Many pre-owned TLX in dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022 | 03:00 PM
Cruisin'

Red face Many pre-owned TLX in dealerships

Hi, my first post here

I've never owned an Acura, and now looking into TLX. What is strange is that Acura dealership has 3-4 2021 cars with 6-7k miles on the lot. It is Seattle area. These days it looks strange even for not that popular model.

The official story is that Acura provided a few loaners ) But it looks more like people dump them quickly. However, I would expect them to dump them somewhere else, not back in Acura

One good explanation I have is that they dump them in favor of the new MDX.
Any other explanation? Mainly any common problems?

Old 08-20-2022 | 06:25 PM
6G TLX-S

Nowadays the used vehicle market is so skewed that a-couple-months-old pre-owned vehicles can fetch even higher prices than the original purchased price. So expect to see lots of speculators dumping their "new" vehicles back onto the used car market, after having made off some profits.

Old 08-20-2022 | 07:01 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by crimeariver
Hi, my first post here

I've never owned an Acura, and now looking into TLX. What is strange is that Acura dealership has 3-4 2021 cars with 6-7k miles on the lot. It is Seattle area. These days it looks strange even for not that popular model.

The official story is that Acura provided a few loaners ) But it looks more like people dump them quickly. However, I would expect them to dump them somewhere else, not back in Acura

It is plausible that they are loaner vehicles. My local dealer swaps them out yearly at that mileage too. They always have the newest model year available as loaners.
The following users liked this post:
rlx015 (12-04-2022)
Old 08-20-2022 | 07:39 PM
Cruisin'

If I can check the VIN of one of those, can I see the difference between loaner and leased?
Old 08-20-2022 | 11:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Hi, my first post here

Could be loaners.
But I think it also depends on what they are exactly. If just FWD models (or lower trim) owners might have traded them back in for a TLX Type-S (with shAWD and the V6). That one wasn't available at first release (with the 2.0T models).
Old 08-21-2022 | 04:25 AM
Cruisin'

I think at least 4 were Tech+, not sure about the FWD/AWD. That was exactly strange that I had an opportunity to try a car in the trim and color that I need )

But since you all don't rush to highlight any issues, it is probably all good...
Old 08-21-2022 | 04:41 AM
Cruisin'

Just checked their inventory online: 1 Tech, 4 A-spec, all AWD https://www.acuraofbellevue.com/sear...p=used&yr=2021

All 2021 and 4 out of 5 have 6-7k miles.. probably the best indicator of a loaner.
Old 08-21-2022 | 05:28 AM
Cruisin'

Just noticed they do share Carfax themselves, lol. Only one or two looks like loaners and are registered as a corporate fleet. Others show an owner. One had 8 alignment checks in 3 months. Yikes.
Old 08-21-2022 | 08:03 AM
Drifting

OP, a very smart thing to do when considering a car you know nothing about is to check owner's threads and see how real owners are liking the car. For this specific car, you can check here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...thread-990844/

I got my '21 TLX in Fall 2020 on a 3 year lease. As I'm nearly done with 2 years and one of the more vocal owners, you'll see quite a bit of commenting from me in AZ. If I could do it all again, I prob would not have stuck with Acura or put so much downpayment down. I'd trade-in the car in a heartbeat to take advantage of the crazy used car prices to get something else if it was financially smart but it isn't.

Read the entire owners thread or peruse the rest of the TLX section in AZ to find your answers!
Old 08-21-2022 | 09:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Not sure what’s the point of this thread. If you see a lot of TLX then good for you. That may give you négociation power and you can get it cheaper. Who cares what dealers say?

there are plenty of threads that you can find here and on Facebook about pros and cons of TLX. And of course YouTube! This thread is useless and doesn’t bring any value. Sorry but have to shutdown this thread.

Last edited by Tony Pac; 08-21-2022 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-21-2022 | 09:41 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Not sure what’s the point of this thread. If you see a lot of TLX then good for you. That may give you négociation power and you can get it cheaper. Who cares what dealers say?

there are plenty of threads that you can find here and on Facebook about pros and cons of TLX. And of course YouTube! This thread is useless and doesn’t bring any value.
I disagree. A new user comes in with a legit question and you find some way to criticize the post. What kind of message are we sending to current and prospective Acura owners? If you can't add to the discussion as everyone else has, I suggest not posting at all.
silverTL6 (08-25-2022)
Old 08-21-2022 | 09:42 AM
AZ Community Team

Thanks for you message. But if he is looking for issues and pros/cons. We have a ton of threads. No need to open another one.
have a good day!
Old 08-23-2022 | 07:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ELIN
I disagree. A new user comes in with a legit question and you find some way to criticize the post. What kind of message are we sending to current and prospective Acura owners? If you can't add to the discussion as everyone else has, I suggest not posting at all.
We welcome free discussion on acurazine as long as it is respectful and provides useful information. The OP may have another question if they are trying to purchase a new car and we welcome discussions for this. This thread's main question has been answered and I can expand on it. A certain % of acura's made are given to dealers as loaners and usually registered as fleet on the carfax. This helps keep current owners trying out new cars and eventually purchase new vehicles. In addition, it helps control the supply of used cars and firm up the pricing on the used market. Many acura owners don't end up leasing, this leads to a stagnation of used cars that dealers need to attract buyers. It's a brilliant plan that they've been doing for quite a long time. I've had almost new loaners from my Acura dealer since 2005 and it has certainly influenced my perceptions in a positive manner. At BMW, I'd always get base 328's (E90) and 320's (F-Chassis)(once a 335D E90 which was EPIC) all said it was not the best considering I was dropping off a 7-series. With Acura I've always had a nice variety and never had to worry about what type of loaner I'd get.

Last edited by csmeance; 08-23-2022 at 07:23 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by csmeance:
ELIN (08-23-2022), Jim2301 (08-31-2022), Legend2TL (10-03-2022), MarcoTLX (08-24-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by csmeance
The OP may have another question if they are trying to purchase a new car and we welcome discussions for this.
Thanks for un-locking the thread as well as adding your input.

OP had another question, but since this thread had been locked, I tried to help him via PM with that one.

silverTL6 (08-25-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 07:30 PM
Drifting

While I don't discount that the cars in questions may have been part of the loaner fleet, I can say that at least at my dealership, it's been pretty hard to get a newer loaner. They gave me a 1st gen TLX as loaner during my 2 week warranty repair. About the only thing I did welcome on the loaner was the lack of a rattle on the driver-side door panel. Most test drives normally aren't made on un-even ground so I really didn't hear it.
Old 08-23-2022 | 07:48 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for you message. But if he is looking for issues and pros/cons. We have a ton of threads. No need to open another one.
have a good day!
My dude, you started a thread about the Precision EV in the TLX subforum and you’re complaining about too many threads? Come on now, at least his was about the TLX…
silverTL6 (08-25-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 07:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by fiatlux
My dude, you started a thread about the Precision EV in the TLX subforum and you’re complaining about too many threads? Come on now, at least his was about the TLX…
My brother, we did not know: Read what I wrote: "Based on the short 8 second video, it looks like it's the concept of a SUV. As we all know, sedan market is not doing well. What will be the future of TLX? Will we get a TLX EV or Acura will be a SUV brand?"
Old 08-23-2022 | 07:53 PM
Safety Car

My brother, we did not know: Read what I wrote: "Based on the short 8 second video, it looks like it's the concept of a SUV. As we all know, sedan market is not doing well. What will be the future of TLX? Will we get a TLX EV or Acura will be a SUV brand?"
His question about loaners was much more relevant than you trying to manufacturer a discussion about a TLX EV, yet you locked his thread? Nobody even talked about the pros/cons of the TLX which is how you justified locking the thread down. Seems more like you got your jimmie’s rustled by the mere prospective of that conversation and decided to flex your new powers.
silverTL6 (08-25-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

While I don't discount that the cars in questions may have been part of the loaner fleet, I can say that at least at my dealership, it's been pretty hard to get a newer loaner. They gave me a 1st gen TLX as loaner during my 2 week warranty repair. About the only thing I did welcome on the loaner was the lack of a rattle on the driver-side door panel. Most test drives normally aren't made on un-even ground so I really didn't hear it.
That may be a regional/dealer specific thing with the gen of loaners they give. I would go to Acura in Orlando and both were great. Even Acura in Miami was great for an emergency visit for a family friend.

Originally Posted by fiatlux
^ Dude, really? Was this necessary? Did you feel better after posting this and being a bully?
Legend2TL (10-03-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 08:03 PM
Safety Car

That may be a regional/dealer specific thing with the gen of loaners they give. I would go to Acura in Orlando and both were great. Even Acura in Miami was great for an emergency visit for a family friend.

^ Dude, really? Was this necessary? Did you feel better after posting this and being a bully?
Yes really. Someone decides to lock someone else’s thread because it has allegedly been covered in other threads (it has not) but then has his own thread of questionable relevance? And then proceeds to double down on that decision? I’m the bully for calling out that type of hypocrisy? Ok then.
legend74 (10-08-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 08:07 PM
Pro

The OP was asking if there were any major problems that the TLX has which could potentially explain the reason of the high volume of used TLXs in the dealer lot. He was not asking our opinions of the car.

The thread was initially shut down because it could be seen as someone asking about opinions of the TLX, which we have many threads about. The proof of this misinterpretation can be seen by one user sharing his thoughts about the TLX.
Old 08-23-2022 | 08:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Mainly any common problems?
The answer to this original question is here (and in many other threads)
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post16817664

But since it sounds like you are "looking for a good deal" you could definitely do worse than the Acura TLX.
I almost bought one. Try to get a good extended warranty (for a fair price).
Personally, I would only be interested in Tech (or higher) with shAWD. Type-S will be quicker.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 08-23-2022 at 08:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-23-2022 | 08:42 PM
AZ Community Team

OP - I apologize if I locked your first thread. Perhaps I misunderstood your question. I am glad, @csmeance reviewed and reopened your thread and answered your question. Hope you enjoy the forum. cheers!
KrylonBlue (08-24-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 08:48 PM
Pro

Mainly any common problems?
The biggest problems that some TLX owners have reported:
- Puddle lights going out
- Misaligned body panels

Straight to the point answer for the OP without being subjective.

Last edited by richii0207; 08-23-2022 at 08:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by richii0207:
MarcoTLX (08-24-2022), Tony Pac (08-23-2022)
Old 08-24-2022 | 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by richii0207
- Misaligned body panels

Isn't there a wireless charging issue too for phones? (minor)
Old 08-24-2022 | 06:34 PM
Pro

Isn't there a wireless charging issue too for phones? (minor)
I’m not sure, I haven’t had any issues with wireless charging with my TLX.
Old 08-25-2022 | 04:54 PM
AZ Community Team

I’m not sure, I haven’t had any issues with wireless charging with my TLX.
Newer iPhones have issues due to the oversight to actually test these pads with the most popular phone(s) before shipping the vehicles out. The charging coils in the pad don’t line up.
Old 08-25-2022 | 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
Newer iPhones have issues due to the oversight to actually test these pads with the most popular phone(s) before shipping the vehicles out. The charging coils in the pad don’t line up.
If that's all it is, maybe report it. Who knows, they might revise the part (for newer models) and since interior is the same ... the part might retro-fit into older 2G models.
Old 08-27-2022 | 01:15 PM
Drifting

- Misaligned body panels

Since you opened this can of worms, let me add to the list:

* Newer sonar shield in the front of the car often gets icy buildup that leads to false proximity alarms or a message that tells you it can no longer be relied on for info (issue for folks in icy/snowy climates).
* Same shield gives alarms when folks walk past the car while it's stopped at a light (issue for urban folks with lots of crosswalks. this issue may exist for other car makers too)
* Multiple reports of rotors getting warped after low mileage. I'm sure the very long stopping distance is not helping.
* Infotainment w/CP or AA is very flaky and occassionally requires a reboot by putting the car in Park, shutting off engine, opening driver side door, and restarting the car. Another method exists that involves getting into the Android layer of the system but not everyone will be comfortable messing around here!
* Infotainment needs time to boot up properly before CP/AA will work. If your vehicle is garaged, wait until you see the infotainment screen before backing the car out or your phone may not be recognized.
* Some folks purchase this car w/o realizing there is no spare tire. A compressor and sealant bottle is included to fix flats.

Did I forget anything?
ESHBG (08-28-2022)
Old 08-27-2022 | 04:54 PM
Pro

Since you opened this can of worms, let me add to the list:

* Newer sonar shield in the front of the car often gets icy buildup that leads to false proximity alarms or a message that tells you it can no longer be relied on for info (issue for folks in icy/snowy climates).
* Same shield gives alarms when folks walk past the car while it's stopped at a light (issue for urban folks with lots of crosswalks. this issue may exist for other car makers too)
* Multiple reports of rotors getting warped after low mileage. I'm sure the very long stopping distance is not helping.
* Infotainment w/CP or AA is very flaky and occassionally requires a reboot by putting the car in Park, shutting off engine, opening driver side door, and restarting the car. Another method exists that involves getting into the Android layer of the system but not everyone will be comfortable messing around here!
* Infotainment needs time to boot up properly before CP/AA will work. If your vehicle is garaged, wait until you see the infotainment screen before backing the car out or your phone may not be recognized.
* Some folks purchase this car w/o realizing there is no spare tire. A compressor and sealant bottle is included to fix flats.

Did I forget anything?
Thats exactly what and how the first post should’ve been, right to the point!
Old 08-31-2022 | 07:23 AM
AZ Community Team

OP, hope you got all your answers and you were able to negotiate a better price or you just skipped Acura and went with an Audi Definitely I recommend you to get an A4 or S4 or even better a G70. You are better off with those brands. More reliable, great resale value and of course better forums to join! Good luck!

Last edited by Tony Pac; 08-31-2022 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2022 | 03:28 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the answers, I'm waaay more educated now and looking forward to buying the typeS

I might have also solved the mystery of the dealership It is simply an overpriced dealership... It was not clear until I tried to talk numbers with them. They do BS package of some treatments/options for $2200 to any car. No thanks! And for new typeS they have 4k markup.

Also noticed another flavor of it when I tried to find typeS out of state. A Las Vegas dealership listed 4 typeS in stock. in fact there is no in stock, only 1 car coming in Sep, others are allocations. And on top of that, they do 10k markup and 2k in BS package. Unbelievable how they have 4.3+ rating everywhere.
Old 09-20-2022 | 06:20 PM
Advanced

Creaking noise

No one mentioned a creaking noise coming from the steering column area. I am considering a 2021 now and on first drive I noticed the creaking. This is a known issue discussed elsewhere on this site.
I have driven many 2021-22 tlx and this is the first to display the problem.
If I replace the steering rack will the problem go away or am I getting into a world of hurt by getting involved?
I sure don't need the headache but if it's a straight part swap.....
Old 09-20-2022 | 07:03 PM
Instructor

Had my steering rack replaced 6 months ago and it corrected the problem. Its a warranty item so why not?
Old 09-20-2022 | 07:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fjpthree
Had my steering rack replaced 6 months ago and it corrected the problem. Its a warranty item so why not?
why not? Because I don't want to spend time playing let's replace this and let's replace that and it's not so bad is it the car still steer s right?
Been down that road with my previous acura.
Way too many trips to the dealer.
Thanks for the vote of confidence though.
Old 09-20-2022 | 07:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kiwi2000
why not? Because I don't want to spend time playing let's replace this and let's replace that and it's not so bad is it the car still steer s right?
Been down that road with my previous acura.
Way too many trips to the dealer.
Thanks for the vote of confidence though.
2021 had its share of issues but I don’t think ‘22 and ‘23 models made any significant changes.
Old 09-20-2022 | 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

No one mentioned a creaking noise coming from the steering column area.
On Page-1 of thread, my post links-out to this page:
https://acurazine.com/forums/6g-tlx-.../#post16817664

... that lists it.

So, sounds like it's not your car yet? If so, but everything else (colors, options, price) are correct, maybe they can fix-it first? Was it a new one or a used one?

Last edited by Tesla1856; 09-20-2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2022 | 06:36 AM
Advanced

It's perfect even has the spare tire. It is used but as new except for the creaking. If I could be assured that replacing the one part will correct it I would jump. But things that are not actually broken are low on the dealers list of priorities.
I can see now, why dont you wait and see it it gets worse ?
gotta decide in the next few hours or the dominos start to tumble.
Old 09-21-2022 | 09:04 AM
Drifting

It's perfect even has the spare tire. It is used but as new except for the creaking. If I could be assured that replacing the one part will correct it I would jump. But things that are not actually broken are low on the dealers list of priorities.
I can see now, why dont you wait and see it it gets worse ?
gotta decide in the next few hours or the dominos start to tumble.
Pros - you have a decent support group here at AZ for any future issues you encounter.

Cons - issue list may be longer than average.
Old 09-28-2022 | 12:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Pros - you have a decent support group here at AZ for any future issues you encounter.

Cons - issue list may be longer than average.
With all respect your "PRO" made me laugh..... Decent Support Group!!! LAMO!!!! Best forum in the world to help owners

Quick Reply: Many pre-owned TLX in dealerships