New Ride! TYPE S!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 09:22 PM
Professional Sh1tposter

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Let’s do a quick Google search for series 3 and Honda accord sales in 2022…. Yeah mkay bmw “destroying” sales with 30k compared to Hondas 150k lmfao
Old 06-09-2023, 09:40 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Baksju
Let’s do a quick Google search for series 3 and Honda accord sales in 2022…. Yeah mkay bmw “destroying” sales with 30k compared to Hondas 150k lmfao
🤪I was talking in their class... TL, TLX, IS, Q50,A4, C class...
Old 06-09-2023, 09:47 PM
Professional Sh1tposter

Then the numbers would be more in advantage for Japanese sales lmao, dig deeper bro
Old 06-10-2023, 06:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
We had some fun here with bmw, let’s go back to the original topic! Any post moving forward about bmw will be deleted in this thread.

Feel free to discuss in TLX vs. Competition thread
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
F23A4 (06-10-2023), frainc (06-10-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 06:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
The market knows best what cars hold up well over time, as opposed to bought and paid for rankings (JD Power). Just look at the NADA values on a 5-10 year old BMW versus Honda/Acura/Lexus and see what the market thinks about the longevity, reliability of older BMWs.

Here's a preview -- a 2013 3 Series can be had for the mid-teens to about 20K (some higher, some lower). A 2013 Honda Accord (which we own -- splendid car), which cost about 50% of the 3 series when new, is about the same price, maybe just a tick lower.
On the flip side you can get a nice german cpo at a good discount from new (at least in normal times). If you're a buyer that worries about depreciation and cost of ownership then toyota/honda (lexus/acura) is probably the choice and those were some of the primary reasons I have had multiple honda's/acuras/toyotas. Anyway, nice choice by the OP. That is the color I wished I had opted for on my last TLX (modern steel?).
Old 06-10-2023, 07:14 AM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
@swttsx007, how do you like the trunk space?
Old 06-10-2023, 11:11 AM
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
@swttsx007, how do you like the trunk space?
it’s more than adequate for my needs!
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (06-10-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 04:09 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 374 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by swttsx007
Totally agree! I drove a BMW 340Mi as well. I really liked the looks of the Type S better though… the Type S is such a great value when you look at all that you get standard in it!
You and me Chose the Type-S for the same reason! I test drove a M340i xDrive and I really loved the performance it had but it just don't have the road presence that the TLX-S has and that sealed the deal for me!
Old 06-10-2023, 04:30 PM
Drifting

Did anyone consider the AMG CLA45 against the Type S? There's not a whole lot of cost difference b/w them and they're technically in the same "class".
Old 06-10-2023, 06:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
You and me Chose the Type-S for the same reason! I test drove a M340i xDrive and I really loved the performance it had but it just don't have the road presence that the TLX-S has and that sealed the deal for me!
The TLX is a much better-looking car. There's no doubt that the 340Mi has better performance than the two, but the Type S is SO much more striking!
Old 06-11-2023, 08:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Did anyone consider the AMG CLA45 against the Type S? There's not a whole lot of cost difference b/w them and they're technically in the same "class".
Like most other "hot hatches" ... including the CTR, ITS, Elantra N, WRX, etc ... these cars, IMO, are fine for those still young and in their 20's, despite them getting too expensive for people in those age groups to afford. Seeing someone middle aged in these types of cars ... again, my opinion ... you simply look foolish. I suppose my ego isn't robust enough to handle the thought of the looks I'd get being in my 40's in one of these. Then again, we know the mental gymnastics people can play ... thinking all the looks are people gawking at their "hella sweet track machine" ... when they're actually wondering why there's a grown-ass man driving a chick's car with red seats and a giant wing.

All the more reason I wish they'd start throwing larger turbos at the TLX.

I even started looking at Giulia Quadrifoglio's ... I'd never pay sticker for one, but supposedly deep discounts may be looming. On my research of the QV, I read on a thread that you can get G80 M3's for 10% off sticker while the QV isn't getting the deep discounts, and why the Hell would you get an Alfa Romeo over an M3 when the M3 can be had for slightly less. If that ever becomes reality in the US, I'm without question buying a bucktooth Bimmer.

Last edited by leomio2.0; 06-11-2023 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-11-2023, 01:46 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0

All the more reason I wish they'd start throwing larger turbos at the TLX.

A larger turbo will have even more dreadful turbo lags. The TLX needs a twin-turbo V6 or super-charged V6 instead.
The following 2 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
ELIN (06-11-2023), RDX10 (06-13-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 02:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
A larger turbo will have even more dreadful turbo lags. The TLX needs a twin-turbo V6 or super-charged V6 instead.
A supercharged V6 engine would be nice!

I had a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP way back in the day. I loved the instant boost from the supercharger!

Last edited by swttsx007; 06-11-2023 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-11-2023, 04:51 PM
Professional Sh1tposter

You guys must be dreaming if you think Honda will put supercharger in any of their cars lol
The following 2 users liked this post by Baksju:
bilirubin (06-11-2023), MarcoTLX (06-12-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

The TLX-S does not suffer from any real noticeable turbo lag. It actually excels in how quick it spools its turbo. It could stand to lose some of its low end to help it more on the top end with a larger turbo ... perhaps even raise its rev limiter. With tuning now available for the Type-S, hopefully someone is developing something. Though, the low sales volume may make many not feel it's worth the development time and cost.
Old 06-11-2023, 11:44 PM
6G TLX-S

There are times when I'm cruising at city speed (IDS set to Normal) and the traffic light suddenly turns yellow. I immediately press down hard on the gas pedal - nothing, no extra power. Then suddenly the transmission downshifts a gear or two, the turbo gauge red spot appears, and a gush of power propels my car forward.

I believe this is called "turbo lag".
Old 06-12-2023, 06:58 AM
Drifting

There are times when I'm cruising at city speed (IDS set to Normal) and the traffic light suddenly turns yellow. I immediately press down hard on the gas pedal - nothing, no extra power. Then suddenly the transmission downshifts a gear or two, the turbo gauge red spot appears, and a gush of power propels my car forward.

Any chance this could be transmission slippage like what I was experiencing on my A-Spec?
Old 06-12-2023, 09:09 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi guys!

Thanks so much! I’m setting up my tint appointment this afternoon!

I have a couple of questions regarding the TLX.

Is the wireless charger in the car any good? Maybe it’s me, but I swear it takes forever to charge my iPhone 14 Pro.

Is anyone using a wireless adapter for CarPlay? If so, any recommendations?

I look forward to really getting familiar with this car! All I’ve got to say is that if I definitely think it’s one of the best vehicles that you’re going to find in it’s price range!

I’ve been using the wireless adapter from Amazon for a year now, so far it’s flawless.

The wireless charging is a disaster with the iPhone 14 pro with the camera lens protruding. I’m using the magsafe charger and used double sided tape to secure it.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:04 AM
Burning Brakes

This is just poor transmission tuning. It happens on the RDX as well and people have actually gotten rid of it because they hate it. For whatever reason, this exact scenario has been brought up quite a bit with how these 10ATs are tuned. Thankfully, mine doesn't really do that. What I will say, if I creeping to a slow stop and looking to shoot a gap in traffic to merge, the transmission won't smoothly downshift and almost slams into gear.

Turbo lag would be driving along in the right gear, punching it and waiting a split second or longer for the turbos to spool up for power to build. At least from my test drive, the TLX-S had absolutely not problems getting going, but falls really flat on the big end.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:12 AM
Drifting

This is just poor transmission tuning. It happens on the RDX as well and people have actually gotten rid of it because they hate it. For whatever reason, this exact scenario has been brought up quite a bit with how these 10ATs are tuned. Thankfully, mine doesn't really do that. What I will say, if I creeping to a slow stop and looking to shoot a gap in traffic to merge, the transmission won't smoothly downshift and almost slams into gear.

Turbo lag would be driving along in the right gear, punching it and waiting a split second or longer for the turbos to spool up for power to build. At least from my test drive, the TLX-S had absolutely not problems getting going, but falls really flat on the big end.
That's what happened to me as well on my A-Spec. I would be looking to enter a highway and would roll the dice on if I was getting hit! No such issues on my X3 and the peace of mind was worth turning in the car 1 year early!
I don't think this issue would be different on a Type S either since it's the lower gears you need to get going and if it doesn't...

Folks really need to respect that this is a real issue for some. I took a lot of heat from non-believers who thought I was making it up.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:35 AM
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts
That's what happened to me as well on my A-Spec. I would be looking to enter a highway and would roll the dice on if I was getting hit! No such issues on my X3 and the peace of mind was worth turning in the car 1 year early!
I don't think this issue would be different on a Type S either since it's the lower gears you need to get going and if it doesn't...

Folks really need to respect that this is a real issue for some. I took a lot of heat from non-believers who thought I was making it up.
This is a totally different scenario. The scenario Edward was describing is exactly what Leo explained, transmission tuning. Transmission shifting speed and aggressiveness is different in various drive modes. That is why the downshift delays are not as evident in the other modes like sport.

The occurrence that has been reported which is what you were experiencing was failing to upshift or being thrown into neutral while accelerating already.

Last edited by richii0207; 06-12-2023 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Nope, nothing to not believe ... it's been well documented on the RDX with people claiming power lag for a full 2-3 seconds while trying to make a quick turn. SavageGeese documented something similar in their MDX Type-S. There's seemed to be far worse though, with the car actually putting itself into neutral rather than an inexplicable power cut.

Knock on wood, I haven't experienced it with mine, but literally two weekends ago on my way home from a wedding, I was merging onto a funky on-ramp on a parkway in the Bronx and slowed and then quickly accelerated. The car wasn't happy and slammed into gear with a loud clunk, jolted the whole cabin and then set off.

I leave the drive mode in 'Sport', which I believe they made 'Normal' mode in the TLX and MMC RDX. Did you normally drive in Comfort? I find that throttle inputs are noticeably dampened in Comfort mode, which is why I don't drive in that mode.
Old 06-12-2023, 12:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by richii0207
This is a totally different scenario. The scenario Edward was describing is exactly what Leo explained, transmission tuning. Transmission shifting speed and aggressiveness is different in various drive modes. That is why the downshift delays are not as evident in the other modes like sport.

The occurrence that has been reported which is what you were experiencing was failing to upshift or being thrown into neutral while accelerating already.

Nope, nothing to not believe ... it's been well documented on the RDX with people claiming power lag for a full 2-3 seconds while trying to make a quick turn. SavageGeese documented something similar in their MDX Type-S. There's seemed to be far worse though, with the car actually putting itself into neutral rather than an inexplicable power cut.

Knock on wood, I haven't experienced it with mine, but literally two weekends ago on my way home from a wedding, I was merging onto a funky on-ramp on a parkway in the Bronx and slowed and then quickly accelerated. The car wasn't happy and slammed into gear with a loud clunk, jolted the whole cabin and then set off.

I leave the drive mode in 'Sport', which I believe they made 'Normal' mode in the TLX and MMC RDX. Did you normally drive in Comfort? I find that throttle inputs are noticeably dampened in Comfort mode, which is why I don't drive in that mode.
@richi0207, I don't know what to tell you. What happened to the guys on SG and their MDX Type S happened to me and my observations are well documented and match the video.

@leomio2.0, at least on the TLX 2.0 (and I would imagine the Type S as well), "Normal" and "Comfort" have the same response transmission-wise. After buying more recent cars (both of them '23 models), I see that Normal/Comfort on the TLX is equivalent to "Eco" on other brands in that taking your foot off the throttle disengages the engine and coasts for more fuel econ (this also makes it harder to brake since you don't have assistive braking from downshifting). It was only under "Sport" that the engine characteristic changed. Putting the A-Spec in "Sport" didn't help me in any way when exiting a parking lot or entering highway via a short entry ramp due to the issue being documented across multiple Acura models.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:04 AM
Pro

@richi0207, I don't know what to tell you. What happened to the guys on SG and their MDX Type S happened to me and my observations are well documented and match the video.

@leomio2.0, at least on the TLX 2.0 (and I would imagine the Type S as well), "Normal" and "Comfort" have the same response transmission-wise. After buying more recent cars (both of them '23 models), I see that Normal/Comfort on the TLX is equivalent to "Eco" on other brands in that taking your foot off the throttle disengages the engine and coasts for more fuel econ (this also makes it harder to brake since you don't have assistive braking from downshifting). It was only under "Sport" that the engine characteristic changed. Putting the A-Spec in "Sport" didn't help me in any way when exiting a parking lot or entering highway via a short entry ramp due to the issue being documented across multiple Acura models.
Edward’s scenario: Floor it, transmission then has a slight delay to downshift, then proceeds to downshift with engine on full load/acceleration. Can be corrected with another drive mode. Transmission tuning.

SG’s scenario: After turning and going WOT approaching redline, transmission does not upshift and can go into neutral, causing the car to fall flat. Unknown cause, rumor is that it’s the torque-vectoring diff as this is also reported in Audis as well.

Which scenario sounds like occurred to you? Then we’ll have our answer
Old 06-13-2023, 07:28 AM
Drifting

Edward’s scenario: Floor it, transmission then has a slight delay to downshift, then proceeds to downshift with engine on full load/acceleration. Can be corrected with another drive mode. Transmission tuning.

SG’s scenario: After turning and going WOT approaching redline, transmission does not upshift and can go into neutral, causing the car to fall flat. Unknown cause, rumor is that it’s the torque-vectoring diff as this is also reported in Audis as well.

Which scenario sounds like occurred to you? Then we’ll have our answer
For the record, Edward'TLS hasn't told us how his car behaves in any condition other than IDS at "Normal". It's up to him to report back if his car behaves differently under "Sport".

Old 06-13-2023, 07:46 AM
Pro

For the record, Edward'TLS hasn't told us how his car behaves in any condition other than IDS at "Normal". It's up to him to report back if his car behaves differently under "Sport".
What he described was downshift speed, which is common to have a longer delay in non-sport modes so that there is no downshift jerk for mild acceleration to create a smoother ride. Imagine the car instantly downshifting for any amount of acceleration and how uncomfortable that would be.

But which scenario of the two did you experience?

Last edited by richii0207; 06-13-2023 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-13-2023, 09:25 AM
Drifting

What he described was downshift speed, which is common to have a longer delay in non-sport modes so that there is no downshift jerk for mild acceleration to create a smoother ride. Imagine the car instantly downshifting for any amount of acceleration and how uncomfortable that would be.

But which scenario of the two did you experience?
I experienced what happened in the SG video.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:40 AM
6G TLX-S

No such delay or "lag" in Sport or Sport+ mode.

When the IDS is set to Sport or Sport+ mode, the transmission is continuously being kept at the optimized low gears for maximum acceleration, and thus the engine rpm is kept high, and the turbo-charger is running in a spooled up state. Power delivery is almost instantaneous.

As long as the engine rpm is kept high and the turbo-charger is spooled up (even in Comfort or Normal mode), there is no delay/lag for instant power delivery.

However, I'm puzzled at why the transmission has to downshift to delivery more engine power. On paper, the J30AC is supposed to generate peak torque between 1500 to 5000 rpm.

ELIN (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 05:36 AM
Drifting

No such delay or "lag" in Sport or Sport+ mode.

When the IDS is set to Sport or Sport+ mode, the transmission is continuously being kept at the optimized low gears for maximum acceleration, and thus the engine rpm is kept high, and the turbo-charger is running in a spooled up state. Power delivery is almost instantaneous.

As long as the engine rpm is kept high and the turbo-charger is spooled up (even in Comfort or Normal mode), there is no delay/lag for instant power delivery.

However, I'm puzzled at why the transmission has to downshift to delivery more engine power. On paper, the J30AC is supposed to generate peak torque between 1500 to 5000 rpm.
Yes, what you are experiencing is definitely different than my issue on the TLX.

At least my explanation that the TLX is essentially in "ECO" mode under Normal/Comfort explains your change in engine aggressiveness.
The only other car I had in recent memory w/ECO as the default driving mode was the GL450, but that was a 19 mpg car (if you're lucky!). That car was also difficult to modulate the brakes since it was another heavy car coasting under ECO.

I have an ECO mode on my X3 but that's not the default when starting the car (preferred mode can't be saved just like TLX).
Edward'TLS (06-15-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 07:27 AM
Drifting

Quote below is appropriate to recent convo and matches what richii0207 was describing was happening in my TLX.

Here's the famous SG video I've been talking about and one of the reasons I gave up on the TLX (skip to the 6:00 mark):

https://youtu.be/Q9aLpSclHj8

Ignore the fact this is a video for the MDX as the problem exists for TLX and RDX as well (I haven't heard any reports from the Integra).

So is this slip into neutral b/w 2nd and 3rd gear a reliability issue or a "feature"?
Old 06-14-2023, 11:00 AM
Pro

Received 509 Likes on 248 Posts
Quote below is appropriate to recent convo and matches what richii0207 was describing was happening in my TLX.
FWIW, I've tried several times to recreate the issue in my TLX-S and it never happened even once.
Old 06-14-2023, 11:37 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bilirubin
FWIW, I've tried several times to recreate the issue in my TLX-S and it never happened even once.
It's apparent it's not happening to everyone. When it does happen, let's just take the owner's word that it's happening!

Apologies, @swttsx007, for hijacking the thread!
Old 06-15-2023, 04:36 PM
6G TLX-S

Calling it poor transmission tuning doesn't hide the fact that our turbo has turbo lag.

One of the beauties of force-induction engines is that they can generate large amount of low-end torque from a small engine displacement, provided that the turbo-charger or super-charger has fully spooled up. The Acura J30AC twin-scroll-single-turbo 3L-V6 has a tuque curve that is flat like a table top (which is a very good design), and peak torque is achieved from a lowly 1,500 rpm all the way to 5,000 rpm, not unlike the massive low-end torque curve generated by big block V8 engines. What this means is that the J30AC can theoretically pull the car at maximum acceleration from 1,500 all the way to 5,000 rpm, irrespective of what gear it is in; in a similar way as a big block V8.

When a big block V8 vehicle is cruising at a lowly 1,500 rpm, a heavy punch in the right foot will be immediately rewarded by instant acceleration (no lag time, no tranny kick down, no fanfare, no nothing). However, not so with the TLX Type-S , which is supposed to behave the exact same way as the V8 vehicle. The problem is that the J30AC turbo is just starting to spool up at 1,500 rpm, and max torque isn't fully available just yet. So the transmission needs to be kicked down a few gears, so the engine rpm can spin above 1,500 rpm, and as a result, forces the turbo-charger to come fully online.

There is a time lag between a request for more power and the turbo-charger comes online. Turbo lag ? I think it is.

Old 06-15-2023, 04:43 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love that ride man looks amazing could you get it in the sun and get different angles

I just got a 2Ø1ò ACURA TL SH-AWD

Hey All,

So, I ended up picking up a Type S this afternoon and it wasn't planned! We originally went to Acura because I was interested in moving out of my 21' RDX Aspec and into a 23' TLX Aspec. I test-drove a 23' TLX Aspec and liked it, but on the way in from the test drive my wife spotted a modern steel gray TYPE S. She commented about how sporty and nice looking it was. So, I immediately was like yeah, they're sweet, but the quotes I had gotten online were outrageous for it. She then said, "You should drive it." I kind of balked, because I knew I'd like it better than the Aspec model. Yeah, well, I drove it and that was the end of deciding which vehicle I wanted! This thing is a beast, a totally different car compared to the Aspec model!

I was able to get what I wanted for my RDX and managed a little to get some rebates/incentives and wiggle some $ off the Type S. Nonetheless, I am pretty stoked! I'm scheduling my tint appointment as we speak!

I did end up leasing it, so I am not too worried about hammering it with only 20 miles on it! I had to test it out

Old 06-15-2023, 07:22 PM
Professional Sh1tposter

Calling it poor transmission tuning doesn't hide the fact that our turbo has turbo lag.

One of the beauties of force-induction engines is that they can generate large amount of low-end torque from a small engine displacement, provided that the turbo-charger or super-charger has fully spooled up. The Acura J30AC twin-scroll-single-turbo 3L-V6 has a tuque curve that is flat like a table top (which is a very good design), and peak torque is achieved from a lowly 1,500 rpm all the way to 5,000 rpm, not unlike the massive low-end torque curve generated by big block V8 engines. What this means is that the J30AC can theoretically pull the car at maximum acceleration from 1,500 all the way to 5,000 rpm, irrespective of what gear it is in; in a similar way as a big block V8.

When a big block V8 vehicle is cruising at a lowly 1,500 rpm, a heavy punch in the right foot will be immediately rewarded by instant acceleration (no lag time, no tranny kick down, no fanfare, no nothing). However, not so with the TLX Type-S , which is supposed to behave the exact same way as the V8 vehicle. The problem is that the J30AC turbo is just starting to spool up at 1,500 rpm, and max torque isn't fully available just yet. So the transmission needs to be kicked down a few gears, so the engine rpm can spin above 1,500 rpm, and as a result, forces the turbo-charger to come fully online.

There is a time lag between a request for more power and the turbo-charger comes online. Turbo lag ? I think it is.
So using that logic in my previous car 2007 TLS when I was cruising and slammed the gas pedal and it had to downshift before accelerating that means it has turbo lag even though the car didn’t have a turbo on it?
Old 06-15-2023, 10:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Every turbo technically has some amount of "lag", but it's almost unnoticeable on the Type-S. I promise you, having a positive displacement supercharged V8 that's put down 600 to the rear wheels, you can absolutely get it to bog like a dog if you're in the wrong gear. i.e: Cruising at 65MPH at 1500RPM in 6th, if I nailed it, even a Civic Si would be able to take me if they were in the right gear. 20MPH in 3rd at 1500RPM? Same story, until it reached its powerband and I'd slingshot past them like they were standing still. Really the only gear you'd be good in is 1st, which would be the same story for the Type-S.

Yes, the car makes max torque at 1500RPM, but that doesn't mean it's making max power at that low of RPM as well. It's still a linear power curve like anything else, and being in the wrong gear at the wrong speed will only exacerbate that fact. Every car still has an optimal RPM range for its power. Start in the right gear and nail the gas. The delay you feel in this scenario, from flooring the gas pedal to feeling the actual thrust of acceleration, is what turbo lag is. Not the time it takes for the transmission to kick down to get to the optimal gear for the speed you're going. I implore you to try it. Next time you have an open stretch of road, put it in Sport+ mode with the transmission in Sport manual, downshift into whatever gear will get you ~3500RPM, leave it there for a moment and then nail it. Do you feel a delay in power or time to build up to full power?

Turbos work off exhaust gas pressure, they're not RPM based. So even if you're at the right RPM, if there's not enough load, it's still going to take some time for the turbos to actually make power. Well, back in the old days before the technology that's implemented now where turbo lag is so minimal on most every manufacturer's application. Look up some old roll race videos of guys with giant single turbos ... they'll stand on the brakes while nailing the gas to brake boost the car, otherwise the turbo lag costs them the race. That's turbo lag. It was imperceptible on my test drive of the TLX-S ... much like the 2.0T on my RDX. Honda/Acura did a good job with the turbo application in this regard.

Last edited by leomio2.0; 06-15-2023 at 10:11 PM.
Edward'TLS (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 03:27 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by Baksju
So using that logic in my previous car 2007 TLS when I was cruising and slammed the gas pedal and it had to downshift before accelerating that means it has turbo lag even though the car didn’t have a turbo on it?
The above is normal behavior for almost all vehicles that come with small displacement (< 4L) naturally aspirated engines. Even with today's engine technology and Honda expertise, it is still not possible to generate large amount of low end torque with small displacement naturally aspirated engines. Peak torque is only available towards the mid to high rpm range.

Although it is possible to generate huge dose of horsepower by spinning the engine at unrealistically high rpms, peak horsepower is often located at close to the engine red line. For low end torque, there is no replacement for engine displacement, except by going the forced induction route.

Force induction technology allows a small displacement engine to generate enough low end torque (from low to high rpm range) that can rival V8 engines.

2007 TLS : J35A8 (naturally aspirated) - 286hp @6200rpm, 256lb-ft @5000rpm
2021 TLX-S : J30AC (turbo charged) - 355hp @5500rpm, 354lb-ft @1400rpm

What it means is that when your 2007 TLS is cruising along leisurely at say 2000 rpm, the transmission MUST downshift a gear or two to put the engine in the correct (mid to high) rpm band to provide some decent passing power.

As for a TLX-S cruising along leisurely at say also 2000 rpm, the engine is already spinning in the peak torque rpm band for maximum passing power. No downshift is required whatsoever. The only thing holding it back is turbo lag.

I hope this will clear up the confusion in the low end torque characteristics between naturally aspirated and forced induction engines.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:45 AM
Drifting

The above is normal behavior for almost all vehicles that come with small displacement (< 4L) naturally aspirated engines. Even with today's engine technology and Honda expertise, it is still not possible to generate large amount of low end torque with small displacement naturally aspirated engines. Peak torque is only available towards the mid to high rpm range.

Although it is possible to generate huge dose of horsepower by spinning the engine at unrealistically high rpms, peak horsepower is often located at close to the engine red line. For low end torque, there is no replacement for engine displacement, except by going the forced induction route.

Force induction technology allows a small displacement engine to generate enough low end torque (from low to high rpm range) that can rival V8 engines.

2007 TLS : J35A8 (naturally aspirated) - 286hp @6200rpm, 256lb-ft @5000rpm
2021 TLX-S : J30AC (turbo charged) - 355hp @5500rpm, 354lb-ft @1400rpm

What it means is that when your 2007 TLS is cruising along leisurely at say 2000 rpm, the transmission MUST downshift a gear or two to put the engine in the correct (mid to high) rpm band to provide some decent passing power.

As for a TLX-S cruising along leisurely at say also 2000 rpm, the engine is already spinning in the peak torque rpm band for maximum passing power. No downshift is required whatsoever. The only thing holding it back is turbo lag.

I hope this will clear up the confusion in the low end torque characteristics between naturally aspirated and forced induction engines.
I have to agree with everyone else that what you're experiencing is just Acura's implementation of an "ECO" mode but has actually called it "Normal" or "Comfort". Drive any other car that has an ECO mode and you will experience the same characteristics:

1) less aggressive acceleration
2) coasting w/foot off throttle (engine disengaged)
3) harder to brake (because of #2)

This is a design decision where Acura favored fuel economy over a sporty response for every drive mode!
Old 06-16-2023, 09:45 AM
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome color, I'm a sucker for the metallic grays. I went with Apex because it was out of my comfort zone but if a gray would have been at the dealership that gave me the deal I may have went with gray.
Old 06-16-2023, 11:10 AM
6G TLX-S

I have to agree with everyone else that what you're experiencing is just Acura's implementation of an "ECO" mode but has actually called it "Normal" or "Comfort". Drive any other car that has an ECO mode and you will experience the same characteristics:

1) less aggressive acceleration
2) coasting w/foot off throttle (engine disengaged)
3) harder to brake (because of #2)

This is a design decision where Acura favored fuel economy over a sporty response for every drive mode!
Agree with you for all cars that don't have massive low-end torque, big block V8 engines.

On big block V8 cars that has massive low-end torque, on-demand acceleration is instantaneous and is all-out, even in ECO mode.

Even though our J30AC torque curve mimics that of a V8 engine, there is still a turbo spool up time before maximum acceleration can be realized.