ............describe the Type-S very well for what it is
Yeah, saw one youtube chubber talking about how Acura gave him permission to do a few no pace car, unaccompanied & runs at the Laguna Seca show. Belts up, gets his helmet on the proceeds to drive the track like he is on I95 at 15mph over. "Whoa great handling, these brakes really grip" (nobody told him they had track pads on the car) and so on for what had to he a historically slow lap. I expected they were going to have to help him out of the car after all the strain & stress.

So do we & they (youtubers) all agree that Jon Ikeda Senior VP and General Manager of Acura is full of shit presenting the Type-S as the Pinnacle Of Performance instead of a nice family oriented Daily Driver. Also that you all know that Acura always knew how the Type-S was meant to be driven. To the office, supermarket, nursery school, home & just tried to create the performance image to squeeze a few more bucks out of the guys thinking they were getting an actual sports sedan level competitor.

Funny how quickly the we will take on the world fans morphed into the we don't care about..............Pick anything the Type-S can't do vs the first team

Also if you thought those responses to Sams vids were even & not mostly negative maybe you might take another look. An example of pretty even responses might be the Sams, 2022 Genesis G70 VS Audi S4 3.3T The two cars that dumped the Type-S in Sams vids

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-23-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 03:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaws54
The M340 is a great car. There is no question about it, although I would 100% have reliability concerns as with most modern BMWs.

I chose the Acura (I could get any car I want) because it ticks all of the boxes for me and the cost of entry is much lower than the competition.

again, it’s a daily driver. It is what I wanted
Just and FYI the B58 is very reliable. BMW is actually tied with Acura's reliability rating. It's some OLDER Bmw's that have the reliability concerns
Old 08-23-2021, 03:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,090 Likes on 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Yeah, saw one youtube chubber talking about how Acura gave him permission to do a few no pace car, unaccompanied & runs at the Laguna Seca show. Belts up, gets his helmet on the proceeds to drive the track like he is on I95 at 15mph over. "Whoa great handling, these brakes really grip" (nobody told him they had track pads on the car) and so on for what had to he a historically slow lap. I expected they were going to have to help him out of the car after all the strain & stress.

So I agree that Jon Ikeda Senior VP and General Manager of Acura is full of shit presenting the Type-S as the Pinnacle Of Performance instead of a nice family oriented Daily Driver. Also that you all know that Acura always knew how the Type-S was meant to be driven. To the office, supermarket, nursery school, home & just tried to create the performance image to squeeze a few more bucks out of the guys thinking they were getting an actual sports sedan level competitor.

Funny how quickly the we will take on the world fans morphed into the we don't care about..............Pick anything the Type-S can't do vs the first team

Also if you thought those responses to Sams vids were even & not mostly negative maybe you might take another look. An example of pretty even responses might be the Sams, 2022 Genesis G70 VS Audi S4 3.3T The two cars that dumped the Type-S in Sams vids
1) FIFY, not one of the YouTube reviews I listed said nothing even close to that statement so I edited your response to reflect reality. You, me and others on here are entitled to our opinion but that's our opinion. Those reviewers had their opinions as well but not the same as you wrote.

2) I don't take Sam's video's seriously, he's sorta a midway from serious reviewers like AoA/SG/MM/Edmunds to the more humor based Scotty Kilmer, Doug Demiro And Tyler Hoovie. So like TH they're there for more humor at times than say someone like AoA who's a engineer and fairly subjective and analytical in his reviews. Alex is not there for laughs, that's for sure.

3) Since Sam's reviews are mostly humor based, I didn't even bother with the comments. I glanced over some of the more serious Type-S review video's I listed they were seemed fairly objective and subjective.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-23-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
The M340 is a great car. There is no question about it, although I would 100% have reliability concerns as with most modern BMWs.

I chose the Acura (I could get any car I want) because it ticks all of the boxes for me and the cost of entry is much lower than the competition.

Fair warning, some here may find that completely unacceptable.
The following users liked this post:
ZipSpeed (08-24-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 04:16 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Yeah I agree. The thing for me is bmw design on the exterior and interior… I just have never been a fan. The m340i looks doesn’t excite me and the interior looks dated.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:10 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 299 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by djhtsx
Yeah I agree. The thing for me is bmw design on the exterior and interior… I just have never been a fan. The m340i looks doesn’t excite me and the interior looks dated.
I kinda like the exterior and interior, especially this combination:

Old 08-23-2021, 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Havent been a fan of the design of the three series since the E46. m340i does make up for the overall look and lack presence with performance though.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mike03a3
I kinda like the exterior and interior, especially this combination:

That's a 5 Series, and no car "Base" looks that great. When you add the M Performance Parts, shadowline package the car looks mean and has presence.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Jaws, are you ready to trade up now?
Old 08-23-2021, 06:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Jaws, are you ready to trade up now?
I’m good where I’m at.

Very happy with my choice.

911 Turbo S, Range Rover, Type S, wrangler Rubicon

BMWs don’t do anything for me. They all have the same interior and boring exteriors (except 8 series) and now ugly buck teeth
The following 3 users liked this post by Jaws54:
F23A4 (08-23-2021), jayunsplanet (08-24-2021), JDM_DOHC_SiR (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

1) FIFY, not one of the YouTube reviews I listed said nothing even close to that statement so I edited your response to reflect reality. You, me and others on here are entitled to our opinion but that's our opinion. Those reviewers had their opinions as well but not the same as you wrote.

2) I don't take Sam's video's seriously, he's sorta a midway from serious reviewers like AoA/SG/MM/Edmunds to the more humor based Scotty Kilmer, Doug Demiro And Tyler Hoovie. So like TH they're there for more humor at times than say someone like AoA who's a engineer and fairly subjective and analytical in his reviews. Alex is not there for laughs, that's for sure.

3) Since Sam's reviews are mostly humor based, I didn't even bother with the comments. I glanced over some of the more serious Type-S review video's I listed they were seemed fairly objective and subjective.
You missed it, must be an engineer overanalysis issue. Saw some but not all of the vids. Waste of time as they get very repetitive like an Acura set of talking points.

So, did anyone say this was a first class sports sedan & the Pinicial of the Performance species after they ran it hard? If they did not then they agree with me not the tons of bullshit verbiage Jon has spewed for how many years now. Did anyone drive it like it should not be driven according to some here, read sports sedan, or did they drive it like a competent daily drive sold in the millions every year?

Bumping it up 10 miles an hour over a moonshine road is not exactly a reasonable test for a car that's supposed to be the Pinnacle of sports sedans. A freek'N F-150 can do that.

Unless you can show me a vid that does a better job of running the Type-S in a sports sedan environment than what TH does or C&D Lightning Laps does its all just some youtubers opinion.

Personally I think Sam is Slow Sam but. big but, there are millions of Slow Sams on the road. His runs clearly demonstrate what you will see out of a traffic light, that in the hands of a set of very average drivers the Type-S does not measure up to the benchmark S4 & also gets punished by a car most would not even think of the G70 3.3. TH does the same + adds turns. TLX Type-S is near the bottom of the list.

So if its at the bottom of the performance metrics compared to the S4 it was benchmarked against which is also low on the metrics totem pole do you think the radio qualifies it as the Pinnacle of anything but the two car TLX lineup?

This is not a we have a great new car to pick your kids up from school in piece. When the MT guy says Pinnacle of Performance Jon jumps in with a big YES & talks sports sedans & performance with cars whizzing around on the track. Since the BOSS framed this car as a performance item it needs to be judged as a performance item not a "on I95 this is the way the car was meant to be driven" excuse.

Amazing how cars that can kick its butt in the performance arena can also do very well on I95 getting 31MPG at over 80MPH

Bottom line with the 3 guys you don't like are the only ones who run the cars against each other to see who in the winner in Jon's performance arena but also the first loser. Most youtubers just flap their lips with opinion after driving the car around a bit. A few put up Dragy or other numbers but there the TLX-S did not do very well.

So guess you don't agree the Jon in full of shit in that video & that he did not know by then his car was going to get crushed in head to head performance measurements. As for the its not a track car etc etc pretty much all car are porridge at normal road speeds or +10 +15.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-23-2021 at 07:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
jwtarbaj (08-24-2021), robnalex (08-26-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 07:44 PM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
I’m good where I’m at.

Very happy with my choice.

911 Turbo S, Range Rover, Type S, wrangler Rubicon

BMWs don’t do anything for me. They all have the same interior and boring exteriors (except 8 series) and now ugly buck teeth
Nice stable of cars you have there. Thanks for sharing your initial impressions. I've had mine for a few weeks now and am quite happy.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:20 PM
AZ Community Team

You missed it, must be an engineer overanalysis issue. Saw some but not all of the vids. Waste of time as they get very repetitive like an Acura set of talking points.

So, did anyone say this was a first class sports sedan & the Pinicial of the Performance species after they ran it hard? If they did not then they agree with me not the tons of bullshit verbiage Jon has spewed for how many years now. Did anyone drive it like it should not be driven according to some here, read sports sedan, or did they drive it like a competent daily drive sold in the millions every year?

Bumping it up 10 miles an hour over a moonshine road is not exactly a reasonable test for a car that's supposed to be the Pinnacle of sports sedans. A freek'N F-150 can do that.

Unless you can show me a vid that does a better job of running the Type-S in a sports sedan environment than what TH does or C&D Lightning Laps does its all just some youtubers opinion.

Personally I think Sam is Slow Sam but. big but, there are millions of Slow Sams on the road. His runs clearly demonstrate what you will see out of a traffic light, that in the hands of a set of very average drivers the Type-S does not measure up to the benchmark S4 & also gets punished by a car most would not even think of the G70 3.3. TH does the same + adds turns. TLX Type-S is near the bottom of the list.

So if its at the bottom of the performance metrics compared to the S4 it was benchmarked against which is also low on the metrics totem pole do you think the radio qualifies it as the Pinnacle of anything but the two car TLX lineup?

Jon Ideka & Motor Trend talk about the all new TLX-S Sports Sedan

This is not a we have a great new car to pick your kids up from school in piece. When the MT guy says Pinnacle of Performance Jon jumps in with a big YES & talks sports sedans & performance with cars whizzing around on the track. Since the BOSS framed this car as a performance item it needs to be judged as a performance item not a "on I95 this is the way the car was meant to be driven" excuse.

Amazing how cars that can kick its butt in the performance arena can also do very well on I95 getting 31MPG at over 80MPH

Bottom line with the 3 guys you don't like are the only ones who run the cars against each other to see who in the winner in Jon's performance arena but also the first loser. Most youtubers just flap their lips with opinion after driving the car around a bit. A few put up Dragy or other numbers but there the TLX-S did not do very well.

So guess you don't agree the Jon in full of shit in that video & that he did not know by then his car was going to get crushed in head to head performance measurements. As for the its not a track car etc etc pretty much all car are porridge at normal road speeds or +10 +15.
No, nothing to do with my engineeering overanalysis.

However you missed it, imagined it, or need a serious hearing test as I watched the whole YouTube you linked. There was nothing in that video about Pinnacle of Performance, where is it? They discuss the A4 and 3 series being competition for the regular TLX but Jon doesn't even commit to a 0-60 speed. And doesn't talk about what the competition is for the Type-S. However they do get into Jon's obsession with wagons and how he gets designers to draw up wagon concepts for the TLX.
Some more from that MT interview https://www.motortrend.com/features/...eda-interview/

In terms of your "Waste of time as they get very repetitive like an Acura set of talking points.", is there a Acura talking point to criticize their TLX transmission? Or lack of rear USB charging ports? Or tight rear seating?
Perhaps you don't like to hear positive thoughts about it? The video's I linked get into those points as well covering the pro's and con's of the Type-S, no one said it was perfect and no one said it was awful.

Mark from SG sums it up pretty well @ 24:10 "As like Johnny German car from this channel, this car at the price point it's at 53 thousand dollars is mind-blowing. This is the clear value in this segment it offers 99.9% of what the S4 and the 3-series does for a fraction of the cost and lower running costs as well"

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-23-2021 at 08:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
jayunsplanet (08-24-2021), WTF.Acura (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

However you missed it, imagined it, or need a serious hearing test as I watched the whole YouTube you linked. There was nothing in that video about Pinnacle of Performance, where is it? This is the clear value in this segment it offers 99.9% of what the S4 and the 3-series does for a fraction of the cost and lower running costs as well"
Try 1:08. Read their lips or try CC. As for 99.9% its just his opinion. Prefer actual numbers. Cost wise the guy needs to take economic 101. Things cost what people will pay for them. The TLX lines are just not worth that much to the consumer as some other brands lines are. The the average selling price of a car in the USA is $40.000 in 2020. IIRC The TLX average is around $45,000's the S is clearly well above that.

Two local dealers one has 5 his rival has 3. Hendrick is now at 0% for ILX & TLX. The brand boasts that it is “the most performance-focused sedan Acura has ever offered, built on an all-new platform, developed exclusively for TLX, and geared to the desires of today’s sport sedan enthusiast. while some others might say what’s the point of having a luxury car if there isn’t some prestige attached?

It doesn’t have German presence like the Audi A4, BMW 3 Series or Mercedes-Benz C-Class, nor does it have the European style of the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE or the aesthetic impact of the revived Volvo S60. And it starts out as a front-wheel-drive model, displeasing the enthusiasts. The purchaser assigns what the value of an item is & it will be interesting to see if S inventory builds up.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-23-2021 at 09:26 PM.
jwtarbaj (08-24-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 09:50 PM
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 264 Posts
@BEAR-AvHistory you are beating a dead horse here. Guys that wanted a top performer in this class have left the building and took their wallets with them. Type S is still a great car just don't pay ADM. Will it be a sales success or failure remains to be seen.
The following 7 users liked this post by dmski:
a35tl (08-23-2021), djhtsx (08-23-2021), F23A4 (08-24-2021), Honda430 (08-23-2021), jayunsplanet (08-24-2021), Legend2TL (08-24-2021), Nexx (08-24-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-23-2021, 11:57 PM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by dmski
Guys that wanted a top performer in this class have left the building....
....long ago......;-)
Old 08-24-2021, 12:14 AM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Mark from SG sums it up pretty well @ 24:10 "As like Johnny German car from this channel, this car at the price point it's at 53 thousand dollars is mind-blowing. This is the clear value in this segment it offers 99.9% of what the S4 and the 3-series does for a fraction of the cost and lower running costs as well"
Why does Audi even make the S4? How do they even sell them? The A4 has similar performance numbers to the Type-S so if the Type-S is 99.9% of the S4 the A4 is also 99.9% of the S4? Nobody wants that extra performance they pay extra money for anyway right? How are running costs lower if the Type-S gets worse gas mileage?

Funny you can't admit they said exactly what was claimed and you "didn't hear" in BEAR's video.

You are of course free to defend the foul up Acura made of this vehicle but when the Type-S is neck and neck with the base car from the competition, something is very wrong.

A4 beats Type-S in most acceleration measures, braking (Type w 1" larger Brembos) and road holding (A4 with All Seasons vs Type's wider Summer treads) oh and don't forget fuel economy, A4 takes that too....
BEAR-AvHistory (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 12:20 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,142 Likes on 817 Posts
It seems that for almost all forum members who have bought their TLX Type-S, they well aware of the Type-S being heavy, being not as quick as the S4/M3/C63-AMG, and being . . . . . (How could they not aware, when most 2G TLX threads all end up with this same discussion.)

But they have no regret making their vehicle choice, other than never stop enjoy driving their limited-availability Type-S around.

I guess the "being the fastest in acceleration numbers" factor is not as important as it seems for the majority of buyers choosing their next automobiles.

SGPMan (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 02:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
It seems that for almost all forum members who have bought their TLX Type-S, they well aware of the Type-S being heavy, being not as quick as the S4/M3/C63-AMG, and being . . . . . (How could they not aware, when most 2G TLX threads all end up with this same discussion.)

But they have no regret making their vehicle choice, other than never stop enjoy driving their limited-availability Type-S around.

I guess the "being the fastest in acceleration numbers" factor is not as important as it seems for the majority of buyers choosing their next automobiles.
Limited- availability car? Seriously? Limited availability like the FORD GT? Thought they could only get so many built for 2021. They are taking orders for 2022's & 5 are sitting on dealers lot & advertised on the web sites here in Raleigh. Guess I have an almost limited availability car & did not know it. Will get a custom tag 1 of 2,371 or 1 of 2,364 depends on whose counting. Will have my fact checker look into it.

On the other thing I don't think Jon got the message.....He can't put 10 words together without saying the "P" word or the "SS" word when talking about the Type-S. Think one of the geese guys said "10 minutes on Laguna Seca you know what this car isn't". Believe he was talking about the advertising of the car meeting the reality of the car. All I have said is he is correct not that the TLX-S is a bad car.

Your tag says you have one why did you buy it over the Advance top end I4 car for a $4800 premium? Will not hold it against the S that it has less equipment, some performance related than the I4 TLX. Its a nice car maybe they should advertise it as a nice car & stop pretending its something more than that.
robnalex (08-26-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 07:05 AM
AZ Community Team

Try 1:08. Read their lips or try CC. As for 99.9% its just his opinion. Prefer actual numbers. Cost wise the guy needs to take economic 101. Things cost what people will pay for them. The TLX lines are just not worth that much to the consumer as some other brands lines are. The the average selling price of a car in the USA is $40.000 in 2020. IIRC The TLX average is around $45,000's the S is clearly well above that.

Two local dealers one has 5 his rival has 3. Hendrick is now at 0% for ILX & TLX. The brand boasts that it is “the most performance-focused sedan Acura has ever offered, built on an all-new platform, developed exclusively for TLX, and geared to the desires of today’s sport sedan enthusiast. while some others might say what’s the point of having a luxury car if there isn’t some prestige attached?

It doesn’t have German presence like the Audi A4, BMW 3 Series or Mercedes-Benz C-Class, nor does it have the European style of the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Jaguar XE or the aesthetic impact of the revived Volvo S60. And it starts out as a front-wheel-drive model, displeasing the enthusiasts. The purchaser assigns what the value of an item is & it will be interesting to see if S inventory builds up.
I will concede that at 1:08 the interviewer says "pinnacle of performance", but where does Jon Ikeda say it or reference it? If you have a link please share. Do you now hold auto exec's to the words of their interviewers?

Originally Posted by jwtarbaj
Why does Audi even make the S4? How do they even sell them? The A4 has similar performance numbers to the Type-S so if the Type-S is 99.9% of the S4 the A4 is also 99.9% of the S4? Nobody wants that extra performance they pay extra money for anyway right? How are running costs lower if the Type-S gets worse gas mileage?

Funny you can't admit they said exactly what was claimed and you "didn't hear" in BEAR's video.

You are of course free to defend the foul up Acura made of this vehicle but when the Type-S is neck and neck with the base car from the competition, something is very wrong.

A4 beats Type-S in most acceleration measures, braking (Type w 1" larger Brembos) and road holding (A4 with All Seasons vs Type's wider Summer treads) oh and don't forget fuel economy, A4 takes that too....
I will admit I missed but it was said by the interviewer not the Acura exec, where does Ikeda mention Precision Crafted Performance? Guess you missed that?
And you of course free to hate all you want , I'm just here for presenting facts and

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-24-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:10 AM
Suzuka Master

I will concede that at 1:08 the interviewer says "pinnacle of performance", but where does Jon Ikeda say it or reference it? If you have a link please share. Do you now hold auto exec's to the words of their interviewers?
1:08 The flack says "but also sort of like this Pinnacle of more Performance" Jon responds "Yes the Type-S is back. We told everyone we are serious about our performance brand"

Jon agreed with the interviewer that its the Pinnacle of Performance & identified what he was agreeing to was the Type-S that is back. Jon did not correct him that its the official Acura word salad is "Precision Crafted Performance" Jon agreed to Pinnacle of Performance so Jon owns it.

Guess it sounded so good compared to the silly word salad they use he could not bring himself to correct the interviewer.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-24-2021 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:08 PM
Air Vice Marshal

That's a 5 Series, and no car "Base" looks that great. When you add the M Performance Parts, shadowline package the car looks mean and has presence.
Yeah, I know it's a 5. When I went to the Acura dealer to see and drive the car I've been waiting two years to finally be able to buy I was surprised by its size and weight. It's exactly the same length as a 5 Series and actually wider. It's also heavier than all the 5s except the M550ix. I was so disappointed with the Type-S I went straight to a BMW dealer to drive one of their cars for the first time.

My wife loved the 5 series, and I'm heading in that direction.
The following 2 users liked this post by mike03a3:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-24-2021), robnalex (08-26-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, I know it's a 5. When I went to the Acura dealer to see and drive the car I've been waiting two years to finally be able to buy I was surprised by its size and weight. It's exactly the same length as a 5 Series and actually wider. It's also heavier than all the 5s except the M550ix. I was so disappointed with the Type-S I went straight to a BMW dealer to drive one of their cars for the first time.

Enjoy! If you go this direction, please keep us posted on your ownership experiences (ideally not at the expense of those who chose the TLX-S instead), and let us know which trim you selected.
WTF.Acura (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G-Lover
....long ago......;-)
and there is nothing wrong with that. whats unfortunate is that there are others who will push their agenda on people who could care less if they are fastest.
djhtsx (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 03:17 PM
AZ Community Team

1:08 The flack says "but also sort of like this Pinnacle of more Performance" Jon responds "Yes the Type-S is back. We told everyone we are serious about our performance brand"

Jon agreed with the interviewer that its the Pinnacle of Performance & identified what he was agreeing to was the Type-S that is back. Jon did not correct him that its the official Acura word salad is "Precision Crafted Performance" Jon agreed to Pinnacle of Performance so Jon owns it.

Guess it sounded so good compared to the silly word salad they use he could not bring himself to correct the interviewer.
Jon said "Yes the Type-S is back. We told everyone we are serious about our performance brand" that does not mean "he owns it" or said it.
We agree to disagree, and leave it at that.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-24-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Nice to have options!
Old 08-24-2021, 09:12 PM
6G TLX-S

Limited- availability car? Seriously? Limited availability like the FORD GT? Thought they could only get so many built for 2021. They are taking orders for 2022's & 5 are sitting on dealers lot & advertised on the web sites here in Raleigh. Guess I have an almost limited availability car & did not know it. Will get a custom tag 1 of 2,371 or 1 of 2,364 depends on whose counting. Will have my fact checker look into it.

On the other thing I don't think Jon got the message.....He can't put 10 words together without saying the "P" word or the "SS" word when talking about the Type-S. Think one of the geese guys said "10 minutes on Laguna Seca you know what this car isn't". Believe he was talking about the advertising of the car meeting the reality of the car. All I have said is he is correct not that the TLX-S is a bad car.

Your tag says you have one why did you buy it over the Advance top end I4 car for a $4800 premium? Will not hold it against the S that it has less equipment, some performance related than the I4 TLX. Its a nice car maybe they should advertise it as a nice car & stop pretending its something more than that.
My reasons ? Simple. Like you said, it's an I4. I don't want I4, I want V6.

$4800 for extra torquey 80hp, big brakes, sport tuned suspension, driver adjustment suspension dampers, and light-weight wheels, is a grand bargain to me.

From my past experience in modding my previous Acuras, I would need to spend at least 2x that much to soup up the Advance in order to reach the Type-S level of performance, and with questionable reliability. Nothing beats the full factory warranty that comes with the OEM Type-S performance.

You choose to buy BWM's. It is perfectly fine to me. And I choose to buy Acura's. In return, I hope you don't hold any bad feeling about my personnel preference.

FYI, Acura Canada only makes 240 copies of TLX Type-S for the entire Canada. If this is not limited availability, I don't know what is.

Last edited by Edward'TLS; 08-24-2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:10 AM
Suzuka Master

$4800 for extra torquey 80hp, big brakes, sport tuned suspension, driver adjustment suspension dampers, and light-weight wheels, is a grand bargain to me.

From my past experience in modding my previous Acuras, I would need to spend at least 2x that much to soup up the Advance in order to reach the Type-S level of performance, and with questionable reliability. Nothing beats the full factory warranty that comes with the OEM Type-S performance.

You choose to buy BWM's. It is perfectly fine to me. And I choose to buy Acura's. In return, I hope you don't hold any bad feeling about my personnel preference.

FYI, Acura Canada only makes 240 copies of TLX Type-S for the entire Canada. If this is not limited availability, I don't know what is.
No problem good straight forward answer, one of the first BTW. Would not buy an I4 either & its why I spend more for an I6 with similar gear.

On limited availability I have would disagree & maybe the hall monitor can jump in. Different views on the wording I guess. To me limited availability typically is a special model like the PCM TLX where they did 500 units. To me the situation with the Type-S was a production shortfall & they had to try to fairly allocate the first batches of cars to the Canadian & US dealers.

So the cars were rationed. Yesterday the Type-S inventory of my two local dealers went from 5 to 7 cars with more in shipping according to their adds. The factory is ramping up, best they can with the lack of chips, but it appears they are starting to crank these car out.

BTW anyone looking for a TYPE-S Lieth Acura (Raleigh & Cary NC) along with Hendricks Acura Southpoint (Durham) look like they are selling at MSRP. Whta is showing today is:
Lieth
Platinum White Pearl
$53,825
Black
$53,825
Majestic Black Pearl 2 cars
$53,825
Apex Blue Pearl
Call for Price

Hendrick
White

$53,825
Tiger
$53,825
Old 08-25-2021, 02:48 PM
Air Vice Marshal

I trust and hope you will enjoy your new Type-S as much as I have enjoyed my old one. As sporty sedans go, the new one is likely to be a enjoyable and reliable choice. With Honda/Acura abandoning V-6 sedans, the Type-S was my last hope. A hope that was nourished by 14 years of satisfaction with my old one and a couple of years of relentless performance hype of the Second Coming. I had great expectations, so great that their hype all worked against Acura. In all their hype they neglected to mention bloat. The new one is 662 pounds, 20%, heavier than my '07 6MT. The new car is great handling compared to some (many) of the competitors, but you can certainly feel all the weight. When you throw it around.
But mostly I was a personal disappointment. It's quick and fast, but it just doesn't feel 14 years faster or better than my old one. They set the bar of my expectations so high I can walk under it without bending.
The same goes for technology. Again with the hype, but the reality is a car that lacks features (at least in the US) that are standard on most comparable cars, or at least optional. It doesn't offer, not even as options, technology I want that is available on most upper levels of the Acura and Honda product lines.

I'm not saying it's a bad car, or a poor choice for you or anyone else, just that for me it falls short of the expectations Acura created.
The following 3 users liked this post by mike03a3:
04WDPSeDaN (08-25-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (08-26-2021), robnalex (08-26-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 10:22 PM
Pro

I trust and hope you will enjoy your new Type-S as much as I have enjoyed my old one. As sporty sedans go, the new one is likely to be a enjoyable and reliable choice. With Honda/Acura abandoning V-6 sedans, the Type-S was my last hope. A hope that was nourished by 14 years of satisfaction with my old one and a couple of years of relentless performance hype of the Second Coming. I had great expectations, so great that their hype all worked against Acura. In all their hype they neglected to mention bloat. The new one is 662 pounds, 20%, heavier than my '07 6MT. The new car is great handling compared to some (many) of the competitors, but you can certainly feel all the weight. When you throw it around.
But mostly I was a personal disappointment. It's quick and fast, but it just doesn't feel 14 years faster or better than my old one. They set the bar of my expectations so high I can walk under it without bending.
The same goes for technology. Again with the hype, but the reality is a car that lacks features (at least in the US) that are standard on most comparable cars, or at least optional. It doesn't offer, not even as options, technology I want that is available on most upper levels of the Acura and Honda product lines.

I'm not saying it's a bad car, or a poor choice for you or anyone else, just that for me it falls short of the expectations Acura created.
have you even test drove the type s??
Old 08-26-2021, 12:07 AM
Air Vice Marshal

have you even test drove the type s??
yes
BEAR-AvHistory (08-26-2021), djhtsx (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 12:28 AM
6G TLX-S

Sorry to hear that the TLX Type-S is not good enough a car for you. Seems like you need to look at other auto brands for your next purchase.

However, the TLX-S is good enough to stay in my garage. Even though (like you said) the car is missing some features and techs, and the curb weight is super heavy, the overall TLX-S package remains to be my car choice.

I don't have as high an expectation on this car as you do. I don't need to beat everyone (especially S4/M3/C63-AMG) on the roads. I'm more than satisfy with a 5-sec car which can also handle well around corners. It saves me $, time, and hard work not needing to find aftermarket parts to mod the car. After all, the TLX-S is currently the highest performing vehicle in the Acura lineup, second only to the NSX.

Nothing is perfect. There are always some hits and some misses for all products. It is impossible to please all buyers. Even with 1/4 million dollar supercars, some car enthusiasts can still manage to find faults with them.

F23A4 (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 01:52 AM
Pro

yes
cool sure, doesn’t seem like it based off all of your previous post but I’ll take your word 😆
Old 08-26-2021, 08:49 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem good straight forward answer, one of the first BTW. Would not buy an I4 either & its why I spend more for an I6 with similar gear.

On limited availability I have would disagree & maybe the hall monitor can jump in. Different views on the wording I guess. To me limited availability typically is a special model like the PCM TLX where they did 500 units. To me the situation with the Type-S was a production shortfall & they had to try to fairly allocate the first batches of cars to the Canadian & US dealers.

So the cars were rationed. Yesterday the Type-S inventory of my two local dealers went from 5 to 7 cars with more in shipping according to their adds. The factory is ramping up, best they can with the lack of chips, but it appears they are starting to crank these car out.

BTW anyone looking for a TYPE-S Lieth Acura (Raleigh & Cary NC) along with Hendricks Acura Southpoint (Durham) look like they are selling at MSRP. Whta is showing today is:
Lieth
Platinum White Pearl
$53,825
Black
$53,825
Majestic Black Pearl 2 cars
$53,825
Apex Blue Pearl
Call for Price

Hendrick
White

$53,825
Tiger
$53,825
The highest VIN's I've seen on dealer websites or in the shipping pipeline on official Acura website are in the low 1200's. Does Marysville have the capacity to pump out 750 to 800 more in the next month or two to meet the 2000 units they claimed for 2021 MY, or is the chip shortage going to hamper deliveries? Almost Sept. now gonna be hard to sell a car Stamped 2021 in Nov and Dec or later without a discount.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by oldsnwbrdr
Give the trackpad a chance. I started off hating it, now it’s the best interface yet devised.
I won't say that it's the best interface yet devised.....but the trackpad is better than people suggest.

My only quibble is that I think it's dumb for it to be a trackpad where your finger identifies where it's pointing on the regular interface but when you go to CarPlay, you have to start swiping around. Other than that, it's a good interface and better than the reviews suggest.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 26 Posts

If you don't mind spending the money, a BMW 5 series is an objectively better car than the TLX and frankly, it's not close. That said, a 5 series worth owning is going to sticker about $20k higher than the Type S.....so "better" is gonna cost you and in five years, that BMW will be worth $35k less than you bought it for. I know....because I owned a 2013 5 series. The 5 series is a great car, but mine was worth only 21% of its original MSRP for trade-in when it was 8 years old.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:51 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts

I resemble that remark! 😀 I've been driving Hondas and Acuras since 1970. My last was a 2001 CL-S that was pretty impressive in its day. We bought a '21 TLX SH-AWD Tech a few months ago and planned to trade it next year for a Type-S. The 2.0L TLX was a very nice car, and clearly, the Type-S is also a very nice car that's faster. If Acura had just marketed and priced it as a faster V6 Trim, the car would be getting more respect. A Motortrend reviewer put it well: "Some of our test team found the TLX's handling splendid, but others felt the racy sheet metal was writing checks that its chassis couldn't cash." I would add that Acura's marketing of the Type-S has been writing even more checks that the car can't cash. It's really kind of embarrassing for the brand.

But I have to thank Acura's marketing team for one thing: They got me thinking about the difference between the Type-S and a real performance car. Many of the Type-S reviews mentioned the BMW M340i as an example of the real deal to which the Type-S doesn't even come close. It made me curious. I recently drove one and It blew me away in every respect. In a couple of weeks, some nice German folks are scheduled to build one for us. Thanks to Acura Marketing for steering me in the right direction and thanks to my wife for her approval!

I have no disrespect for the Type-S or its owners. It's a very nice car in many respects- one that I'm sure I would enjoy driving. Yes, the M340i is going to cost us more coins (again, thanks to my wonderful wife!), but hell, I'm 68 years old, and if I'm lucky I'll maybe have one more new car before I cash in my chips, so I decided to go for the real deal instead of a very nice poser. Again, thank you Acura Marketing!

Last edited by robnalex; 08-26-2021 at 11:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by robnalex:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-26-2021), ELIN (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 11:51 AM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At the risk of being slightly off topic... How long do you think it will be before there is a good Hondata tune for the Type S? I'm hoping by Christmas, but will more likely be around Spring time. Thoughts?
Old 08-26-2021, 12:05 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Originally Posted by flatlandtlx
I won't say that it's the best interface yet devised.....but the trackpad is better than people suggest.

My only quibble is that I think it's dumb for it to be a trackpad where your finger identifies where it's pointing on the regular interface but when you go to CarPlay, you have to start swiping around. Other than that, it's a good interface and better than the reviews suggest.
Oddly enough, two of the much maligned features of the new Type-S are some of the things I liked. After playing around with the trackpad for a while on the showroom floor and again when driving I actually liked it. I suspect a bit more time with it and more muscle memory for finger locations and I'd really like it a lot.

I also like the old style speedometer and tachometer instrumentations! While many here moan about the lack of a digital dash, over on the BMW forums people are complaining about the new digital display in the 5 series facelift models and wish they had the analog gauges. You can't please all of the people . . . ever.
BEAR-AvHistory (08-26-2021), F23A4 (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Think its a truism that the higher you get into the luxury car market the less they will return over time. The 5 series first time buyers are generally in a different demographic than entry level & they themselves would not buy a second hand 5 series. Mostly because they just don't buy second hand cars.

That said BMW sold a bit over 25,000 5's in 2020 & 38,000 in non-virus 2019. By way of comparison Acura sold 21,785 in 2020 & 26,548 in non-virus 2019. So there is no shortage of dealer maintained BMW 5 series cars coming off lease. Economics large pool of cars, less attractive to first buy target demographic, leads to lower second owner prices.

The other thing is most first time buyers could care less about what the car will be worth in 10 years. Luxury car are generally not held long term because the buyers want the next new luxury car. The only number they care about is just the residual value in two or three. The base for their lease rate. Mine is in the low 60's. Expect I could do a buyout & sell deal for more than I paid for the car.

Quick Reply: New Type S Owner and Review